(Topic ID: 66880)

Microsoft-hosted e-mail problems (Hotmail, Live, Outlook) ... Again!

By robin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by spinal
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 09.23.55 AM.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you a heads up that there appears to be an issue delivering any e-mail to Hotmail addresses. This also includes outlook.com and live.com etc addresses.

I've been trying to figure out what is causing this for some hours but have been unable to. If anyone here has an idea what could be causing this, let me know!

-- Warning, technical mumbo: --
    We have SPF set up on Pinside's DNS as well as DKIM signing. We did not have a valid PTR record (I forgot to set this on the new server) so I have set one up now. This was approximately 35 hours ago, so I'm hoping that it could be related to this in which case the problem should go away by itself soon. The weird thing is that according to log files, mail is being accepted. Microsofts mx server answers with a 250 code, mail queued for delivery, and everything seems to be fine. But no mail ever arrives on my test hotmail account.
    --

So for now, no e-mail is being delivered to Hotmail users, I will let you know as soon as this is fixed.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the help Brett, your ideas put me in the right direction: I found the "safe senders" setting in the Outlook, added Pinside and lo and behold: the message made it through!

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 09.23.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-19 at 09.23.55 AM.png

Checked the e-mail header and everything seems alright:

x-store-info:qAUQJzZ73IJCLUJ+0n7ZQ0FF2dY/LDjE
    Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; spf=pass (sender IP is 198.27.67.186) [email protected]; dkim=pass header.d=pinside.com; x-hmca=pass [email protected]
    X-SID-PRA: [email protected]
    X-AUTH-Result: PASS
    X-SID-Result: PASS
    X-Message-Status: n:n
    X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0wO0Q9MztHRD0zO1NDTD02
    X-Message-Info: 6YO/4nwP5t07BFKTj2pNEhHMWhREPOxTR1zIoxj5CvtFVOR6wm5HycaPnMpihfEMhVURGDrhkosvXLCr4mPReqbjm6U7CZu1g3Cq0zkxlLeKB4Ivz9ckxBXCiyvGjsfBJyJZyq7dCOu/MjpC4cGJsVVl9ntkFNJ54OouCP3wRJVnAAa1cQV7tsMo+JlKUnoycHh9oszjrAGmXKilFGU/R6BsuXfRNtEb
    Received: from pinside.com ([198.27.67.186]) by SNT0-MC2-F46.Snt0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4900);
    Sat, 19 Oct 2013 00:19:04 -0700
    Received: from pinside.com (pinside.com [198.27.67.186])
    by pinside.com (Postfix) with ESMTPA id 8F5733C0F13
    for <[email protected]>; Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:19:13 +0200 (CEST)
    DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=pinside.com;
    s=maple; t=1382167153;
    bh=mJ8Rc/AIEhHhl31B/LTJIxkOxOw7qgA9a0uYUNra0po=;
    h=Date:To:From:Subject:From;
    b=VpkV4xvAKyv2n3YNGbYINgP1k1klLD2Fme+9qsO3WRCvPZotDH16gsTAF2ng304Ce
    HP66hrIiX7IMc+FNofdXD0XAoGrQrrCSPtIcVzd4BjzW3DUXwijlsPrHxZkyDWTzHz
    rvzfcQCXLF44CzlHxMpra4haC+JRL3pWgwsiNlBI=
    Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:19:13 +0200
    To: Gizza <[email protected]>
    Subject: Reset your new Pinside.com password!
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: PHPMailer 5.2.7 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/)
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="b1_01bb6f58fa9d3f0d8bc2f15dd0d361da"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    Return-Path: [email protected]
    X-OriginalArrivalTime: 19 Oct 2013 07:19:04.0448 (UTC) FILETIME=[7DE50000:01CECC9B]

--b1_01bb6f58fa9d3f0d8bc2f15dd0d361da
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Saturday 19th of October 2013

#5 10 years ago

So now the question remains, why is MS not liking Pinside e-mails? It could very well be the IP change on the Pinside server, question is: how to solve this? Get in touch with MS?

#11 10 years ago

I did a small update to the "lost password" feature. If you use this with an account that has not yet been activated, it will re-send your activation code.

I have been working hard on getting our e-mails more "trusted", which should hopefully decrease Pinside mail going into spam folders. It would be great if you could add Pinside.com to your list of trusted senders/domains in your Hotmail, GMail etc..

#13 10 years ago

Copied from another thread, concerning the problems for users on Microsoft mail accounts:

Quoted from robin:

The problem is our recent server change. This also changed the IP address for Pinside.com (no way around that unfortunately) and apparently has "reset" our reputation with Microsoft. Huh? Only Microsoft? Yes, right now this issue seems to be only present for Microsoft mail users: That means hotmail, outlook.com, live etc.
    I have done everything in my power to let Pinside be a "good" sender (spf, ptr, dkim, sender id, etc etc) but according to Microsoft they need some weeks of e-mail so I can built up reputation. Yeah right. The frustrating thing is that all e-mail is reported by microsoft to have been delivered (status 250) but the mails ar enowhere to be found. Not in junk, nowhere.
    All I can say at this time is this: if you really miss this feature you're gonna have to
    a) wait it out, according to microsoft a few weeks
    b) switch to another email provider (like Gmail)
    c) you can try to add Pinside.com to your "trusted senders" in your Outlook.com settings. This helped some users on Hotmail accounts but not everyone.
    Maybe if we all start adding Pinside.com as a trusted sender then we can shorten the time it takes to build up reputation?
    Maybe someone here reading this works for microsoft and can help out?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Robin,
    Have you been to mxtoolbox.com and checked the domain to see if you are on any blacklist? There are others out there as well that you can run tests on. Also, make sure that the Pinside mail server is not sending NDR's as this can get you flagged. One other thing is make sure Pinside mail server is not set up as an open relay.

Yes, I did all the tests there can be found online. No blacklists, and everything seems to be configured right.

Quoted from RCA1:

My Hotmail account seems to be delivering PMs from Pinside, but I think my marketwatch email notifications are being blocked. I'll try adding Pinside to safe senders and see what happens.
    Thanks Robin!

Sorry, marketwatch e-mails have been disabled for a while as I try to get our transactional e-mails back on track.

Quoted from Timmay:

Hey there. The only thing I've done longer than working for Hotmail (Windows Live Hotmail, Outlook.com) is play pinball. First time registered user/post... I've forwarded this to our spam and safety program manager and will get back to you when I hear something.

That's awesome, thanks! I didn't expect anyone from Microsoft to be reading this, ha ha more proof that pinball is really everywhere!

Quoted from o-din:

New problem. The little envelope shows I have pinside mail, but it's not in my folder. I send a response, and the new messages show up in the thread, but the old ones disappear.

Is this still happening? Are the messages archived? Or removed by the other user? Tough bug to fix without more parameters...

7 years later
    #22 3 years ago

Bad news! It looks like these email delivery issues have returned. All emails to @outlook.com @live.com @hotmail.com addresses will bounce.

This means if you are on one of the microsoft-hosted email domains, you won't receive Marketwatch or PM notifications.

I have contacted Microsoft support so hopefully this can get resolved soon. Pinside's mail server IP address is not on any blacklist, so this really seems to be isolated to Microsoft, just like it happened almost 7 years ago.

When this gets resolved, I will update here.

If you absolutely need your notifications to work today, all I can suggest at this point is to switch your e-mail address to something else for Pinside (you can do this in your user settings) or, if you don't have another email address available, sign up for a Gmail (or other) account (and from there, optionally set up automatic forwarding to your Microsoft address).

#29 3 years ago

Update! I have been in contact with Microsoft and they have removed us from their IP blacklist. I will also be taking some steps to prevent this from happening in the future. Fingers crossed!

3 weeks later
    #32 2 years ago

Yup, I was in touch with the Outlook team today and gotta say, they do respond quick. Kudos to them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microsoft-hosted-e-mail-problems-hotmail-live-outlook?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.