(Topic ID: 309858)

Michigan Pinball clubs

By unclerudy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Does anything like this exist? Are there any clubs that you can join, so there are a group of people that you can meet, that are all interested in pinball? How I would see it is that a group of people have a monthly meeting, that rotates around to different people's houses, and get to play machines. Maybe food is involved, maybe some drinking, but definitely some fellowship and playing games. Every meeting would have a business portion, talk about upcoming events, maybe have a discussion about technical topics, maybe have teaching moments, maybe sharing some game play tips, and documenting high scores, and offering challenges.

If this doesn't exist, would anyone want to start a group with me? I am new to the topic, and am just getting my first pin next month hopefully. This would maybe be similar to a league, but be very home focused, and not too hardcore. I belong to a homebrewing club, and this is exactly what we do, but just in regards to making beer instead of playing pinball.

#3 2 years ago

There is a Detroit Pinball League (DPL) that meets monthly. We rotate houses, bring a snack to pass, and everyone chips in for pizza. It's a tournament style league and many of us have been involved in it for 15+ years. There are some requirements to join, such as owning at least 5 games so you are able to host at your house. PM me if you're interested.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

Does anything like this exist? Are there any clubs that you can join, so there are a group of people that you can meet, that are all interested in pinball? How I would see it is that a group of people have a monthly meeting, that rotates around to different people's houses, and get to play machines. Maybe food is involved, maybe some drinking, but definitely some fellowship and playing games. Every meeting would have a business portion, talk about upcoming events, maybe have a discussion about technical topics, maybe have teaching moments, maybe sharing some game play tips, and documenting high scores, and offering challenges.
    If this doesn't exist, would anyone want to start a group with me? I am new to the topic, and am just getting my first pin next month hopefully. This would maybe be similar to a league, but be very home focused, and not too hardcore. I belong to a homebrewing club, and this is exactly what we do, but just in regards to making beer instead of playing pinball.

Quoted from mmuglia:

There is a Detroit Pinball League (DPL) that meets monthly. We rotate houses, bring a snack to pass, and everyone chips in for pizza. It's a tournament style league and many of us have been involved in it for 15+ years. There are some requirements to join, such as owning at least 5 games so you are able to host at your house. PM me if you're interested.

That sounds exactly like something I would love to join. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to join yet, being that my first machine is supposed to come next month. I guess I will have to wait until I get more.

#5 2 years ago

unclerudy I'm a bit further north than you, but I do like the thought of what you're describing. As much as I enjoy playing, it wouldn't necessarily have to be the only focus of whatever club/gathering/association for me to enjoy it. I find myself reading piles of threads here to get my pinball talk fix--which is fun, but I'd definitely like to find a group of pinball folks to actually socialize with in person.

#6 2 years ago

There was one that met up at M-Brew for events and I made it up to that once. It was pretty cool. I enjoy playing and trying different machines but actually not that good of a player. My specialty is high end board repairs, upgraded, and lately some new boards and enhancements. Basically better at fixing than playing.

#7 2 years ago

I'm in Brighton, and would be very interested in something like this too. Though I consider myself an average player.

#8 2 years ago

For being a "pinball guy", I'm probably far below average as a player, but compared to my friends/family, I am indeed that deaf, dumb, and blind kid that sure plays a mean pinball. I've never played in a tournament. I just like seeing and playing different games and learning about what makes them tick. I got into pinball ownership thinking it was more of a solo thing, but then I discovered that I enjoy the people just as much as the games. I really enjoy tinkering on my games when I have to do repairs, but things like "board work" sort of intimidate me. I'd love to explore that some more.

#9 2 years ago

There are also clubs that play on location, so if you only have one game, or none at all, you can still be part of a league.

I've been in the Detroit Pinball League since the beginning, and while some guys are really good players and actually concentrate on scores, for a lot of us it's more about getting off the couch once a month and drinking some beer and eating way too much food. Which is great. No pressure and lots of laughs.

#10 2 years ago

I don't want to step on anyone's toes. That's why I was asking. I am part of multiple clubs for my other hobbies, and I love meeting up with different people and sharing our common interest.

#11 2 years ago

we have pinball league at Marvin's the first friday of every month. look up marvin's pinball league on facebook. hasn't started back up yet due to covid but is supposed to next month. always a good time and you play in a group of 4 usually and play 5 games for the night. only costs you the coin drop. good times.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

There are also clubs that play on location, so if you only have one game, or none at all, you can still be part of a league.
    I've been in the Detroit Pinball League since the beginning, and while some guys are really good players and actually concentrate on scores, for a lot of us it's more about getting off the couch once a month and drinking some beer and eating way too much food. Which is great. No pressure and lots of laughs.

I would love to meet up with some of you guys in the DPL, and the socialization and food and beer sound like what I want to do. I do want to also play pinball. I am guessing the 5 pin minimum is to make sure that you are serious about pinball, and don't want just anyone to just show up who you don't know. I just hope that the rules that you have don't turn people off to the hobby. And if you are happy with the group that attends, and don't want to grow, that's fine also. I was just trying to find something related to pinball that was similar to my homebrew meetings, where we learn, socialize, and eat and drink.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

I would love to meet up with some of you guys in the DPL, and the socialization and food and beer sound like what I want to do. I do want to also play pinball. I am guessing the 5 pin minimum is to make sure that you are serious about pinball, and don't want just anyone to just show up who you don't know. I just hope that the rules that you have don't turn people off to the hobby. And if you are happy with the group that attends, and don't want to grow, that's fine also. I was just trying to find something related to pinball that was similar to my homebrew meetings, where we learn, socialize, and eat and drink.

The 5 pin thing is that we want people in the league that can host.

The rules are there to protect the games (No pounding on the glass, setting drinks on games etc), and then like what do we do if a ball gets stuck someplace in the middle of a game. Nothing like "you must wear DPL approved clothing" or anything lol. There's also a travel/distance limit but I think South Lyon is within it - we have members from Ann Arbor out to Macomb and everywhere in between.

It's really casual - when someone approached me years ago about the league I said I wasn't interested, I didnt want to turn something fun into a competition. He assured me that it's pretty laid back, beer and basement league, it's as serious as you wanna make it, and 15 years later, I'm still there. We're in a growing stage right now, in fact just got a new member last week.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

The 5 pin thing is that we want people in the league that can host.
    The rules are there to protect the games (No pounding on the glass, setting drinks on games etc), and then like what do we do if a ball gets stuck someplace in the middle of a game. Nothing like "you must wear DPL approved clothing" or anything lol. There's also a travel/distance limit but I think South Lyon is within it - we have members from Ann Arbor out to Macomb and everywhere in between.
    It's really casual - when someone approached me years ago about the league I said I wasn't interested, I didnt want to turn something fun into a competition. He assured me that it's pretty laid back, beer and basement league, it's as serious as you wanna make it, and 15 years later, I'm still there. We're in a growing stage right now, in fact just got a new member last week.

As I said, I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes, or say anything that was mean or derogatory. The first rule with any group is always be respectful. Find out what they expect, and try to exceed their expectations. But don't go crazy. Treat others homes better than yours. Don't break anything, or do anything that would be looked down upon. If you are new to something, go ahead and ask questions, but try to listen to what everyone is saying, and see if you can pick up on what you want to know. Don't feel bad for not knowing something. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

And I understand wanting people to participate. That's the whole point. If you are at the same places constantly, people might get bored, and you want enough machines for the most number to participate at the same time. You don't want people standing around if they want to be playing pinball, and depending on their skill, it might take a while for a ball to end.

#15 2 years ago

Everyone that is in the DPL is supposed to have enough games to be able to host, and we play on 5 games on league night. It is better to have 6 games so there is a backup game in case one game breaks during league play. Being able to host is a requirement so the same people don't get burdened by having to host all the time.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

Evryone that is in the DPL is supposed to have enough games to be able to host, and we play on 5 games on league night. It is better to have 6 games so there is a backup game in case one game breaks during league play. Being able to host is a requirement so the same people don't get burdened by having to host all the time.

All of the things that you are asking for sound perfectly reasonable for having a league to belong to. I was just more looking for something more casual, but doing pretty much the same things. Rotating locations, playing pinball, having socialization, eating and drinking, learning about things and having a night out. You wouldn't have to be there every night. I guess it would be a club, instead of a league. I don't know how many people would be looking for something like that, but don't have enough machines to participate.

A couple of years ago I was able to go to the VFW hall pinball location in Whitmore Lake for a group homebrew club meeting. Lots of people who don't have pins were able to meet other people, share some beers, and play pinball. It was a really fun evening. I have wanted to recreate that on a smaller scale for quite a while. Nothing serious, but still enjoyable.

#17 2 years ago

I would be interested in making some pinball friends. Would rather meat up at pinball bars before I start going to houses or inviting groups over. Plus my house is in full fixer upper mode right now.

#18 2 years ago

Looking forward to *trying to* crash these as an “out of towner” sub some day. Grew up in The D and now I host/operate in ATL.

I have always frequented Marvin’s and M-Brew :’( and Pete’s when in town with family.

#19 2 years ago

I am in the Detroit area and would be happy to meet new pinball friends.

#20 2 years ago

Hmmm ... I should step up the priority on finishing my basement remodel.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

All of the things that you are asking for sound perfectly reasonable for having a league to belong to. I was just more looking for something more casual, but doing pretty much the same things. Rotating locations, playing pinball, having socialization, eating and drinking, learning about things and having a night out. You wouldn't have to be there every night. I guess it would be a club, instead of a league. I don't know how many people would be looking for something like that, but don't have enough machines to participate.
    A couple of years ago I was able to go to the VFW hall pinball location in Whitmore Lake for a group homebrew club meeting. Lots of people who don't have pins were able to meet other people, share some beers, and play pinball. It was a really fun evening. I have wanted to recreate that on a smaller scale for quite a while. Nothing serious, but still enjoyable.

We are looking to put something together for the Brighton area. What type of event it will be hasn't been fully defined yet (league, just get together, etc). It would be a monthly thing and we would rotate houses. More to follow in the next few days.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from mmuglia:

We are looking to put something together for the Brighton area. What type of event it will be hasn't been fully defined yet (league, just get together, etc). It would be a monthly thing and we would rotate houses. More to follow in the next few days.

Count me in!

#23 2 years ago

Did M Brew shut down for good?

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from SNES:

Did M Brew shut down for good?

Looks that way, I was gonna go last weekend, glad I checked first, says closed permanently.

#25 2 years ago

As mmuglia mentioned we are forming a Brighton Pinball Club! More details here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brighton-mi-pinball-club

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Looks that way, I was gonna go last weekend, glad I checked first, says closed permanently.

Dang, that sucks. I thought I had heard that it was just temporary but it has been so long I kind of figured that might be the case. I liked that place!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from CypherPinball:

As mmuglia mentioned we are forming a Brighton Pinball Club! More details here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brighton-mi-pinball-club

That sounds fun! Bit far from me, but cool nonetheless. Need someone to start something up in northern Oakland county!

#28 2 years ago

There’s the Speakeasy Special group that goes to various locations in Metro Detroit on a weekly basis. They are always welcoming new people to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/252752449943046/?ref=share

#29 2 years ago

Looks like there is 3 people so far interested in the Brighton area club. If anyone who posted here can comment on that thread, that would be great!

#30 2 years ago

We have a Traverse City Pinball Club and do double-elim tourneys Thursdays 7pm at right brain brewing!

2 months later
    #31 1 year ago
    Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I would be interested in making some pinball friends. Would rather meat up at pinball bars before I start going to houses or inviting groups over. Plus my house is in full fixer upper mode right now.

Every Thursday night at RLM amusements on Plainfield there is a very fun casual tournament. Also did you get your CCr yet? Mine showed up yesterday.

#32 1 year ago

What tournaments are going on in southeast Michigan right now? Preferably not on a Friday night? I’m not on Facebook and I know most of the tournament stuff is there. I used to play every other week either at M Brew or Sparks. M Brew was on Wednesdays and Sparks was on Mondays. I know M brew closed down which is a bummer, had a lot of fun playing there. I’ve been to Freeplay just to play, great place, and last time I was there they only had tournaments on Friday’s. With 2 young kids Friday night is always family night, either getting pizza and watching a movie or hanging out with the cousins. Thanks

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

What tournaments are going on in southeast Michigan right now? Preferably not on a Friday night? I’m not on Facebook and I know most of the tournament stuff is there. I used to play every other week either at M Brew or Sparks. M Brew was on Wednesdays and Sparks was on Mondays. I know M brew closed down which is a bummer, had a lot of fun playing there. I’ve been to Freeplay just to play, great place, and last time I was there they only had tournaments on Friday’s. With 2 young kids Friday night is always family night, either getting pizza and watching a movie or hanging out with the cousins. Thanks

https://facebook.com/events/s/spookys-ultraman-launch-party/252568446952361/

2 weeks later
    #34 1 year ago

Pinball Land in Rockford Mi, is starting a wed night casual league. Just hanging out fun and food iirc.

9 months later
    #35 1 year ago

It's a bit north, but Traverse City Pinball Club meets every Thursday night 7pm at Right Brain Brewery. Tourney with rotating formats every Thursday night, 35 games of all eras, everyone welcome! Games are clean, level, and well maintained.

#36 1 year ago

Come on over. No club to join here and the door is always open.

John

#37 1 year ago

Belleville MI, door always open.

Ladies night is Mon - Sun.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Come on over. No club to join here and the door is always open.
    John

Man you hooked me on pinball decades ago. Not sure if you recall I think our last transaction you picked up a Addams from me with all the parts for full restoration Kruz playfield decal and ramps.

The first time at your place I bought a bunch of parts from under your stairwell. Thanks for being a great guy and one of the first I met in the hobby.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/michigan-pinball-clubs?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.