4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gottguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mibs lights (resized).jpg
    EF2A6A80-E984-4553-AD4A-BF59B88481A1 (resized).jpeg
    E4D27CBA-1CA7-455E-88AF-79AA1091B4D2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Picked up a nice MIBS pinball today for $300 with just a little over 6000 plays. The only problem I’m having is the 4 bulbs behind “MIBS” and the one behind “TILT” are not working. I did try new bulbs. Where do I start looking for problems?

Also, I had to drill out the coin door lock and the head unit lock to get into it. Where’s a good place to get replacements for them?

Thanks for any help!

E4D27CBA-1CA7-455E-88AF-79AA1091B4D2 (resized).jpegE4D27CBA-1CA7-455E-88AF-79AA1091B4D2 (resized).jpegEF2A6A80-E984-4553-AD4A-BF59B88481A1 (resized).jpegEF2A6A80-E984-4553-AD4A-BF59B88481A1 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

Only the score illumination lights are always on:
    Mibs lights (resized).jpgMibs lights (resized).jpg
    The four bulbs behind the name (and the match lights) only work when the XB/Game Over relay has tripped. The Tilt light only works when the TB/Tilt relay has tripped. If those relays trip and the lights don't come on check the switches shown above.

Locks can be found at Pinball Resource, Marco, Pinball Life, ebay, etc. Just beware that they come in several lengths so you'll need to know what length lock you're replacing.

/Mark

#3 4 years ago

Thanks Mark

#4 4 years ago

Gottlieb had the marque lights off to reduce glare while playing. This is for many EM games in the 1970's.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]
    The four bulbs behind the name (and the match lights) only work when the XB/Game Over relay has tripped. The Tilt light only works when the TB/Tilt relay has tripped. If those relays trip and the lights don't come on check the switches shown above.
    Locks can be found at Pinball Resource, Marco, Pinball Life, ebay, etc. Just beware that they come in several lengths so you'll need to know what length lock you're replacing.
    /Mark

My 0-9 brass contacts are filthy and I have yet to clean them. I had the same problem last week with my Cross Town and when I followed the advice of the guys on here the number match lights came back to life. I’ll let you know how I make out. Thanks!!!!

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from The--Who:

My 0-9 brass contacts are filthy and I have yet to clean them. I had the same problem last week with my Cross Town and when I followed the advice of the guys on here the number match lights came back to life. I’ll let you know how I make out. Thanks!!!!

Didn't realize "Mibs" still has bells and that big 0-9 unit. I just checked on IPDB. I thought it had chimes and a later type unit.
    Edit: Apparently "Mibs" is the last Gottlieb with bells. Chimes were used thereafter.

#7 4 years ago

Gottlieb located the 10 point bell and 100 point (gong) bell and the replay knocker in Mibs on the right hand side of the lower cabinet, most likely because the animated unit in the head took up a lot of space and there were no room for either bell. I'm not sure what other wedgeheads have this design. I know Big Hit has a 100 point bell located in the lower cabinet on the left hand side of the game just pass the tilt bob assembly, along with the triple bar chime unit on the left side of the lower cabinet.

I think Rack a Ball which is the same playfield and game design as Mibs doesn't have a 100 point bell? I viewed a picture on IPDB and the 10 point bell is located in the lower cabinet all the way in the back of the lower left corner of the game, along with the replay knocker.

There isn't a picture on IPDB of a Bowling Queens lower cabinet ,so i'm not sure about the 10 point bell location or the 100 point bell on this game, which also has the same playfield layout as Mibs. Maybe Bowling Queen doesn't have a 100 point bell?

When Mibs scores 500 points (five whacks on the gong bell) for any of the 12 rollovers being scored and or a replay for balls scored, along with high score for replays at the same time, the player for really gets an ear full of how noticeably loud those late 1960's wedgeheads really sounded back then compared to other 1960 wedgeheads.

Check it out
    https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1589&picno=35606

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]
    /Mark

I cleaned up the brass contacts on the 0-9 unit and now the TILT lights up when I trigger it. Not sure about the match numbers or “MIBS” lighting up because I can’t get it to reset to get to the end of a game.

Now I have a problem with the motor beside the game count box spinning and not resetting. Another member sent me a schematic of what switches to look at, but it might as well be written in Chinese with my limited knowledge. I’ll probably have to find somebody around here that can look at it.

#9 4 years ago

Everything up and running. I knew everything was functioning when I pick it up today, so I decided to retrace my steps. The first thing I did was unplug the two Jones connectors that connects the head to the cabinet and give them a cleaning. That was my problem, even though it was working when I first brought it home. Match working, replay wheel lowering, “MIBS” lighting up when game over.
    B
    On the bright side, I did find a local repair guy with reasonable rates for when the time comes that I do need a repair and can’t pull something out of my rear-end.
    Thanks for all your help.......you guys are a great resource for a noob like me.

#10 4 years ago

Those backbox balls will clean up really well with Novus 2 and alot of elbow grease

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mibs-title-amp-tilt-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.