MGOW Pop Bumper Dead

By fodorfolde

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi All,

The Mars God of War machine I picked up on a great deal had a few issues. So far, the forum has been awesome in helping a noob like me along.... Now that I near the finish line, it's time to tackle the "biggest" problem:

One of the four pop bumpers is dead. Light works (whatever) but there's no action at all in the bumper. I checked the solder joints. Seems ok. I checked the switch connection, and it seems to be fine. The pop bumper was dead before I installed a Pascal Board (awesome btw), and there's no change since that installation.

The thing just has no juice. I've looked at Vid's guide to rebuilding pop bumpers, but that seems more about improving something that sort of works. This one is just doing nothing. I can add pics if that might help...

In advance, if anyone can throw me a suggestion (advice or redirection), it is very much appreciated.
Cheers!
Bobby C

#2 3 years ago

Tried cleaning the contacts with a burnisher... nuthin'

#3 3 years ago

Each pop is controlled by a pop bumper driver board. PBDB. You could have cold solder joints on header pins or an issue with the board. You can swap in / or compare with one of the working ones. There are mods ( factory service bulletin ) you should check to make sure yours are done.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks CNKay for the learning. Seriously!

I located the PDBD for the non-working pop bumper, unplugged it and plugged in the connection from one of the working pop bumpers. Worked. So that isolates the problem to the actual pop bumper (logic would suggest).

I resoldered the connections and still nothing. I suppose I will next remove two of the pop bumpers.... Resolder one of the working ones into the position where there are issues and check if it works. If it does, I'll look over the non-working pop bumper and post again. If my thinking is flawed though, please correct me.

This is actually fun... especially with all the help.

#5 3 years ago

Here is a video i did a while back on this very topic. i hope it helps.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from fodorfolde:

Thanks CNKay for the learning. Seriously!
I located the PDBD for the non-working pop bumper, unplugged it and plugged in the connection from one of the working pop bumpers. Worked. So that isolates the problem to the actual pop bumper (logic would suggest).
I resoldered the connections and still nothing. I suppose I will next remove two of the pop bumpers.... Resolder one of the working ones into the position where there are issues and check if it works. If it does, I'll look over the non-working pop bumper and post again. If my thinking is flawed though, please correct me.
This is actually fun... especially with all the help.

I have a MGoW as well and experienced the same issue but when I moved the driver board to another bumper that one didn't fire. My problem ended up being the cold solder joints (as suggested in another post).

I didn't watch the video so I apologize if any of this is covered there. Check the switch at the bumper and make sure it is closing correctly when the ball hits. One other thing to check is that the female connector is also making a connection with the pop bumper driver board as well as a solid connection back at the boards back behind the back glass (if they originate there, I'm pretty sure they do but didn't have to go this far).

It wouldn't hurt to reflow solder on those pop bumper driver boards anyway. I fixed one, put it back in the machine and it worked and another one had failed for precisely the same reason within just a few minutes after reinstalling. I ended up reflowing them all and doing the system 80 pop bumper upgrades just for the peace of mind that it was fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgow-pop-bumper-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.