(Topic ID: 197699)

Official MGC 2018 thread- New location confirmed-Wisconsin center!

By cavalier88z24

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HOTDOG (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    polka.jpg
    20180414_010636 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180416_200346358 (resized).jpg
    7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg
    30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg
    30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg
    30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg
    30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg
    police_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpg
    signal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpg
    20180415_224214 (resized).jpg
    20180415_222519 (resized).jpg
    128C7400-87D8-4EE7-B2F1-823720D8118D (resized).jpeg
    486AF450-107A-4DB7-AF9E-8EBCE4CB9FE2 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider s1500.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#210 6 years ago

A great idea for MGC would be to rent out an entire....town. MGCville. All space problems are gone. goatdan will be given a golf cart to go around. Tons of parking. Hopefully lots of lodging. No space issues with pinball machines. An out-of-business store can be put back into business for one weekend.

BenHeck, can you make an LED display for the population sign so it real-time updates with tickets taken in?

#330 6 years ago

I'm gonna shoot for the Hyatt. After reading Pinside, I don't want to stay in a hotel called "Hilton". Just..no.

#338 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

nice!
    I am going to put in a special request in for my room to be adjoining with yours

Managed to get a room at the Hyatt. I opted for the king size bed, as, well, I'm selfish.

Cripes those are some wide hallways. Think of how many pins could fit in there. Well, not an issue since there's a convention center now.

#367 6 years ago

Toys R Us will now be relieved of not having MGC goers taking up their parking spots. Of course, news just broke out that they are filing for bankruptcy, so MGC is the least of their worries.

Funny, I thought the Sears would have gone belly-up sooner than TRU. Imagine having a convention at Sears. You could recreate the Atari 2600 game display like it was in 1980. Some classic computer convention was once held at an out-of-business Circuit City(how appropriate).

#401 6 years ago

Interesting. Looking at scheduling, I could actually take Amtrak to MGC from St. Paul.

#414 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Oh man! I should look into posting about this. I LOVE the train, no kidding.

And I didn't drop mentioning it as my father worked for Amtrak. I once took Amtrak from MSP to Chicago to see women's roller derby finals, and it was truly nostalgic since I didn't ride Amtrak in almost 30 years. Tons of leg room, and the conductor will even tell you of upcoming smoke break opportunities at stops.

It's morning from MSP to Milwaukee, and evening the way back, so can walk 2 blocks after MGC closes to the train station. Tempting...

1 week later
    #568 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, the last few years they started saying we brought multiple millions to the local economy, I was always just interested at how they got there.

Two words: alcohol sales.

6 months later
    #944 6 years ago

With the dang snow today, I'm so glad I booked Amtrak tickets instead of getting my Honda in a ditch. Sure, it might clear up on Friday, but, well, yeah.

1 week later
    #1112 6 years ago

Darnit, Amtrak just announced they are cancelling Empire Builder(the one I'm on) for tomorrow. Calling customer service to waive the $30 cost to cancel it.

EDIT: Just called cust. service & operations, train for Friday MSP-MKE is still on.

#1142 6 years ago

Enjoying the show so far, but a bit disappointed in the Center's security staff playing traffic cop for no real reason. They wouldn't let people up the escalators(to level 3) at various times for no reason, saying it's up to their supervisor.

#1161 6 years ago

As a Minnesotan, I'm wondering how the heck am I gonna get home. I'm betting Amtrak is gonna have a cancellation or a super delay.

Can we just extend Sunday to close at 8pm or something? Heh

#1196 6 years ago

There was definitely no waiting to play Iron Maiden nor the ColorDMD Attack from Mars pins. WOW there was a lot for many to play.

#1391 6 years ago

I had fun as always. I'm with my own kind. Only saw 3 games on the floor that were down for the whole weekend, 2 were not for sale. Odd. Hmm..

I will say I do miss the coziness of it being under one hotel, but understood the need to expand to much larger space. There was always that free parking lot called "Sears". They just don't make a hotel big enough for all that retro gaming. The reason why we have crazy attendances is because of snowy weather. We stayed inside in the winter & played video games. That's why there's no Hawaii Gaming Classic(where you can surf in).

The food options were slightly better, kinda. There was a coffee shop in the convention center that was closed as far as I can remember. Guess they didn't want all that business. The King and Thai across the street was great(from the hotel), George Webb was a nice breakfast option that was open 24 hours.

The "Shops on Grand" mall had some food options, but otherwise a decaying mall.

WOW there were a ton of Iron Maidens there. Stern did good with all that space. Never thought I would see no waiting to play AFM with all the pins ColorDMD brought.

Got some shopping in, reuniting me with a book I haven't had since '82. There was a LOT of shopping possible.

Amtrak pulled through my commute from the twin cities & back, only being a short walk from the convention center. The Empire Builder route I was on was sold out on the way back.

Sunday morning had pretty much zero wait for games if you wanted to get some last minute plays in. By 2pm, I was burnt out.

Suggestions for next year's show: A screening room for various video game documentaries(Chasing Ghosts, etc) & movies(Wreck-It Ralph, etc) and Joy Sticks when the kiddies are gone.

#1394 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Glad you made it back safe and sound.
    LTG : )

Thanks for the offer. After the train ride, it was a 20 minute bus ride, and a 6 block walk to home, and going thru snow to get to the back of my house to get in the door. My father worked for Amtrak, so it was an obligation somewhat to take the train.

#1421 6 years ago

I believe there were more playable pins this year than all of any one Pinball Expo show play area, a show devoted to pinball. That wedge-shaped NES clone that I saw with 4 ports + HDMI + Famicom port + built-in Game Genie was beautiful.

Kind of weird the convention center had 1 little podium selling beer, where thousands more $ in beer could have been sold. Didn't the hotel last year run out of beer? Weird that I swore I saw a brewery, a place devoted to making beer, not more than 2 blocks away.

2 months later
    #1447 5 years ago

Does anyone remember the vendor they had that brought empty, unpainted arcade cabinets? IIRC they were in Wisconsin. Does anyone have their contact info?(website, etc)

#1449 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I believe it is prince arcades in bolingbrook IL . He spams the shit out of Chicago Craigstlist with his crap cabinets. I hope you looked that those cabinets are not real wood.

Well, darn. I thought it was WI, and the cabs looked solid. I'm looking to build a MAME cabinet, and getting a just-right empty cabinet seems harder than it should be. I wish IKEA had a solution. Not a bartop, not a cocktail, but upright.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider s1500.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-moving-locations?tu=s1500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.