(Topic ID: 197699)

Official MGC 2018 thread- New location confirmed-Wisconsin center!

By cavalier88z24

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,450 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by KellyCorcoran
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 173 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

HOTDOG (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    polka.jpg
    20180414_010636 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180416_200346358 (resized).jpg
    7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg
    30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg
    30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg
    30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg
    30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg
    police_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpg
    signal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpg
    20180415_224214 (resized).jpg
    20180415_222519 (resized).jpg
    128C7400-87D8-4EE7-B2F1-823720D8118D (resized).jpeg
    486AF450-107A-4DB7-AF9E-8EBCE4CB9FE2 (resized).jpeg

There are 1450 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 29.
    #401 2 years ago

Interesting. Looking at scheduling, I could actually take Amtrak to MGC from St. Paul.

#402 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Yes and butbon barrel scotch ale. Delicious.
    Can't bring my growler in to the after party this year though.

Just keep it in the hotel room and save it for the party after the after party .

#403 2 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Well then let's start with , who's bringing what?
    I am bringing Total Nuclear Annihilation .

I am bringing Total Nuclear Annihilation!

Can we link them up to play head to head by then?

#404 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am bringing Total Nuclear Annihilation!
    Can we link them up to play head to head by then?

Two for the tournament!?

#405 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Dan your picture hints fits our bad pics from MGC thread.

I may have been inspired by that because for the MGC at least, that is seriously my favorite pics thread.

Ok, let me shoot straight for a moment...

MGC is probably the biggest show like it, but really that's not what we want to say. We're not the biggest place in the universe, I'm not Mr. Awesome-Pants that can move mountains, and we don't get many big announcements. But we LIKE that.

The MGC is all about being basically a bunch of small shows all crammed together. It's about highlighting the dude who decided to collect all the stuff for the Super A'Can and who wants to share it, and the people who may not give a flying flip about the A'Can but are interested to see that guy's passions and celebrate it with him. It's about lifting up and highlighting us as a community, one that is accepting and awesome.

We gain nothing from people who show up hoping that we are bigger or better than X, because I can name you shows in the country that are bigger and better at X for every individual thing. The things we are better at are things that are inherently small in nature, and so while the "small show" running gag is something that really amuses me, the truth is I know and it also really fits us.

To me, I'd rather have something like this where the people who travel to the show see it and think it's ridiculously goofy, but aren't sitting there hearing that it's got the most pinball machines in the country (it doesn't), it's got the biggest arcade hall in the universe (I think you need to visit Galloping Ghost for that), it's got the best industry people (others do more), or whatever. If you come, I'd rather you see everything looking goofy, and then immerse yourself in the fun world of characters and people who all want to celebrate together.

The world is a fractured place that seems to grow more fractured all the time. The MGC is a place to remember that we're all just people, having fun and enjoying a related hobby that we all love together. The thing that makes it great is definitely NOT Dan Loosen or Gary Heil and our love of whatever, the thing that makes it great is EVERYONE who comes out and passionately shares their love of gaming.

4907175528_7b95bfac46_b (resized).jpg

#406 2 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Interesting. Looking at scheduling, I could actually take Amtrak to MGC from St. Paul.

Oh man! I should look into posting about this. I LOVE the train, no kidding.

#407 2 years ago

Also yes Cental Water's bourban barrel scotch ale and stout are both really good .And this one (space ghost) I typically don't really care for beers with stuff like this added , but central waters nailed it . It is a nice balence of flavours. Chili(ghost ) peppers in an imperial stout .

beer_224495 (resized).jpg

#408 2 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I am bringing Total Nuclear Annihilation.

I am bringing Golden Zacs.

...and maybe a game, if the wife and soon-to-be baby don't make the trip.

#409 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Two for the tournament!?

If needed , it could be used there but I would prefer it to be in the freeplay room so the general public has access to this awesome game .

#410 2 years ago

I will probably have Caribbean Cruise, and with any luck, unless I sell them to people beforehand who come get them although knowing my time... HA! ...maybe about 10 machines.

I need to finish the basement and work on my machines, but I need to finish the bathroom first, as we have a foreign exchange teacher moving in with us in a couple weeks, and right now only one bathroom!

#411 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I may have been inspired by that because for the MGC at least, that is seriously my favorite pics thread.
    Ok, let me shoot straight for a moment...
    MGC is probably the biggest show like it, but really that's not what we want to say. We're not the biggest place in the universe, I'm not Mr. Awesome-Pants that can move mountains, and we don't get many big announcements. But we LIKE that.
    The MGC is all about being basically a bunch of small shows all crammed together. It's about highlighting the dude who decided to collect all the stuff for the Super A'Can and who wants to share it, and the people who may not give a flying flip about the A'Can but are interested to see that guy's passions and celebrate it with him. It's about lifting up and highlighting us as a community, one that is accepting and awesome.
    We gain nothing from people who show up hoping that we are bigger or better than X, because I can name you shows in the country that are bigger and better at X for every individual thing. The things we are better at are things that are inherently small in nature, and so while the "small show" running gag is something that really amuses me, the truth is I know and it also really fits us.
    To me, I'd rather have something like this where the people who travel to the show see it and think it's ridiculously goofy, but aren't sitting there hearing that it's got the most pinball machines in the country (it doesn't), it's got the biggest arcade hall in the universe (I think you need to visit Galloping Ghost for that), it's got the best industry people (others do more), or whatever. If you come, I'd rather you see everything looking goofy, and then immerse yourself in the fun world of characters and people who all want to celebrate together.
    The world is a fractured place that seems to grow more fractured all the time. The MGC is a place to remember that we're all just people, having fun and enjoying a related hobby that we all love together. The thing that makes it great is definitely NOT Dan Loosen or Gary Heil and our love of whatever, the thing that makes it great is EVERYONE who comes out and passionately shares their love of gaming.

And this is exactly why MGC is shaping up to be the best show in the country.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#412 2 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

And this is exactly why MGC is shaping up to be the best show in the country.

Aw, thanks Rob!

It really means a lot to me that everyone believes in it. The real reason I do the shoe isn't for millions of dollars or something (which, contrary to a few people's belief, is so not true...), it's because the MGC allows me to believe in the awesomeness of humanity, and how when we gather around to support its the best thing we can do.

In the above example, if Super Acan guy (there is no Super Acan guy by the way, although I find that console fascinating...) started his own show, like four people would show up. The MGC gives him the venue to really share with an interested audience. It's really unique, and confirms for me that we can all be different but support each other for those differences.

In related news, the tickets to Toms are going faster than anticipated. You may want to hop on that train sooner than later...

Oh, and if anyone has a big company they work for who wants to get some really unique coverage, I have something that I can't justify the costs of as the show alone that would be amazing to host... It's a five figure outlay though, but I think a big company could get a lot of milage out of it!

#413 2 years ago

I'm going to relax and play some pinball now... What's this in my basement?

1505847461333962225551 (resized).jpg

#414 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Oh man! I should look into posting about this. I LOVE the train, no kidding.

And I didn't drop mentioning it as my father worked for Amtrak. I once took Amtrak from MSP to Chicago to see women's roller derby finals, and it was truly nostalgic since I didn't ride Amtrak in almost 30 years. Tons of leg room, and the conductor will even tell you of upcoming smoke break opportunities at stops.

It's morning from MSP to Milwaukee, and evening the way back, so can walk 2 blocks after MGC closes to the train station. Tempting...

#415 2 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

And I didn't drop mentioning it as my father worked for Amtrak. I once took Amtrak from MSP to Chicago to see women's roller derby finals, and it was truly nostalgic since I didn't ride Amtrak in almost 30 years. Tons of leg room, and the conductor will even tell you of upcoming smoke break opportunities at stops.
    It's morning from MSP to Milwaukee, and evening the way back, so can walk 2 blocks after MGC closes to the train station. Tempting...

would be worth it if you could bring a game on a dolly, lol

#416 2 years ago

i'll pick him up

#417 2 years ago

This is awesome. MGC is great because you can always take a break from pinball and take a stroll through all of the other crazy areas in the Sheraton. it will be weird to have open space and room to take in all of the strange at once.

I wont miss that long annoying gauntlet of a hallway. and the tight right angle, bribe someone to open the door load in area.

-c

#418 2 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

This is awesome. MGC is great because you can always take a break from pinball and take a stroll through all of the other crazy areas in the Sheraton. it will be weird to have open space and room to take in all of the strange at once.

You won't. We're going to be explaining more of the layout in the future, but in general... we're still going to have over 15 different rooms to explore!

#419 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'm going to relax and play some pinball now... What's this in my basement?

Well it's not Deathball 2000. It is an "ad" for Deathball 2000 on WWFRR though.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#420 2 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Well it's not Deathball 2000. It is an "ad" for Deathball 2000 on WWFRR though.

*whew*

#421 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

would be worth it if you could bring a game on a dolly, lol

ineedabracelet (resized).jpg

#422 2 years ago

Tickets purchased and rooms booked. I cannot wait. The venue looks great but there will be a lot more walking. Oh my aching feet. I hope there will be a few strategically placed chairs.

#423 2 years ago

Great work dan!!

I'm excited for the event. Room is already booked. I'll probably be bringing at least 4 games this year as well.

#424 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crashnburn:

Tickets purchased and rooms booked. I cannot wait. The venue looks great but there will be a lot more walking. Oh my aching feet. I hope there will be a few strategically placed chairs.

dan mentioned that they had to pay for chair rental. perhaps i should load up a couple of the coin-operated massage chairs that i have in the warehouse....

#425 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

perhaps i should load up a couple of the coin-operated massage chairs that i have in the warehouse....

As long as they're on free play!

#426 2 years ago

So I gotta move this stuff again?!

IMG_9797 (resized).JPG

#427 2 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

So I gotta move this stuff again?!

The stuff that's safe for morons like me please

Actually, does anyone have some good Pinball Olympics pics I can use on social media?

#428 2 years ago

Dan, I didn't see you mention it, but I presume the city has come around, then, on the crazy "license for each game" requirement issue?

Any give on the tournament prizes?

#429 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Dan, I didn't see you mention it, but I presume the city has come around, then, on the crazy "license for each game" requirement issue?

I thought that was Brookfield, not Milwaukee. Regardless, it is a state issue, it just so happens Brookfield wanted to enforce it.

#430 2 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Well then let's start with , who's bringing what?
    I am bringing Total Nuclear Annihilation .

Geez, nothing like ruining the 'who's brining what' thread with the first post. Now whatever I'm bringing is really going to sound like cheap garbage!

#431 2 years ago

Yes, they actually did about five years ago, we just couldn't make the venue work.

How much money do you have for a "campaign contribution"? Otherwise, that one won't change, and although the odds are the police in Milwaukee aren't going to be weird about it, we're planning on still following it.

#432 2 years ago

I thought that was Brookfield, not Milwaukee. Regardless, it is a state issue, it just so happens Brookfield wanted to enforce it.

It was Brookfield opting to enforce the state law on us, yes, but now knowing the law, we don't think we're going to not follow it, even though basically no one else has to.

Again, if someone has a few hundred thousand sitting around, I think I could change it.

#433 2 years ago

Oh, okay, I figured you had the license thing covered. Would have hated to hear a "D'oh!" from 90 miles south.

And the tournament works well being free, and I sure don't mind the big guns skipping it over the trophy-only reward!

#434 2 years ago

dan mentioned that they had to pay for chair rental.

That's why I said strategically.

#435 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crashnburn:

there is escalators there!

#436 2 years ago

kingpin could probably fill the new space with all the toys he has

#437 2 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

kingpin could probably fill the new space with all the toys he has

You guys are going to enjoy some of the upcoming announcements...

#438 2 years ago

Dan, I ordered a Tom Taylor ticket, but it says I must buy a 2 day event ticket to qualify. I plan I bringing a machine or two this time. How do we qualify ourselves without buying a two day ticket?

#439 2 years ago

Oh, okay, I figured you had the license thing covered. Would have hated to hear a "D'oh!" from 90 miles south.
    And the tournament works well being free, and I sure don't mind the big guns skipping it over the trophy-only reward!

with MGC not paying the $1 to IFPA I am guessing we will have some super fun tournaments and even less concern over big guns coming in. It will be for fun like it should be

#440 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Dan, I ordered a Tom Taylor ticket, but it says I must buy a 2 day event ticket to qualify. I plan I bringing a machine or two this time. How do we qualify ourselves without buying a two day ticket?

You're fine. I check by hand later and ask anyone who doesn't have a two day ticket who I don't recognize about it. Some people have complained, but that's Tom asking for that, as he wants people invested in the show to come, not just randoms. Bringing a game gets you a two day ticket, so you're good.

And for anyone waiting to order Toms, at this rate, that will be full by Friday. No kidding. It will probably slow down some, but... Commit sooner than later.

#441 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

with MGC not paying the $1 to IFPA I am guessing we will have some super fun tournaments and even less concern over big guns coming in. It will be for fun like it should be

I wasn't kidding about dance offs for tie breakers last year. We're seeing if it's possible.

#442 2 years ago

This is gonna be fun! Will bring a game this year.

#443 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

The stuff that's safe for morons like me please
    Actually, does anyone have some good Pinball Olympics pics I can use on social media?

Good pics aren't really my thing.

#444 2 years ago

I got a room at the Marriott SpringHill right across the street from main entrance for $146/n including tax. Parking at hotel is $30/day, but the front desk told me I can park in outside lot for $15/day.

I will correct in another post, but I only tried to book the Hilton through their web site, my error.

#445 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

FYI-Hilton is sold out already. I got a room at the Marriott SpringHill right across the street from main entrance for $146/n including tax. Parking at hotel is $30/day, but the front desk told me I can park in outside lot for $15/day.

Holy Balls Batman! that was fast. wonder how many rooms were set aside.

#446 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

FYI-Hilton is sold out already. I got a room at the Marriott SpringHill right across the street from main entrance for $146/n including tax. Parking at hotel is $30/day, but the front desk told me I can park in outside lot for $15/day.

Please wait to book then, the block must need to be increased. It is much more beneficial for us to have you in our block. Let me see what I can do.

#447 2 years ago

Did you try booking on line off the MGC site? Seems to have rooms available

#448 2 years ago

Holy Balls Batman! that was fast. wonder how many rooms were set aside.

Honestly, something must be screwed up or we sold out more than the Sheraton in a single day. The Hilton has 700+ rooms.

#449 2 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Honestly, something must be screwed up or we sold out more than the Sheraton in a single day. The Hilton has 700+ rooms.

I just booked a room from the MGC site. Got confirmation. Seems to be available.

#450 2 years ago

I'm thinking Monday may have sold out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 16.00
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    $ 5.00
    $ 125.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 1,400.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    There are 1450 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside