(Topic ID: 197699)

Official MGC 2018 thread- New location confirmed-Wisconsin center!

By cavalier88z24

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HOTDOG (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    polka.jpg
    20180414_010636 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180416_200346358 (resized).jpg
    7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg
    30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg
    30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg
    30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg
    30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg
    police_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpg
    signal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpg
    20180415_224214 (resized).jpg
    20180415_222519 (resized).jpg
    128C7400-87D8-4EE7-B2F1-823720D8118D (resized).jpeg
    486AF450-107A-4DB7-AF9E-8EBCE4CB9FE2 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,450 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 29.
    #101 6 years ago

what ever decision you make is fine with me. ill be there with a pin. is it me or is the website down?

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

No PROC booth. Not sure if FAST is doing a booth or not.
    On topic: I can't figure out anything from Dan's clues.

LOL... I know stuff and I can't figure out anything from his clues...

Sheesh...

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

what ever decision you make is fine with me. ill be there with a pin. is it me or is the website down?

It should just say powering up. We do something like this every year to revamp it for the current year.

No kidding, we put that mushroom up and haven't touched it yet because of how much negotiations are still ongoing, even now. I expect to start doing it tomorrow. I'm spending the next few hours running projections and doing budget work.

And checking in here because being a cheeky bastard is helping me keep my sanity with all this.

#104 6 years ago

we need another clue before i go to bed

#105 6 years ago

we need another clue before i go to bed

All right, I'm really having to stretch here, but this picture actually has to do with the show, and is related to one of my hints.

Vaguely.

IMG_20170901_192623872_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170901_192623872_HDR (resized).jpg

(that's my seven year old, Ben. Elias who was my contract negotiating partner today is the hair to his left.)

#106 6 years ago

you sure do have a lot of pictures

#107 6 years ago

Monster truck show at Walworth county fair grounds ?

#108 6 years ago

you sure do have a lot of pictures

Yeah the amount of pics on my phone is...

IMAG1038 (resized).jpgIMAG1038 (resized).jpg

(I hold onto various ones for the MGC and GOAT Store social media pages. Thank you Google Drive.)

#109 6 years ago

State fair grounds for mgc ? I bet that would not be cheap . Train fest is there . Trains are more popular than pinball though.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Monster truck show at Walworth county fair grounds ?

I am slightly surprised this was nailed that quickly.

I was there for something regarding the MGC that I'm working on for this year. Specifically, the Monster Truck Show, not the fairgrounds. I don't want to start that as a location rumor.

Or do I?

And seriously, the link is relatively impossible to figure out, but I'm out of related pics that are safe to share.

Or have I?

IMAG1288 (resized).jpgIMAG1288 (resized).jpg

(I don't know if this is related, but it's a cool pic...)

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

State fair grounds for mgc ? I bet that would not be cheap . Train fest is there . Trains are more popular than pinball though.

I sort of know the guys that run train fest, my dad is good friends with them. I go yearly. I'm always shocked by how busy it is. But man, the kids love it.

But that's not the hint there. I was legit at the show to talk business, but like I said, the link between this and this year's location is stupid vague and a bad one to follow.

IMG_20170901_200347431 (resized).jpgIMG_20170901_200347431 (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago

Yeah train fest is pretty good . I missed last year but I like to take my daughter, she loves train fest . And yeah , the amount of people that attend is great.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Either way, you just keep doing what you're doing. I'm along for the ride, regardless of the result.
    And at the rate I'm going with designing new product I MAY just have a new thing in time for that 2019 show.
    But it's going to be close.
    -Hans

I hope it does nto take that long to get me my LED board for Andromeda

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

State Fair would be a good location. Used to live on 82nd and GF so it's my old haunt.

#115 6 years ago

lots of space in the exhibit hall at state fair

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

State Fair would be a good location. Used to live on 82nd and GF so it's my old haunt.

lots of space in the exhibit hall at state fair

No hotel, though. What about the stumbling drunks?

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I thought there was a hotel on the fair grounds ?

#118 6 years ago

If it wasn't at a hotel, couldn't they/we just hire a van(s) to do a continuous loop between venue and nearby hotels. The late night crowd isn't huge, at least compared to the huge crowds during the day. I think we'd be able to make it work. I"m hoping to bring the whole family again.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

If it wasn't at a hotel, couldn't they/we just hire a van(s) to do a continuous loop between venue and nearby hotels. The late night crowd isn't huge, at least compared to the huge crowds during the day. I think we'd be able to make it work. I"m hoping to bring the whole family again.

We hire a bus for the yearly Brewers trip already.

Man, why does everything I say have to do with the Brewers? I'm kind of done dropping that hint.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I thought there was a hotel on the fair grounds ?

There is a new Hampton Inn there, they have car chargers for electric cars there.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

There is a new Hampton Inn there, they have car chargers for electric cars there.

so the real criteria for the new place has been unvieled

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so the real criteria for the new place has been unvieled

I'm still driving my crappy Sentra. My wife takes our electric car for work.

I need to sell some pinball machines before I get mine, and it wouldn't be delivered until after MGC anyway.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I need to sell some pinball machines

message me what you are selling. You like oddball crap like me

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

message me what you are selling. You like oddball crap like me

I'm not selling anything yet, but trust me, I have about twenty people who I know who have already asked, and I'm more than happy to sell to you all first since I know who I'm dealing with. I'm not a fan of selling to people I don't know at all.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'm not selling anything yet, but trust me, I have about twenty people who I know who have already asked, and I'm more than happy to sell to you all first since I know who I'm dealing with. I'm not a fan of selling to people I don't know at all.

Does anyone really know Hilton?

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

we will put them in the colosseum and let them fight to the death. or watch them go down the giant slide

#127 6 years ago

Knowing it could sell out a weekend in march or april would be a nice boost for a newly opened hotel . The hotel is on the other side of the fair grounds from the exhibit hall , walkable sure no problem , but I think some type of shuttle service would need to be provided . I know in another thread some time ago Dan had said he looked into doing state fair as a location but it just wasn't feasible . I suppose sponsorship from a pro sports team could help secure a location like the state fair . All just guessing ,based on Dan's awesome clues, on my part though . I have no knowledge as to location other than what has been posted here .

#128 6 years ago

i'm with you. I have no idea where it is from the clues. Dan said a "million retailers". I thinking near a mall. Brookfield square, Mayfair mall, Grand Avenue, Bayshore, South Ridge, abandon North Ridge???

#129 6 years ago

i'm with you. I have no idea where it is from the clues. Dan said a "million retailers". I thinking near a mall. Brookfield square, Mayfair mall, Grand Avenue, Bayshore, South Ridge, abandon North Ridge???

Dan's phone makes him look like an idiot when it autocorrects him.

...some part of me loves that this is the most active MGC thread ever. Man, I just need to totally have the stress of an impossible decision every year, and I'll get attention! Maybe we'll reveal the location April 13th and it'll be a surprise? Imagine the posts!

#130 6 years ago

Will "The Micro" be open...? I'm already assuming it's at the fairgrounds now.

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Dan's phone makes him look like an idiot when it autocorrects him.

Yeah, it's the phones fault

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Will "The Micro" be open...? I'm already assuming it's at the fairgrounds now.

What is it?

#133 6 years ago

Does the show rent that big tent attached to the Sheraton or does the show own that?

#134 6 years ago

Rent.

model-3-social (resized).jpgmodel-3-social (resized).jpg

(photo of something significantly cheaper than renting that tent.)

#135 6 years ago

It's glorious...

http://www.kegkiller.com

Basically an open air bar. They open it during other events throughout the year (even winter I'm pretty sure).

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

It's glorious...
    http://www.kegkiller.com
    Basically an open air bar. They open it during other events throughout the year (even winter I'm pretty sure).

I instantly left that site after the page loaded. Horrible UX.

#137 6 years ago

I'm not against change, but hopefully not to much change. Last year I had a total of over 25 games in the freeplay hall, and although I do not know if I will take that many again, some things would be factors in my decision of how many I would be willing to bring. As you see, I didn't say it would affect me going, but surely would affect what I would bring.

Onsite rooms, I'm there all weekend, and with that many games, I have to run down to them for either a sales question, or if by chance a game acts up, I try to take care of it right away. If the room is not on site, I would not even think of bringing 20+ games

Easy in and out of games. Currently, although you might have to wait in line to get to the door, the load in part is fairly simple and easy.

Lastly, I have heard rumors of things in the area and if they are true, then I don't know what I would even do. In some areas, the unions are so bad, that if they are involved, I wouldn't even bring one game to the show, sadly. For example, in Chicago, the creator of corruption, if you use McCormick place, its so awful because of the unions. I had to do a event there once for a client, and it was 1500.00 in fees just for me to put a dartboard into the show. I couldn't back my truck up to the dock, had to have a teamsters, couldn't unload the game, had to have union laborere, and couldn't plug the game in, only a union electrician. and of course, although each job is only minutes, they have minimum charges that you have to charge. Oh, then you have to go through it all again to remove the game

#138 6 years ago

I would assume we have thought about this sort of thing.

I'm often a fan of unions. It's too bad there are very public ones who give all the good ones a bad name.

(Oh, and seriously, let's not start a union debate off of this. If we use a place with the union, we will make sure it works for what our show is. Some unions are awesome and necessary. Others are manipulative and terrible. I've seen both.)

#139 6 years ago

The union teamsters at replayfx always seem to be useful and reasonable. I don't run the show though, so there's likely info I don't have.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

We would have the show on ice?
    Gary and I were actually hired to run a tournament there that ended with people playing Guitar Hero on the big screen a number of years ago. It was bad ass, although the group that hired us totally stiffed us on pay.
    I really like that arena. It has a lot more character than the Bradley Center, which is a big, bland box.
    At one point, the Bradley Center also tried to get us to host the show there. Not this year though.

Being honest, unless that space has changed, it's like four run down mid sized buildings a field apart in the middle of no where. I went there for an arcade auction a few years ago and got lost finding it.

I was at that arcade auction too. Was that the one with all the ball bowler pieces in one of the rooms?

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I hope it does nto take that long to get me my LED board for Andromeda

Nah, those'll be ready sooner. Production pieces, well, who knows. Not like there's a HUGE market for gameplan lamp driver boards.
    Ok, enough threadjacking here.

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Nah, those'll be ready sooner. Production pieces, well, who knows. Not like there's a HUGE market for gameplan lamp driver boards.
    Ok, enough threadjacking here.

No, keep it up! Usually I make a post about mgc and then there is a bunch of silence. It nice having a thread on fire!

I'm going to announce, and if the thread isn't all thread jacked it'll just die

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

... it'll just die

gooniesneversaydie (resized).jpggooniesneversaydie (resized).jpg

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

No, keep it up! Usually I make a post about mgc and then there is a bunch of silence. It nice having a thread on fire!
    I'm going to announce, and if the thread isn't all thread jacked it'll just die

I dunno, a big threadjack about potential LED compatible Gameplan LDU boards could be a thread-killer here. Have you ever looked at how many Gameplan threads there are on pinside? I've seen more "Krull Pinball For Sale" postings.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

I dunno, a big threadjack about potential LED compatible Gameplan LDU boards could be a thread-killer here. Have you ever looked at how many Gameplan threads there are on pinside? I've seen more "Krull Pinball For Sale" postings.

That's true. Who owns any of those games?

15054386377641182735935 (resized).jpg15054386377641182735935 (resized).jpg

#146 6 years ago

Oh, I see how it is now.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

I instantly left that site after the page loaded. Horrible UX.

For some reason there's not much out there for pictures.. It's really just a pavilion with TVs, several bars, and about 50 WI beers on tap (so it's awesome).

micro1 (resized).jpgmicro1 (resized).jpg

The-Micro-Crowd (resized).jpgThe-Micro-Crowd (resized).jpg

micro4 (resized).jpgmicro4 (resized).jpg

#148 6 years ago

go ahead jack this thread up. as long as the location revealed.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Oh, I see how it is now.

I should have taken a picture of my other, other Sharpshooter at storage easier tonight. Sorry.

On topic: Where is that Micro place?

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Don't worry, I talked to this guy and he said he'd get you a table... (not a stock photo...)

is that deadpool?

There are 1,450 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-moving-locations/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.