(Topic ID: 197699)

Official MGC 2018 thread- New location confirmed-Wisconsin center!

By cavalier88z24

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HOTDOG (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    polka.jpg
    20180414_010636 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180416_200346358 (resized).jpg
    7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg
    30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg
    30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg
    30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg
    30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg
    police_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpg
    signal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpg
    20180415_224214 (resized).jpg
    20180415_222519 (resized).jpg
    128C7400-87D8-4EE7-B2F1-823720D8118D (resized).jpeg
    486AF450-107A-4DB7-AF9E-8EBCE4CB9FE2 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,450 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 29.
    #1401 5 years ago

polka.jpgpolka.jpg

#1402 5 years ago

I pushed that button many times this weekend! Awesome. It was the one redeeming factor for the long walk back to the hotel!

#1403 5 years ago

too funny

#1404 5 years ago

My biggest issue with the show was the $4.50 bottles of water. That kind of shit should be illegal. (I know that's a venue issue, not a show issue.)

#1405 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

My biggest issue with the show was the $4.50 bottles of water. That kind of shit should be illegal. (I know that's a venue issue, not a show issue.)

combined with the purposefully hot tap from the bubblers, someone should get kicked in the junk...

#1406 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Was the water in the vending machines $4.50 as well? I drank the coconut water from these all weekend which were $4 which didn't seem outrageous. In convenience stores they're around $3.

#1407 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

combined with the purposefully hot tap from the bubblers, someone should get kicked in the junk...

A true cheesehead, calling a water fountain a bubbler!

#1408 5 years ago

I wonder what the Dr Pepper Snapple Group paid to have exclusive rights in the Wisconsin Center. Seems like Coke or Pepsi win most of those bids. I was unfortunate enough to buy as much of RC Cola and Diet Rite as I could carry, just moments before all of the Coke and Diet Coke was pushed out at the Saturday Party. I didn't want to stand in a 20 minute bar line every time I wanted a drink.

PS: Damn, I just noticed they own Orangina. That's one of my favorite sodas. It's hard to find in the states though.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#1409 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

I just want to know who ate my hot dogs!?!?

Honestly, I want to know who got them too, in large part because the person who dropped them off later told me he did, before I learned that you didn't get them. So at some point, someone was randomly handed two hot dogs that were said to be from me.

Quoted from Tilt:

Another suggestion, get a polka button everywhere. I dont know why, but everytime people used the escalator to the Hilton skywalk, i didn't see one person not smile and push the polka button

Yes, we definitely need more Polka buttons.

#1410 5 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Go to the united center in Chicago, I kid you not they charge $6 for a 16oz bottle of water (small beers are $10).

#1411 5 years ago

I did not take the hot dog!

HOTDOG (resized).jpgHOTDOG (resized).jpg

#1412 5 years ago

Non pinhead perspective from the FB reviews for MGC. There was a decent amount of "aw shucks, why doesn't the pinball get more room?" while we were setting up the hall Thursday. In our little tunnel visioned community it's easy to forget that the roots of MGC don't have anything to do with pinball and there's a bunch of people that attend with no interest in pinball at all.

Random bits:

"I feel it would be better if pinball had its own show. I like pinball and it’s an important part of gaming history, but I really believe it can stand better on its own. You’ll likely attract more corporate vendors by making that shows only focus pinball. "

"We had a great time. More video games and fewer pinball games would be cool (holy Iron Maiden). The folks who were running the retro gaming area near the front of the main show area (the guys who brought the machines) were awesome."

And then there's this guy:

"I was a little disappointed with the pinball selection but hopefully it will be better next year."

#1413 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

"I was a little disappointed with the pinball selection but hopefully it will be better next year."

Wow, just wow.

#1414 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Non pinhead perspective from the FB reviews for MGC. There was a decent amount of "aw shucks, why doesn't the pinball get more room?" while we were setting up the hall Thursday. In our little tunnel visioned community it's easy to forget that the roots of MGC don't have anything to do with pinball and there's a bunch of people that attend with no interest in pinball at all.
    Random bits:
    "I feel it would be better if pinball had its own show. I like pinball and it’s an important part of gaming history, but I really believe it can stand better on its own. You’ll likely attract more corporate vendors by making that shows only focus pinball. "
    "We had a great time. More video games and fewer pinball games would be cool (holy Iron Maiden). The folks who were running the retro gaming area near the front of the main show area (the guys who brought the machines) were awesome."

Little Disappointed with the pinball selection. I guess you can’t make everyone happy.

There was well over 250 and brand new ones too.

Thanks to Stern Pinball, Spooky Pinball, Jersey Jack Pinball, American Pinball, Chicago Gaming Co, ColorDMD, Marco Specialities, KingPin Games, Pincades, Garcade, Geeks Mania and the many many many others that brought games to the show for everyone to play and braved the crappy weather.

#1415 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Random bits:

Was there a cap put on the amount of space devoted to video games? If there is extra space next year perhaps they can commit to bringing more. When it comes down to it pinball machines are just big. One machine takes quite a bit of floor space. Not sure if the retro game people could do this, but I think it would be neat to have a mini living room setup in the center of their area. I think it would look cool to have a rug, couch, easy chair, coffee table, lamp, and TV. Offer a game library where a group of guys can checkout games to play in that area. So much is online now, I think it would be a reminder of how social gaming used to happen face to face. Then again, that would also take more space too.

#1416 5 years ago

I wouldn't worry about any of that.

And if I wouldn't worry about any of that, I don't think any of you need to.

The video game areas grew by a factor of 2.5 this year, as did basically everything. If that isn't good enough and they would like more, they can offer to bring it and you all know that I'll find it space somehow. For that matter, if 250 more pinball machines showed up next year, I'd find them all space too.

#1417 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I wouldn't worry about any of that.
    And if I wouldn't worry about any of that, I don't think any of you need to.
    The video game areas grew by a factor of 2.5 this year, as did basically everything. If that isn't good enough and they would like more, they can offer to bring it and you all know that I'll find it space somehow. For that matter, if 250 more pinball machines showed up next year, I'd find them all space too.

Dan, I did hear a rumor that a person with 2 games was turned away? Any truth to that? Person telling me it might have been an off the cuff comment that person took literally and just left.

#1418 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

For that matter, if 250 more pinball machines showed up next year, I'd find them all space too.

quoted for posterity

#1419 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Dan, I did hear a rumor that a person with 2 games was turned away? Any truth to that? Person telling me it might have been an off the cuff comment that person took literally and just left.

I do not know of anyone turned away. We did have one person bring two in and then take them back out and leave right away. It was a sale gone bad after driving them a long distance and he was quite upset, but not at the show.

#1420 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I do not know of anyone turned away. We did have one person bring two in and then take them back out and leave right away. It was a sale gone bad after driving them a long distance and he was quite upset, but not at the show.

That is unfortunate. I believe he was set up next to me and I attempted to make an offer on one of the games but he seemed very frustrated with the whole situation by then. I got the impression something had gone awry with the sale, so I hoped it would change the day for him if he still sold one of them.

#1421 5 years ago

I believe there were more playable pins this year than all of any one Pinball Expo show play area, a show devoted to pinball. That wedge-shaped NES clone that I saw with 4 ports + HDMI + Famicom port + built-in Game Genie was beautiful.

Kind of weird the convention center had 1 little podium selling beer, where thousands more $ in beer could have been sold. Didn't the hotel last year run out of beer? Weird that I swore I saw a brewery, a place devoted to making beer, not more than 2 blocks away.

#1422 5 years ago

I wanted a Sprite during the after party with my drink pass and was told beer only. 3.oo for a can of pop.

#1423 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wow! I thought the pinball lineup was amazing! Imagine how disappointed that person will be if they go to Expo ...

#1424 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

If you are talking about a guy who left on Friday with 2 games the answer is NO. He had brought the games to sell and the buyer backed out after he brought them in. We asked if he would stay but I think he was pretty sour that the buyer backed out out on him.

#1425 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

If you are talking about a guy who left on Friday with 2 games the answer is NO. He had brought the games to sell and the buyer backed out after he brought them in. We asked if he would stay but I think he was pretty sour that the buyer backed out out on him.

assuming it is the same guy, he said he drove all the way from south dakota?

#1426 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Not him.

#1427 5 years ago

Hmm...then I have no idea why someone would have been turned away. It was close, but we did not run out of space...and it's not really our style to turn away even if we had. Could it have been a MAME machine or something non-working/dangerous? Or it could have just been something I didn't hear about, but it would have had to be a darn good reason.

#1428 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

What was he trying to sell? He probably could have found a buyer if he had stayed the day....

#1429 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Honestly, I want to know who got them too, in large part because the person who dropped them off later told me he did, before I learned that you didn't get them. So at some point, someone was randomly handed two hot dogs that were said to be from me.

I know it wasn't "cool", but it is pretty funny...

#1430 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I wanted a Sprite during the after party with my drink pass and was told beer only. 3.oo for a can of pop.

Something wrong there... pretty sure soda (yes, that's what we call it here in these parts buddy ) was supposed to be free.

#1431 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

If it wasn't the "sale gone bad guy" then I'd love more details if you have them. PM me if necessary.

#1432 5 years ago
    Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

What was he trying to sell? He probably could have found a buyer if he had stayed the day....

One game was an evil K. i offered to buy but he did not want to deal with anything at that point it appeared.

#1433 5 years ago

I loved the pinball selection! Every year I've attended, there's a selection of titles I've wanted to try but never see on location. This year, I was excited to put some time in on The Shadow, Flintstones, Congo, Gilligan's Island, Laser War, Iron Maiden (of course!), and found Nascar surprisingly fun. Wish I had the funds to buy it or Laser War.

#1434 5 years ago

Man I played alot of games this weekend. when are the dates next year?

#1435 5 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Probably won't be any official announcement until contracts are hammered out. I'd guess there are some points to work on with the facility now that the show has had the experience, so it might be a while before they lock things down.

#1436 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The one on the 2nd floor was fine.

Quoted from MikeS:

Was the water in the vending machines $4.50 as well? I drank the coconut water from these all weekend which were $4 which didn't seem outrageous. In convenience stores they're around $3.

Yeah, same price everywhere.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Go to the united center in Chicago, I kid you not they charge $6 for a 16oz bottle of water (small beers are $10).

Yeah, them too. AND they won't let you bring in your own. At least at the show you can do that.

#1437 5 years ago

Just send me the invoice for my booth. Same location as this year, plus electricity.

#1438 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I know it wasn't "cool", but it is pretty funny...

Agreed. It did give me a little something to laugh about and a good story to tell.

#1439 5 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Just send me the invoice for my booth. Same location as this year, plus electricity.

?

#1440 5 years ago

Sorry. Didn’t mean to quote on that one. Just sayin I’m looking forward to next year.

Still exhausted from this year

#1441 5 years ago

I’ve seen lots of comments about security so I’ll throw in my two cents. Besides the power tripping asshole (Greg?), overall I thought the rest of the security team did a great job.
    Thousands of people rushing in on Saturday morning and security was clear about where people with wristbands should go, where people who needed tickets should go, where people with lanyards could go etc.
    The only complaint I heard multiple times was consistency. Sometimes people were allowed in with a beer, or soda, and other times they were told they could not be in the arcade hall with them. A pretty small complaint considering it was our first year there. And I told everybody the same thing, get a closable container for your drinks.
    I know the volunteers get a lot of thanks, but Chris Matte, Tom Graf, and Eric Strangeway REALLY killed it this year! Thanks guys!

#1442 5 years ago

My comments from the show:

My 3 boys and I had a great time! This was the second time we have been to MGC and this venue was better than the Sheraton. The show seemed to run smoothly from our point of view and we had no negative issues. I spent more time on the second level then I planned, but the boys are more into the video stuff then pinball, oh well... I enjoyed the awesome selection of pinball machines to play. A big thank you to all who brought games to play, this is what makes the show. Huge kudos to all the locals that volunteer their time to this event. I had hoped to bring something but the distance involved and with the oldest in college in Fargo, we had to leave Sunday morning to start the trek home. If the oldest doesn’t come next year, I’d love to bring a game or two, just for a chance to check out the after party!
    I saw quite a few pins and vids for sale, but nothing that tripped my buying trigger. That said, I did spend plenty on buying mods and trinkets from other pinsiders and dropped some coin at borygards booth, so that part was a win!
    Looking forward to MGC 2019!

#1443 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Another suggestion, get a polka button everywhere. I dont know why, but everytime people used the escalator to the Hilton skywalk, i didn't see one person not smile and push the polka button

That's funny, the person working security gave me the stinkeye every time I pressed it.

Didn't stop me, of course.

#1444 5 years ago

I did see the star wars with the line out. I noticed it because of the bright L.E.D. I think it had 2 lines out it I'm not mistaken

Must have been issue with power or something else, I finally was able to unpack my Star Wars pinball last night and set it back up and the Color DMD display looks great, no issues with the display. I would assume it was too much power draw at the show on one circuit.

2 months later
    #1445 5 years ago

Dates for next year yet?

1 week later
    #1446 5 years ago

see you all next year! next years dates April 12, 13, and 14th 2019

#1447 5 years ago

Does anyone remember the vendor they had that brought empty, unpainted arcade cabinets? IIRC they were in Wisconsin. Does anyone have their contact info?(website, etc)

#1448 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Does anyone remember the vendor they had that brought empty, unpainted arcade cabinets? IIRC they were in Wisconsin. Does anyone have their contact info?(website, etc)

I believe it is prince arcades in bolingbrook IL . He spams the shit out of Chicago Craigstlist with his crap cabinets. I hope you looked that those cabinets are not real wood.

#1449 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I believe it is prince arcades in bolingbrook IL . He spams the shit out of Chicago Craigstlist with his crap cabinets. I hope you looked that those cabinets are not real wood.

Well, darn. I thought it was WI, and the cabs looked solid. I'm looking to build a MAME cabinet, and getting a just-right empty cabinet seems harder than it should be. I wish IKEA had a solution. Not a bartop, not a cocktail, but upright.

#1450 5 years ago

see you all next year! next years dates April 12, 13, and 14th 2019

Same place as this year then?

There are 1,450 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-moving-locations/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.