(Topic ID: 197699)

Official MGC 2018 thread- New location confirmed-Wisconsin center!

By cavalier88z24

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HOTDOG (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    polka.jpg
    20180414_010636 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180416_200346358 (resized).jpg
    7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg
    30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg
    30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg
    30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg
    30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg
    police_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpg
    signal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpg
    20180415_224214 (resized).jpg
    20180415_222519 (resized).jpg
    128C7400-87D8-4EE7-B2F1-823720D8118D (resized).jpeg
    486AF450-107A-4DB7-AF9E-8EBCE4CB9FE2 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,450 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.
    #1201 5 years ago

Ghost in the shell clocked 356 plays over the weekend. I backed up the code right before I packed it into the car Thursday. So I had a previous number. To compare against.

#1202 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

Ghost in the shell clocked 356 plays over the weekend. I backed up the code right before I packed it into the car Thursday. So I had a previous number. To compare against.

Thanks for bringing it, I really like the left ramp you've developed!!

#1203 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Fireball games can often last 30 sec

I wish.

#1204 5 years ago

The volunteers for the pinball area really deserve another round of applause. Tully, Keith, Tom, Chris, Eric, and a host of others who I'm forgetting right now, who bust their behinds moving, coordinating, and helping people set up. Mike Williams also put long hours on the dock from what I understand. Most of these guys also have long drives to get back to their homes.

Thanks again.

#1205 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The volunteers for the pinball area really deserve another round of applause. Tully, Keith, Tom, Chris, Eric, and a host of others who I'm forgetting right now, who bust their behinds moving and helping everyone set up. Mike Williams also put long hours on the dock from what I understand. Most of these guys also have long drives to get back to their homes.
    Thanks again.

I second what Mark said. Those guys busted their butt all weekend and helped make the show awesome! thank you!

#1206 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I second what Mark said. Those guys busted their butt all weekend and helped make the show awesome! thank you!

it is insane what these guys all do to make the show happen and much of it happens without issue and nobody even knows all the stuff they deal with!

If Dan makes even a small profit then it should go to that crew!!!

#1207 5 years ago

Awesome show again. Had a great time. Stand out surprise of the show for me was easily Death Ball. That game was awesome.

#1208 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The volunteers for the pinball area really deserve another round of applause. Tully, Keith, Tom, Chris, Eric, and a host of others who I'm forgetting right now, who bust their behinds moving, coordinating, and helping people set up. Mike Williams also put long hours on the dock from what I understand. Most of these guys also have long drives to get back to their homes.
    Thanks again.

#1209 5 years ago

and right back at YOU sir!!!

#1210 5 years ago

Great show, hats off to dan and crew for all of their hard work and dedication.

I was pleasantly surprised to find 300 was awarded best in show EM.

Thanks Rob for the Taro Legacy Award. Its truly an honor.

signal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpgsignal-2018-04-16-164822 (resized).jpg

#1211 5 years ago

I have no idea what I did the whole time. I think I was busy. I’m not really sure. I tried to help out the core game hall crew, but they’ve all been doing it so long that they run like a machine and I was just trying to keep up. I know I went and found the golf tournament sign for Neo at some point.

Anyway, had a great time. Mostly love the new space. I think next year will be even better building on what was learned this year.

Kudos and thanks to all the people who put in effort to make the show what it is.

#1212 5 years ago

Just rolled into the driveway. Thank you, work, for the 3 hour detour and 3 hour meeting today. Sure made the trip home a lot more than it needed to be.

#1213 5 years ago

I can't thank you all enough. Had a mf BLAST! Dock crew and security were great. Can't imagine all the behind-the-scenes work something of this magnitude entails.
    Love my WI dudes....partyin with Trilogy was the highlight of my weekend.
    You guys are AWESOME.
    THANK YOU!

#1214 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

You guys are AWESOME.
    THANK YOU!

I agree. What an amazing show !

LTG : )

#1215 5 years ago

Amazing show again, highlights for me was the very nice Police Force, and on the arcade side of things the Williams Splat. Getting to try for the first time Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Houdini, and Pirates was also a highlight, they all were a lot of fun. I loved the extra space, especially on the Community Rooms floor, I thought having extra space for those groups added a lot, especially the ones that took advantage of it and added some atmosphere to their rooms.

Things I missed from the Sheraton was the Mexican cola guy, probably a contract thing but would be awesome having him back, and the arcade hall not having the lights a little darker. Congratulations on the well run show and thank you

#1216 5 years ago
    Quoted from LapsedGamer:

...and the arcade hall not having the lights a little darker.

If possible that would be cool. In my opinion the Saturday party lighting was perfect.

#1217 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

If possible that would be cool. In my opinion the Saturday party lighting was perfect.

It was perfect for the saturday afterparty,but PLease not for normal day time show.

I view it as a nice ambiance difference but dark all day would be crummy imo. I like to see games and people when playing. Old arcade dimly lit is fun for the party and kind of a perk.

Biggest thing I think really needs addressed is better security for the afterparty. Everyone and their brother seemed to be at the after party and lots of guys that did not bring games were still at the party. Next year with even more space to fill, we will need more games. i honestly saw very little incentive to bring games when everyone else is already getting in for the one main perk w/o even putting forth the effort.

#1218 5 years ago
    Quoted from LapsedGamer:

highlights for me was the very nice Police Force

that thing was clean as hell and brightly lit!

police_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpgpolice_force_MGC_2018 (resized).jpg

#1219 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Next year with even more space to fill, we will need more games.

Agreed. I need to get a enclosed trailer with at least 6’ height so I can bring more arcades. I had to lay mine down just to bring it. Of course if it wasn’t in the middle of a dang blizzard coulda brought an open trailer, with all my arcades. Which I coulda sold to buy more pins.

#1220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It was perfect for the saturday afterparty,but PLease not for normal day time show.
    Everyone and their brother seemed to be at the after party and lots of guys that did not bring games were still at the party. Next year with even more space to fill, we will need more games.

Like who? You had to have a wrist band so chances are they contributed in some way or knew someone who brought many games and had a couple bands to spare. Or was there no security actually checking wrist bands?

#1221 5 years ago

People's Choice
    Best Light Gun Games (Big Buck Hunter World Deluxe)

MGC Awards
    Best Vendor
    Unique and Rare (Udderly Tickets) (cow) 2nd year in a row for this award on two different titles
    Outstanding Orginal (Green Dragon Kiddie Ride)

30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg30547208_10155545990924786_1268110640_o (resized).jpg
    30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg30768701_10155545989909786_1674075562_o (resized).jpg
    30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg30546453_10155545990609786_586348919_o (resized).jpg
    30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg30768081_10155545989534786_1630752093_o (resized).jpg

#1222 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

. Next year with even more space to fill, we will need more games. i honestly saw very little incentive to bring games when everyone else is already getting in for the one main perk w/o even putting forth the effort.

Fully agree with this part. I brought a total of 21 games into the hall. I know they offer show cash, and i think that is great, but driving 300 miles with a trailer load of games, the show cash didn't cover my gas. I made a comment that I could easily throw one game in the mini van, get all the same perks (entrance fee and after party) and just have fun. And surprisingly was told, fine, dont bring a trailer load. I honestly felt upset about it, and thought that was a shitty thing to say to someone that brought a 25 foot trailer packed full. Sure made the work ive done of bringing rare and unique games feel unwanted. Ive always supported the show and want to go above and beyond, hell so many people told me that i was nuts for bringing a Goin Nuts to a show and letting it get abused. So filling up more space might be harder if its not appreciated of those that bring so much. Ive always felt like family at MGC, so this really caught me off guard.

I know that there was a lot of grief about the show games and their removal time. And it pissed off a lot of people, buyers and those running the hall. But cant let that get in the way. I was not a happy person about it either, but i just had to start joking about it to make it be better. I understand that if it was said and told that the games cant be removed till 5pm on sunday, then that is what needs to happen. However, I bought my game from Marco because of a post they made on facebook, and there was no mention of that. One of the guys said that Dan told me this personally, and i went through my messages, and no, i wasn't told that. I dealt with it, and learned from it. But if something like this is done again, I think that they should do some kind of contract with the purchaser to protect both sides. Because at the show they said they were going to charge 500 bucks for anyone that pulled the game early, and i can say this, i have no paperwork from marco saying that i have to pay more if i dont stay till 5.

#1223 5 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

Like who? You had to have a wrist band so chances are they contributed in some way or knew someone who brought many games and had a couple bands to spare. Or was there no security actually checking wrist bands?

For sure there was a gamer guy behind me in the pizza line that just had a blue wrist band, but I didn't say anything.

#1224 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Agreed. I need to get a enclosed trailer with at least 6’ height so I can bring more arcades. I had to lay mine down just to bring it. Of course if it wasn’t in the middle of a dang blizzard coulda brought an open trailer, with all my arcades. Which I coulda sold to buy more pins.

That could easily happen, some people did have extras to give away. I could have gotten 21 tickets for the after party. I had them give me about a dozen. I used 4 of them. As i had 3 people show up that helped me set up my pins. Which reminds me, PinZig and his wife were awesome in helping me set up and wipedown all the pins i brought, really appreciated the help, and rewarded them with after party tickets.

#1225 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Fully agree with this part. I brought a total of 21 games into the hall. I know they offer show cash, and i think that is great, but driving 300 miles with a trailer load of games, the show cash didn't cover my gas. I made a comment that I could easily throw one game in the mini van, get all the same perks (entrance fee and after party) and just have fun. And surprisingly was told, fine, dont bring a trailer load. I honestly felt upset about it, and thought that was a shitty thing to say to someone that brought a 25 foot trailer packed full. Sure made the work ive done of bringing rare and unique games feel unwanted. Ive always supported the show and want to go above and beyond, hell so many people told me that i was nuts for bringing a Goin Nuts to a show and letting it get abused. So filling up more space might be harder if its not appreciated of those that bring so much. Ive always felt like family at MGC, so this really caught me off guard.

Wow, someone involved with running the show said this to you? As someone who does only bring one game, let me say I appreciate you bringing as many games as you do every year.

#1226 5 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Wow, someone involved with running the show said this to you? As someone who does only bring one game, let me say I appreciate you bringing as many games as you do every year.

Yes, I’ll second that thank you. It’s guys like you that help mgc grow. When I arrived with the uhaul trailer one guy thanked me for the expense of bringing a game, and some other guy-prob the one u dealt with said “ aww you can rent those for next to nothing”. Well thanks buddy. So ya cost of the trailer and extra parking charges was almost $200 to have that guy put me down. I didn’t say nothing, I figured the cost was just my part of helping the show.

#1227 5 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

Security was not checking wristbands for the afterparty. The doors opened and a mob of people flooded in. If you looked like you should be there or had any sort of lanyard you got in. Everyone I know noticed this.

#1228 5 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

Security was not checking wristbands for the afterparty. The doors opened and a mob of people flooded in. If you looked like you should be there or had any sort of lanyard you got in. Everyone I know noticed this.

Wow well if that is the case then that is bad. I would be upset too. But if there was 1 person for every game there then I would think that's just fine. But yeah, you have to have security checking wrist bands. I don't think anyone would be upset if you (with a legitimate band) pointed out to security someone without a required wrist band. That's only fair.

#1229 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Biggest thing I think really needs addressed is better security for the afterparty. Everyone and their brother seemed to be at the after party and lots of guys that did not bring games were still at the party. Next year with even more space to fill, we will need more games. i honestly saw very little incentive to bring games when everyone else is already getting in for the one main perk w/o even putting forth the effort.

Well, I was keeping an eye out for wristbands and I only saw one person without one wandering around and told him he had to go which he did. Remember that it was an arcade hall and console museum combined after-party. I personally don't know all the console guys.

#1230 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Yes, I’ll second that thank you. It’s guys like you that help mgc grow. When I arrived with the uhaul trailer one guy thanked me for the expense of bringing a game, and some other guy-prob the one u dealt with said “ aww you can rent those for next to nothing”. Well thanks buddy. So ya cost of the trailer and extra parking charges was almost $200 to have that guy put me down. I didn’t say nothing, I figured the cost was just my part of helping the show.

Kinda funny. Because i was the guy that said that i appreciated you spending the money to rent a trailer to bring a game. If im thinking right, you had just one game because that's all that would fit. And yep, someone right next to me said. "they are only 19.99 to rent for a day" and i said something back to them, that 19 a day, times multiple days, is an expense, because of you are only bring one game, you dont get show cash because you use that ticket for your entry.

I appreciate those that take any effort to get games there. What i dont like is the people that live in the cities of shows, like Milwaukee or Chicago for expo, that are to lazy to bring a game, but sure will go play others games. And they are usually the ones that point out the flaws in a game that someone brings

Also, Hiltons Fireball looked awesome, he did a great job.

#1231 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Kinda funny. Because i was the guy that said that i appreciated you spending the money to rent a trailer to bring a game. If im thinking right, you had just one game because that's all that would fit. And yep, someone right next to me said. "they are only 19.99 to rent for a day" and i said something back to them, that 19 a day, times multiple days, is an expense, because of you are only bring one game, you dont get show cash because you use that ticket for your entry.
    I appreciate those that take any effort to get games there. What i dont like is the people that live in the cities of shows, like Milwaukee or Chicago for expo, that are to lazy to bring a game, but sure will go play others games. And they are usually the ones that point out the flaws in a game that someone brings
    Also, Hiltons Fireball looked awesome, he did a great job.

Small world, wow! And thank you sir. I chose to remember your comment over the other guys and had a great time at the show. I wish I had known you had brought so many games, I woulda shook your hand sir!

#1232 5 years ago
    Quoted from JMcDonald:

Wow well if that is the case then that is bad. I would be upset too. But if there was 1 person for every game there then I would think that's just fine. But yeah, you have to have security checking wrist bands. I don't think anyone would be upset if you (with a legitimate band) pointed out to security someone without a required wrist band. That's only fair.

Growing pains. They security guy looked blindsided but I don't know what he expected when he opened 4 doors in front of a crowd. I got to play all I wanted no waiting so all went well in that regard.

#1233 5 years ago

The wife and I loved the new location this year after 2 years away from the show. So glad things got moved to the new location.

Thanks to all the guys in the game hall for making setup and unloading a breeze.

Thanks to Dan for getting the new much larger location.

Also thanks to everyone who bought the new Sterns so we had a bunch to play at the show. Very awesome amount to play.

Load out was the only low point of the weekend, but I knew that was going to be an issue months ago. I wish we lived closer, I would volunteer to stay longer and help move the loading process along. We got back home at 2am after getting all loaded at 8:30 and terrible roads. So many people found the ditch, heck, we just about found the ditch a couple times. We never got over 65mph the whole trip back to Rochester.

Sorry to see and hear about all the guys who broke glass pieces on their machines. I know of at least 3 during the weekend.

Personal low point was during the end of day Sunday when STTNG started going crazy with an opto problem I think and then reseting. My machines had been going well all weekend until then. Well there was the goalie that lost his head on world cup. But that didn't make the game unplayable, at least his torso was still there.

Speaking of STTNG, I am pretty sure that game takes the prize for most copies of an old title in attendance at the show. We had at least 5 I think in the whole building.

We should be back next year.

#1234 5 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

Growing pains. They security guy looked blindsided but I don't know what he expected when he opened 4 doors in front of a crowd. I got to play all I wanted no waiting so all went well in that regard.

FUCKIN SLAYER

#1235 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Well, I was keeping an eye out for wristbands and I only saw one person without one wandering around and told him he had to go which he did. Remember that it was an arcade hall and console museum combined after-party. I personally don't know all the console guys.

Bunches without wristbands combined with lanyards handed out like candy from the vendor hall were all in the afterparty, all drinking and eating the food. Security only looked for a lanyard or if you acted like you belonged.

I won't name specific people publicly (they know whom they are) but the big thing I saw were multiple locals that own multiple games and they did not bring a single game but were in the afterparty. I stopped counting at 10 people.

Troy and Kingpin were not giving out extras so those people were getting them from somewhere.

All i am saying is that this year brought many more constraints, costs, and work for all those that bring games and the perk of the afterparty is pretty moot when you see bunches of people without wrist bands and that you know did not bring games in there. If the show wants to incentivize game bringing then this needs to get locked down somehow and ensure the perk remains a perk.

#1236 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Great show, hats off to dan and crew for all of their hard work and dedication.

Slim64 You were right next to me and helped me out by lending me a wire cutter for my Minstrel Man - Nice to meet you and thanks for being a "good neighbor" at the show.

@ltg, I finally got to meet you. You were babysitting the dialed in for waldo34 when I stopped to chat with you. A pleasure to meet you!

Tilt and KingPinGames and everyone else who brought multiple games for us to enjoy - THANK YOU! While I know there are certain people who will say stupid stuff, know that the DO NOT represent the majority. All of us appreciate the effort it takes to bring multiple games to a show for everyone else to enjoy.

@goatdan, @jazman, tullster and everyone else that was a part of the show crew -THANK YOU! It's an amazing amount of work to put on a show and while there are definitely things that can be improved, I think it went very well for being in a new venue. I do think security could be a bit better as I don't recall having anyone check for my wristband when I arrived on Saturday. I sent right up the escalator and right into the gaming hall. It did seem like the security people were working really long shifts though.

All in all, I'd say it was a great show.

Dave

#1237 5 years ago
    Quoted from HamsterHerder:

Sorry to see and hear about all the guys who broke glass pieces on their machines. I know of at least 3 during the weekend

I would be one of the unfortunate. Was told at the time that I was the first, and that they were really surprised that there weren't more with the concrete floors. Sorry to hear there were more later. I was careful during setup to set my glass on top of another machine, but during takedown, there was too many people around so I thought it would be safe to lean it against the machine next to me. A child ran up to the machine and bumped it trying to hit the start button.
    Concrete + glass + vibration = KaBoom!

#1238 5 years ago

I think during the after party there was one security guy tasked with protecting the merch booth and watching the door, which weren’t eactly next to each other

#1239 5 years ago

The first was actually a Stern employee on Friday.

Sorry about your glass. But yeah, I'm surprised there weren't more.

Quoted from Mikala:

I would be one of the unfortunate. Was told at the time that I was the first, and that they were really surprised that there weren't more with the concrete floors. Sorry to hear there were more later. I was careful during setup to set my glass on top of another machine, but during takedown, there was too many people around so I thought it would be safe to lean it against the machine next to me. A child ran up to the machine and bumped it trying to hit the start button.
    Concrete + glass + vibration = KaBoom!

#1240 5 years ago

I love the show. IT'S my local show. It's where my heart is. never mind the after party, show awards, weekend pass or perks. when I loaded my game up the guy in the blue shirt said "thanks for bringing your game in a snow storm". And for me that was worth it. just a simple thank you. that's all I need. I thanked multiple people that bought those new in box IMDN games. that is a big step for the show. I think I played 1 game on everyone of those IMDN. thank you for those that purchased.

the afterparty seem to triple in size??? I will be buying my own dinner for now on. still played til 2. that policeforce was killer. I enjoyed all the extra room to move around show. I spent time in the vendor hall and down stairs in the arcade rooms. so much to see.

@videogameseller thank you for bringing games. I dont know how you do it. every time I walked past you I say hi or shake your hand. I would like to say again thank you. your a big supporter of the show.

So when are the dates next year? I heard rumor there going to change

#1241 5 years ago

Learning curve for sure but I know some some super smart people are already coming up with solutions to the issues that came with the awesome new location .

#1242 5 years ago

I think this was a phenomenal year and Saturday was the best MGC ever! I only have one suggestion for improvement:

Don’t let anyone named Greg anywhere near the dock

- Mike

#1243 5 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

the guy in the blue shirt said "thanks for bringing your game in a snow storm".

Probably Aaron. Goonie Every time I saw him this weekend he had a huge smile on his face. It made me happy just seeing him. Such a phenomenal dude who does so much for the show.

#1244 5 years ago
    Quoted from mjwilliams:

...I only have one suggestion for improvement:
    Don’t let anyone named Greg anywhere near the dock

- Mike

Quoted from PinballKen:

Probably Aaron. goonie Every time I saw him this weekend he had a huge smile on his face.

Well, not everytime. It tended to fall off whenever a certain person named Greg came around. Although, after a while I just ran away and left him with Keith.

Quoted from PinballKen:

It made me happy just seeing him. Such a phenomenal dude who does so much for the show.

Awe shucks. Right back at ya man!

#1245 5 years ago

7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg7EA4D3B9-68FD-4933-8DCF-E5A58C4E6085 (resized).jpeg

#1246 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

a certain person named Greg came around

ok, I gotta know... What is the deal with Greg?

#1247 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

ok, I gotta know... What is the deal with Greg?

I'll tell you over a beer some time...

#1248 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

The first was actually a Stern employee on Friday.
    Sorry about your glass. But yeah, I'm surprised there weren't more.

Maybe next year a vendor should bring extra glass to sell at the show.

#1249 5 years ago
    Quoted from HamsterHerder:

Maybe next year a vendor should bring extra glass to sell at the show.

Next year I plan to bring a bunch of pipe insulation pieces to use for glass when you are going to set it on the ground.

#1250 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Next year I plan to bring a bunch of pipe insulation pieces to use for glass when you are going to set it on the ground.

Super good idea

There are 1,450 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-moving-locations/page/25?hl=hayrebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.