6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by epthegeek
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BOP.JPG
    Tron_Finished.jpeg
    amishmafia.jpg
    20130323_185529.jpg
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!animatronic.jpg
    DSCF0264.JPG
    IMAG3383.jpg
    IMAG3381.jpg
    IMAG3393.jpg
    IMAG3392.jpg
    IMAG3391.jpg
    IMAG3390.jpg
    IMAG3389.jpg
    IMAG3387.jpg
    IMAG3386.jpg
    IMAG3385.jpg

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

A couple of large posters on easels at each door and maybe hanging in the game room might get more attention and generate less garbage. Or maybe a card put under the glass on each apron?

So plenty of time to get cracking on this, what tips should we all have on it.

1.Please do not play 2-4 multi-player by yourself
    2.Before starting a consecutive game on any machine do a 360 to see if anyone else is waiting in line first
    3.Do not carpet bomb the Hotel in any area with your booty stank unless in bathroom
    4.Avoid any camping trips with centerflank

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

So plenty of time to get cracking on this, what tips should we all have on it.
    1.Please do not play 2-4 multi-player by yourself
    2.Before starting a consecutive game on any machine do a 360 to see if anyone else is waiting in line first
    3.Do not carpet bomb the Hotel in any area with your booty stank unless in bathroom
    4.Avoid any camping trips with centerflank

Be Polite!
    - Only start 1 game per player
    - If people are waiting, give them a turn

Be Social!
    - Start a multi-player game with someone you don't know!

Also, don't put "Midwest Gaming Classic" on the card. Credit it to the Pinball Owners Club or something. So they know it's not rules made up by the guys running the show, they're suggestions made by the people who provided the machines.

Near the gameroom doors, there was a sign at the door leading to the outside patio saying "No Smoking on the Patio" (or something like that). Maybe add, "Farting outside is encouraged."

#153 6 years ago

I like the ideas SzewczykM!

Credit to the pinball owners rather than MGC is great. Keeps anyone from being mad at MGC.

I would also like to see something about game handling.

Be Nice!
    Please be nice to the games or the owners may not bring them back in the future to share with all of us. If you notice a stuck ball or a problem please turn off the game and call the number on the game.

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

Yeah, I'm getting a room next year for Saturday Night. The 45 minute drive at 2PM was a killer and I didn't drink so I couldn't make an ass of myself.
    chris

Don't worry- I was 'ass' enough for both of us!

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

Don't worry- I was 'ass' enough for both of us!

Nope. You were a Pro. No wine on your white shirt and up the next AM back on the Arcade Floor.

BTW: I think NBAFB will be heading out the door.

chris

#156 6 years ago

I want to add a huge thank you to all the people that brought games and then were patient with us as we juggled things to make everything fit. Especially the guys that came later when we were struggling for space and had to be extra patient with us.

There were also a few guys that were good enough to let us move already placed games to help cram more and keep the flow as good as possible. One guy in particular brought a bunch of vids to sell and we ended up moving him a couple times and splitting up what he brought (I think he posted here, but I can't seem to find it now). I know that was a big hassle, but he was very cool about it. I hate having to do stuff like that, but I really appreciate the patience. We didn't get too much crap about doing what we had to do, which was nice.

We try to make it "first come, first serve" with the space, but there were a couple times we had to break that, mostly for the overall fit and flow of the room to make the most sense. I know there were a few guys who showed up either late Friday or even Saturday morning and were disappointed about not getting their machine into the arcade room. I understand that frustration, but the only way to avoid that is to get there earlier, even if you preregistered. We will always find a spot, but there is no way we can guarantee it will be in the arcade room unless you get there early. I hope you all understand that. Thankfully we were able to get quite a few of the hallway games (pins at least) into the room as the show went on and other stuff moved out.

So thanks again to everyone who brought games to share, and an extra special thanks to those we had to shuffle around for all of your patience. I think the show was a great success overall, and you all are a huge part of that!

#157 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I want to add a huge thank you to all the people that brought games and then were patient with us as we juggled things to make everything fit. Especially the guys that came later when we were struggling for space and had to be extra patient with us.
    There were also a few guys that were good enough to let us move already placed games to help cram more and keep the flow as good as possible. One guy in particular brought a bunch of vids to sell and we ended up moving him a couple times and splitting up what he brought (I think he posted here, but I can't seem to find it now). I know that was a big hassle, but he was very cool about it. I hate having to do stuff like that, but I really appreciate the patience. We didn't get too much crap about doing what we had to do, which was nice.
    We try to make it "first come, first serve" with the space, but there were a couple times we had to break that, mostly for the overall fit and flow of the room to make the most sense. I know there were a few guys who showed up either late Friday or even Saturday morning and were disappointed about not getting their machine into the arcade room. I understand that frustration, but the only way to avoid that is to get there earlier, even if you preregistered. We will always find a spot, but there is no way we can guarantee it will be in the arcade room unless you get there early. I hope you all understand that. Thankfully we were able to get quite a few of the hallway games (pins at least) into the room as the show went on and other stuff moved out.
    So thanks again to everyone who brought games to share, and an extra special thanks to those we had to shuffle around for all of your patience. I think the show was a great success overall, and you all are a huge part of that!

Thanks to you guys. As things left things were brought in from the hallway. I left pretty late Saturday night and was back by 8:30 sunday morning and things were already moved into the Arcade room. Its amazing what you guys pull off. I know everyone comments on improvements, myself included, but you guys really manage the space to its fullest.

chris

#158 6 years ago

Yeah, I was also amazed at how well you guys organized things this year. You did an amazing job of making it all work. I know that Dan mentioned that a big thing that would help in future years is if EVERYONE woudl preregister for the games they are bringing. Apparantly about 20% that showed up were not registered which I am sure makes it difficult to plan ahead.

Tully, Chris, Keith, etc... really did a great job!

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Right on Amish mafia.

I get no respect, I tells ya'.

-Mark

#160 6 years ago

Maybe the pic will actually upload this time...

amishmafia.jpg

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, I was also amazed at how well you guys organized things this year. You did an amazing job of making it all work. I know that Dan mentioned that a big thing that would help in future years is if EVERYONE woudl preregister for the games they are bringing. Apparantly about 20% that showed up were not registered which I am sure makes it difficult to plan ahead.
    Tully, Chris, Keith, etc... really did a great job!

Thanks man. You helped a ton too. Great job on Clock Chaos. Sorry I couldn't help with that, but I already had my hands full (and was already pretty burnt out...LOL!).

#162 6 years ago

Hugh Thanks to Steve, Chris, Keith, Brian, Eric and Dan.
    Big thanks to Hilton for running a very smooth Clock Chaos Tournament.
    Even more thanks go out to PinballLife, Pincades, Paul Reno and all the other vendors.
    MGC was great this year. Can't wait till next year.
    Tom.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Hugh Thanks to Steve, Chris, Keith, Brian, Eric and Dan.
    Big thanks to Hilton for running a very smooth Clock Chaos Tournament.
    Even more thanks go out to PinballLife, Pincades, Paul Reno and all the other vendors.
    MGC was great this year. Can't wait till next year.
    Tom.

Everything Tom said, thanks all!

#164 6 years ago

Well, I'm finally starting to feel a little more "normal" after the weekend of moving around machines and lack of sleep.

I'd just like to personally re-iterate what Chris said so well. Thank you to EVERYONE who brought games to the show. Thank you to EVERYONE for your patience as we tried to accommodate everyone and move people around. As Dan has previously said, it would be great to have more space (we really need it), but that really isn't possible right now in the Milwaukee area without completely changing what the MGC is.

Overall, I think the arcade hall (and overflow) ran the smoothest it has since I've been involved. More machines remained on and playable than any previous MGC and any other show I've been to. I personally made efforts to contact people when their game went down and in general, they came down to get it back up and running again (usually it was just a stuck ball).

While I won't say "can't wait until next year" quite yet (I still hurt), I'll probably say that in a month from now. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to seeing everyone in 2014.

Keith

Quoted from Jediturtle:

#165 6 years ago

The only places that seem to be crazy overcrowded are the game hall and the tournament hallway area right outside the game hall.

I don't think there is any solution to he game hall. If it could suddenly magically become bigger, it would still be crowded. Game halls at these kinds if shows are always crowded and I think that's just the way it is.

On the other hand, maybe something could be done about the tournament area in the hallway outside the game hall. I have no idea what can be done, but that is the most cramped hallway by far.

Regardless of all this... I continue to LOVE LOVE LOVE my time at MGC and I am already looking forward to next year.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The one time I saw an adult playing a 4 player game, I instructed him that was not polite. He told me to piss off>> I explained it was my game and he was now done playing. I flipped it off, then back on and let the guy behind him play. After the Ahole left, the other guy told me how thankful he was that I did that.

More people need to speak up. Not just here but life in general. So sick of people like that thinking the world revolves around them.

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Credit to the pinball owners rather than MGC is great. Keeps anyone from being mad at MGC.

I don't think that anyone would be mad at us for telling them to not be jerks, but I would suggest that it is even cooler coming from "the owners."

One thing that I will say is you can't just say that they should play one game. Describe how you should check the ball trough to see if there is a ball there, and THEN press the button once if there is not. It's honestly the tough thing about not having them on coin play - if it is on coin play and you drop in a credit and hammer the button four times, it starts one game. Hammer the button, and it starts multiple games.

I've even seen tournament players who know what they are doing accidentally start two games.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I know that Dan mentioned that a big thing that would help in future years is if EVERYONE woudl preregister for the games they are bringing. Apparantly about 20% that showed up were not registered which I am sure makes it difficult to plan ahead.

This year, that 20% number actually went up a little to about 25% of what was there not being pre-registered. It's tough to plan like that for sure.

Quoted from ChadH:

On the other hand, maybe something could be done about the tournament area in the hallway outside the game hall. I have no idea what can be done, but that is the most cramped hallway by far.

It's tough because no matter where this goes, it creates issues. There really isn't a better space at the moment for it, unless we can find the table top guys somewhere else and then take over the lobby, but the lobby doesn't have electrical and I really would like to not drop another five figure number on Doc Ock upgrades again for a while. The more custom we make that thing, the less "portable" it is for future events, and god only knows we don't need a tens-of-thousands-of-dollar portable power grid just sitting around taking up space.

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

A couple of large posters on easels at each door and maybe hanging in the game room might get more attention and generate less garbage.

Oh sorry, we did this twice. It didn't help at all.

#169 6 years ago

As far as the pin etiquette goes, I might be able to help. On my job I'm able to access the gear truck. I can bring an assortment of less lethals. In other words, somebody racks up a 4 player game, he receives a free beanbag (from a shotgun). Or, we can try the signs, up to
    you.

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigduke6:

As far as the pin etiquette goes, I might be able to help. On my job I'm able to access the gear truck. I can bring an assortment of less lethals. In other words, somebody racks up a 4 player game, he receives a free beanbag (from a shotgun). Or, we can try the signs, up to
    you.

I vote beanbag or tazer. I had a guy rack up a 4 player on a Funhouse. Funny not 1 of the 4 scores could compete with even a 5 year old.

#171 6 years ago

I will promise to bring these 2 next year.

// Error: Image 84954 not found // Tron_Finished.jpeg BOP.JPG

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I don't think that anyone would be mad at us for telling them to not be jerks, but I would suggest that it is even cooler coming from "the owners."
    One thing that I will say is you can't just say that they should play one game. Describe how you should check the ball trough to see if there is a ball there, and THEN press the button once if there is not. It's honestly the tough thing about not having them on coin play - if it is on coin play and you drop in a credit and hammer the button four times, it starts one game. Hammer the button, and it starts multiple games.
    I've even seen tournament players who know what they are doing accidentally start two games.

This year, that 20% number actually went up a little to about 25% of what was there not being pre-registered. It's tough to plan like that for sure.

It's tough because no matter where this goes, it creates issues. There really isn't a better space at the moment for it, unless we can find the table top guys somewhere else and then take over the lobby, but the lobby doesn't have electrical and I really would like to not drop another five figure number on Doc Ock upgrades again for a while. The more custom we make that thing, the less "portable" it is for future events, and god only knows we don't need a tens-of-thousands-of-dollar portable power grid just sitting around taking up space.

My only complaint (not complaint really, "thing I wish was a little better") is that I find trying to walk through the tournament area tough. All of the people standing there block people trying to walk through. Some times a "one way" lane opens up where you wait for the crowd to come through before the traffic starts to flow the other way.

Traffic seems to move through the areas where there is nothing to stop and gawk at. This would cost money but maybe you line up the pins with their backs facing out to make a kind of hallway. Put cameras on the games and let people watch the games on screens in the bar or somewhere else near but out of the way.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

I will promise to bring these 2 next year.

Sweet. Hopefully there will be a FS sticker on the BOP there was a Tron Arcade there this year but I didn't get a chance to play it.

I think the vids are fun. I started as a video kid growing up so its always nice to play some of them at MGC.

chris

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

I think the vids are fun. I started as a video kid growing up so its always nice to play some of them at MGC.
    chris

I was a die hard arcade brat as a kid too. Tons of hours spent at the arcade; turned my nose up at the 'crappy home versions' of things that paled in comparison to the real games. Worked in an Aladdin's Castle for four and a half years, loved being there all the time. I just loved arcade games whole-heartedly.

And now ... meh.

Don't know what happened. But given the option, I'll always play pinball instead.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 13.00
    Playfields
    Lermods
    $ 109.99
    $ 9.99
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 39.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Texas Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside