6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by epthegeek
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BOP.JPG
    Tron_Finished.jpeg
    amishmafia.jpg
    20130323_185529.jpg
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!animatronic.jpg
    DSCF0264.JPG
    IMAG3383.jpg
    IMAG3381.jpg
    IMAG3393.jpg
    IMAG3392.jpg
    IMAG3391.jpg
    IMAG3390.jpg
    IMAG3389.jpg
    IMAG3387.jpg
    IMAG3386.jpg
    IMAG3385.jpg

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

I bought the Space Shuttle and the Big Guns. I asked Chris if he would shut them off because I didn't want something happening to them before I got them home. I live in central Iowa and we don't have access to repair tech's so getting a machine repaired is not an easy or cheap task. When you buy a used car, you don't tell the dealer to continue to let other people test drive it for a couple of days.

Congrats on the new purchases.

I can understand your concern about them needing repair esp if this may be out of your scope of knowledge. It just would have been nice to have that space for machines people can play. It's just a little sad for those that bring machines and those that buy tickets to the show. You walk in and see 2 slots where playable machines could be, but its being used as storage.

I heard rumor that over 12 machines were turned away because the show was out of space. Kind of shame.

Hopefully next year you can bring 1 or 2 back so we can all enjoy them. Also I think you'll find there are Pinheads all over the country esp in your neck of the woods that are interested and excited to help. Plus if you bring a machine to play you get in free for the weekend.

Quoted from Chrizg:

On the subject about games being turned off - I sold shuttle and Big Guns early on Saturday and the new owner wanted them turned off. I should of pulled them.

Hey Chris,

It was nice to meet you this weekend. The SS and the BG were nice examples. Congrats on the sales.

chris

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I am laughing with Mark, not at him.
    Epic fail as an example of self control, Mark! Once again, laughing with you and not at you. You are laughing, right?

It's all good.

#103 6 years ago

I had a great time at the show. THanks to Dan and everyone else for putting it on. I was there Friday night and to see them all running around in a frenzy to get things ready was an indication of how dedicated they are to this show.

The crowds were bad. They were like this last year also. I spent both Friday and Saturday at the hotel. To avoid some of the crowds. I leave at about 11:00 on Saturday and don't come back until around 5:00 that night. This thins some of the crowd out and I still have enough time to see all the games I want.

I don't think some people know the etiquet for playing the games. The person who plays a 4 player by themselves for example. Maybe some sinage would help. I don't think people are trying to be asses they are just ignorant

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

I can understand your concern about them needing repair esp if this may be out of your scope of knowledge. It just would have been nice to have that space for machines people can play. It's just a little sad for those that bring machines and those that buy tickets to the show. You walk in and see 2 slots where playable machines could be, but its being used as storage.
    I heard rumor that over 12 machines were turned away because the show was out of space. Kind of shame.
    Hopefully next year you can bring 1 or 2 back so we can all enjoy them. Also I think you'll find there are Pinheads all over the country esp in your neck of the woods that are interested and excited to help. Plus if you bring a machine to play you get in free for the weekend.

Hey Chris,
    It was nice to meet you this weekend. The SS and the BG were nice examples. Congrats on the sales.
    chris

That's a rumor we do not need. No machines were, nor will ever be, turned away. We found spots for everything that showed up and excuse me for saying so, I think we did a damn good job of it given what we had to work with.

There are many reasons that we cannot just simply move to a bigger venue. It's not as easy as you all seem to think. I'll let Dan get into more specifics if he wants to, but the bottom line is that if there was a good alternative, we would already be there. Please keep in mind the show has more than doubled in size in a few short years. We are doing the best we can do.

For the person that said half the machines were off...that's another crap rumor that needs to be stomped now. There were no more than a handful of games off in the arcade at any given time the entire weekend, all for various, good reasons. We tried our best to move out broken games to replace with working ones, but it's almost impossible to do that in the middle of the crowds. Many games were shuffled between Saturday and Sunday, and as many as we could during the days. If it was difficult to walk around or stand in line, imagine how difficult it was to move machines through that. We did what we could. Very few of the games in the arcade were non-working at the start of the show. Crap happens in an environment like this and we got them fixed or out whenever we could.

As for wait times, yes, it was crowded, but I never saw more than a 2-3 person wait for anything (other than WOZ). I'm sorry if a 5-10 minute wait is unacceptable. Better not go to an amusement park.

The show is for vids and pins. That's how it has always been, and how it will stay. We did our best to keep a good mix in the arcade room and do the best for flow (to keep that overcrowded feel as manageable as possible). This was way better than last year. Let's not fight about which is better or if one doesn't deserve to be there. I'm a pin guy, but I played a crap load of Mario Bros and Monkey Ball and appreciated that they were there.

As for the person saying we need 100% more games...wow...really? Have you done a count at Chicago Expo lately compared to our turnout? We aren't the biggest, but don't imply we don't have a damn good amount of games show up, most in nice shape and many "favorites". This is 100% reliant on YOU. If you don't like the amount of games or which games are showing up, only you can change it by bringing yours. We will help you get them in and set up and I promise we'll find a place for them.

I am glad so many of you had fun. I am sorry so many of you didn't. We bust our asses trying to accommodate everyone as best we can, but it will never be perfect. I'm sorry if that's not good enough.

Chris Matte

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

We tried to find it forever (figured it was the EMs in a row), but turned out to be TS with a crispy transformer. It was removed and the smell disappeared. IMHO, more reason that MGC needs to emphasize that people should NOT be bringing games that they do not have working.

Shadow *was* working (I have a picture of it!), it just ate itself. More to the point, the owner was actively trying to both diagnose and fix the machine, feeling kind of bad that it was dead.

Sometimes these things happen; a couple of years ago I brought eight games to the MGC. Along the way, Quicksilver decided that it wasn't having any of it. Though it would boot something was clearly very wrong and I had to down it for the entire show. It happens, and few intend or plan for it to happen that way.

Quoted from BigB:

When you buy a used car, you don't tell the dealer to continue to let other people test drive it for a couple of days.

People also tend not to leave them on the lot once sold. Just sayin'.

I do understand where you're coming from, though I don't subscribe to it. I'm more of a "give back" type of guy.

Post edited by TheKorn : I'm an idiot that can't articulate thoughts clearly.

#106 6 years ago

Big thanks to Dan and the crew for pulling off another amazing MGC.
    Had a blast meeting so many of you face-to-face and hearing all your stories.

Whysnow- FT definitely earned Best In Show. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.
    Neo- i'm beyond impressed with your artistic talent.
    Trilogybeer- by far the most unique pin i've ever played. And the tastiest.
    Methos- I hope you were able to get Rudy to finally shut his trap (mouth...not door).

Next year will be my 3rd MGC so it's about time i bring a game.
    I'm thinking Sorcerer will make the trip with me in 2014.
    Would be great if we could get a Space Shuttle and Comet to also make the trip for a little System 9 reunion...

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I am glad so many of you had fun. I am sorry so many of you didn't. We bust our asses trying to accommodate everyone as best we can, but it will never be perfect. I'm sorry if that's not good enough.
    Chris Matte

Damnit Chris, once again I missed you, probably because you were running around like the rest of the crew putting out fires all weekend. As a proud new beer sponsor for the MGC, let me just say, THANK YOU for all you guys do. Nothing's perfect and it never will be, but you guys come damn close.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

Big thanks to Dan and the crew for pulling off another amazing MGC.
    Had a blast meeting so many of you face-to-face and hearing all your stories.
    Whysnow- FT definitely earned Best In Show. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.
    Neo- i'm beyond impressed with your artistic talent.
    Trilogybeer- by far the most unique pin i've ever played. And the tastiest.
    Methos- I hope you were able to get Rudy to finally shut his trap (mouth...not door).
    Next year will be my 3rd MGC so it's about time i bring a game.
    I'm thinking Sorcerer will make the trip with me in 2014.
    Would be great if we could get a Space Shuttle and Comet to also make the trip for a little System 9 reunion...

I will bring a restored Space Shuttle next year, no problem.... doing the PF swap after I can get FH off of the rotisserie...

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I will bring a restored Space Shuttle next year, no problem.... doing the PF swap after I can get FH off of the rotisserie...

Nice!
    My sorcerer is mostly restored ("good" playfield touchups/clearcoated/LEDs/new plastics/rottendog displays/etc).
    Just needs some cabinet touch-ups.

Now we just need to track down a Comet. . .

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Damnit Chris, once again I missed you, probably because you were running around like the rest of the crew putting out fires all weekend. As a proud new beer sponsor for the MGC, let me just say, THANK YOU for all you guys do. Nothing's perfect and it never will be, but you guys come damn close.

Thanks Bryan (and the others who have given us kudos, both at the show and here...it's good to know we are appreciated). I did see you a couple times while running back and forth. I yelled hi at you once, but in the crowd I'm sure you didn't even hear me...LOL! Thanks for helping keep the party guys hydrated! Hope you had a great trip.

#111 6 years ago

This doesn't' get said enough - It was extremely helpful having Rob Anthony there to fix boards and such.
    And of course Steve Tully who does pretty much everything and anything.

#112 6 years ago

I agree. I was very impressed with how quickly the guys running it took care of things from repairs to moving pins in and out. It was my first year and I was very impressed with the way things were run. Not so impressed with Bryan Kelley's Beer selection...

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Wanted to say that for anyone that is disappointed about the crowding then an easy solution on a personel level would be to bring a game.
    You then are allowed entrance into the afterparty which runs from 8:30 on Sat night till??? (I think it tailed off around 2am this year). You could basically play any game to your hearts content. It was by far the best way to play games if that is your main concern.
    I also thought of it a a good stress test for the game I brought.

They cut the power at 4am. Some of us had to be told it was bedtime.

#114 6 years ago

Any criticisms I made about overcrowding were intended as being constructive. I will do my part to alleviate the overcrowding by only attending the afterparty and by bringing a functioning game. My kids will just have to stay home next year.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Thanks Bryan (and the others who have given us kudos, both at the show and here...it's good to know we are appreciated). I did see you a couple times while running back and forth. I yelled hi at you once, but in the crowd I'm sure you didn't even hear me...LOL! Thanks for helping keep the party guys hydrated! Hope you had a great trip.

I did hear someone yelling my name, but I thought it was Dan with security, so I just kept running!

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Guilty as charged.

Just glad I woke up in my bed and not in a hallway or bathtub.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

That's a rumor we do not need. No machines were, nor will ever be, turned away. We found spots for everything that showed up and excuse me for saying so, I think we did a damn good job of it given what we had to work with.
    There are many reasons that we cannot just simply move to a bigger venue. It's not as easy as you all seem to think. I'll let Dan get into more specifics if he wants to, but the bottom line is that if there was a good alternative, we would already be there. Please keep in mind the show has more than doubled in size in a few short years. We are doing the best we can do.
    For the person that said half the machines were off...that's another crap rumor that needs to be stomped now. There were no more than a handful of games off in the arcade at any given time the entire weekend, all for various, good reasons. We tried our best to move out broken games to replace with working ones, but it's almost impossible to do that in the middle of the crowds. Many games were shuffled between Saturday and Sunday, and as many as we could during the days. If it was difficult to walk around or stand in line, imagine how difficult it was to move machines through that. We did what we could. Very few of the games in the arcade were non-working at the start of the show. Crap happens in an environment like this and we got them fixed or out whenever we could.
    As for wait times, yes, it was crowded, but I never saw more than a 2-3 person wait for anything (other than WOZ). I'm sorry if a 5-10 minute wait is unacceptable. Better not go to an amusement park.
    The show is for vids and pins. That's how it has always been, and how it will stay. We did our best to keep a good mix in the arcade room and do the best for flow (to keep that overcrowded feel as manageable as possible). This was way better than last year. Let's not fight about which is better or if one doesn't deserve to be there. I'm a pin guy, but I played a crap load of Mario Bros and Monkey Ball and appreciated that they were there.
    As for the person saying we need 100% more games...wow...really? Have you done a count at Chicago Expo lately compared to our turnout? We aren't the biggest, but don't imply we don't have a damn good amount of games show up, most in nice shape and many "favorites". This is 100% reliant on YOU. If you don't like the amount of games or which games are showing up, only you can change it by bringing yours. We will help you get them in and set up and I promise we'll find a place for them.
    Chris Matte

I will just say that I will be coming back as much as I can. I really only got to talk to Dan but you guys do one helluva job. I had a blast. For god sakes it's meant to be fun. I think it's great more people are turning out for this show.

#118 6 years ago

I wanted to send out another thanks to Eric(epthegeek). He is almost too nice, No need to go into it, but I owe you one my man
    Jay

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

So you bringing games next year to help out ?
    LTG : )

I get your point but don't have time/means to lug a game there. Was short on time so flew in. Man were my arms tired. The layout of the space was cool. You had to travel the halls and visit rooms. If you have not been, you can imagine crawling through a fraternity house.

Maybe by adding a day, it would help string out the crowd. Make Friday $25 so it is cheaper and now many people would choose between attending one of those days instead of both two days. Also if there were 200 games, pick a number of games you think are needed and plan to make it happen. I am positive it is possible to lay things out more efficiently and get more games per same space. I would have swapped arcade and vendor rooms, getting more space to house games and been more selective on vendors in renting smaller space.

Those few simple changes would have made a big impact in a good way. Maybe add a few more years to this
    venue while searching for another. Also these would bring me back.

My hats off to organizers and everyone that helped and everyone bringing games. I had a great time and talked with fantastic pinheads.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I get your point but don't have time/means to lug a game there. Was short on time so flew in. Man were my arms tired. The layout of the space was cool. You had to travel the halls and visit rooms. If you have not been, you can imagine crawling through a fraternity house.
    Maybe by adding a day, it would help string out the crowd. Make Friday $25 so it is cheaper and now many people would choose between attending one of those days instead of both two days. Also if there were 200 games, pick a number of games you think are needed and plan to make it happen. I am positive it is possible to lay things out more efficiently and get more games per same space. I would have swapped arcade and vendor rooms, getting more space to house games and been more selective on vendors in renting smaller space.
    Those few simple changes would have made a big impact in a good way. Maybe add a few more years to this
    venue while searching for another. Also these would bring me back.
    My hats off to organizers and everyone that helped and everyone bringing games. I had a great time and talked with fantastic pinheads.

How do you think those games get there? We are all ordinary everyday guys with jobs. We buy cars that haul pins or we rent. We bust our balls getting the games out of the basement and bringing them there for you to play. I left mine there until the 5:00 closing as many others did. That means I got home to see my family at 10:00 last night. None of us have the means. We all just do a little and it turns into something spectacular. Rent a truck and bring a game or be happy with it the way it is. I am.

#121 6 years ago

Thanks for everyone who brought games. I will bring at least 2 next year. I don't think my BOP could compete with the quality of all the other pins there.

#122 6 years ago

I sold my R&B very early on Saturday. What I thought was pretty cool about the new owner was that he kept it up and running till after 3 on Sunday. Alot of guys would have pulled it right away. Thanks Dan. And it goes without saying that I had a great time, and hats off to the crew that makes it all happen.

Scott.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

I bought the Space Shuttle and the Big Guns. I asked Chris if he would shut them off because I didn't want something happening to them before I got them home. I live in central Iowa and we don't have access to repair tech's so getting a machine repaired is not an easy or cheap task. When you buy a used car, you don't tell the dealer to continue to let other people test drive it for a couple of days.

Brawny, those are very nice games you got. I never played Big Guns and it was a blast. I missed out on a nicely priced one a few months back. Due to me not knowing the game play I passed. Enjoy your new games, that Space Shuttle was amazing.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from kastawaykid:

Maybe I was there at the wrong time or something, because it also seemed like almost half the games were off. This could have also lead to the rudeness of people. After 2 hours of dealing with it, I was done and we left.

Hey Jedi...please read my whole post before commenting about something I posted. I did not post here to start rumors, it was just my wife and mines opinions. Everyone has theirs and I was posting mine - how can you get better without listening to bad and good comments? When I was there, there were many more than a handful turned off, sorry to say. Like someone else said, If the machine was bought and the buyer did not want it played, it probably should have been removed from the arcade. That way it probably would not seemed to me like many machines were not working.

#125 6 years ago

I'm kinda curious to the people who had people do the 4 player games in front of them - did you say anything? I'm not being a wise ass, just some people need reminding.

Last year at Expo, an older gentlemen *tried* to do the old 4 player trick on a AFM when there
    was 5 or 6 people deep in line. I wasn't directly behind him, I believe it was a younger couple waiting behind him. Well, they didn't say anything, but politely, I just notified him there was other
    people waiting to play. Of course he says under his breath "I paid to get in here". My response "you think other people here didn't?" He said something under his breath and walked away.
    I was later thanked by that younger couple from that same line. Sometimes you just have to speak up and say something... For the record, I did not witness this behavior not once on Sat.

If I play a game and it ends I always look around if other people are waiting to play said machine. Now if I see someone else waiting and I *really* wanted to play it again, I ask if they want to go two player. I've meet some cool pinheads doing this......

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gomer1969:

I don't think some people know the etiquet for playing the games. The person who plays a 4 player by themselves for example. Maybe some sinage would help. I don't think people are trying to be asses they are just ignorant

I hate walking up to a game that is open but is sitting there on ball 2 of player 3 of a 4 player game. Now I look like an ass as I finish it off and even more of an ass if I start my own real game afterwards.

#127 6 years ago

3 1/2 minute video taken Saturday....around noon. Be forewarned, I am not a skilled photographer.

#128 6 years ago

At least 2 of the machines were powered off a couple times because a breaker popped. As soon as I
    knew about it I was hunting down for the electrician to reset the breaker. This happened a couple of times because of a shorted outlet plug but when he found the source of the short it did not happen any more. The electrician that we had there was awesome and kept everything going well
    at an arms length (cell phone) away. I was impressed with everyone who made this show happen and I hope I can be there again next year. The party was the best part of course but the AC/DC band was awesome too and I could not see having a more appropriate band! I hope they have them next year so the people that could not make it could get a chance to have the experience.
    With the amount of people that this show had I was glad to be part of it. It truly is what you make it to be and if going to this with a positive attitude this show was better than Chicago expo by far.
    I did attend this years Chicago expo in Sept. for that weekend and it was great but this was much more cool to see and be present for.
    I can't think of one thing to complain about. I like the idea of swapping with the vendor room for more space.
    As far as rude people go...there are always going to be some in the crowd when you have numbers like this. I did not get to talk to 1/10 the people I wanted too because I was torn between playing many different pins against my 14 year old son and eating and drinking like a TSPP Barney! I hope to be able talk to more pinheads next year.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

Hey Chris,
    chris

I could only come to the show on Saturday. Chris was willing to deliver them to me on his way home Sunday night. This was my first time coming to the show and if I knew the issues this was going to cause, I would have done things differently. I certainly did not try to cause any problems. The event has room for improvements but nothing that could not be overcome. I myself didn't like certain aspects of the show but I know that it's awful difficult to please everyone. If you try to, you will fail miserably. Overall, I thought things went well. My wife and I had a blast. We got to play some pinball, we bought a couple of pins and we got to mingle with other like minded folks.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I'm kinda curious to the people who had people do the 4 player games in front of them - did you say anything? I'm not being a wise ass, just some people need reminding.

Numerous times I would check up on my FT and there would be someone (usually a young kid) playing 4 games all by themselves. No parent to be seen and no supervision at all. I would always let the kid know that polite manners would mean only playing a 1 person game and then seeing if anyone else is around > if not then play another 1 person game. Most of the times they said sorry and at least acted like they understood. If there parents had actually been around I would likely have had more to say to them.

The one time I saw an adult playing a 4 player game, I instructed him that was not polite. He told me to piss off>> I explained it was my game and he was now done playing. I flipped it off, then back on and let the guy behind him play. After the Ahole left, the other guy told me how thankful he was that I did that.

#131 6 years ago

Wow, MGC was nuts. Great job, guys! I haven't seen mentioned, Dan announced at the after party that Saturday's gate was over 4500 people, more than both days last year!

I finally brought a game this year, one of the three Tommys. Even with three of them, there was almost always someone playing mine (the one by the door). Not one hiccup, either; Eric S. did a great job on it before selling it to me a while back.

I like the idea of switching the vendor hall with the arcade hall, though I doubt it would fly with the powers that be. But I bet some vendors wouldn't mind being in one of the converted hotel rooms. I would personally consider having a room to show off my handheld electronic game collection, museum fashion, and have some for sale. But I'd have to pay someone to babysit it, I'm not about to spend all weekend in there!

#132 6 years ago

Hey all,

First off, thanks for all of the kind words and the (mostly) constructive criticism. We do pay attention... Some quick replies here, and then a bigger one at the bottom...

Quoted from ChrisS:

Nope. The guys can confirm that the hotel and us walked around figuring out additional space on Friday night. We probably had space for another 25 that was ready to go.

I will say it is a bit of a pain that so many people don't register or tell us what they are bringing. Last year, pre-reg was 222, we had over 275 total arcade and pins. This year pre-reg was 224. Final game tally? North of 300. That does make it more difficult for sure.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am positive it is possible to lay things out more efficiently and get more games per same space. I would have swapped arcade and vendor rooms, getting more space to house games and been more selective on vendors in renting smaller space.

It's funny, unless we made smaller aisles, we have had a half-dozen people look at the map and they all come to the conclusion that with the requirements that we have (fire doors, etc), we have as many as possible. Swapping the vendor hall and the pinball space just simply isn't possible. It wouldn't gain us any space, as the vendor hall is also packed as people saw, it would cost us tens of thousands more in electrical work to get the power over there, and at best it would be a band-aid for a space problem that we are well aware of (more of that in a minute...)

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Wow, MGC was nuts. Great job, guys! I haven't seen mentioned, Dan announced at the after party that Saturday's gate was over 4500 people, more than both days last year!

Actually, I said it was nearly last year's gate. Last year was just above 5,000 people for the two day show. This year appears as if it was around 7,000 total.

...and speaking of space and crowdedness and all that fun stuff. It is a problem we are well aware of, but there are TONS of issues that keep getting thrown in front of us. To not make this a book...

We needed to get a law changed in the city of Milwaukee so we could go there. After we set up meetings and stuff like that to try to talk about it, they randomly changed it before we had input.

At the same time, we had been having meetings with a considerably larger venue near the airport, which including their hallways would have doubled our space. The day we found out the law was changed, we also found out that the venue we were talking with was being closed and slated for demolition. I heard that they auctioned the contents off two weeks ago.

There is not currently a mid-range place in Milwaukee that is easy to go. State Fair and the Delta Airlines Center and us both have great relationships, but the cost is outrageous, mostly because to plug in a single outlet would cost us about $200 per location. As an electronic gaming show, think about how that adds up. Along with that, in both of those locations, even if you're just dropped off a game, you'd have to pay for parking. That SUCKS.

When we thought we were moving to the other venue, we decided that we would raise the prices this year to see what would happen. It was also determined that Doc Ock would get a massive addition, we'd create new rooms out of hotel rooms (another cost), we'd add more activities to the show like the band at night, and we'd build out infrastructure to the tune of well over $20,000 in new investments this year. If attendance was flat, we could stay at the Sheraton and continue to upgrade the infrastructure. If attendance rose, we'd be able to afford the move to the larger venue the next year.

Then, we found out that hotel was being demolished. There are a few things on the table, but we don't know if we'll be able to find a suitable venue in a year, two, or more. It's the number one issue we're facing. We are literally attempting to work with local government to try to see what can be done, and are doing our best. I spent probably half an hour with Fox News on Saturday who is preparing a report about how conventions that are our size in the city of Milwaukee don't have a good next step up. They intend to air it in a week or two. We're hoping that some city with a plan that we don't know about now steps up.

If you've got an idea, you know where to contact me. We're all ears. But in talking with four different city governments, the news, and as many different places as we can find, no one has yet found us anything better that is staying open.

...Again, thanks again for all of the kind comments, Gary and I really do pour a lot of ourselves into the show, and we were both very worried going into this year's show about how badly we ballooned the budget trying to make it as awesome as possible. We're really glad to know that a lot of you really appreciate the effort and contributed in HUGE ways to making it as great as it was.

Oh yeah, and that Mystery Castle was mine at the show Speaking of things sometimes not working out how you expect, it was totally shopped and ready to go a couple weeks ago, played perfectly. We were going to use it in Clock Chaos. Got to the show, and the game wouldn't fire up at all.

Glad it was an easy fix, and thank you Steve for figuring it out for me!

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

There are a few things on the table, but we don't know if we'll be able to find a suitable venue in a year, two, or more.

I hope things do come together.

MGC is an awesome show and it would be exciting to see it continue to grow.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I hope things do come together.
    MGC is an awesome show and it would be exciting to see it continue to grow.

Agreed and already looking forward to next year!!!

#135 6 years ago

Well said Dan.

#136 6 years ago

Nice Dan! Pics of tron!!!

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nice Dan! Pics of tron!!!

Soon, whole gallery will be coming once we get it set back up. We wanted to do it on Saturday and Sunday, but it was in nearly constant use!

#138 6 years ago

The non pinheads sometimes have no idea what is going on and tend to press start more then once........I see them doing it at my house and yes I show them the correct way of starting a one player game. So I can see this happening at a show where it is hard to hear or maybe where their parents have no idea what to do either.

Dont get me wrong, I am sure there are people starting four player games just so they can continue to play.

Chris

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

I see them doing it at my house and yes I show them the correct way of starting a one player game. So I can see this happening at a show where it is hard to hear or maybe where their parents have no idea what to do either.

Yeah, sadly I think this is what it is more than anything else. Certain games, like Jurassic Park, that do some sort of animation at the start instead of just kicking out a ball often get multiple games started by impatient players, even some "in the know." We've tried signage in the past, but short of only allowing one player in a game, it's really hard to manage as often it is due to lack of understanding, not rudeness.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, sadly I think this is what it is more than anything else. Certain games, like Jurassic Park, that do some sort of animation at the start instead of just kicking out a ball often get multiple games started by impatient players, even some "in the know." We've tried signage in the past, but short of only allowing one player in a game, it's really hard to manage as often it is due to lack of understanding, not rudeness.

Id be happy to print out a small etiquette sheet to pass out to everyone next year.

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Id be happy to print out a small etiquette sheet to pass out to everyone next year.

Honestly, that's a great idea. I'm only concerned about the garbage with it, but I'm all for it

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schusler:

I ask if they want to go two player. I've meet some cool pinheads doing this

Ditto. Plus the little competitor in me want to see if I could beat them

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Honestly, that's a great idea.

Sweet, count me in for that, Im thinking Ill bring my Xmen LE next year too

edit- I will get my wife working on a prototype card asap

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Yeah, I cut the master power around 4:10 AM, kicking about 15 of you out.

Prior to me accepting the after party monitor and shut down duties a couple years ago, the party used to end around midnight.

You're welcome.

-Mark

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

Prior to me accepting the after party monitor and shut down duties a couple years ago, the party used to end around midnight.
    You're welcome.
    -Mark

Thank you. I haven't had a normal nights sleep since then.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Love this idea! Education is the key with most things.

Will it have some camping tips on the backside of the card...

#147 6 years ago

goatdan said:
    Honestly, that's a great idea.

Sweet, count me in for that, Im thinking Ill bring my Xmen LE next year too

edit- I will get my wife working on a prototype card asap
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of large posters on easels at each door and maybe hanging in the game room might get more attention and generate less garbage. Or maybe a card put under the glass on each apron?

#148 6 years ago

I like the idea of both a large poster or 2 and the cards.

#149 6 years ago

Right on Amish mafia.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

You're welcome.
    -Mark

Yeah, I'm getting a room next year for Saturday Night. The 45 minute drive at 2PM was a killer and I didn't drink so I couldn't make an ass of myself.

chris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 49.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 15.00
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside