(Topic ID: 80943)

MGC is coming, need a shop job? SE Wisc+nearby areas....

By centerflank

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown.jpeg
tumbler2.jpg
DSC00080.JPG
IMG_4499.jpg
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG
IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4491.JPG
IMG_4490.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4441.JPG
thumb.jpg
Unknown-37.jpeg
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

If anyone needs anything shopped-cleaned-fixed up before MGC comes around let me know. I realize most of us are do-it yourselfers but I have all kinds of free time. I have a light work schedule till the nice weather hits and I can get outside again painting/staining exteriors.

I just got a BSD to do the next few days so I will post a few pics of my progress to pimp myself, I did my super dirty spiderman that turned out nice, although I wish now Id have removed all the guide rails and polished them up. Im definitely no super pro at refurbishing but I can make it shine real purty!

For a real basic cleanup Id charge $xxxx which would include most supplies (rubbers-balls-Novus2+waxing-replace dead light bulbs). If solder work is needed to repair broken wires to coils probably more, any replacement plastics/ramps/posts add more $..... I can convert to all LED's as well, Im up for whatever you need. Hit me up!

Thanks!

DSC09702.JPGDSC09702.JPG

DSC09700.JPGDSC09700.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Pimpin ain't easy yo!

#3 10 years ago

Flanker does some nice work if anyone is in need of a hand preMGC. If you had seen how dirty that SM was when he got it you would be amazed.

#4 10 years ago

Where is Hulktown?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Where is Hulktown?

Mukwonago,Wi.

#6 10 years ago

Dirty Dracula!

DSC08059.JPGDSC08059.JPG

DSC08060.JPGDSC08060.JPG

DSC08061.JPGDSC08061.JPG

DSC08062.JPGDSC08062.JPG

DSC08055.JPGDSC08055.JPG

DSC08054.JPGDSC08054.JPG

#7 10 years ago

Careful how you talk! Dracula is very sensitive. I really appreciate you doing this for me and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I know it'll look way better than it does in these pictures.

Dave

#8 10 years ago

A few pics for Dave.....1st one is a sad shooter lane....the rest are after Novus 2 scrub....

DSC07996.JPGDSC07996.JPG

DSC08068.JPGDSC08068.JPG

DSC08074.JPGDSC08074.JPG

DSC08077.JPGDSC08077.JPG

DSC08082.JPGDSC08082.JPG

DSC08076.JPGDSC08076.JPG

#9 10 years ago

Looking good so far! Love how the shooter lane looks.

Dave

#10 10 years ago

PM sent!

#11 10 years ago

looking good flanker!

Amazed that the shooter lane cleaned up. Is that just from elbow grease and novus?

#12 10 years ago

That shooter cleaned up nicely!
Let's hope he wasn't rubbing something else on it to buff it clean

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looking good flanker!
Amazed that the shooter lane cleaned up. Is that just from elbow grease and novus?

Quoted from Ranhorton:

That shooter cleaned up nicely!
Let's hope he wasn't rubbing something else on it to buff it clean

I did sand it as well as all the scoop holes, going to brush on that tough as nails clear polish to seal it up.

#14 10 years ago

What do you put on after sanding?
I gently sanded my flintstones shooter when I shopped the game and added a couple coats of varithane clear. Looks great and holds up perfectly but always interested in what others use/recommend.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

What do you put on after sanding?

This is what I grabbed at Walgreens today, going to brush on 2 coats on the scoops/shooter lane, quick buff sand with high grit, then one or 2 more coats. I was planning on cutting a nice sized mylar piece to fully cover the shooter lane to go over the top of it unless Egyptrus doesnt want it on there....I think he just ordered rat/mystery hole cliffy's for me to pop in as well.

images-345.jpegimages-345.jpeg

#16 10 years ago

Come on Flank... Everyone knows that is from your personal collection.

Quoted from centerflank:

This is what I grabbed at Walgreens today, going to brush on 2 coats on the scoops/shooter lane, quick buff sand with high grit, then one or 2 more coats. I was planning on cutting a nice sized mylar piece to fully cover the shooter lane to go over the top of it unless Egyptrus doesnt want it on there....I think he just ordered rat/mystery hole cliffy's for me to pop in as well.

images-345.jpeg 3 KB

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Come on Flank... Everyone knows that is from your personal collection.

I was amazed at all the boxes of nail polish/other crap that Becky didnt have a bottle of this.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

images-345.jpeg 3 KB

Funny - I bought some of that on Saturday to go over some inserts I laid down and a bit of touch up paint.

Smells good....

#19 10 years ago

I don't know how well nail polish will hold up for a shooter lane. If I was doing a spot repair like this and wanted to use a brush on item, i'd just go with plain clear lacquer. That way if the playfield ever gets restored down the road, you know it won't react to clearcoat.

Usually you can only get it in big cans, so if you want some, just stop over and i'll give you a jar of it.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for chiming in Neo...as you do playfield restorations, would you suggest we put mylar over this area once it's done or would you leave it as is, without the mylar?

Dave

#21 10 years ago

I would just leave it. as mylar has a hard time sticking in this area. Just coat it up good. and if you use lacquer it will restore well down the road.

#22 10 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has asked this, but is sexy bonus time included in the shop job price?!!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would just leave it. as mylar has a hard time sticking in this area. Just coat it up good. and if you use lacquer it will restore well down the road.

Wrong, Ive done it before and it sticks fine.

#24 10 years ago

i'm sure it does stick fine, but how long before it cracks and chips off? How many years you been testing it?

Not saying it won't work, i'd just be worried about it working over a period of time. Plus, if that field ever gets restored, how it clearcoat going to react to that stuff? Could turn it into a nightmare. Lacquer has been tried and true for 70 years. We know how it works and what the results are.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm sure it does stick fine, but how long before it cracks and chips off? How many years you been testing it?
Not saying it won't work, i'd just be worried about it working over a period of time. Plus, if that field ever gets restored, how it clearcoat going to react to that stuff? Could turn it into a nightmare. Lacquer has been tried and true for 70 years. We know how it works and what the results are.

After the shooter lane job you did on that TAF play field I had, Id say you are definitely no expert on shooter lane repair. Go ahead and thumb down another Fact.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

I'm surprised nobody has asked this, but is sexy bonus time included in the shop job price?!!

I was actually under the impression that "shop job" was some sort of code. There's been a lot of talk about polishing up people's shooter lanes.... maybe my first impression was spot on.

#27 10 years ago

sometimes, the dirt is so deep, no amount of sanding gets it out. Plus, sometimes the wood does darken when the clear hits it. I've been doing this for 9 years. You have barely collecting a year, and now your an expert on playfield repair? :/

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

sometimes, the dirt is so deep, no amount of sanding gets it out. Plus, sometimes the wood does darken when the clear hits it. I've been doing this for 9 years. You have barely collecting a year, and now your an expert on playfield repair? :/

I highly recommend for you to go Troll another thread. Thanks!

#29 10 years ago

your the one that's trolling. I offer you some advice and free shit and you attack me for it? WTF

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

your the one that's trolling. I offer you some advice and free shit and you attack me for it? WTF

I have to agree with this...

But I also have to say I've used Hard as Nails in ball impact areas before and it wasn't an issue in my experience. The last STTNG I had there was a small area off the ball launch spiral where the paint had chipped away from where the ball was landing. Never popped off or was an issue. Have also used it on kickout holes without it chipping off, and I know other people have used it to fix the same areas where the clear has worn down but there's no or very little actual wood damage.

We don't need to have 10 years of proof... if it protects the area, and it does eventually pop off after a while, no biggie....it's easy to reapply, or to go your route if you do end up wanting something more permanent but reversible to clearcoat later.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know how well nail polish

Its not nail polish

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would just leave it. as mylar has a hard time sticking in this area

Incorrect as Ive done it multiple times

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You have barely collecting a year

Wrong again

Im sick and tired of the BS you post. Ive been applying clearcoat products on woodwork for well over 13 years.

Thanks.gifThanks.gif

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I have to agree with this...

You agree with his misinformation?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You agree with his misinformation?

I agree with the fact that you're reacting like a brat. Clearly, you're NOT that sick and tired of seeing his posts, or you'd just use the ignore function and be done with it.

#34 10 years ago

wood work is one thing. Wood with a steel ball banging on it nonstop is another. I was just offering some advice for long term. Nothing more. If your stuff works fine. But I also think about the future of the game and how it will react to a future restorer. hence why I always tell everyone never to use sharpie or testors to touch something up. Because down the road, anyone who restores it, will turn that field into a nightmare. I don't know how that stuff will react, and hence offered an alternative. Don't know what your beef is lately. I think you need to pull your manpon out.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I agree with the fact that you're reacting like a brat.

Gotcha, what exactly do you consider proper reaction? Calling someone a name like "brat"?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Don't know what your beef is lately. I think you need to pull your manpon out.

yeah, I cant really put my finger on what my beef is....

#37 10 years ago

Man you guys are getting some serious cabin fever. Thank god it is going to be in the 40's this week, go outside and get some sun, it will make you feel better. There are about 10 ways to skin this cat, and none of them are wrong, they all have pros and cons. Differing opinions are fine, no need to go at each other over opinion.

This is all Ran's fault anyways, what a stupid question Ran, what is wrong with you?

#38 10 years ago

Now now... I think we all need a little sexy bonus time now.... And a brat with Horseradish mustard & onions please!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Gotcha, what exactly do you consider proper reaction? Calling someone a name like "brat"?

Like I said..put him on ignore if you have that much of an issue with his posts. I'm not the one going through the thread thumbs-downing all his posts prior to responding, and thumbing my nose at someone that's known to generally do quality resto work offering me free stuff. All his post warranted was "I've done it before, it worked for me...haven't had any issues with it."

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

There are about 10 ways to skin this cat....

This is all Ran's fault anyways, what a stupid question Ran, what is wrong with you?

I actually do feel bad asking what Flank used now.
It was a pure curiosity question and i guess it's true that curiosity killed the cat.

Speaking of cats, I'm also worried about the cabin fever you're dealing with, Ralph.
Skinning cats is not an appropriate way to deal with winter stress.
Now, spanking the monkey...that's much healthier and less likely to get you in trouble with PETA.

#42 10 years ago

Alright guys please stop with the negative back and forth stuff. Both of you have made your points please just let it go and move on.

As for light adhesive mylar or contact paper. I highly recommend putting that stuff down for shooter lane area on new and old machines it really does a great job at protecting it from wear and build up of dirt/rubber particles. Clean the area off well before putting it down though. If applied correctly it sticks and stays down well and is pretty durable. All while being pretty unnoticeable.

#43 10 years ago

How much would you charge to change one slingshot rubber?
Would you trade me for some panty un-bunching spray?

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

How much would you charge to change one slingshot rubber?
Would you trade me for some panty un-bunching spray?

I wil clean that IM for no charge. (chuckeecheese style)

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I wil clean that IM for no charge. (chuckeecheese style)

With a dirty magic eraser?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

With a dirty magic eraser?

I dont know about that much effort, I figured some windex and a dirty abrasive rag from the kitchen.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I dont know about that much effort, I figured some windex and a dirty abrasive rag from the kitchen.

You're halfway to Chuck-E with the windex!

#48 10 years ago

HAHA! You guys got yelled at by the moderator!

#49 10 years ago

How much just to clean some old balls that smell like rum?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

How much just to clean some old balls that smell like rum?

What else have they been dipped in?

Nice&Shiny.....3coats Meguiars Gold Carnuba wax, nail hardener is nice on the scoops&shooter---smooth like glass now.

DSC08096.JPGDSC08096.JPG

DSC08091.JPGDSC08091.JPG

DSC08097.JPGDSC08097.JPG

DSC08094.JPGDSC08094.JPG

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-is-coming-need-a-shop-job-se-wiscnearby-areas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.