4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by aahgo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I'm just curious how many EM guys/gals attended the show. I loved the show because I like games of all eras, but was just a teeny bit disappointed by the low number of EM's at the show. I brought two, but I don't think there were much more than a dozen there. Didn't feel like I got my fix of classic EM's to play. Maybe it felt that way more because Tom T was unable to open his collection this year? Wondering what other people thought...

#2 4 years ago

Agree, need many more EMs. I brought Aztec (yellow bumper cap one). Gay Paree played great, backglass was tough. Missed TT's open house, that place is an EM heaven.

Now get back to work Aahgo. As will I.

Don C.

#3 4 years ago

I was an EM-centric guy there. It seemed like there was the usual number of EM games present, but I was disappointed that Bank Shot wasn't running. The show organizers wouldn't let it plug into the AC because it lacked a grounding prong on its plug.

#4 4 years ago

Gay Paree was fun, thanks to whomever brought it.

-c

#5 4 years ago

I was sad I didn't get to play the Spanish Eyes. I have one in storage because it's such a wacky game, but haven't gotten to dig into it yet, and thought it would be a good idea to play that one before I worked on mine and found out I didn't like it or something. My son did gravitate to a lot of the EMs though, and as I mentioned somewhere else he told me that we should own 4MBC instead of JP, and that when he got older, he would.

#6 4 years ago

I like all eras off games . That spanish eyes was very tempting at $350 , but I had already lined up a deal to purchase my next EM before MGC .4million bc is a cool game .

#7 4 years ago

IT WAS $350!

Perhaps even better I didn't get a chance to play it!

#8 4 years ago

I like EMs. I hope Tom will be able to have his open house next year. I think the number of EMs was down, but I think that represents a general decline in EM popularity. Last year a lot of EMs went unsold even though they had (what I thought) were good prices. The fun/sq.ft factor is better with newer games.

#9 4 years ago

4MBC was the game of choice for me at MGC. Especially since Theatre of Magic got taken out early. I must have put 40+ plays on 4MBC myself. Will definitely be looking out for one if they ever come up for sale.

Otherwise had a blast playing all the other EMs. It wasn't hard to enjoy either, since there was no waiting.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

IT WAS $350!
    Perhaps even better I didn't get a chance to play it!

It was turned off on Sunday when I was looking at it , so it may have had some issues but it seemed to be in fairly decent shape .

#11 4 years ago

I think EMs get more love than GTB System 1's

-c

#12 4 years ago

I usually bring 2-3 EM's but was unable to this year. Gay Paree played great. Spanish Eyes played slow - not much spring in the rubbers. Jungle King played pretty well.

#13 4 years ago

Is there really a decline in EM's popularity? I don't see that, prices are going up anyway.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Is there really a decline in EM's popularity?

Not where I live. If anything it is the newer DMD games that are fading fast.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Is there really a decline in EM's popularity? I don't see that, prices are going up anyway.

i don't know why anyone would want those old hunks of junk anyway... they should decline in popularity...

#16 4 years ago

It felt like there were plenty of EMs to me, because they were open for play much more often than solid state games. Even when someone was playing, there was never a line. I probably played more total games on EMs, but played more SS by machine count.

#17 4 years ago

Was the Gay Paree for sale by any chance?

If they don't allow games with ungrounded plugs, then I guess most woodrails not allowed? (or anything else kept original, pre~1967 or so?) That's good to know.

#18 4 years ago

There was a very nice Gay Paree for sale on Milwaukee craigslist a few years back. It's not a game you see very often, I wonder if it was the same one?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If they don't allow games with ungrounded plugs

If a game wasn't originally manufactured with a grounded plug, it isn't required. However, if a grounded plug is present but damaged, it must be repaired. This is a major safety concern. In the case of Bank Shot, it did have a grounded plug, but the ground prong had been removed.

Prior to opening the arcade hall on Saturday morning, we turn on all of the games and measure voltage between lockdown bars of adjacent games. This year, I found three games with issues:

Bank Shot was measuring about 30V to the two adjacent games.

One game was measuring 60 volts to adjacent lockdown bars and we found that the plug had been rewired backwards (swapped hot an neutral)

One game measured 40 volts to adjacent games and found no continuity between the ground plug and lockdown bar.

Everyone that brings games to MGC is notified of the grounded plugs requirement.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

If a game wasn't originally manufactured with a grounded plug, it isn't required. However, if a grounded plug is present but damaged, it must be repaired. This is a major safety concern. In the case of Bank Shot, it did have a grounded plug, but the ground prong had been removed.
    Prior to opening the arcade hall on Saturday morning, we turn on all of the games and measure voltage between lockdown bars of adjacent games. This year, I found three games with issues:
    One game was measuring 60 volts to adjacent lockdown bars and we found that the plug had been rewired backwards (swapped hot an neutral)
    One game measured 40 volts to adjacent games and found no continuity between the ground plug and lockdown bar.
    Everyone that brings games to MGC is notified of the grounded plugs requirement.

This is very cool. Makes sense now!
    Thanks for the extra info.

#21 4 years ago

Gay Paree was fun. I had not played it before. I don't believe it was for sale. I never saw anyone around it that I thought might have been the owner. Not generally fond of gobble holes but these were a little easier to avoid than some and draining the bonus before the other player could do it was cool.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

4MBC was the game of choice for me at MGC. Especially since Theatre of Magic got taken out early. I must have put 40+ plays on 4MBC myself. Will definitely be looking out for one if they ever come up for sale.
    Otherwise had a blast playing all the other EMs. It wasn't hard to enjoy either, since there was no waiting.

That one was for sale if you are interested. It had a hefty but fair price tag considering the quality and condition. User U2Sean is the owner if you want to reach out to him.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Good system you have in place Eric. Have to make the shows safe for everyone including kids. Keep up the good work.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

The organisers are to be commended for taking this approach Eric. In Australia the power supply is referred to as the silent killer and we can never be too careful. Replacing the cord on a machine with a three prong plug is the first thing I do. Recently I acquired a machine where the cord had been extended mid cable and covered with insulating tape. Another had the neutral link going straight to the main machine switch & the active link straight to the transformer-that is deadly stuff. You can never assume that someone at some point has done something which will challenge safety in the future. You have set a great lead.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

never really thought about this for expo. Might be worth looking into with Andrew.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

never really thought about this for expo. Might be worth looking into with Andrew.

Quick voltage check certainly couldn't hurt. I've lost count of how many Bally early SS pins I bought with grounding issues.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Quick voltage check certainly couldn't hurt. I've lost count of how many Bally early SS pins I bought with grounding issues.

I sent him a message about it.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That one was for sale if you are interested. It had a hefty but fair price tag considering the quality and condition. User U2Sean is the owner if you want to reach out to him.

Ya I reached out before the show, and got to meet him there. Great guy but said he was hanging onto it, which is fine. Gives me more time to decide (hunt craigslist) between a pin or a ball bowler to fill the basement

He seemed to like the picture I got of Gary Stern playing his machine as well.

#29 4 years ago

The Gay Paree is brought by the same guy every year. It is sorta ragged, but always plays well and is fun. I enjoyed Hula Hula and Jungle King too. Both played well and brought back memories. 4 million BC is always a treat.

We started measuring voltages between games several years ago after a kid got zapped (It scared him more than anything). It forced us to double check games every year since. Another issue that people don't seem to get is bringing games with unlocked coin doors and no backs. Kids are curious and all it takes is once!

#30 4 years ago

Glad you enjoyed Hula Hula Tully. I was happy to see it go through the entire show without issue. This is one of my favorite EM's right now. I mainly brought it because I don't think many people today have seen/played one. It is one of the few Chicago Coin games I really enjoy playing.

Thanks again for all your help at the show. It was good to see you again.

#31 4 years ago

I think next year I'll be bringing my "300"

Glad to see you guys are extra careful and do the voltage checks!

The Spanish eyes was temping, though I was a little disappointed with how slow it seemed to play. I think I'd still like to pick one up eventually for the novelty

#32 4 years ago

I got so wrapped up in all of the excitement, I missed out on a lot of games I really wanted to play. Hula Hula was one of them.. I'm kicking myself for missing the opportunity. It was right there!!!

Thanks to Tully, Chris, and Eric and the others for taking care of the games hall!

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

The Spanish eyes was temping, though I was a little disappointed with how slow it seemed to play. I think I'd still like to pick one up eventually for the novelty

I bought one for the art, sold it due to boring gameplay. Granada is much better game. Same art, different layout.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Hula Hula was one of them.. I'm kicking myself for missing the opportunity. It was right there!!!

You never know, I might bring it again next year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.50
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.99
    $ 295.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.50
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside