Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by lordloss
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HiltonCage.jpg
    video.snl.com@dbcc7ed5-96a0-333a-b920-6f8ef0521836_FULL.png
    image-937.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Banger, the LED-nosed pinguy
    had a very shiny nose.
    And if you ever saw him,
    you would even say it glows.
    All of the other pinguys
    used to laugh and call him names.
    They never let poor Banger
    join in any dollar games.
    Then one foggy Expo Eve
    Terry came to say:
    "Banger with your nose so bright,
    won't you vajazzle my sleigh tonight?"
    Then all of Pinside loved him
    as they thumbs up with glee,
    Banger the LED-nosed pinguy,
    you'll go down in history!

wow, just...wow.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Banger, the LED-nosed pinguy
    had a very shiny nose.
    And if you ever saw him,
    you would even say it glows.
    All of the other pinguys
    used to laugh and call him names.
    They never let poor Banger
    join in any dollar games.
    Then one foggy Expo Eve
    Terry came to say:
    "Banger with your nose so bright,
    won't you vajazzle my sleigh tonight?"
    Then all of Pinside loved him
    as they thumbs up with glee,
    Banger the LED-nosed pinguy,
    you'll go down in history!

Such effort. Very words. Wow.

/I had that very LED in my ear.
    //AFTER.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Such effort. Very words. Wow.

Copy & paste the lyrics, replace a few words, voilà! Took like three minutes.

#54 10 years ago

Dropping back just for a few seconds because I've had a number of people email me or contact me, so I wanted to clarify a few things in brief, it'll save me time in the end... Another novel incoming... Then to pick up the son and have a daddy / son night

1) Without going too deep into it, the weather decided to throw everything at Gary and I that it could, and since we've never had an outdoor attached vending area like that, it was seriously trial by fire. I don't know if there was anything that could have gone more wrong than how it turned out, or at least that is how we feel, and we don't know how that will effect vendor turn out for next year. We can't have it go so bad again, at least I can't imagine it (my backyard still has like 6 inches of water standing in it!!) and we knew that the first year we needed to leave the vendors with a good impression. That didn't happen.

On top of that, for the record, for every vendor booth that we sold in the temporary structure, we paid about 150% of what we made. For it to not be even okay, well, it's hard to take.

2) The city basically finally stopped screwing around with us the last week when I had someone explain who I was supposed to be talking with - before that point, I was talking with about 10 different people who were all giving me different stories, at the end it worked out, but when you literally have one person say that you need to do this, and then the next says you need to do something wholly different an hour later, and neither are returning your phone calls, it makes it hard to know what to actually do.

3) The tournament thing is actually a state law that was written extremely poorly. Now that we know, we could work around it, and most people agreed that our band-aid solution this year was a good way of handling it. Moving out of the city won't help that. We'd have to move out of the state, and that isn't an option. The larger venues in town want $200 per outlet to hook up stuff minimum, and one of them needs to carry your stuff from the door to where it is to set up. Simply won't work.

Having said that, I do not understand why Brookfield sent people to check out the pinball tournament both days, multiple times on Saturday. Really?

We also invested money with the tournaments that now doesn't make sense. I have Metallica sitting here, which is awesome, but we bought it to be our second yearly TOPS tournament at the show since with everything put together, that made about $400 last year for us (we gave away about $800 in mods though, so it was still a more than fair deal). Our hope was to run two next year and add a new machine every other year for people to enjoy. Now, I have to figure out if I can afford to keep this one.

4) Contrary to popular belief, Gary and I have actually delegated out so much stuff, it's ridiculous and amazing. I'm responsible for overarching crap - where this city and state stuff went horribly wrong - figuring out space, and directing people who are doing various stuff, and that's really about it. We've got people who handle the arcade hall (I didn't set foot in it Friday at all!), museum (ditto arcade hall), speakers (Mark!), contacting sponsors, running the tournaments, and on down the line. There are some stuff where I see opportunities in the future (I'll get to that in a bit), but the real problem is that we had so many changes at the very last minute with high level stuff, and so much stuff was completely out of our hands, and the margin for error at this point is so damn slim that it simply magnifies the problems. I don't know how to change that.

5) We have a professional team that worked on sponsorship this year for us. Because we're so damn unique, no one signed up. It really isn't as easy as walking down the street and asking a local place to get involved - we had a team on it 24/7 and it just didn't work this year.

6) The Very Important Gamer program, which was supposed to be a great ticket upgrade that Gary and I were going to really work with to do some cool stuff with the tournaments and whatnot they were getting to make it well worth their while, ended up being a disaster that we both feel horrible about. We haven't had any formal complaints against it, but we needed it to be a success because the money it brought was supposed to be a bit of a release valve for ensuring the show could invest in stuff like Doc Oct. Gary and I are still trying to figure out what to do with it as we weren't happy with the value that was there.

7) Presale tickets got screwed up this year thanks to everything else - I wasn't able to show people how to run it right, and then when I ran to get something that only I could do (bank), the system melted down and people were really angry that buying before the show, which was supposed to get them in really fast, only resulted in a longer line than cash sales.

Leaving Sunday night, in large part because of the rain, took for freaking ever and we didn't get into bed until well after 3:30am.

9) My basement, the GOAT Store (Gary's basement), and our storage area are seriously trashed and it takes forever to clean that.

10) We talked about taking in additional "paying" sponsors a few years ago and it just doesn't make sense. There is a MUCH longer story here, but let's just say our super-expensive infrastructure is also basically worthless (anyone want to pay us $5k for the tube TVs we bought in 2006-2008?) and we have the serious worry that if someone paid in a bunch of money with the possibility of making just a little, it would ruin how we run the show. Money isn't why we run the show, but if you pay in, say, $50k to potentially make $2k a year, and you're watching Gary and I drop $10k a year on an asset that is about to be worthless like another Doc Oct, well, it's not going to last well. It works for Gary and I because we started at ground zero, but it doesn't for anyone else.

So, before saying anything else, I'm not trying to whine about any of the above. It is what it is, and it sucks but we knew about it all going in. It's just that when so much stuff seemingly got dog-piled on us this year, it takes a toll. Usually, we are both gung ho while we're driving the stuff to storage, this is the first year since 2004 I can say that I really wasn't.

Here are specific things that I can say that it would be cool if we could get help with. I am not saying that these need to get done in order to have a show next year - if we get them all done, we still might not be able to pull it off - but this would go a LONG way toward helping:

1) For the show itself, we either need someone to run VIG or someone to come up with some sort of way that we can do something that brings in that sort of money that doesn't suck. As I hope everyone knows, I'm not someone to beg for money and I feel awkward taking it without having something to give back, but for the VIG, as a program it was supposed to turn about $4,000 in "slush fund" money to do something with for the show - upgrade some Doc Oct, get a new pinball machine for a tournament, buy another heater for the tent, whatever. This year, we spent probably $2,500 on the program and it netted about $3,000, and it sucked. If someone wants to take it over and come up with ideas about how to make it work, or someone else can somehow find a way to add about the same amount of money to the show's bottom line without just collecting donations or something, I'm all ears.

2) Again at the show, we need a pre-sale ticket / entrance guru. Someone who can work with Gary to ensure the system works how it should, and then can coordinate people doing check in and whatnot to get them in. We do scannable tickets, which when they work should take as long as a cash transaction to get in, but when Gary or I aren't basically the ones to run it, it becomes way slower, and then we have lines out the door for pre-sale while cash is walking in and going on their merry way. The worst first impression you can do for a pre-sale, basically.

3) We need someone to become the MGC "storage expert." We have a sizable storage area where most of the show is held. We can't spend 10 hours packing stuff back into it Sunday night. If someone can help with this, by directing or leading or whatever, that would be huge.

4) In the not too distant future, we need to really go through and clean storage. Like, item by item, figure out what is there, and organize it. Sell or trash stuff we don't need, understand what we have and inventory what we do. I have already had some people volunteer for this.

5) We have 40 amazing "boxes" for the museum for displays (they were under most tables holding the systems). They look great, but they aren't painted, which made loading them a nightmare Sunday in the rain as they are made of cheap, swellable particle board. We need to get them painted somehow.

6) The GOAT Store, which is the retro video game store that Gary and I run that underwrites the show, was moved into his basement last summer. While the space is WAY bigger than it was in mine, we have never re-inventoried everything, and doing so takes forever. It would be great to have like 10 people join us and make a day of it sometime because without the GOAT Store, the MGC wouldn't exist and it seems like lately we've been sacrificing the health of the GOAT Store for the MGC. Not cool.

7) My garage, which somehow ended up with more games then it should have after the show, could really use the same thing as storage and the GOAT Store, preferably after those are done. There is a LOT of GOAT Store / MGC stuff in there, and I have no idea what. The whole thing is basically trashed from it.

Whenever we get the shirts from the show up online, buy one or two. We're hoping to do this relatively soon, but long story short last year we underproduced shirts and basically sold out by noon on Saturday. This year, we overproduced shirts and I've got a ton left. Besides, the show could use the money, and that way I'm selling something that is tangible. They are $20, so keep an eye out and impress your friends, or something. I'll post when we make that happen.

9) I'd like an America's Most Haunted to materialize at my house because I'm writing down a wish list so why not put down something fun? Seriously, it's a really cool game. Don't buy me one though - maybe we can make the show make enough that in the future, I could afford one after it. That'd be cool. Everyone else should buy one so that there are used ones available for not an arm and a leg when that finally happens

That was a lot. Sorry again if you didn't want to read that much, but I hope that goes a long way toward clearing up a lot of the issues that happened. If you're interested in doing some of the above, email me (please, easier) or PM me if you must and we can figure stuff out. I don't plan on answering anything until at least next week Monday - unless you have an idea about how to fix the VIGs for this year, then I'm all ears because that is still hanging over our heads - but it might really go a long way toward figuring things out.

As always, thanks guys. I do agree that from an attendee side, this was the best year that we've ever had, and as I always say that is because of how many amazing people make it happen. I'm absolutely one of the cogs in it, but it is really true that without the 500+ people that make it happen, it would just be a disaster. I really, REALLY appreciate it.

Now, off for some well deserved time with the son

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Great work, Dan. You and the entire crew really outdid yourselves this year. I would drive 10X as far to attend MGC than i would for expo. Sorry to bash the other event but you just blew them out of the water this year.

They always do. MGC is my favorite pinball show of the year out of about 10 other shows I attend. So much to do and such a great setup.

#56 10 years ago

Presale tickets is a relatively easy thing from my perspective since it is all work that can be done beforehand.

Each presale ticket should be printed and put in a packet and in alphabetical order. People should be able to come in, show proof of sale (ID or credit card) and take their entire packet for the whole family and all the separate things they bought. Preprinting and organizing these packets can be done and then streamlines things to be very quick.

Preprinting and organizing also means you are not relying on the system which honestly has its own issues, the biggest being that it can only be controlled by Gary for many time sensitive and important things.

One of the tweaks I want to make for Chaos next year is to get the list of people as soon as it is sold out and then preprint all 5 entries and make up alphabetical envelopes with an instruction sheet and the 5 entries. Then people show up at their time, provide their name and get in line to play.

I also plan to use Scott's software for score entry as we need something where people can come verify their actual scores quickly to see where they stand. After having 1 player complain that we screwed up his scores and having to look through ~300 already entered paper copies just so we could verify (they were all correct), I vowed to have an improvement for next year for both those of us working the event and the players in the event.

That is at least 1 small portion that I can cover for next year to make things better.

#57 10 years ago

2) Again at the show, we need a pre-sale ticket / entrance guru. Someone who can work with Gary to ensure the system works how it should, and then can coordinate people doing check in and whatnot to get them in. We do scannable tickets, which when they work should take as long as a cash transaction to get in, but when Gary or I aren't basically the ones to run it, it becomes way slower, and then we have lines out the door for pre-sale while cash is walking in and going on their merry way. The worst first impression you can do for a pre-sale, basically.

I'd say send out actual tickets with some sort of hard to fake aspect to them. When you come to the door, rip it in half and give the person the wrist band.

#58 10 years ago

Just how much storage do you need, ever think of buying a container? Then you could just have it moved when need be. A decent sized box truck could be had for less and it can move itself. Or you could just buy a regular semi trailer and build some ramps, then when you need to move it just rent a truck for a few days.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

That was a lot.

I think it took me 2 minutes just to scroll back up to the top so I could give you a deserved thumbs up!

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Presale tickets is a relatively easy thing from my perspective since it is all work that can be done beforehand.
    Each presale ticket should be printed and put in a packet and in alphabetical order. People should be able to come in, show proof of sale (ID or credit card) and take their entire packet for the whole family and all the separate things they bought. Preprinting and organizing these packets can be done and then streamlines things to be very quick.
    Preprinting and organizing also means you are not relying on the system which honestly has its own issues, the biggest being that it can only be controlled by Gary for many time sensitive and important things.
    One of the tweaks I want to make for Chaos next year is to get the list of people as soon as it is sold out and then preprint all 5 entries and make up alphabetical envelopes with an instruction sheet and the 5 entries. Then people show up at their time, provide their name and get in line to play.
    I also plan to use Scott's software for score entry as we need something where people can come verify their actual scores quickly to see where they stand. After having 1 player complain that we screwed up his scores and having to look through ~300 already entered paper copies just so we could verify (they were all correct), I vowed to have an improvement for next year for both those of us working the event and the players in the event.
    That is at least 1 small portion that I can cover for next year to make things better.

If you need any help with the tourney stuff let me know.

#61 10 years ago

dan, your show keeps proving that they just don't make a hotel big enough that can house all the peeps that love classic gaming(video or pinball). I didn't go this year due to other commitments, but going next year. I'm more than sure there's people on this site & beyond that can help. Whether it's kickstarter or lifting heavy stuff. Don't let mother nature get you down. Hell, I'm convinced were entering the next ice age anyway.

Pinball isn't even the primary focus of MGC, and to me it blew Pinball Expo away. Prototype machines keep popping up there! I remember the crowd that gathered around WOZ and it wasn't even powered on.

You're a magician. You turn a hotel into a monster-sized arcade.

#62 10 years ago

Dan, the show was awesome and while I did have to wait a bit to get in on Saturday, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Truth be told, you're like a woman that's just had a baby. Ask her if she'd like to have another right after the baby's been born and she's likely to rip your head off. Ask her at some point in the future and she'll likely say yes. Basically, after watching my wife give birth to our first child I was stunned that she'd want to have another, yet we have 2 children. During birth, everything seems awful, but after a few months, you only remember the joy that you were left with rather than the pain that went into producing that joy.

The MGC 2014 was just born, give it a few months and you'll see the joy that came from your pain and suddenly the thought of MGC 2015 won't seem that bad.

Thanks for all you do!

Dave

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Ask her at some point in the future and she'll likely say yes. Basically, after watching my wife give birth to our first child I was stunned that she'd want to have another, yet we have 2 children. During birth, everything seems awful, but after a few months, you only remember the joy that you were left with rather than the pain that went into producing that joy.

This all makes complete sense, has anyone ever seen Egyptrus fitted cap size? Only one person in the world wears a bigger one, supposedly.

video.snl.com@dbcc7ed5-96a0-333a-b920-6f8ef0521836_FULL.pngvideo.snl.com@dbcc7ed5-96a0-333a-b920-6f8ef0521836_FULL.png

#64 10 years ago

I have been to a lot of different shows, and this was the most fun I have ever had at one. This includes the time I spent in town hanging with locals on my "business" trip during the week. Wisconsin locals know how to throw a freaking party (Saturday night). And I was amazed at the amount of whole families with their kids on Sunday.....something you don't see at most shows. That is the future of the hobby..........Thank You Dan.............and if you and your family find yourselves decompressing/relaxing near Virginia Beach this year drop me a line........I'm sure I could get some day passes for Busch Gardens for you.

#65 10 years ago

Part of the charm of the MGC is the merging of all types of gaming. However, has the show grown to the point that it would be better as two smaller shows? Has it gotten too big to effectively manage and still be fun for the organizers?

#66 10 years ago

It's been said a hundred times but the show rocked. I was there with my family for the weekend and they all loved it. So, I have the time and ability ,I'd like to help, volunteer, slave labor, whatever. I'm sure this is the last thing on your mind right now so I'll contact you in a while. Go relax, grow a beard, knit yourself a sweater while drowning in Zima.
    You deserve it.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Dan, the show was awesome and while I did have to wait a bit to get in on Saturday, it wasn't that big of a deal.
    Truth be told, you're like a woman that's just had a baby. Ask her if she'd like to have another right after the baby's been born and she's likely to rip your head off. Ask her at some point in the future and she'll likely say yes. Basically, after watching my wife give birth to our first child I was stunned that she'd want to have another, yet we have 2 children. During birth, everything seems awful, but after a few months, you only remember the joy that you were left with rather than the pain that went into producing that joy.
    The MGC 2014 was just born, give it a few months and you'll see the joy that came from your pain and suddenly the thought of MGC 2015 won't seem that bad.
    Thanks for all you do!
    Dave

Somebody needs to impregnate Dan here in about three months!

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

This all makes complete sense, has anyone ever seen Egyptrus fitted cap size? Only one person in the world wears a bigger one, supposedly.

I'm sure that guy has a bigger fitted cap than me but in real life, Bruce Bochy, the skipper of the Giants, where's an 8 1/4, which is larger than what I wear.

Fortunately for my wife, neither of our kids has my size melon.

Dave

#69 10 years ago

I think it is safe to say everyone had a good time this year at MGC.

#70 10 years ago

Which pins won the trophies? I only heard the BSD won.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Doug's sorcerer won best solid state, Ben's America's Most Haunted won best custom. Don't know the other categories.

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I'm pretty sure Lunar Shot won for EM, Sorcerer won SS, BSD won DMD, Americas Most Wanted won custom, and Joust won vid. I think that's all of them, but not 100% positive.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That BSD was beautiful. I'd like to hear more about what went into that game.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

That BSD was beautiful. I'd like to hear more about what went into that game.

owner is outta Green Bay, name is Erik. I will see if he is on pinside and see if he will join and share. I think Hellfire knows him and did the pf and cabinet work.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

owner is outta Green Bay, name is Erik. I will see if he is on pinside and see if he will join and share. I think Hellfire knows him and did the pf and cabinet work.

Please do, I'd like to make one as beautiful as that someday

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I'm pretty sure Lunar Shot won for EM, Sorcerer won SS, BSD won DMD, Americas Most Wanted won custom, and Joust won vid. I think that's all of them, but not 100% positive.

Yep, those are the wins. Congrats to all.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I will see if he is on pinside and see if he will join and share.

He's not..........I am friends with him on FB and can let him know.

#78 10 years ago

I have Erik's number and can text him if anyone wants to get in contact.

#79 10 years ago

I updated the other thread since I realized I forgot... Here's the info...

*EDIT* I KNEW I forgot something... Here's winners of the best-in-show awards from the after party. Congrats guys!

EMs: Lunar Shot
    Solid-state: Sorcerer
    DMD: Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Custom: America's Most Haunted
    Arcade: Joust

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

He spent 2 years on the game - not every day of cousre, but the head was actually my old JD head and he had the PF redone, the cabinet fade was painted by hand, cabinet was clearcoated, etc. (think Hellfire did the pf and cab)... Know he had some pretty good offers but last I heard he did not accept them. He was the one who did the Swords of Fury last year - does some nice work.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

He spent 2 years on the game - not every day of cousre, but the head was actually my old JD head and he had the PF redone, the cabinet fade was painted by hand, cabinet was clearcoated, etc. Know he had some pretty good offers but last I heard he did not accept them. He was the one who did the Swords of Fury last year - does some nice work.

The number he told me would have made me sell. Second time around would be easier, right?

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

The number he told me would have made me sell. Second time around would be easier, right?

Me too.

#83 10 years ago

you? sell a game?

i'm just playin'.

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Yeah i did the cabinet and playfield restoration on BSD yeah Erik is on pinside but dont know his username here, hes also not on acebook Ive been trying to get him to start a FB account for some time now.

I dont realy know what to say so much about the BSD restoration stuff other than heres a link to some of the cabinet and playfield restoration stuff http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-cabinet-restoration I realy didnt document too much about it on pinside compared to FB. I also helped him with some technical help as far as rigging the led effects etc. other than that Erik did the reassembly leds mods and other stuff.

#85 10 years ago

If I spent that much time on that game, I don't think I would sell it either. Plus BSD is a badass game. That game was beautiful. I refused to play it because I Wong want to play mine after playing it. . He did a lot of cool mods on the game (lit star posts to flashers, led cross in backbox, buildings had LEDs, leds in the speaker panel, probably others I am forgetting ) cabinet was mint and so was the playfield. Every time I walked by it I had to stop drooling.

#86 10 years ago

First year I attended, did not really know what to expect, as I was told this is 'video gaming' more then 'pinball' and it certainly struck me as very well balanced between the two. It was fun to see the 'subculture' of gaming vs pinball, and enjoyed walking through the vendor tent and seeing what was there.

Unfortunately I was only able to be there for six hours, which was way, way, way too little. There were things I never even got to go check out. Assuming there is a show next year, I plan to be there for a lot more of it and probably would bring a machine (several people asked why my custom games was not there, and I said I did not know what to expect). I actually spent far more time talking with people than playing games, probably 90% talking and 10% playing. I will say when I was looking to play, there seemed to always be some game open.

I thought it was a great show and a great time, and hats off to the folks behind it. I have to assume you take great pride in it, you certainly should.

As far as the weather, there is an old proverb "Men plan and God laughs" -- I'm sure at some point in the future, you will be able to look back at this and laugh too.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

He spent 2 years on the game - not every day of cousre, but the head was actually my old JD head and he had the PF redone, the cabinet fade was painted by hand, cabinet was clearcoated, etc. (think Hellfire did the pf and cab)... Know he had some pretty good offers but last I heard he did not accept them. He was the one who did the Swords of Fury last year - does some nice work.

Yeah replacing the top front poece on that JD head sucked lol yeah he only has realy been working on BSD since last spring after the MGC when he brought me the Cabinet to restore then the cabinet was so nice he sent me the PF to get done to match. i was impressed it was my first cabinet redecal project.

As far as the price goes on BSD well Erik didnt want to sell it even though i heard he got offers up into the $6k's range.

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Please do, I'd like to make one as beautiful as that someday

I'll defer to these guys below. I have his email, have been talking to him that way.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

He's not..........I am friends with him on FB and can let him know.

#89 10 years ago

Briefly, have had some people contact about some stuff so far, thanks.

If you are free, tomorrow night starting around 730pm we are going to do some work inventory-ing the GOAT Store that we also run and which underwrites the show. I know it's late notice, but if you are free, Pm me and I can get you Gary's address. Hoping to get about 6 people total.

Also, I pulled shirts from storage. I'll be listing them tomorrow. Tell your friends, I'm hoping to raise 2000 to pay for some shelves in storage and bills that came up. I will not take donations, but I will happily sell shirts

That's it for now. Thanks again for those who can help

#90 10 years ago

Ts tDan

Totally understand where you are coming from. Honestly an association should be formed to handle something like this. As an example..."The Association of Gamer Geeks" which would be an LLC or not for profit. It would absorb the financial strains as well as any legal issues that might arise. No one should be at personal financial risk for such an event. It should be built up over time with dues and possibly a kick starter campaign for funds. Added benefit could be "Gold Members" will get several hours of exclusive show access before the general public gets in. I know I would pay a premium for that. Also gives them an advantage over general walk ins....Food for thought. Any conference I've ever attended professionally is set up this way.

#91 10 years ago

I would think and easy think to do is talk with the respective 'leaders' of each sub group in the show an let them know that you need them to step up and run their portion. I think the Arcade hall is now completely handled by Kieth, Tully, Chris, and crew???

I think Jim handles the main tourney. I am now capable of handling Chaos.

Have the gaming, board game, counsel groups also taken over their aspects of the show? If not, then that sees to be a good place to start.

Once you have each of the large chunks of the show taken care of by others then you should be able to just over see.

This year obviously had many additional things that played in at the last moment but it also contained some of the biggest changes (vendor area move, arcade hall move, etc...). Assuming the big changes are now done for a few years things will get much better and smoother next year now that we know how things went well or can improve from the new layout with fine tuning.

#92 10 years ago

Here's the thing, without going way into this all...

The GOAT Store already underwrites the show and is an LLC, however the problem is that if the show loses $25k, someone still has to pay for that and it would be us. If we changed the LLC or whatever, at the end of the day someone would still be on the hook.

Along with that, I am actually not the person that handles most stuff. I mentioned it and it's true, I didn't set foot in the arcade hall Friday. I also didn't set foot in the museum hall, any basement room other than the Network Game Room, or any hotel room Friday. When you look at it like that, there is actually very little that I directly oversee. There are people that do all of that with me and Gary handling only little details. Gary and I last did everything in 2004, and the show really has been run by everyone else since then with us just handling little portions of it and overseeing. Lately, we've been stepping back even further.

Having said all that, there are definitely parts where we need help, and those are the totally un-sexy things that I mentioned before. Some people have already stepped up to potentially claim those. That's great. It's just even being a central figure in this is rather overwhelming.

Finally though, for those people that say that in three months I can figure it out, I can't. The hotels and whatnot need answers as soon as possible, and basically if we aren't all cylinders go by the end of next week, there won't be a 2015 show. Before that happens, we need to talk with the vendors and whatnot because if we have no vendors for next year's show, we have no show. Seeing how that response is, and also what we can do to improve the tent situation for next year, will really go a long way toward determining what we can do for next year - but I have basically seven days including today to make it happen.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Here's the thing, without going way into this all...
    The GOAT Store already underwrites the show and is an LLC, however the problem is that if the show loses $25k, someone still has to pay for that and it would be us. If we changed the LLC or whatever, at the end of the day someone would still be on the hook.
    Along with that, I am actually not the person that handles most stuff. I mentioned it and it's true, I didn't set foot in the arcade hall Friday. I also didn't set foot in the museum hall, any basement room other than the Network Game Room, or any hotel room Friday. When you look at it like that, there is actually very little that I directly oversee. There are people that do all of that with me and Gary handling only little details. Gary and I last did everything in 2004, and the show really has been run by everyone else since then with us just handling little portions of it and overseeing. Lately, we've been stepping back even further.
    Having said all that, there are definitely parts where we need help, and those are the totally un-sexy things that I mentioned before. Some people have already stepped up to potentially claim those. That's great. It's just even being a central figure in this is rather overwhelming.
    Finally though, for those people that say that in three months I can figure it out, I can't. The hotels and whatnot need answers as soon as possible, and basically if we aren't all cylinders go by the end of next week, there won't be a 2015 show. Before that happens, we need to talk with the vendors and whatnot because if we have no vendors for next year's show, we have no show. Seeing how that response is, and also what we can do to improve the tent situation for next year, will really go a long way toward determining what we can do for next year - but I have basically seven days including today to make it happen.

How much for a small table next year ? I was thinking about being a vendor

#94 10 years ago

Shirt post is up - http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-post-show-shirts#post-1599265

Looking to get $2,000 raised. Trying to not increase the budget next year. If we can do this or close to it in a week, I'm going to feel a lot better about a lot of stuff.

As for tables next year, use the MGC Contact Form if you haven't already. We don't have pricing because we don't know that we're doing it, but having registered interest would help. We have had at least a couple vendors say no to next year already, and although the vendors don't make us much money (we truthfully pay more for the space then they pay to be there, or at least we did this year because of the tent), it is a very important thing for our video game crowd in particular, so having 1/3rd the vendors would greatly impact walk up door sales, and would therefore greatly limit if this whole thing is viable or not.

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am now capable of handling Chaos.

HiltonCage.jpgHiltonCage.jpg

#96 10 years ago

I'm in for next year again as a vendor. With a fancier spread hopefully.

#97 10 years ago

A lesson I learned this year is that if something isn't for sale, you arn't trying hard enough.

2 weeks later
    #98 9 years ago

I never heard back on vendor pricing.

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I never heard back on vendor pricing.

Goatdan posts here. PM him.

LTG : )™

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

As for tables next year, use the MGC Contact Form if you haven't already. We don't have pricing because we don't know that we're doing it, but having registered interest would help.

This was from a post by Dan . I think at this point he can not give any sort of pricing .

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-goatdan-update/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.