9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 863 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by Jazman
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 167 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190414_124139 (resized).jpg
    20190414_004433 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8020 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8019 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7966 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7965 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0121 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0120 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190419_113734 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190419_113626 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190419_114021 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20190419_114047 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    trophy 001 (resized).JPG

There are 863 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
    #101 3 months ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

MGC Facebook screen shot
    [quoted image]

Hoping
    maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg

#102 3 months ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

MGC Facebook screen shot
    [quoted image]

Well now I guess I want free show tickets instead of the $20 show cash lol. This way I can come friday night. :p

#103 3 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hoping
    [quoted image]

Would be cool, but could it also be Black Knight Angry Sword?

edit: Hmm, looking more and more like something super exciting is going down!

#104 3 months ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Well now I guess I want free show tickets instead of the $20 show cash lol. This way I can come friday night. :p

Friday night is actually a different ticket than what game bringers get. There is a huge explanation behind this that I'll spare everyone right now, but a game brought gets Saturday, Saturday Night and Sunday, but unfortunately not Friday.

#105 3 months ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Friday night is actually a different ticket than what game bringers get. There is a huge explanation behind this that I'll spare everyone right now, but a game brought gets Saturday, Saturday Night and Sunday, but unfortunately not Friday.

Eh, the money goes to a good cause at least. I honestly can't believe people actually put all the effort required to run this type of a show. The organizers of this show kind of boggle my mind. I could hardly throw my son a birthday party.

#106 3 months ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Eh, the money goes to a good cause at least. I honestly can't believe people actually put all the effort required to run this type of a show. The organizers of this show kind of boggle my mind. I could hardly throw my son a birthday party.

Trust me, after four nights of being up until 2am or later and waking up at 7am, I don't understand what I do either.

#107 3 months ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Oh

#108 3 months ago

Hey, better to catch it now than wait until later.

Here's a bit more of the reasoning behind it:

Unfortunately a number of people were selling machines at the MGC on Friday. Now, I'd usually say that's a great thing, but here was how some people were doing it...

- Bring pinball machine
    - Register pinball machine, get weekend and Saturday night tickets
    - Game bringer meets pre-arranged purchaser, who they show the machine to (purchaser did not need a ticket)
    - Purchaser packs up machine, loads it up and takes it home

We had now given out that person's tickets for absolutely nothing on the show floor, and the purchaser didn't pay to come either, and we had to reshuffle the show floor. Thanks to people like this - and it happened more than once and the final straw was someone bragging on a Facebook group I'm part of about how if they came Friday they could get in and buy their game without it even being used for free, and it was stupid to pay - we realized we had to hire additional security and come up with a whole system beyond the "trust them if they say they are setting up a game" thing to handle this.

Ultimately, the genesis of Preview Night came from us realizing that we were going to have more expenses to properly organize this, and then thinking about what else we could do with it. In it's current form, it addresses two other issues:

The MGC focuses strongly on content - more than 100,000 square feet of the show floor is content - and the vast majority of that content is individuals, collectors, or independent groups setting is up, so the expenses to run this show are absolutely absurd, and while we do have vendors, the money that is charged for their space doesn't even make up the costs for their own space compared to what we pay to the Center.

Preview Night has allowed us to increase revenues a bit to be able to expand things more than we otherwise would have. The Game Room in particular this year will be ~63,500 feet. Two years ago, the combined space for the Arcade, Museum and Tabletop areas was about ~15,000 square feet.

It also allowed us to address the request by long time show-goers that the show had gotten too big and the lines were too long. Based on the number of tickets we sell, if people were playing four player games of pinball, 100% of the people coming to VIG would be able to play on JUST the NIB machine count that are opened and brought to the show at the same time. But, since all the video games are open, table top, D&D, arcade video, and there are special tournaments, the likelihood on Friday Preview Night that someone will be able to walk up to a new game and play is extremely high.

We can't make the same promise about Saturday or Sunday, but we wanted to create an experience for people to do that.

Preview Night ultimately allowed us to do all of this stuff, while people who bring arcade machines still get the similar (but with food, an auction, drinks, and less people!) After Party on Saturday night.

Hope that all makes sense. A lot of thought went into it, and while it isn't perfect, I think it's the best compromise we could have made!

#109 3 months ago

Totally makes sense and is 100% reasonable!

Quoted from goatdan:

Unfortunately a number of people were selling machines at the MGC on Friday. Now, I'd usually say that's a great thing, but here was how some people were doing it...
    - Bring pinball machine
    - Game bringer meets pre-arranged purchaser, who they show the machine to (purchaser did not need a ticket)
    We had now given out that person's tickets for absolutely nothing on the show floor, and the purchaser didn't pay to come either, and we had to reshuffle the show floor. Thanks to people like this - and it happened more than once and the final straw was someone bragging on a Facebook group I'm part of about how if they came Friday they could get in and buy their game without it even being used for free, and it was stupid to pay - we realized we had to hire additional security and come up with a whole system beyond the "trust them if they say they are setting up a game" thing to handle this.
    Ultimately, the genesis of Preview Night came from us realizing that we were going to have more expenses to properly organize this, and then thinking about what else we could do with it. In it's current form, it addresses two other issues:
    The MGC focuses strongly on content - more than 100,000 square feet of the show floor is content - and the vast majority of that content is individuals, collectors, or independent groups setting is up, so the expenses to run this show are absolutely absurd, and while we do have vendors, the money that is charged for their space doesn't even make up the costs for their own space compared to what we pay to the Center.
    Preview Night has allowed us to increase revenues a bit to be able to expand things more than we otherwise would have. The Game Room in particular this year will be ~63,500 feet. Two years ago, the combined space for the Arcade, Museum and Tabletop areas was about ~15,000 square feet.
    It also allowed us to address the request by long time show-goers that the show had gotten too big and the lines were too long. Based on the number of tickets we sell, if people were playing four player games of pinball, 100% of the people coming to VIG would be able to play on JUST the NIB machine count that are opened and brought to the show at the same time. But, since all the video games are open, table top, D&D, arcade video, and there are special tournaments, the likelihood on Friday Preview Night that someone will be able to walk up to a new game and play is extremely high.
    We can't make the same promise about Saturday or Sunday, but we wanted to create an experience for people to do that.
    Preview Night ultimately allowed us to do all of this stuff, while people who bring arcade machines still get the similar (but with food, an auction, drinks, and less people!) After Party on Saturday night.
    Hope that all makes sense. A lot of thought went into it, and while it isn't perfect, I think it's the best compromise we could have made!

#110 3 months ago

Looks like this is shaping up to be an amazing year!

#111 3 months ago

Hey Dan, will there be food available on Friday night or is it just the vending machines?

#112 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crashnburn:

Hey Dan, will there be food available on Friday night or is it just the vending machines?

My suggestion is to come a bit early and visit a restaurant nearby. The Center won't open food unless we guarantee them an insane minimum, which would never be made, so vending machines is where it's at otherwise.

The GOOD news on vending machines is the first floor has a new thing where the always-closed Coffee shop was (the minimums for the coffee shop were iNsAnE!), and it's much nicer than anything like that they had, with fresh salads, subs, and stuff like that.

#113 3 months ago

Will be there friday night now too. Looking forward to the 7pm mystery fun.

#114 3 months ago

So is Marco going to have any BK Sword of Rage pins for sale and delivery at the show this year? Kind of like the Imdn deal last year? Or is it too short notice, as I don’t remember when Imdn was revealed in relation to the show dates last year...

#115 3 months ago
    Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

So is Marco going to have any BK Sword of Rage pins for sale and delivery at the show this year? Kind of like the Imdn deal last year? Or is it too short notice, as I don’t remember when Imdn was revealed in relation to the show dates last year...

I know most of the games at MGC last year had a build date of the day before; but I haven't heard/seen any word on BK3 for this year.

#116 3 months ago
    Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

So is Marco going to have any BK Sword of Rage pins for sale and delivery at the show this year?

I'm still learning most of what is going on, thus nothing on Facebook from us about this yet... but from what I am told, if you called Marco right now, you should be able to reserve one. I'm still learning trim levels and whatnot.

#117 3 months ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

- Bring pinball machine

hopefully you block that person from coming again. I know that I sold games in the past, but always either sold them in the parking lot, so they were never entered, or told the person they had to stay till sunday.

This year, all that bought have been told they can not take them till Sunday at 5pm.

#118 3 months ago

Is there an UN-rain dance we can do to stop snow?

#119 3 months ago

I edited the topic to show some more information.

#120 3 months ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'm still learning most of what is going on, thus nothing on Facebook from us about this yet... but from what I am told, if you called Marco right now, you should be able to reserve one. I'm still learning trim levels and whatnot.

Called Marco. Pro's only to buy through them for the show. No Premiums to buy. Prototype Premiums will be at the show.

#121 3 months ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

hopefully you block that person from coming again. I know that I sold games in the past, but always either sold them in the parking lot, so they were never entered, or told the person they had to stay till sunday.
    This year, all that bought have been told they can not take them till Sunday at 5pm.

Yeah, zero issues with that Troy. That's how it should have gone.

I didn't ban them, but I told them (sadly, more than one, and nicely, through Facebook) that if they did that again it would be considered trespassing.

We had to change a ton of stuff with the show for stupid edge cases like this... . Most people are cool.

#122 3 months ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, zero issues with that Troy. That's how it should have gone.
    I didn't ban them, but I told them (sadly, more than one, and nicely, through Facebook) that if they did that again it would be considered trespassing.
    We had to change a ton of stuff with the show for stupid edge cases like this... . Most people are cool.

I remember the guy who bought two games about 6 years ago and shut them down for the weekend because he wouldn't know how to fix them if they broke. Both games I wanted to try for the first time. I think you have a good system in place now. It is best for the show if games stay for the weekend.

#123 3 months ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Is there an UN-rain dance we can do to stop snow?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dance

#124 88 days ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I remember the guy who bought two games about 6 years ago and shut them down for the weekend because he wouldn't know how to fix them if they broke. Both games I wanted to try for the first time. I think you have a good system in place now. It is best for the show if games stay for the weekend.

Yup! One year, we had a vendor who brought four games to the show to have in his booth, and someone walked in and bought them all at about 10:30 and demanded that they be turned off throughout the weekend. Wanted them removed too, and the vendor told him no way, if they did he would have no display. Some people are weird when it comes to stuff like that. We've had a LOT less of that as the years have gone by.

In our earlier shows, I had so many people ask me why we put the video games with the pinball machines, and suggest we run it as two separate shows. Now people see to get it.

And that strategy is finally starting to really pay off! Spent most of the afternoon speaking with a Jersey company about potential show sponsorship packages.

#125 88 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yup! One year, we had a vendor who brought four games to the show to have in his booth, and someone walked in and bought them all at about 10:30 and demanded that they be turned off throughout the weekend. Wanted them removed too, and the vendor told him no way, if they did he would have no display. Some people are weird when it comes to stuff like that. We've had a LOT less of that as the years have gone by.
    In our earlier shows, I had so many people ask me why we put the video games with the pinball machines, and suggest we run it as two separate shows. Now people see to get it.
    And that strategy is finally starting to really pay off! Spent most of the afternoon speaking with a Jersey company about potential show sponsorship packages.

I get why you want games to stay, but the buyer should be under no obligation to leave his/her games at a show. If the vendor refused to let them take the games then the vendor should have refused to take the money. The vendor essentially stole those games for 3 days.

#126 88 days ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

I get why you want games to stay, but the buyer should be under no obligation to leave his/her games at a show. If the vendor refused to let them take the games then the vendor should have refused to take the money. The vendor essentially stole those games for 3 days.

no, the vendor negotiated as part of the sale that the games must stay on and be playable.

I respect and buy from vendors like that.

Pretty much every show is going to have rules around game removal and that is clearly a good thing.

#127 88 days ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

If I'm a vendor, I want stuff in my booth. If someone showed up and offered me money for them all, and I told them you couldn't get them until Sunday because otherwise I have no display, that isn't "stealing", it's them doing business.

Is Marco "stealing" from Stern customers because they put their games up on display?

In both of the above cases, the buyers approved of it. Otherwise, Vendor A would NOT have sold the games because having a booth was more important to him than selling the machines, and Marco wouldn't have a booth if people just grabbed their stuff.

If it's not a condition of sale, sure, take them.

I would hate to be a person who sells machines and wants to show the work I do with an empty booth and no games to show my work on. Really hard to show them what you're doing.

#128 88 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty much every show is going to have rules around game removal and that is clearly a good thing.

Most do, and it is a good thing. I also try to keep the MGC as loose as possible with it, because I do get that sometimes, someone shows up on Friday night and cannot get back on Sunday, so I want to give people options, otherwise we DO actually stand in the way of sales, and that isn't fair.

But, for us, what we have really tried to do here is to make it so we give early sales additional benefits.

You sell your game and have it removed Saturday at 11am? Cool! You don't get to keep your After Party Pass or your Sunday admission, because the game has left and having it there was the condition of that. Additionally, instead of me eating multiple hundreds of dollars of dock fees, we pass that to you, the buyer, when you pick up the machine based on the time you get it (aka, during show hours when we wouldn't otherwise have the dock open!)

This incentivizes everyone to keep things as long as possible, but gives everyone a fair way to remove things if the need really arises. If I have systems in place that doesn't negatively impact the show itself - in the way of revenue and whatnot for us - and that simply passes that cost on, I do feel like that is fair. But especially now, subsidizing people to take games off the floor doesn't make sense. Quite frankly, I think the system is ultra fair as the "cost" of removing the game is enough to make someone think twice, but not enough to stop them from doing it if they have to.

Before, there were multiple incentives to remove early. That really isn't fair. I'm comfortable with the decision.

If it makes someone not come to the show, I'll have to live with that decision. If enough people opt not to come or bring games, we'll have to deal with the fall out. But, quite frankly, it's easier in many ways to deal with having less machines and them not leaving then it is to deal with more machines but having 25% check out early.

Having said all this, please note that I don't mean with extenuating circumstances like last year. That was a whole show decision however.

#129 88 days ago

There is a reason MGC continues to grow, multiple manufacturers are launching games at the show, and it is steadily become a can't miss show for so many people!

You are doing great things Dan(and everyone that makes it all happen)

I can hardly wait! xmas is almost here!

#130 88 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

no, the vendor negotiated as part of the sale that the games must stay on and be playable.
    I respect and buy from vendors like that.

That's not how it was presented. the post said he sold them, then said no way you can't have them. If its agreed to that's fine. That's not what was implied.
    I get that the vendor wants to have things to show off. but at the same time if the buyer wants to take something home, the vendor needs to decide do I want the stuff here, or do I want the cash?
    All the "non-machine" vendors give you your stuff, art, shirts etc. if someone came in and wanted the whole table would the vendor be right to say sorry its gotta stay here since I'll have nothing to show?
    Dan runs a great show, I've had games there in the past and will in the future, but its just wrong for a buyer to be forced to leave a game on the floor is they don't want to. As soon as that game changes hands the seller (vendor or private) should lose any privileges that came with the game. If the buyer wants to take the game, they do not get those privileges, they go back to the show.

#131 88 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'm surprised no one called me on this. It's true. Jersey Mike's is going to be a show sponsor.

#132 88 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I'm surprised no one called me on this. It's true. Jersey Mike's is going to be a show sponsor.

What is Jersey Mike’s?

#133 88 days ago
    download (resized).png
    #134 88 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

What is Jersey Mike’s?

Amazing subs. They've done the show as an outside vendor with us for like seven years, and they are totally stepping up their involvement this year! Might even be revealing a new product for MGC showgoers (like...a club sub which they haven't taken before!)

The Midwest Gaming Classic, presented by Jersey... . Has a nice ring to it!

#135 88 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Amazing subs. They've done the show as an outside vendor with us for like seven years, and they are totally stepping up their involvement this year! Might even be revealing a new product for MGC showgoers (like...a club sub which they haven't taken before!)
    The Midwest Gaming Classic, presented by Jersey... . Has a nice ring to it!

Now I’m hungry for a sub.

#136 88 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Now I’m hungry for a sub.

No joke, they're the best. My sign guy who found out about this almost right away said the smell of Jersey Mike's to him is the smell of mgc.

#137 88 days ago

Stern Pinball - A lot of people asking for Black Knight... first public viewing... MGC, Milwaukee Wisconsin!!

#138 88 days ago

I'll have to check the list if anybody is bringing an original Black Knight. Zero chance in hell I'd be selling it, but if I'm already bringing a trailer I might just throw a third game into the mix to have out for play.

#139 88 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Stern Pinball - A lot of people asking for Black Knight... first public viewing... MGC, Milwaukee Wisconsin!!

Iron Maiden had a great showing there last year , I’m hoping Black Knight will be at MGC in full force this year . Looking forward to playing it , looks pretty cool .

#140 86 days ago

Someone mentioned our power grid that we build every year.

Here is a quarter mile of cord we made new this year for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_20190330_171705_348 (resized).jpg

#141 86 days ago

Archived after 32 days
    Sold (amount unknown)
    Contributed to Pinside
    Machine - For Sale
    As is “$3850 cash and carry this week only. This is a solid STTNG with good bones! Boards are clean and hack free (I just installed new header pins in J120 and J121 and new connectors ...”
    2019-03-30
    Madison, WI
    3,850 (OBO)

STTNG for sale/trade. COuld bring to MGC for parking lot deal

#142 83 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

[quoted image]

OH YEAH!! Come to papa!

#143 83 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

[quoted image]

I love me some HUGE SO cord. If I come this year, will you let me touch it?

#144 83 days ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I love me some HUGE SO cord. If I come this year, will you let me touch it?

You're a sick, sick, very sick, old man!

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#145 83 days ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

[quoted image]

Should have put some of that in the frunk to balance the weight.

#146 83 days ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

You're a sick, sick, very sick, old man!
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

It appears the good doctor has chosen me to be his navigator this year instead of his wife. I think he's looking for muscle.

#147 83 days ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It appears the good doctor has chosen me to be his navigator this year instead of his wife. I think he's looking for muscle.

haha, that must be because I bought a machine from him yesterday. I get the Bryan touch on my game!!

#148 83 days ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Should have put some of that in the frunk to balance the weight.

A man’s frunk is his own business.

#149 83 days ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

OH YEAH!! Come to papa!

You're just weird...

#150 83 days ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

haha, that must be because I bought a machine from him yesterday. I get the Bryan touch on my game!!

He sent me a text last night and said he has bad news and good news about the hotel room. He said it only has a king size bed. I said, what's the bad news?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 137.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 863 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside