Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 413 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jonogo
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11121778_810866758993303_2674784941397998607_n.jpg
    dunk-tank-14.jpg
    image-184.jpg
    image-491.jpg
    image-684.jpg
    image-216.jpg
    image-676.jpg
    image-836.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-190.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMAG0962.jpg
    IMAG0964.jpg
    IMAG0961.jpg
    keep-calm-and-knock-on-wood-1.png
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eemanjaymes:

MGC : a place to make new friends,meet old friends, and just play pinball and arcade games for 3 days

I could not have said it better Ian!

#15 9 years ago

Room booked and glad Chaos did not get axed by the state!
    Gonna be another great year!!!

Likely bringing some of my more rare games to share. Maybe RoboWar and Night moves?

#20 9 years ago

Anyone in the clockchaos crew that will be in again for this year, please contact me offline.

Just need to know whom is "IN" again.

3 weeks later
    #26 9 years ago

looking forward to MGC already!

2 months later
    #44 9 years ago

Agreed. Saturday Evening game bringer party is one of the bet pinball experiences ever. It was made even better last year since they had security to make sure it is really a special thing for game bringers! So much fun!

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

thats what I though and kinda sucks or I need to rent a vehicle to move 2.

Yeah, 1 writband per game has been the standard in the past.

#91 9 years ago

Socerer!

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Sorcerer was at MGC last year….I remember waxing it the thursday night before the event.
    Wasn't it in Clock Chaos Hilton?

Yup Trilogy beautiful one!

I still like Sorcerer more than TOM.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Would recommend new balls before & after the show, too.

+1 to that. Sounds like I may need some new balls after flanker gets done gently caressing mine.

#100 9 years ago

There is traditionally a "what are you bringing to MGC" thread where people track to avoid duplicates where possible.

Dantebean kind of started one as a WTB/FS thread but I can't find it right now.

I have a pretty nice SG you can come check out at my house sometime if you want.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Some pins should be brought in duplicate. Only one TAF, one TOM, one Simpsons PBP, and maybe 1 spiderman. Was always a line at TAF and TOM.

so you are bringing your TAF to share then?

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

I see this comment a lot and do not understand why this is always suggested. Your pin at the show may get 400-500 plays over the 2 day show. Inspect and replace scratched, deflated, indented or balls with issues - sure. But no need to replace balls every 500ish plays.

1000 plays is typical for a solid and liked game at MGC over the weekend.

I replace balls about every 1k plays.

#117 9 years ago

Purchased my VIG tickets before they sell out. Appears there are pretty limited chaos spots left already.

1 week later
    #127 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

WOO HOO!!! MGC bump! 5 days closer since the last bump. SCS Saturday, Wauna tourney around the corner and MGC to bring it all home! What a great time of the year for WI pinball! (and gaming)

hey... don't forget WWE launch party!

First official launch with release of a new game in over a decade in WI!

1 week later
    #140 9 years ago

YES!

tabletop was all over the place last year. TONS of tabeltop and all sorts of new friends and fun nerding out from what I could see. I have some tabletop only friends and they said it was great last year.

1 month later
    #179 8 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

And all this time I thought you slept in the arcade hall under a game...

He does. Just has to keep the public image up by acting like he has a room.

In reality, the Godfather does not sleep from now till next Monday!

#183 8 years ago

Great idea!

NVRAM

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisS:

WOW.
    I may have to start pulling boards. Nice offer Rob.
    When do you arrive?

He is there

Probably busy unloading his stuff right now

#226 8 years ago

Cosplay star of the event

#231 8 years ago

IMHO, this was by far the BEST MGC ever. Warning > long somewhat rambling post due to sleep deprivation from amazing weekend.

Unofficial (i.e. I just walked around and counted them all) game count was well over 300 (I think I heard 350 total pins, vids, arcades in the building?!!). The pin selection was by far the best quality, most variety, and biggest amount yet; well over 200 very good playing pins.

A sincere and huge THANKS to all that brought games. There are too many to list but many I really enjoyed. Fathom, Spectrum, 4milBC, Twister, Barracora, BoP2.0 (too loud for me to play but it looked cool) and many more that I finally got some more extensive time on. I also managed to GC a few games which was nice!

Hobbit was a packed line all weekend, but I finally got a few games on it at the very end and was quite impressed. I wish the nudge back lane had not been removed post expo as I love nudge back lanes, but the game played very well and they are doing some great things with the immersive nature of the game. This Hobbit is the newest yet and even a more recent build than what was at the MI show this weekend. I had a good ball where I did a bunch and noticed the music got more intense with layered scores and the lights really drew you in. I had no idea what I was shooting for and the game is obviously still pre-produciton, but it was very cool and fun to play at this stage so I am looking forward to seeing/playing when it is done.

AMH was playing better than ever. Code just keeps getting more refined and it is nice to see that Ben is putting more and more thought into the small nuances that really make the game special. I have to say, I REALLY hope Spooky can get Ben fully involved in #2 programming. Just talking to Ben it is obvious that he thinks more like a pinballer now (He is one of us now!)

Overall the show was WOW!!!! Best show to date and best show I have ever been to. I am hoping some of the competition laws in WI change soon (and I think they are on the verge largely thanks to MGC) as it will mean better things for MGC. I also would like to see some sort of half day Friday thing, but it understandably will be difficult since some games/people can load in early while others will not be able to make it till late on Friday. Maybe we can find a way to help out and coordinate so half the hall gets filled by 4pm on Friday and then open ONLY that half from 5pm-11pm on Friday? I am not sure what can be done but would like to see the show expand just slightly into another day. We already had golf and chaos on Friday night so we are tippy toeing in that direction.

Afterparty was great and I enjoyed the opportunity to play games with the owners. Only other feedback is i think next year we need more game categories for awards. We have so many amazing games that I think it is only appropriate to provide more chances for those of us that really put lots of time into our games to compete with each other. Things like "best modded DMD", "best stock DMD", "best gottlieb" "rare gem of the show". Since MGC is all about what WE can do to make it better I am going to recover for a week (and let Dan recover for a week) before I contact the guys and see what I can do to get involved and make an improvement in this area.

MGC really is the BEST show ever! It is the best show because of one reason, THE PEOPLE! This show more than any other I have personally seen, is the most welcoming with open arms for a good time and to make new friends. It is really hard to describe what is the magic sauce that MGC seemed to find, but LTG has definitely said at other times that the whole cosplay, boardgame, vid game, counsel gamers combined with the pinballers are what make the show amazing (likely what replayFX is trying bottle this year with the combination of pinburgh?). As simply as I can say it, MGC is ELECTRIC in energy! 10,000+ nerds in a weekend of pure bliss of nerding out with other nerds. There is something really fantastic about seeing so many people immersed in so many different passions and hobbies that bring joy to their lives. There is little judgement of anyone and instead acceptance >> it creates this freeness where people then to let down their guard and invite you in to their world. You get to see inside their 'nerd' and maybe add a new hobby to your 'nerd' collection of interests. I know I definitely saw some new pinheads in training due to MGC. I am exhaust but already looking forward to next year!

#252 8 years ago
    Quoted from icust298:

Dan mentioned there might've been a $60k game ruined on Saturday that there were only 2 made of. Anyone know what that game was and if it's going to make it back to life?

I want it to be clear that this did NOT happen in the arcade hall nor did it happen at the afterparty. It happened in one of the gaming rooms somewhere in the hotel.

#253 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

My wife and I are both big LOTR fans and we liked The Hobbit so much that we ended up purchasing one at the show.

That is GREAT!

I hope you purchased directly from Chris/KinPin as he is our local WI distributor and has GREAT customer service plus obviously does LOTS to support WI area pinball.

We can talk more offline about this when I hopefully see you at Schwoegs next Sat for the tourney.

#254 8 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I have zero idea about the main show, but the attendance at the afterparty Saturday night seemed a LOT busier than the previous year.

I think it was mainly due to way more games = way more afterparty attendance?

I found that the afterparty aired out REALLY quickly. By midnight I could play almost any game with no wait. by 3AM I could play everything as much as I wanted.

#266 8 years ago

For constructive idea that I think needs the most work and could add the most benefit to the show...

I would like to see a major overhaul of the MGC website. I know it was very hard for people to have the info they needed or to find it when they needed it.

Is anyone good at web design that could take on the task and volunteer their time in the next 6-8 months to give the website a rework and make it more user friendly and better organized? I am sure Dan and Gary would welcome any and all to reach out to them if you are able.

#312 8 years ago

Street Fighter looked amazing, es considering where that turd started!

Nice job!

#318 8 years ago

One thing I would like to see for improvement is a new rule about not removing games from the hall until ? on Sunday at earliest.

Maybe something as simple as "removing a game before 8pm on Sat means no after party pass"
    "removing a game before 3pm on Sunday means no show cash"

I am not sure how this could be implemented, but this is the first year I have seen a decent contingent of people that brought games, set them up on friday, and they were loaded and off the floor by noon on Saturday (even though the person was still at the show on Sunday). Granted there were so many games this year that holes were backfilled quickly, but still seems like a lot of added effort on the setup/breakdown crew when people are taking games off the floor early on Sat but then I still see them at the afterparty jammin on my machines at 2am.

#343 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

FYI, there are shows that *do* prevent you from pulling a game or penalize the seller if they do (ie: fees, etc). We do not and hope to be able to continue that policy inevitably. The only new policy we implemented this year was that a game could not be pulled prior to 11am on Saturday (or pay a $100 removal fee). The reasons for that were explained in the email I sent out before the show.
    Jaz

Would be great to see this expanded a little each year. Maybe 2pm on Saturday next year.

Small changes are more acceptable to many. I was just dissapointed in the handful of buyers I saw immediately removing their game at 11:01 on Saturday but then they were still there plating on Sunday at 4pm. A little incentive to help them keep the game there would be good. Just taking back show cash alone would help. Dissapointing to me when I saw people cashing in their show cash but their game was long gone from the floor by mid-day Sat.

#351 8 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

personally, I'm not looking to pull a game a brought early. but if I'm told I can't, chances are I just won't bring one at all. I don't need the headache if something comes up and I have to go, or for some reason I just choose to go.

I am suggesting you can still pull it, but you should not be getting a free sat/sun show pass, afterparty ticket, or show cash if you do.

I also like the idea of the fine if pulling super early.

I like the openness of the event but also would like to see us come up with a way to incentivize games staying on and playable for the vast duration of the show.

#356 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I agree with the revocation of show cash/after party/weekend passes but actually fining people that bring games for pulling games early is going too far imo... Stuff can come up including family emergencies and I don't think anyone should ever be punished for bringing a game.

Yeah, I think the fine would be more for the new owner that opts to yank the game. We known the arcade hall crew is a good group of guys and they ofcourse are humans that always understand when life stuff comes up.

#375 8 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Really?! So say I bring a game in Friday. Get it set up and let it be used for a tourney. Then Saturday the game is in use the entire day. A guy from a hundred miles away likes my game and buys it. He's there at the show for that day only. At 8pm, he packs up the game and takes it away. Now what... you charge me $30 for Saturday.... confiscate my after party band and confiscate my Sunday band. Crazy. That would be the last game I ever brought to the show.

In this example of selling your game and the buyer removes at 8pm on Sat, I assume you have given the buyer the ticket for the game since it is no longer yours?

I would suggest punching his (now) show cash ticket since the game did not stay till Sunday at X (3pm?) He/you should not get any show cash or a sunday braclet since it is no longer helping the show.

Since the game stayed till 8pm, I think you are still somewhat entitled to the afterparty, but I don't think you should get show cash or a Sunday braclet. It is no longer your game as of 8pm sat so a sunday wristband should not be your perk anymore. I also don't get to play your game at the Saturday afterparty but you still get to play mine which does not seem fair to me personally. Kind of stinks if it was a game I wanted to play and based on the quality of your games, I likely wanted to play it.

My constructive idea to simplify the process but add more incentive to bring a game and keep it there for the duration would be something like:

1. For each game you bring you get 1 card worth $40 potential show cash.
    No more free entry wristband option. Your 1 game also gets you 1 after party wristband.

2. If you sell the game your card must immediately transfer to the new owner, so they have the option to remove it when they want.

3. If the game is removed before After Party starts on Saturday, it costs 1 after party wristband to be returned and the show cash card is punched to void it.

4. If the game is removed before noon on Sunday then you only get $20 show cash.

5. If the game stays till 3pm+ on Sunday then you can redeem for $40 show cash.

To me this is a fair alternative since it incentivizes the vendors to stay later since they will get more show cash/sales, incentivizes game owners to keep games on the floor longer, means more games for paying customers to play for longer, and means more money being spent at the vendor booths by way of show cash. I see this as a big win all the way around.

If a new owner buys a game and wants it removed then they are sacraficing the show cash and that is there option. If you as a seller opt to sell a game before the afterparty then it means you are handing over your ticket and afterparty wristband, and if the buyer removes the game prior to after party then they dont get to attend either since that is the cost of removal.

This would be one of the easier things to implement as we just need a more clear point person to check out all games that leave the floor, ensure games ONLY leave through 1 door, and make sure security knows that games only come out that door.

#377 8 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, and what it may be is next year you get your after party ticket at 8pm by presenting your card.

I LOVE this idea!

#380 8 years ago

I like how you are always open to new ideas and the show gets small tweaks each year that make it better and better!

#384 8 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Ideally if someone buys a game, the after party pass transfers over.

Yup, I puchased a game and arranged for it to be dropped off early (so Rob coudl fix a few issues). The previous owner gave me the afterparty pass because it was the right thing to do.

#393 8 years ago

I was there and it was still 100+ when power got yanked.

There were 10 in my one side of the row alone while I was breaking down and we all helped each other.

#398 8 years ago
    Quoted from gannon:

Had a great time as usual at MGC this year. Glad I remembered to book my room early.
    The game room was a little lighter on running games Friday night than I was hoping for, but overall had a good time.

um... you do realize that the game room was not open on Friday night unless you were VIG and even then it was supposed to be only chaos and golf.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mgc-2015-april-11th-and-12th?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.