New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 265323)

Mezel Mods Making Face Shields in Response to Supply Shortage

By FatPanda

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

a05_jd_27mar_aqshields2-900x601 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

https://www.abqjournal.com/1437132/from-pinballs-to-protective-face-shields-ex-rio-rancho-company-uses-its-3d-printers-to-make-health-care-gear.html?fbclid=IwAR3KVmLK9JBPmA8r-gi2qIjj6Vn23fkTM-C2035-7rFezJt5nFaXzzCE_U4

Originally shared by Knapp Arcade on FB:

The garage-style office of Mezel Mods in Rio Rancho is filled with pinball machines.

The company specializes in making accessories for pinball machines with 3D printers, but on Thursday afternoon, Mezel Mods started a new kind of production.

The company began using its printers to produce face shields for health care workers who are on the front lines of the COVID-19 battle. Owners Kristin Browning-Mezel and Tim Mezel have teamed with Andrew Woodward, the owner of Process Art Studio in Madrid, New Mexico, to make the shields that protect health care workers from contracting the virus.

“When this whole thing started, the outbreak,” Browning-Mezel said, “I said, ‘Is there a way to be helpful that we can make a difference?’ ”

The companies have already received their first orders for about 1,000 shields from La Familia, which serves more than 18,000 low-income and homeless patients in Santa Fe, and two other agencies in the Farmington area that offer in-home health care. Browning-Mezel said they have also reached out to Albuquerque Healthcare for the Homeless.

Small businesses across the country with 3D printers have stepped up to help make crucial gear that is in short supply, Browning-Mezel said.

“The large manufacturers were not jumping in immediately,” she said. “So the maker community started getting involved.”

During a media briefing on Tuesday, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham discussed the shortage of personal protection equipment (called PPE), including masks, shields, gowns and gloves, that helps prevent health care workers from contracting COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. The governor said those materials should go to those on the front lines of the pandemic battle. The New Mexico Department of Health on Tuesday issued an order requiring wholesalers to get state approval before selling their available equipment to make sure the materials are going to health care workers.

Browning-Mezel said that because of the urgent need for the shields, they’ve had to cobble together their production and hustle to find the materials, which are also in great demand. It’s taken a collaboration of several local businesses to provide everything needed to make the shields.

Browning-Mezel said they are currently making shields for organizations that do not necessarily have the ability to pay. The community can make a donation to offset the costs. A donation of $10 will pay for one mask. Browning-Mezel said she has already received a $1,000 donation.

Mezel Mods is committing half of its operation to make the shields while still making products for its regular business. She said that might change if the demand becomes greater.

“We are trying to respond to where the need is,” she said. “The people we are helping now were unable to get the supplies at all. We also need more 3D printers and are putting out a call to action.”

a05_jd_27mar_aqshields2-900x601 (resized).jpg
    #2 6 months ago

Nice......Where did you get the STL files from I have two printers sitting idle right now. Doing a remodel but after that who knows.

#3 6 months ago

Big Thank You to Mezel from me as my wife is a nurse in a ICU unit. She tells me everyday how badly they need these type of things!

#4 6 months ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Nice......Where did you get the STL files from I have two printers sitting idle right now. Doing a remodel but after that who knows.

There's at least one on Thingiverse and one elsewhere called "open source mask" which has downloadable .STLs

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Thought I would tag tmezel in case they didn't see this.

#6 6 months ago

Mezel mods save lives!!

#7 6 months ago

Finally a mod I can get behind!

Nice work!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 132.00
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 63.29
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 499.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 110.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinwize.com
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside