Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bert-ernie-cookie-galz.jpg
    image.gif
    IMG_20151129_142307.jpg
    4LEyfZG.jpg
    PEZ.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Now you're just being funny. You know we have a 19 trillion dollar debt, right? That the numbers you're throwing out are a spit in the ocean compared to money we've spent on...what, exactly? And the $750 million we'd spend on maintaining a wall is nothing compared to what we're spending on government benefits for all the illegals right now, so we'd actually save money.
    That said, I'm neither for nor against building a wall, and refuse to discuss politics on Pinside.

Cmon, man, don't take a side if you're going to cowardly backpedal as soon as you're confronted. At least teekee has a spine.

Quoted from ejg10532626:

Exactly!
    Of course--it all makes sense, pinball is the biggest problem facing Mexico.
    Not: Government corruption, drugs, drugs, drugs, government corruption, poor employment, and drugs!

These things they are banning aren't pinball machines, they're flipperless gambling devices.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Butthurt again Pezpunk?

Referring to people as "orientals" is pretty messed up (which is what the cultural insensitivity comment was in reference to).

You're going a bit off the rails in here though, may want to slow your roll a bit. Friendly advice.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, you seriously need to get a life. There is nothing wrong with this country and people have been referred to as Orientals for hundreds of years. You need to get back in touch with Reality. Your state Governor has no control because everyone wants Conservatives in the government because of this PC crap.
    Oh and...IN BEFORE the LOCK!

We had slaves for hundreds of years too. Going to use the same argument to defend that? It's weird that you think "we did it for years" somehow justifies it.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

That's just stupid... comparing slavery to vocabulary is insane. Why so many words these days now offend people is beyond me. People chose to be offended by words. Very sad!

I was merely pointing out "we did it for years" is a weak justification.

From the New Oxford American Dictionary: "USAGE: The term Oriental, denoting a person from the Far East, is regarded as offensive by many Asians, esp. Asian Americans. It has many associations with European imperialism in Asia. Therefore, it has an out-of-date feel and tends to be associated with a rather offensive stereotype of the people and their customs as inscrutable and exotic. Asian and more specific terms such as East Asian, Chinese, and Japanese are preferred."

I mean if those people are like "hey call us something else" how hard is that?

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Had freedom of speech too, until the libs decided only their point of view was acceptable speech.

You have all the freedom of speech you want. You do not have freedom from social consequences of that speech. Huge difference. the first amendment guarantees you won't be put in jail for expressing unpopular opinions. It doesn't guarantee you won't be called out by others when they think you're being a dick. That would be weird.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

So is Asian, European, South American, also racist now? That's how clueless your argument is.

Uh, no. Why would they be? Is it really such a burden to not refer to people as orientals after they ask you not to?

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

The PC police like to change terms for no reason other than to act smug and in the know. Oriental from French term “orientale“ meaning “Eastern”. It was used to narrow down Asian communities of east (China, Japan, Korea ....) and Southern (India, Pakistan, ..,) Not derogatory until the PC crowd decided it was time to cry someone else is being victimized. One again separating people by saying we need to stop separating people.
    Oh no, these guys are offending themselves - http://www.orientaltrading.com/ my friend's card store use to order the bulk crap all the time.

It wasn't PC people who decided to change terms arbitrarily, it was people from east Asia and Asian Americans. I will never understand why old white dudes throw such temper tantrums about this kind of thing, rather than being like "oh hey they prefer to be called something else? Cool, I'll try to remember that" and moving on. Would save everyone a lot of trouble, and make you look a lot less like guys being intentionally rude for no particularly good reason.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

By the way, I'm insulted at your username. It insults every single PEZ dispenser out there.

If you can cite some sources indicating PEZ dispensers agree, I'll consider changing it. That's the difference here.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Well, the funny thing to me is most of my friends (even those with Asian, African, European, . . .heritage) preferred to just be called American. Drop the stupid Hyphen xxx-American because that is what is separating. I don't call myself a Czechoslovakian-American (or any of the other 3 mixed origins on the other side). And if someone did? If they don't mean it derogatory I would not take it that way.

Fine, call them American. If they asked you not to call them Orientals, would you freak out or would you comply? That's the situation we are in, even of the people involved aren't literally your friends.

Quoted from Taxman:

I know you think someone wishing you a Merry Christmas is like spitting in your face. Or they should be sent to sensitivity class if they say "God bless you" to a sneeze. They must have wanted to insult you.

swing and a miss. Please don't tell me what you "know" about me when you are simply making up nonsense. Thank you.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

By the way, I'm insulted at your username. It insults every single PEZ dispenser out there.

Quoted from pezpunk:

If you can cite some sources indicating PEZ dispensers agree, I'll consider changing it. That's the difference here.

Quoted from eggbert52:

Unfortunately that's impossible because like you they don't have a brain.

I was making a key point there. I invite you to read it again and respond with something other than an insult.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

In addition Pez, you may try another state sometime. I know I love saving 7% per month on my take home pay.

Nah, I enjoy the vastly superior income and education levels up here.

#96 8 years ago

Asian Americans asking you not to call them Orientals is ruining the country? Really? You don't think your freakout is a little hyperbolic?

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

So your about 25 miles from DC, yeah i envy you.

...? I live in something like the 7th richest county in the U.S. Great schools, great restaurants, great local craft breweries, great neighborhood. What's not to like? traffic is pretty awful, but that's my only complaint.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Wonder where Palm Beach falls? And the only reason its so filthy rich is because all the overpaid politicians live near by.

Politicians aren't a big enough part of the population to make a difference. Most of us are defense contractors.

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

I see your point, as in the majority of the PC crowd is such a respectful bunch towards others LOL.

Dude you and Eggbert have been the ones slinging unmitigated insults all thread. I've been completely respectful in my responses.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

GO AWAY ! Your making an ass of yourself.

So much anger. Really, you would be better off taking a little break from the keyboard. Friendly advice.

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Nothing but respectful to us "Old White Dudes".

What would you prefer to be called?

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

I've ignored Pez weeks ago so I only have others comments to go on, but I can guess what he's doing. I'm convinced he does this shit purely for trolling purposes. Every time he chimes in with his PC wisdom it's an instant thread derail. Never fails.

The only reason the thread derails is because of Sirs who instead of saying "oh they don't like being called orientals? Ok" want to cry about how America is ruined, their freedom of speech is being taken away by liberals, etc.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Oh my, I can't believe Pezpunk has trolled another thread to white knight for a race/gender/ sexual orientation that wasn't offended by a passing comment. That never happens! Ever!
    Hey admins, want to know why some of us won't donate to Pinside? It's because people like this always get threads locked and people booted from topics after they come in and start all the shit in the first place. All the while hurling insults themselves while seldom being reprimanded for it.

I've taken dozens of insults in this thread and I think the closest I've come to insulting anyone is using the phrase "old white dudes". The insults don't bother me, but don't pretend I'm not the one taking them, or that I'm the one dishing them out. Thanks.

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Well said. I would give you 50 thumbs up if i could. He always weasles his way out looking like the good guy. And Pez do not tell me to take any friendly advice, you are not my friend.

I can be friendly to people without being their friend. It's pretty easy and refreshing, actually.

#137 8 years ago

Two thumbs down on my last post. Is friendliness also ruining America?

#142 8 years ago

Declares the guy who says he hasn't read a post of mine in 2 years, haha.

Quoted from jwo825:

That's bullshit. Maybe you're not doing it in this thread, but you've done it in plenty others.

Wow it should be really easy for you to find lots of examples of me calling other people names. I mean I could easily cite a dozen examples in this thread of insults made directly at me. I am not complaining, just pointing out the hypocrisy in that complaint.

#155 8 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

" If you are not a liberal at twenty, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at forty, you have no brain"

I can be called a lot of things, but implying that I'm (effectively) stupid is one I have no trouble at all laughing off.

Same applies here.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mexico-declares-war-on-pinball?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.