3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bert-ernie-cookie-galz.jpg
    image.gif
    IMG_20151129_142307.jpg
    4LEyfZG.jpg
    PEZ.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

That's purely how Trump & his supporters see it, all the way down to the cultural insensitivity. Just a bunch of windbags grabbing headlines and trolling the upcoming election.

Ha, {cultural insensitvity} really? How about this "Trump 2016" suck on that LIB!

#52 3 years ago

Butthurt again Pezpunk?

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Butthurt again Pezpunk?

Referring to people as "orientals" is pretty messed up (which is what the cultural insensitivity comment was in reference to).

You're going a bit off the rails in here though, may want to slow your roll a bit. Friendly advice.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Referring to people as "orientals" is pretty messed up (which is what the cultural insensitivity comment was in reference to).
    You're going a bit off the rails in here though, may want to slow your roll a bit. Friendly advice.

Dude, you seriously need to get a life. There is nothing wrong with this country and people have been referred to as Orientals for hundreds of years. You need to get back in touch with Reality. Your state Governor has no control because everyone wants Conservatives in the government because of this PC crap.

Oh and...IN BEFORE the LOCK!

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Dude, you seriously need to get a life. There is nothing wrong with this country and people have been referred to as Orientals for hundreds of years. You need to get back in touch with Reality. Your state Governor has no control because everyone wants Conservatives in the government because of this PC crap.
    Oh and...IN BEFORE the LOCK!

We had slaves for hundreds of years too. Going to use the same argument to defend that? It's weird that you think "we did it for years" somehow justifies it.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

We had slaves for hundreds of years too. Going to use the same argument to defend that? It's weird that you think "we did it for years" somehow justifies it.

That's just stupid... comparing slavery to vocabulary is insane. Why so many words these days now offend people is beyond me. People chose to be offended by words. Very sad!

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

That's just stupid... comparing slavery to vocabulary is insane. Why so many words these days now offend people is beyond me. People chose to be offended by words. Very sad!

I was merely pointing out "we did it for years" is a weak justification.

From the New Oxford American Dictionary: "USAGE: The term Oriental, denoting a person from the Far East, is regarded as offensive by many Asians, esp. Asian Americans. It has many associations with European imperialism in Asia. Therefore, it has an out-of-date feel and tends to be associated with a rather offensive stereotype of the people and their customs as inscrutable and exotic. Asian and more specific terms such as East Asian, Chinese, and Japanese are preferred."

I mean if those people are like "hey call us something else" how hard is that?

#58 3 years ago

Had freedom of speech too, until the libs decided only their point of view was acceptable speech.

#59 3 years ago

And in before the lock.

#60 3 years ago

The word Oriental is considered a slang in many areas of the world. Western European countries that used colonization to suppress East Asians, has been the cause of this change in the word Oriental.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Had freedom of speech too, until the libs decided only their point of view was acceptable speech.

You have all the freedom of speech you want. You do not have freedom from social consequences of that speech. Huge difference. the first amendment guarantees you won't be put in jail for expressing unpopular opinions. It doesn't guarantee you won't be called out by others when they think you're being a dick. That would be weird.

#62 3 years ago

He whined about calling Midgets, Midgets! He's like the spokesman for the PC crowd. I will say what i see and believe in no matter what. People have had enough of his types.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

You have all the freedom of speech you want. You do not have freedom from social consequences of that speech. Huge difference.

I think you are the one who needs to worry about the "social consequences."

So is Asian, European, South American, also racist now? That's how clueless your argument is.

They are FROM the ORIENT!! What part of that don't you understand? Move to a red state and you're gonna get your ass kicked.

#64 3 years ago

The PC police like to change terms for no reason other than to act smug and in the know. Oriental from French term “orientale“ meaning “Eastern”. It was used to narrow down Asian communities of east (China, Japan, Korea ....) and Southern (India, Pakistan, ..,) Not derogatory until the PC crowd decided it was time to cry someone else is being victimized. One again separating people by saying we need to stop separating people.

Oh no, these guys are offending themselves - http://www.orientaltrading.com/ my friend's card store use to order the bulk crap all the time.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

So is Asian, European, South American, also racist now? That's how clueless your argument is.

Uh, no. Why would they be? Is it really such a burden to not refer to people as orientals after they ask you not to?

#66 3 years ago

Mods, bring this baby to the basement for a two week self destruct please!

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Uh, no. Why would they be? Is it really such a burden to not refer to people as orientals after they ask you not to?

Yes it is. The majority is tired of having to appease to you sensitive wussies every single day.

By the way, I'm insulted at your username. It insults every single PEZ dispenser out there.

PEZ.jpg

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

The PC police like to change terms for no reason other than to act smug and in the know. Oriental from French term “orientale“ meaning “Eastern”. It was used to narrow down Asian communities of east (China, Japan, Korea ....) and Southern (India, Pakistan, ..,) Not derogatory until the PC crowd decided it was time to cry someone else is being victimized. One again separating people by saying we need to stop separating people.
    Oh no, these guys are offending themselves - http://www.orientaltrading.com/ my friend's card store use to order the bulk crap all the time.

It wasn't PC people who decided to change terms arbitrarily, it was people from east Asia and Asian Americans. I will never understand why old white dudes throw such temper tantrums about this kind of thing, rather than being like "oh hey they prefer to be called something else? Cool, I'll try to remember that" and moving on. Would save everyone a lot of trouble, and make you look a lot less like guys being intentionally rude for no particularly good reason.

#69 3 years ago

From the NY Times on Nov. 19th, 2015. A pretty reputable source, I believe:

More Mexican Immigrants Leaving U.S. Than Entering, Report Finds

More immigrants from Mexico are leaving the United States than coming into the country, according to a report published Thursday by the Pew Research Center, a finding that indicates the end of the largest wave of immigration from a single country in American history.

The shift is the first time since immigration from Mexico began to rise in the 1970s that fewer Mexicans came into America than returned home, the Pew report found. The reversal is primarily the result of a steep drop in Mexicans coming into the country.

Using census data from the United States and Mexico, the Pew report found that from 2009 to 2014, slightly more than a million Mexicans and their families — including about 100,000 children younger than 5 who were American citizens born in the United States — returned to live in Mexico. In the same period, an estimated 870,000 Mexicans came here, resulting in an outflow of about 140,000.

Last year, the number of Mexicans caught crossing the border illegally — an imperfect but still widely used indicator of overall illegal crossings — dropped to 230,000, according to official figures, the lowest since 1971.

The end of the influx has led to a decline in the numbers of Mexican immigrants in the United States, Pew reported, to 11.7 million in 2014, down from a peak of 12.8 million in 2007. Most of the decline can be attributed to a drop in the number of Mexicans here illegally, to 5.6 million last year from an estimated 6.9 million in 2007. Mexicans are by far the largest nationality among undocumented immigrants.

Reviewing Mexican census data, Pew reported that most Mexicans left the United States “of their own accord,” with about six in 10 migrants who returned home saying they were reuniting with family members. About 6 percent said they had found jobs there. Another 14 percent said they had been deported. Ms. Gonzalez-Barrera said that figure might not reflect all Mexican residents expelled by the United States authorities, because many Mexican who are deported have said they crossed again illegally to return to families or jobs in the United States.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/us/more-mexican-immigrants-leaving-us-than-entering-report-finds.html?referer=&_r=0

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

They're trying to get into our country by the truckload, so a lot of them are now in Arizona and Texas. Fact.

See above.

#71 3 years ago

What a lie , written by a Mexican.

#72 3 years ago

Experts were on television all week clearly pointing out that the study you quote is total BS.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

It wasn't PC people who decided to change terms arbitrarily, it was people from east Asia and Asian Americans. I will never understand why old white dudes throw such temper tantrums about this kind of thing, rather than being like "oh hey they prefer to be called something else? Cool, I'll try to remember that" and moving on. Would save everyone a lot of trouble, and make you look a lot less like guys being intentionally rude for no particularly good reason.

Well, the funny thing to me is most of my friends (even those with Asian, African, European, . . .heritage) preferred to just be called American. Drop the stupid Hyphen xxx-American because that is what is separating. I don't call myself a Czechoslovakian-American (or any of the other 3 mixed origins on the other side). And if someone did? If they don't mean it derogatory I would not take it that way.

I know you think someone wishing you a Merry Christmas is like spitting in your face. Or they should be sent to sensitivity class if they say "God bless you" to a sneeze. They must have wanted to insult you.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

By the way, I'm insulted at your username. It insults every single PEZ dispenser out there.

If you can cite some sources indicating PEZ dispensers agree, I'll consider changing it. That's the difference here.

#75 3 years ago

We need a poll. Is this thread going to lock or basement?

#76 3 years ago

The article referred only to Mexican immigrants, when the majority of the crossings are now from Central Americal and other origins, a bit misleading..

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

If you can cite some sources indicating PEZ dispensers agree, I'll consider changing it. That's the difference here.

Unfortunately that's impossible because like you they don't have a brain.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Cmon, man, don't take a side if you're going to cowardly backpedal as soon as you're confronted. At least teekee has a spine.

Please don't call me a coward. It's insensitive and prejuduced and hurts my feelings. I have a spine...and a chiropractor. I also keep my word when I promise Robin and the moderators to try to behave. You certainly understand that, right?

I subscribe to the NY Times, and I'm not sure there's a more left wing paper. Don't really care what that article believes. I don't see footage of Mexicans sneaking under the fences to get out. When I do, I'll believe it, too.

Quoted from Darcy:

The word Oriental is considered a slang in many areas of the world. Western European countries that used colonization to suppress East Asians, has been the cause of this change in the word Oriental.

The word Oriental isn't offensive. In fact, white people are actually Occidental, did you know that? Also not offensive. I have an Oriental carpet in my living room. It comes from Asia. Should I call it Asian, or Oriental? I'm very confused.

#79 3 years ago

Aww it's so cute that you idiots can justify any position that results in "us vs them"

#80 3 years ago

I would also like to point out that this thread was going along swimmingly until Pezpunk showed up and once again called everybody a racist.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Well, the funny thing to me is most of my friends (even those with Asian, African, European, . . .heritage) preferred to just be called American. Drop the stupid Hyphen xxx-American because that is what is separating. I don't call myself a Czechoslovakian-American (or any of the other 3 mixed origins on the other side). And if someone did? If they don't mean it derogatory I would not take it that way.

Fine, call them American. If they asked you not to call them Orientals, would you freak out or would you comply? That's the situation we are in, even of the people involved aren't literally your friends.

Quoted from Taxman:

I know you think someone wishing you a Merry Christmas is like spitting in your face. Or they should be sent to sensitivity class if they say "God bless you" to a sneeze. They must have wanted to insult you.

swing and a miss. Please don't tell me what you "know" about me when you are simply making up nonsense. Thank you.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

If they asked you not to call them Orientals, would you freak out or would you comply?

I would do neither. I would continue to do what's been done for hundreds of years which is call them Oriental.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

... I don't see footage of Mexicans sneaking under the fences to get out. When I do, I'll believe it, too.

You missed a real good episode of South Park.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Quoted from pezpunk:

Quoted from eggbert52:

Unfortunately that's impossible because like you they don't have a brain.

I was making a key point there. I invite you to read it again and respond with something other than an insult.

#86 3 years ago

Pez your PC shit is not going to fly here, now go away!

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Pez your PC shit is not going to fly here, now go away!

In addition Pez, you may try another state sometime. I know I love saving 7% per month on my take home pay.

#88 3 years ago

It's the ny times, the most left liberal source on earth besides cnn.

#89 3 years ago

Sorry guys - I agree with Walter and pezpunk:

Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please. ... Walter Sobchak

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

You missed a real good episode of South Park.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

In addition Pez, you may try another state sometime. I know I love saving 7% per month on my take home pay.

Nah, I enjoy the vastly superior income and education levels up here.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

So did I. Then...I moved to Florida, kept my fantastic resume with Oracle, and am now making more in overall comp and the lack of state income tax also adds to it. But...you're too blind politically to ever reap the benefits of such a move.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have an Oriental carpet in my living room. It comes from Asia. Should I call it Asian, or Oriental? I'm very confused.

You can call your carpet what ever you want. For most purposes the carpets or rug that are made from regions starting in Morocco, and stretching east as far as China & Tibet. These rugs are called Oriental, some say 'Persian Rug' just to give them an easy identifier.
    If you have an older oriental rug, you might want to get it appraised. The appraiser should also be able to identify the area where it was woven.

#94 3 years ago

STOP CHOOSING TO BE OFFENDED! If someone is beating you over the head with a club that's one thing but if a word offends you then you have serious problems and should stay in the closet.

Its destroying this country... among other things sadly.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

So your about 25 miles from DC, yeah i envy you.

#96 3 years ago

Asian Americans asking you not to call them Orientals is ruining the country? Really? You don't think your freakout is a little hyperbolic?

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

So your about 25 miles from DC, yeah i envy you.

...? I live in something like the 7th richest county in the U.S. Great schools, great restaurants, great local craft breweries, great neighborhood. What's not to like? traffic is pretty awful, but that's my only complaint.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

I have an office down there.

Can you get me a bottle of that Mezcal with the Skull on the label??

#99 3 years ago

Wonder where Palm Beach falls? And the only reason its so filthy rich is because all the overpaid politicians live near by.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Wonder where Palm Beach falls? And the only reason its so filthy rich is because all the overpaid politicians live near by.

Politicians aren't a big enough part of the population to make a difference. Most of us are defense contractors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 13.00
    Playfields
    Lermods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside