(Topic ID: 97064)

METLE to cliffy magnets or not to cliffy magnets?

By pinchamp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

After many plays I still have no noticeable wear or pitting around my METLE magnets. However I did buy the full cliffy set of protectors and am installing today. However I remember some issues with these magnet protectors pealing up and taking the playfield with them. Can anyone who has installed these chime in on how their experience went? I don't want to end up doing damage myself yet they should probably have protection? Would just Mylar overtop be better? Thanks.image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I Am on my second sparky magnet protector which is also curling up

First one came of without damage, 2nd is still installed, curling is not to bad and to afraid to tear it off. Bought already goo gone so sooner or later it will come off

If I would have to do it again I would skip the magnet protector. Have no experience with hammerlock as I have a pro. The curling matters are to the best of my knowledge all related to the magnet, not to the hammer lock

#3 9 years ago

Cliffy has always stated that his protectors are sacrifical. They are not meant to be permanently invulnerable protectors. Simple physics, you bash a heavy steel ball into a thin still ring, at the point of impact, it's going to cause a slight bend as the thinner metal deforms. That leads to it curling up over time and repeated impacts from the ball. I haven't used one on my pro, but I did have to use some Hard as Nails to help the playfield not wear as bad in one little spot where it was looking kinda bad.

#4 9 years ago

On my Met Pro both of the magnet protectors curled up after a few months and had to be removed. No paint came up. I have put about 10 to 12 of these protectors on my machines over the past couple of years and I believe five have curled. However, I have several of his other protectors on my machines and they work great.

#5 9 years ago

My fear is not the protector coming up or bending... My fear is it coming up and taking the play field finish / paint with it

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

My fear is not the protector coming up or bending... My fear is it coming up and taking the play field finish / paint with it

Only one of my magnet protectors pulled up just a little bit of paint.

#7 9 years ago

Just put mylar around the magnet. Does just what you are looking for and won't tear up the area around the magnets.

#8 9 years ago

Mylar on the cross and sparky cliffy on the coffin

#9 9 years ago

Does the coffin magnet not cause the cliffys to warp?

#10 9 years ago

My coffin magnet is, interestingly enough, the one that looks like the day it was installed. In the same time I have gone through three Sparkys.

#11 9 years ago

No problems with coffin protector. The other two peeled up. You are better off wth Mylar for grave and sparky. For whatever reason the protectors will curl up.

#12 9 years ago

I have the cliffy's on Sparky and Coffin. No problem there.

I would, however, be careful if using the eject cliffy. Caused my manual launch to go silly. See here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-manual-ball-launch-not-going-str8-auto-launch-perfect

#13 9 years ago

No problems with mine yet, cross fingers

#14 9 years ago

Don't bother mine peeled as all will

#15 9 years ago

same for me, and as said, its NOT permanent, quite logical to understand...

the only & good advice than : DONT play your MET anymore !!!

jokking of course, pinball are made to be played

1 week later
#16 9 years ago

I Read a tip on another thread, so, in case you haven't seen it.. Raise the magnet so it is flush with the Cliffy. I have done this and it seems to be helping a LOT. Makes a lot of sense.. When the ball bashes down on the inside of the ring there is no where for it to go.. The ball can only push down as far as the magnet. And if it is rolling over it there is now no "collision" with each edge of the ring.

I think I may have even read it on Cliffy 's site.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Raise the magnet so it is flush with the Cliffy. I have done this and it seems to be helping a LOT.

Seems to be doing the trick on mine as well. I've put a decent amount of play on my Cliffy rings, and they look brand new. If you've never adjusted a magnet core, it can be a bitch due to the huge nut held in place with loctite. I had already busted my nut (har har) to install Pinball Life's case-hardened magnet cores, so it was easier to adjust them.

1 month later
#18 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Seems to be doing the trick on mine as well. I've put a decent amount of play on my Cliffy rings, and they look brand new. If you've never adjusted a magnet core, it can be a bitch due to the huge nut held in place with loctite. I had already busted my nut (har har) to install Pinball Life's case-hardened magnet cores, so it was easier to adjust them.

How do you adjust these magnet cores? Why did you need pinballlifes case hardened magnet cores? Just curious as I was wondering what the maintenance is on the magnets, and how to take them out of Metallica?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metle-to-cliffy-magnets-or-not-to-cliffy-magnets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.