You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
  • Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9720 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I picked up a Stars game a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy it. Am contemplating picking up Meteor. Any opinions on which is a better game? Mostly looking for input regarding rules and play flow. Not all that concerned about graphics.

#2 7 years ago

Stars plays very much like an EM.
Meteor plays like a more modern game, and there is just more to shoot for and more to the rules.
I think Meteor is a "better" game, but I really like the EM feel of my Stars.

#3 7 years ago

Both great games. I enjoy playing Stars whenever I get the chance. I have a Meteor and there is some strategy involved for big scores. The biggest is knocking the M and the R target down at the top with 3 of the other 4 middle targets and then trying to hit the spinner without hitting a top rollover, stand-up target or inlane to drop the last METEOR drop target and reset the bank. The 1-2-3 targets increase the rockets for end of game bonus.

They made a lot of Meteors so it shouldn't be hard to find, but they tend to have trashed playfields and/or backglasses.

#4 7 years ago

I have owned and like both games. Meteor is a fun game, I am now on my second one.

#5 7 years ago

For a simple game STARS has a great rule set. Set the Special to award 100,000 points and you have a great jackpot shot to go for.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Stars plays very much like an EM.
Meteor plays like a more modern game, and there is just more to shoot for and more to the rules.
I think Meteor is a "better" game, but I really like the EM feel of my Stars.

But you don't end up shooting for more in Meteor. You pretty much spend the game trying to get the ball on the left flipper and ripping the spinner. The drops kind of get hit on their own. With Stars you shoot around the playfield more.

#7 7 years ago

I've had both and I would pick Meteor by a mile. I'm on my 3rd Meteor.

#8 7 years ago

Meteor is a good game but the background sound is pretty annoying. I prefer the chimes on STARS.

#9 7 years ago

I have and like them both. Trying to max that spinner on Meteor without collecting that last letter is always challenging and Stars has it's 100k shot for completing the right spinner. Stars probably has a bit more flow but both are really about super satisfying spinner shots.

IMG_9720 (resized).JPGIMG_9720 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

They're both phenomenal, for sure.

#12 7 years ago

Ditto.

Ron...

#13 7 years ago

I bought both at the same time. Both are good games but i sold stars and kept meteor.

#14 7 years ago

Both are good games, but I give Stars the edge.

#15 7 years ago

I have a Stars on route. It's extremely popular. Just got a Meteor a couple of weeks ago. I'm restoring it with the intention of putting it on route as well. Will be interesting to see which one gets the most play.

#16 7 years ago

What a great thread. I love it when you compare two games you never thought about putting head to head and come up with many people knowing both games, giving positive comments and still so many on both sides.

#17 7 years ago

starting to have some space issues. I've got more pinball machines in my pro shop right now than I do golf clubs.
Well, almost.

#18 7 years ago

Owned both, I think Stars is the better game. I think the scoring offers more situational strategy.
compromise: have them both.

#19 7 years ago

I too have Stars and Meteor "side by each", and they go swimmingly together.
For a fraction of the price of even a used C beater 90's B/W why the hell would you NOT buy them both?

As far as staying power goes, Stars has won (yet again) another thinning of the early solid state herd.
I'm pretty sure it's rooted itself into the slab by now.
Not that I or my guests are complaining...

Both are winners.

#20 7 years ago

Now we are talking about some games!!!

They are both fantastic games. I give the edge to Stars, but I just love that game. Simple and frustrating! I can play stars over and over again for shit scores, but hitting that special for 100k has that wonderful sound. So rewarding when you do it.

Meteor needs to be setup fast and tough. I commonly hear people say Meteor is too easy, but setup right, with the outlanes open and thin rubber on them, the game can scream! Fast fast fast really brings out the game. And that spinner logic is great. Tied to the targets (like other games), but easy to drop the last and lose all your spinner value.

Both so good, you can't lose.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But you don't end up shooting for more in Meteor. You pretty much spend the game trying to get the ball on the left flipper and ripping the spinner. The drops kind of get hit on their own. With Stars you shoot around the playfield more.

Unless you play it strategically, that is. Align the rockets to light the center targets on the 1-2-3 banks for extra ball or big points. Hit the wrong drop or lit dead bumper and you have to try to align them again. Can be very difficult and frustrating, and I often find that when I align the rockets the center drops are already down.

Quoted from DaveH:

Meteor needs to be setup fast and tough. I commonly hear people say Meteor is too easy, but setup right, with the outlanes open and thin rubber on them, the game can scream! Fast fast fast really brings out the game. And that spinner logic is great. Tied to the targets (like other games), but easy to drop the last and lose all your spinner value.

This is absolutely true and is THE BIGGEST game changer for Meteor. Set the playfield angle way up, like 7.5 degrees. There's a point where the ball physics seems more like pachinko than pinball. Set it at that point then back it down just a bit to give it the right physics. When it's setup fast and tough it will never be easy, and it will never be boring.

#22 7 years ago

Stars any day. Can't stand the sounds with metwork. That being said, the play field layouts on the classic Stearns are amazing

#23 7 years ago

Meteor

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

Stars any day. Can't stand the sounds with metwork. That being said, the play field layouts on the classic Stearns are amazing

Way to hedge your bets, PapaJohn

#25 7 years ago

Meteor is a better game to me. I've played both extensively. They are both great.

#26 7 years ago

whatecer decision you make please let me if you are selling the stars. I'll buy it or find someone who will.

I think for your general layman meteor would be preferred. It's faster, has some flow, more flippers, more drops, more exciting sound and newer style gameplay.

I prefer stars of course.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

whatecer decision you make please let me if you are selling the stars. I'll buy it or find someone who will.
I think for your general layman meteor would be preferred. It's faster, has some flow, more flippers, more drops, more exciting sound and newer style gameplay.
I prefer stars of course.

I was hoping you would chime in. I know that you have Stars. Wasn't sure what your experience with Meteor was. I knew they were both designed by the same guy. I'd hear some people prefer Stars, but not totally trusting the reviews, I thought I'd start this thread.

The Meteor I was considering, I should have moved a little bit faster. It's gone now. Hopefully another will come up at some point. Not sure I want to let Stars get away. I enjoy the heck out of that machine, plus it frustrates me to no end. However, I FINALLY busted a good game on it last week. 1.3 million. The points add up quick once you get all the stars lit and hit the special a few times.

#28 7 years ago

A big thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond to this thread. I haven't found a Meteor to play yet, so I really appreciate the input from everyone here. Thanks again!

#29 7 years ago

There are tons of meteors around not hard to find.

#30 7 years ago

I have a Meteor. I picked it up hoping to find Stars or Star Gazer (like everybody else ever). My Meteor is currently dead and is awaiting a power driver board replacement, but I was impressed with the game. Don't know how it ranks up quite yet, but Meteor is a bit more exciting for people who tend to prefer a more modern game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 169.00
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-versus-stars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.