• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CaffeineSlug
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180409_124617 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I'm trying to finish up a Meteor project and having boot issues. All connectors are plugged in except for the sound board. New rectifier board. When I start it up, I get all of the MPU flashes per pinwiki. Test point voltages are good on the rectifier board, solenoid driver, and MPU. Solder joints on the MPU connector pins all look great. All fuses are ok. I have backbox lights and coin door lights, but that's it. No playfield lights, no displays, and I'm stuck here. I did verify the displays are getting correct voltage.

This is my first early Stern. Where should I start looking next? I'll guess connectors, but I'm missing so many things that it feels like it can't be *all* bad connectors, something else must be going on.

#2 1 year ago

You get all flashes including the flicker?

Are both your 5101 RAMs fast variants?

I'd assume if it's booting that no matter how bad your connectors are, you'd get *some* output somewhere.

#3 1 year ago

Video of startup flashes:

From the descriptions I've read that seems right to me

5101 RAM pic attached, are those fast enough?

IMG_20180409_124617 (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago

"Turns out a bad 5101 RAM or one that is too slow will not keep up with the CPU's demand for accessing the display data. Here's a list of 5101 RAM speeds:

PCD5101P : 150nS (Philips)
5101-1 : 450nS
5101L-1 : 450nS
5101-2 : 450nS
5101L-2 : 450nS
5101 : 650nS
5101L : 650nS
5101-3 : 650nS
5101L-3 : 650nS
5101-8 : 800nS
The Phillips brand of 5101 is the best, as it's the fastest and will work in all Bally/Stern MPU board applications. Sterns MPU-200 need 450ns or faster RAM, Bally MPU -35/-17 need 650ns or faster"

Can't quite read the lower on in your pic, and the upper one has an E so I'm not sure again how to read that. Did you replace either of them while getting it working? Do you have access to any other mpu-200 games you could swap them with?

#5 1 year ago

I haven't replaced these 5101s. I don't know anyone local with an MPU-200 game unfortunately.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

I haven't replaced these 5101s. I don't know anyone local with an MPU-200 game unfortunately.

I can't say for sure that's the problem but it may be worth picking up some good ones with your next order or grabbing some NVRAM.

I've also never seen a little flicker like that after the seventh flash, not sure if it's important or not

#7 1 year ago

I'm no expert but I thought they had to match.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I'm no expert but I thought they had to match.

They do have to match, for Meteor especially. Typically, the spinner makes odd sounds if they are mismatched.

#9 1 year ago

I've ordered two new 5101s, so hopefully that helps.

#10 1 year ago

I removed the 5101s today, and found that the lower chip had some battery corrosion damage on just one pin. Cleaned it off and reinserted it, and the machine booted up no problem. New socket is coming with the new chips, and since this MPU works, I guess I'll order up the rest of the parts to repair the battery damage.
zacaj, thanks for narrowing down the problem for me!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 7.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hillsborough, NJ
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside