Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16080754808901914366524931296678 (resized).jpg
16080754538733571862352050471159 (resized).jpg
16080754341708972745358502352169 (resized).jpg
1608075414373694178549631502391 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I just bought Stern Meteor from someone locally. I played the machine on two separate occasions, once when I went to look at it and the second when I picked it up. Both times the game fired up and played great. When got it home I thoroughly went through the back box and checked all connections. Next I lifted the playfield and checked all the connections under the playfield and in the cabinet. I also checked all the fuses for continuity and they checked out fine. finally I checked all the coin door connections and everything looked good. When I fire it up there is no sound and the score displays are not lit. I installed a new remote battery but still no luck. I did notice the red LED light in the back box is solid red, does that mean something? I also noticed some battery barf on a couple of the transistors below where the old battery was installed. All help is appreciated.

1608075414373694178549631502391 (resized).jpg1608075414373694178549631502391 (resized).jpg16080754341708972745358502352169 (resized).jpg16080754341708972745358502352169 (resized).jpg16080754538733571862352050471159 (resized).jpg16080754538733571862352050471159 (resized).jpg16080754808901914366524931296678 (resized).jpg16080754808901914366524931296678 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

The "barf" is on the lamp board, which controls feature lighting. Let's work on that board later, as it may or may not be bad. Your immediate problem is that the MPU isn't booting all the way. That's why you have no sound or displays.

Let's start to troubleshoot with your MPU board, the one with the red LED on it. When you turn on the game, watch that LED. It should flicker very fast then off, then flash 7 more times. Tell us, how many flashes do you get when you power the machine on?

#3 3 years ago

Also, you have connected a remote power backup (three AA batteries) to the MPU board but do you have a blocking diode in the line? That would be in the red wire between the battery pack and the MPU board.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

The "barf" is on the lamp board, which controls feature lighting. Let's work on that board later, as it may or may not be bad. Your immediate problem is that the MPU isn't booting all the way. That's why you have no sound or displays.
Let's start to troubleshoot with your MPU board, the one with the red LED on it. When you turn on the game, watch that LED. It should flicker very fast then off, then flash 7 more times. Tell us, how many flashes do you get when you power the machine on?

do those 7 flashes coincide with the beeps on boot?

#5 3 years ago

The red LED light stays solid red when starting up. No flashing, no beeping

#6 3 years ago

This sounds exactly like my Meteor booting problem (except my original boards were recently bulletproofed/extensively rebuilt and tested in my tech friend's machine for a weekend--I've got a button battery instead of the AA)...I think I'll try to get over to it tomorrow. I need to install the new sound cables and check the power supply with a multi-meter.

#7 3 years ago

I don't believe there is a blocking diode in the battery pack

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

They do

Quoted from ss-pinball:

I've got a button battery instead of the AA

Quoted from SUP3RBAMF:

I don't believe there is a blocking diode in the battery pack

Make sure you have blocking diode or the mpu will try to charge them.... not good.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from SUP3RBAMF:

The red LED light stays solid red when starting up. No flashing, no beeping

OK, then Refer to the Pinwiki, section:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_.2F_Stern_MPU_Board_LED_Never_Lights_or_is_Locked_On

Please report back your findings following those recommendations.

Quoted from northvibe:

There are no beeps on the boot that I have ever experienced.

#10 3 years ago

You seem to have a stuck-on LED on the MPU, which indicates it's not booting at all. Diagnosing & repairing such problems generally requires expertise & experience! No-boot can be caused by MANY things, but if the game was working before, it's more hopeful that it's not simply a dead reset circuit on the MPU (repair requires electronics experience), and something to do with a bad connector/socket.

You could start by isolating the MPU from other boards/connectors (with everything powered off!), and seeing if it will boot: Disconnect everything going to the MPU except J4 (lower-left connector), including the ribbon-cable at the top which goes to the sound-board. If you still get a stuck-on, you possibly don't have proper power to the MPU, or maybe one of the socketed chips has corrosion or is loose. You can then try flicking each socketed-chip sharply with a fingernail, and try again (not a science, but sometimes will temporarily give you a good enough connection to boot). Failing that, you're probably into bad DC power to the MPU, via the Solenoid/Driver Board (upper-right) which does the 5v and 12v regulation, and the power supply/rectifier in the cabinet. You can try wiggling connectors on both boards to see if there's a bad/burnt connection.

Honestly, you may also have any number of other problems, including blown fuses, or even improperly inserted connectors when the game was put back together, so the above is only some stuff you can try without getting out a multi-meter and schematic.

Good luck! Meteor is still_ one of my favourite games, and will be great fun when you get it working!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

OK, then Refer to the Pinwiki, section:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_.2F_Stern_MPU_Board_LED_Never_Lights_or_is_Locked_On
Please report back your findings following those recommendations.

There are no beeps on the boot that I have ever experienced.

Really? I thought this 7 beep thing was a thing with the mpus from bally/stern.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Really? I thought this 7 beep thing was a thing with the mpus from bally/stern.

Yes you are correct. My Meteor beeps with the flash.

#13 3 years ago

Stern mpu200 games do the beep thing coinciding with the LED's. Earlier mpu100 games do not, and Bally games don't do it at all.

I removed it from a couple test builds of flight 2000 (along with the startup test being moved to the self-test instead of bootup) with instant bootup and I *hated* it. I'm used to it on Williams and Gottlieb games (not system 1) but bally/stern.... I want that delay.

#14 3 years ago

update, I disconnected every connector to the CPU board and cleaned everything thoroughly. I connected J4 for power and started connecting the rest of the connectors one by one while rebooting the machine. i found that the ribbons leading to the sound board are the cause of the problem. The good news is the game plays normally but now I have no sound. I'm thinking it's either the sound board, the ribbons, or the connectors. I may start by replacing the ribbons and go from there. any thoughts??

#15 3 years ago

Can you take pictures of the sound board?

I would get a rebuild kit for the capacitors at minimum. I personally would get new cables, it’s a cheap ish and those things are like 40yrs old.

You’ll also want to see if the header pins have corrosion and need to be cleaned or replaced.

#16 3 years ago

I will update tomorrow with pics of the sound board northvibe

Quoted from northvibe:

Can you take pictures of the sound board?
I would get a rebuild kit for the capacitors at minimum. I personally would get new cables, it’s a cheap ish and those things are like 40yrs old.
You’ll also want to see if the header pins have corrosion and need to be cleaned or replaced.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from SUP3RBAMF:

I will update tomorrow with pics of the sound board northvibe

Great!

My neighbor has a wild fyre with the sound cutting in and out, so I may be doing some work on a sb100 too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-start-up-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.