• Latest reply 7 years ago by tomdotcom
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161108_114152 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdotcom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Recently got myself a Meteor and had it setup downstairs. Game played great, but the settings and high scores were acting up so I bought a nvram board for u8/u13 on MPU.

I took the head off and took the game upstairs in 2 pieces. Now I am having sound issues. (see video below). The sounds are all muffled and cutting out.

The cables between the sound board and MPU are brand new. I also repinned and replaced the bottom 2 connectors to the sound board as well. I also swapped back in the old ram and that didn't make a difference. I did clip off the remote battery pack when I installed the nvram, but that shouldn't matter. I also triple checked all my connections.

Any thoughts what I should test or check next?

Thanks!!!

#3 7 years ago

Sockets are my next best guess as well....

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Did the sound problem begin when you installed NVRAM or when you moved the game?
Try something not invasive first... Sever the IRQ from the sound board. Easiest way to do this is to only use pins 1-32 on the J5 connector. If you have 34 pin plug, shift the connectors over two pins to the right on both ends of the sound board ribbon. That will leave 33 and 34 disconnected.
The IRQ is not required for the 6840 chip on the sound board and it being connected occasionally causes problems.

I installed the RAM and moved the game at the same time, before testing it. Dumb move

Ok I will look into that Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

I got a replacement Alltek MPU in it now. Still having same problem. I'm thinking it has to be a connector issue somewhere?

#7 7 years ago

Sound Board test points read:

TP 2(12v) = 14.2
TP 4(5v) = 4.78

#8 7 years ago

I took out the 6840 timer chip and reseated it. Wiggled connectors while triggering sounds. Still getting the same muffled and choppy sound.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Make sure the Altek is set to Stern. Using the door buttons, clear all of the audits starting at switch 6. Garbage accumulates here causing weird things to happen. I think Altek also has a procedure to clear memory.

I've done that with the new board and the old board too. But thanks for the tip anyhow Also the jumpers have been switched as well for Stern.

#13 7 years ago

I did mess with the volume pot, didn't help.

I did run the sound test and some of the sounds are messed up in it I think. I'll post a video of what my sound test sounds like.

I did also check the speaker connections and they're good.

#14 7 years ago

Ran the solenoid/sound test a few times.

See here:

#15 7 years ago

20/21 don't sound right compared to a couple vids on youtube..

ie:

and

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

did you try disconnecting the IRQ from the 6840 on the sound board? Either move the j5 connector so the last two pins are not connected or bend the IRQ pin out of the 6840 socket. No games need it to be connected. I have seen the IRQ signal at the 6840 cause problems more than a few times.
If its not a connector problem, fixing the sb300 is a bit more advanced. You have to watch the signals travel through the board during solenoid test or while triggering sounds in game mode

One of the sound board to mpu connectors is keyed though and missing that wire in the connector.

#19 7 years ago

I could try bending that 6840 irq pin out....but dont want to wreck it.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

The replacement cables are keyed at pin #29. Original cables could have been Molex parts with key pins, or ribbon cables that weren't keyed.
If you pop out the 6840 and bend pin #9 (IRQ) slightly outward so that when re-inserted it misses the socket, that will allow you to disconnect IRQ and you can then just remove the 6840 again and bend it back straight after testing that theory. Just bend it very slightly -- you don't want to put a kink in it or it'll snap off... just needs to "miss" the socket when you re-insert the chip.
If you need help finding pin #9.. with the chip oriented so the notch on the top of the IC is on the left.. pin #1 is the left-most pin. Count over to pin #9 starting at that pin.

Ok gonna try this right now...

#22 7 years ago

Ok I bent 9th pin out on 6840. Hooked it all back up and getting same result. Thanks for all the help so far guys. Bit of a head scratcher

#24 7 years ago

Sound worked fine just 15minutes before I moved it upstairs and removed all the connectors to take the head off.

That has to be the biggest and most likely clue? That clue would lead me to think I have a bad connection somewhere.

I tested continuity from the mpu to the soundboard, and got beeps all the way along that 34pin connector. So the data should be getting to and from those boards.

What other connectors should I focus on?

#25 7 years ago

Maybe another clue? This is what the game is displaying for a high score.

20161108_114152 (resized).jpg20161108_114152 (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago

I reset that high score and all adjustments and it reverted right back to that weird high score thats missing a digit...

#30 7 years ago

All the displays work fine. It just leaves a digit off for high score, so its getting bad data or something.

I did see that thing about clearing the board rotordave. Ill try it, but the old mpu and new mpu are doing the same thing. So id guess that aint gonna help But will try it anyhow..

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Is that with the Alltek in the game or back to the original board?
Also is there a setting on the Alltek for "MPU-200" ?

With the alltek and I did move the jumpers on it to the right spot

#33 7 years ago

Omg I think that fixed it!!!!!!!

I changed the dipswitches on Alltek board to clear memory. Then put it back to Meteor, and it has proper sound....so far....play testing now....

I am forever grateful for all your help. If that was the problem all along. I wanna smack my head on the wall. But at least I learned alot about this era of game. Now I need a Stargazer and Quicksilver for beside it

#34 7 years ago

I did try and reset the original board too before all this. Must it must not have worked when I did it.

Is there any better feeling than getting a game working right!!! This game also had major problems with resetting the Meteor bank, but I fixed that by adjusting the lift rod on one end. Took a few tries.

Now I can treat the game to new rubber, rebuilt flips and a good scrub

#35 7 years ago

Play tested it a bunch. Sound and settings are working perfectly. First time I've had the game 100%

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdotcom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-sound-problem?tu=tomdotcom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.