By BarryMulvihill

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 7 years ago

heyo,
just aquired a meteor (my first SS to fix).

when i enter self test mode, i can get the burn in test to start. if i press button again, it enters lamp mode. if i press again, it enters display mode.
BUT HERES THE PROBLEM, no matter how many times i press button, it stays in display mode. i cannont get to steps 4 and 5 or to the bookeeping part.

love any hints as to why and what to do about this. im hoping its a simple issue. lol.
thanks in advance.
barry.

#2 7 years ago

Try pressing the button, and holding it for a couple seconds.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Try pressing the button, and holding it for a couple seconds.

Still just stays in the display test mode

#4 7 years ago

Not sure if it's connected but I should mention all three flippers do not work. Haven't solved that issue yet. The test after display test is the solinoid test. Any chance non functioning flippers keep machine from entering solinoid test?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from BarryMulvihill:

Not sure if it's connected but I should mention all three flippers do not work. Haven't solved that issue yet. The test after display test is the solinoid test. Any chance non functioning flippers keep machine from entering solinoid test?

No, not really. The CPU watches the test switch input and then advances to the next test. The MPU will then send signals to the SDB to fire the coils, regardless of whether the coil driver board is working or not.

In the first test, burn-in, hold down the flipper buttons on the cabinet. When it gets to Sol #.. uhm.. one of the last ones before sound, they should fire, then drop, as the flipper relay ('coil') enables then disables. Other than that, though, flippers have no interaction with the MPU.

Honestly, I'm not sure what else to check, other than:
(1) Replacing U10, as that is the PIA that watches the test switch, and/or
(2) Re-burning a ROM set, as it may be corrupt and not jumping to the code to continue the test. (Or, you have some strange custom code ROMs..)

#6 7 years ago

I wonder if U10 gets stuck in a mode where it ignores the CA1 input. I would try another PIA. You can rotate u10 and u11

#7 7 years ago

i rotated U10 and U11. also reseated the rom chips. all to no avial. same problem.

i guess ill buy two new pias and rom chips. keep ya posted if i get it fixed.
sill gotta fig out flippers not working too.
thank you for the hints
-barry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-self-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.