image.jpg
Meteor CC.jpg
IMG_20130410_135804.jpg
IMG_20130408_102230.jpg
image-982.jpg
image-939.jpg
image-167.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amboggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have had this game for several years, but never did anything with it other than wax it and replace the rings. There was already a lot of wear when I got it. After doing some work on a friends machine, I felt inspired to work on this one.

After cleaning and touchups, the plan is to use automotive clear over the field. I need to replace some of the bumper housing and some broken posts. These are the faceted posts, which are not available so I'm going to buy the similar ones and do some rearranging. Eventually I'll get to the cabinet.

The field has lots of imperfections and the clear could be seen as overkill, but I want to try it on this as a test.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Some Mylar had been put down at the missiles and taking it up brought paint with it.
image-939.jpgimage-939.jpg

Here are my touchups. The blues were hard to match.
image-167.jpgimage-167.jpg

Removed field.

image-982.jpgimage-982.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Having a "new" game will be nice with some different game play.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballlizard:

I did mine a couple years ago and love it with the clear. It is a fun machine. Good luck to you.

Were you able to fill in completely around the inserts?

That is one of concerns at the moment. I picked up my Spray Max today.

#11 10 years ago

Wow, the screen print on your playfield is wayyyy better than mine.

Mine looks like the screen printer was drunk.

#13 10 years ago

Got the playfield clear coated yesterday in the Spray Max. Stuff is really cool, but is nasty to work with, even with goggles and a respirator, I spent very little time in the spray booth to reduce exposure. If anyone is contemplating using it, please be safe.

I really wish my playfield had better screen printing alignment. The way it was made me not replace all the rings painted on the inserts and instead tried to leave them as crescents in the way they were worn away. A compromise I am stuck with, but I'm okay with it since it was a players machine already and this was something I wanted to try anyways.

Before

image.jpgimage.jpg

After

image-493.jpgimage-493.jpg

image-954.jpgimage-954.jpg

The last pic you can see my polar pop and windows in the reflection.

I may just leave it as is and not buff it out, I haven't decided.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

Which Spray Max did you use and how many coats were applied? Also how many cans did it take?

Spray Max 2k glamour clear. I did probably five coats using two cans, could have used a third can. Started out with a tack coat, let that flash, and then started hitting it up with thicker and thicker coats.

Something that you have to take care of are the inserts. Since some of them were dished or not filled in with the edge of the board, it caused there to be surface tension around the insert from the clear. To get around that you just move the can closer and hit those spots so they fill in and breaks that tension The clear coat will level out and since it is going to harden, putting it on too thick isn't as big a deal as something like polyurethane. Treating the inserts beforehand is another option.

If you already have a smooth surface, two cans may be enough. I bought mine from my local paint shop for $21 a can, there are online options too.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Zuel:

Hey I am fairly new at restoration and am wondering what do you mean when you say the "inserts don't line up with the rings" Are inserts the circular pieces of plastic that go over the round play field lights?

Inserts are the clear plastics in the field. The rings I was referring to were from the screen print, they were not aligned at the factory.

#20 10 years ago

Finally got the game back together with some new parts. After a few false starts from some bent switches, it is up and running. I need to get the pop bumper more sensitive, so it needs some adjustment. It still needs the cabinet repainted and I may do that over the summer.

Things I did:
Strip and touchup the playfield. The alignment was off so I didn't try to make it perfect.
Clear coated the playfield in Spray Max 2k. Used two cans and I wish I had used three to better sink the imperfections and inserts.
Replaced the pop bumpers.
Replaced the right slingshot arm.
Replaced some broken posts.
Replaced the rings.
Painted the coin door.

image-262.jpgimage-262.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-186.jpgimage-186.jpg

I bought a few LEDs to try out. That will be a future project.

2 weeks later
#24 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Looks great! What paint did you use for the coin door?

Thanks.

I used Rustoleum Hammered Silver.

I believe there is another recipie on the boards of matching that paint color from Stern that involves spraying two hammered paints. I didn't have the second color and just went with silver and I think it came out okay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amboggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-restoration?tu=amboggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.