• 315 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by oldschoolbob
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 212 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3309 (resized).JPG
IMG_3305 (resized).JPG
IMG_3300 (resized).JPG
IMG_3294 (resized).JPG
IMG_3292 (resized).JPG
IMG_3274 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
s-l400 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 revised (resized).jpg
S20190115_0003a (resized).jpg
S20190115_0002a (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
IMG_3235 (resized).JPG
after br monday (resized).jpg
after rectifer1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Corey,
I saw those PSU5's on Ebay and was wondering if they would work. When you jumper over the R50, do you just remove it and install a jumper wire or 0 ohm resistor?
I just ordered some of those from Ezsbc. Thanks.
Bob

A lot of current travels through that ground connection. I recommend pulling R50 and installing as heavy gauge wire as will fit into this location.
Smaller gauge wire can result in a tiny voltage drop through the wire which reduces the efficiency of the PSU5 regulator.
Ed

3 weeks later
#109 10 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Arrow has free shipping: https://www.arrow.com/en/terms-and-conditions/free-overnight-shipping
They are a very large electronic supplier, just like Mouser. Major corporations use them. I bought some transistors a week or so ago...yep - free shipping for a couple of dollars worth of parts.

Hey!
Gotta realize that many of the existing suppliers started out as small suppliers.
Jameco started out small company servicing hobbyists (many corps don't consider Jameco as a viable distributor but I won't go into that).
Mouser was started by a teacher who wanted to obtain electronic components for his students.
Digikey also started out as a very small company. As their name suggests - they started by selling parts to ham radio operators. If I remember right, they first started by selling digital keyers (keyboard to ham radio codes) using small ads in ham radio magazines.
Even Arrow started out as a small store but has become corporate distributor which has eaten other distributors (e.g. Pioneer and others).
These companies have been around for 50 to almost 90 years.

GPE has only been around for over 17 years with $M's in sales and has sold to many major corporations including Japan Airlines, Intel Corp, Cisco and several others. Unlike one of the companies listed above, we don't buy parts from Chinese sellers (such as UTSource & others) or through ebay or aliexpress. We are pickey about our parts sources in an effort to keep quality at a good level. We do represent a handful of companies (some of which are not yet on website) and have more companies coming (will be adding in another major manufacturer this month). So why has GPE not become a larger company? Answer = purely motivation. I feel that we're in a big enough market size where I'm kept busy (too busy) and have no motivation to grow larger at this time.

But that overnight shipping that Arrow is offering - now that is pretty dang good.

#111 10 months ago

Why 2000uF on input of series pass transistor and 15000uF cap on output of series pass transistor?
Just put the 15000uF cap on output of bridge and forgo the 2000uF caps.

Any idea as to what the 12V load current is intended to be? What is the transistor type. An NPN darlington can allow smaller base biasing which alleviates part of the power dissipation across R1.
With the way it is currently shown, that series pass transistor has to dissipate heat from that load current in addition to whatever load is for the LM323K. Normally you run these in parallel as shown in post 76. But don't place caps as shown in post 76. One 10000uF to 15000uF cap on input, period. Smaller caps at loads. Never hang a large electrolytic on the output of an LM323K without installing a reverse biased diode across the regulator to prevent capacitor from discharging into LM323K when power is switched off.

1 week later
#134 10 months ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

If you were building this would you use headers and connectors?
Thanks
Bob[quoted image][quoted image]

No... not good for this application with a steady state load.
I would wire direct. If you need connector-ized -- look more into something like a Keystone Electronics 7691 or 8191.
I use these all the time, you can't beat this type of connection.

8191 (resized).jpg
#137 10 months ago

Yes, ^ What he said. On a power supply - bigger is always better.
But in addition to that, always put the high current traces on the *bottom* side of the board.
And watch out for vias when transferring a trace from one side to the other, high current signals should have multiple, paralleled vias.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 157.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider G-P-E.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside