20201207_220135_HDR (resized).jpg
20201116_181514 (resized).jpg
20201008_224010_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_0459 (resized).jpg
waterslide_done (resized).jpeg
waterslide (resized).jpeg
kqga7x1 (resized).jpg
NZVbtA7 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a_bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 4 years ago

I debated getting one or rehabbing mine. Makes me glad I opted to restore. Looks like they just hit it with an auto vector program and didn't pay attention to any missing detail.

Worse than the missing detail is the careless choice of fonts. 5 minutes of research could find better matches than that. Ick.

They scan these things at very high resolution in order to work on them. A real shame they don't work hard to retain the detail, fonts and linework. To me that is the charm of pinball artwork.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I've always been bad with fonts, which ones did you notice?

The Advance & Score Rocket Value isn't a great match but decent. The problematic match could have been hidden by at least matching the density. It's too thin.

The one that absolutely grinds my gears is the SPOT METEOR lettering. Those chunky "S"s practically define classic Stern lettering to me.

Design is my field so I know I'm biased toward the details, but any half skilled Illustrator hack could have built that font for them if they couldn't match it.

1 week later
#74 4 years ago

Unfortunately if they add the numbers back they'll likely use incorrect fonts like they did elsewhere on their version. The oddness of the font kerning on the originals really requires some by-hand adjustment to be accurate. If working from a scan it is pretty easy.

I have a second draft of the numbers back to @coyote for testing. Hopefully we'll have these dialed in for printing very soon.

Anyone have a scan from a stripped Meteor at 150dpi or better? Might make the process a touch faster.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a stripped Meteor play field in fairly good shape. I also have a H-P see-thru scanner. What are you needing scans of? You want 600 dpi?

PM sent.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The question is - where do we stop? Obviously, this will take longer and increase cost.

Thankfully a good scan is coming. If it were my project I'd be adding back the rubber ring size notations and overlaying any fonts that are a lousy match (like the "Advance & Score" font). I don't know how far my involvement will go as I don't need the decals beyond good reference material for rehabbing my old beat up playfield. Obviously whatever resources I work on will be shared with Mike or any other interested parties.

In a perfect world we would have an archive of accurate vectored text for the entire game to help folks at any stage of restoration.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

a_bord - Think you can find a matching font for that? I can search if you're busy, no worries, but figured I'd check with you!

Yup. Looking at my PF I'd say it is just heavier versions of what we're using at the METEOR bank. Once I get the scan I'll do those, too.

2 weeks later
#105 4 years ago

Still all-in on my end, just waiting on the playfield scan. There were some tech issues that popped up and the first scan was lost. I'm confident I'll have a replacement soon.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am hoping to be able to make the scans and get them to a-bord in the next couple of days. I think you will be happy with the wait. While not perfect, it is a very nice Meteor play field.

@cottonm4, thanks for your tenacity and willingness to help out. I'm in for the long haul on creating better font assets so don't feel rushed. We'll get it done.

#119 4 years ago

"He never noticed, and nobody else did here... all the way through clearcoating, individual inspection and grading, and shipping."

I know the whole tone of CPRs response was to try to minimize the mistake but the above quote separated from all the redirection speaks volumes. Equally of note is how they will try to villainize Pinside folk when we hold them accountable for stuff like this, yet he uses our work to correct the error as another way to reduce his responsibility to correct it.

I love that there is a company doing pinball repros and I wish CPR the best, but I also believe in calling out a bad product.

2 months later
#166 3 years ago

Thanks for doing this, @coyote. There will be a lot more excellent Meteors out there for it.

4 weeks later
#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Anoter follow-up.
I am going to be having another sheet of the Rocket DT Text decals. If you want one, please let me know.

Print an extra and ship it to CPR since they can't figure out how to fix it.

#187 3 years ago

If roles were reversed it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a_bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-playfield-reproductions-coming?tu=a_bord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.