20201207_220135_HDR (resized).jpg
20201116_181514 (resized).jpg
20201008_224010_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_0459 (resized).jpg
waterslide_done (resized).jpeg
waterslide (resized).jpeg
kqga7x1 (resized).jpg
NZVbtA7 (resized).jpg
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Received a nice email from Kevin at CPR. He gave the reason for this and said it is not uncommon. It happens because of the cure rate and moisture in the board. I guess I will live with it. Not really noticeable unless looking top down with bright light.

I'm sorry for the amount of money you spent on a new playfield, you shouldn't have to live with it... this should have never shipped and if it did it should for a reduced rate or partial refund... not for the price of a Gold playfield. but "no playfield is perfect" its bad enough they messed up the fonts.

#202 3 years ago

Don't sweat the petty things
Just pet the sweaty things

Play it like you stole it and enjoy what ya got. it's alright

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I ordered a gold meteor CPR a few months back and am now ready to install. Take a look at this pic. Anyone else have this issue with their pf - notice the grain in the clear. The whole pf is like that.
[quoted image]

Mine looks like that also. I'm about to send my playfield out to get the Meteor water slides put down and re-cleared. Hopefully it looks better after. The whole playfield is has the woodgrain look.

20201008_224010_HDR (resized).jpg20201008_224010_HDR (resized).jpg
#204 3 years ago

Fucking a will CPR accept a return?

3 weeks later
#205 3 years ago

Hey guys, wanted to give an update.

After talking to Kruzman, the decals ARE too thin. Because of this, they need special care when applying and clearing over.

I apologize, as I based the thickness after speaking to the printer, and not consulting with restorers (like Kruzman or Neo). He told me he was able to get the scores on, but had issues with the sanding.

So, having said that, if anyone wants to return the decals they got from me, I will offer refunds. I feel bad, but it's the right thing to do. I am currently talking with the printer - AND Kruzman - to see if a thicker film that is available will work.

If, in the meantime, anyone wants or needs the artwork, let me know. I don't mind sharing it - it's a join effort between A_Bord and myself, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind.

#206 3 years ago

Your efforts are appreciated! Hopefully someone will be able to find a fix, I think it is well worth it! Thanks for the update!

1 week later
#207 3 years ago

Coyote I'd be happy with some reverse printed mylar that I can just slap on the new playfield and not worry about adding more clear coat on my new playfield

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys, wanted to give an update.
After talking to Kruzman, the decals ARE too thin. Because of this, they need special care when applying and clearing over.
I apologize, as I based the thickness after speaking to the printer, and not consulting with restorers (like Kruzman or Neo). He told me he was able to get the scores on, but had issues with the sanding.
So, having said that, if anyone wants to return the decals they got from me, I will offer refunds. I feel bad, but it's the right thing to do. I am currently talking with the printer - AND Kruzman - to see if a thicker film that is available will work.
If, in the meantime, anyone wants or needs the artwork, let me know. I don't mind sharing it - it's a join effort between a_bord and myself, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind.

I sent my playfield to Neo last week. I told him what you said about the decals being thin hopefully it comes out ok.
My playfield looks even worse now after sitting for several months. Inserts have sunk in a bit and you see nothing but wood grain on the whole playfield.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I sent my playfield to Neo last week. I told him what you said about the decals being thin hopefully it comes out ok.
My playfield looks even worse now after sitting for several months. Inserts have sunk in a bit and you see nothing but wood grain on the whole playfield.

Inserts sunk? I think I would’ve sent it back to CPR.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Let me know how he does, and any comments he has on them, please!

#211 3 years ago

Here's my end result. There's a couple layers of clear over it. I had to paint over some digits that got washed away, and I'm not the most skilled painter, so it's not perfect, but if you're more than 2ft away, it looks just fine. A player would never notice it unless they were looking for it (heck, I didn't even notice the freaking numbers were *missing* for the first month I had the pf)

Edit: to elaborate, I painted over some digits, then added more CC. Probably going to add at least 2 more coats and do some sanding to remove that slight orange peel I got going.

20201116_181514 (resized).jpg20201116_181514 (resized).jpg

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

I had to paint over some digits that got washed away

Wait, *washed away*? Can I ask what clear you are/were using? That's.. a new outcome!

(Looks good though. Despite the missing text on CPR's fuckup, the colors are bright and crisp.)

#213 3 years ago

The idea of a reverse printed mylar is incredibly attractive. I hope someone knows how to do this!!

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

The idea of a reverse printed mylar is incredibly attractive. I hope someone knows how to do this!!

Someone asked me about it too, and it's harder than it sounds, because of the adhesive - applying it after the fact requires special equipment (and/or, the mylar sheets pre-cut), and there really isn't a *clean* way to print on adhesive. Heh.

While I admit I'm talking to a couple companies right now, it is VERY slim chances I'll be able to do anything - for two reasons: First, other than negotiating and finding contractors (with my other job in the railroad industry), this is outside of my wheelhouse. I know basic printing processes, spot colors, CMYK and all the fun stuff, but industry and company and methodology knowledge is very limited. Second, cost. I am familiar with the idea that 'you can do ANYTHING if you have enough money!', and I really REALLY do not see there being enough interest to cover the cost of a sheet of these if I can get them made. (I mean, in theory, they could be as high as $600 for a sheet. Or worse, $1k for 10 sheets.) When running customs things, quantity greatly affects price, of course.

A few folks have asked for artwork, and I will be sending out EPS files to those that asked, as said before- I'm not copyrighting it, and A_Bord gets a LOT of the credit for finding a good/exact matching font. I just aligned them to fit and made them print-compatible.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wait, *washed away*? Can I ask what clear you are/were using? That's.. a new outcome!

I mentioned it in a previous post; I'm actually not sure if it was naptha or clear coat that lifted/washed away some of the ink on the decals. I was using VM&P naptha, and spraymax 2k clear glamour high gloss CC in a rattle can. Note that the decals also wrinkled up when the CC was first applied, but flattened back out nicely before the CC set.

#216 3 years ago

Didn't some people just apply the water slide and then mylar over it? That would be just as good and the mylar would be pretty hard to see. Id be up for that!

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

I mentioned it in a previous post; I'm actually not sure if it was naptha or clear coat that lifted/washed away some of the ink on the decals. I was using VM&P naptha, and spraymax 2k clear glamour high gloss CC in a rattle can. Note that the decals also wrinkled up when the CC was first applied, but flattened back out nicely before the CC set.

Ohoh! I missed that, apologies! Yeah, I believe that would be the Naptha, honestly. Despite that, your work looks pretty darn good. Thanks for letting me know.

Quoted from ibis:

Didn't some people just apply the water slide and then mylar over it? That would be just as good and the mylar would be pretty hard to see. Id be up for that!

Yeah, I know a few that have done this, and believe someone even posted a pic here earlier, it looks just fine (and the thin deals don't leave a 'raised' lip under the mylar.)

2 weeks later
#218 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Let me know how he does, and any comments he has on them, please!

Just got my playfield back from Neo and it looks Great! Decals are perfect. Neo got the playfield smooth as glass now. Like I said it was looking terrible when I sent it in, lots of woodgrain showing.

Time to start restoring the cabinet I guess.

20201207_214504 (resized).jpg20201207_214504 (resized).jpg20201207_215145_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_215145_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_215211_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_215211_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_220135_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_220135_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_221452_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_221452_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_221506_HDR (resized).jpg20201207_221506_HDR (resized).jpg
#219 3 years ago

Wow! Looks great.

#220 3 years ago

Do you mind me asking what that ran $ wise?

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Just got my playfield back from Neo and it looks Great! Decals are perfect. Neo got the playfield smooth as glass now. Like I said it was looking terrible when I sent it in, lots of woodgrain showing.
Time to start restoring the cabinet I guess.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Freakin' awesome!!

1 week later
#222 3 years ago

I'm trying to convince myself I prefer the cleaner look without the numbers lol

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I'm trying to convince myself I prefer the cleaner look without the numbers lol

There's no way I would replace my PF with those errors/omissions

4 months later
#224 2 years ago

Kind of feel like I'm bringing this back from the dead, but... Now that I'm seeing all of the things that are BAD with this playfield, I'm questioning how I want to move forward. I was just going to take mine (I'm doing everything on behalf of my friend, who actually now owns my old Meteor, so just know that when I say "me" or "I", I really mean him..but I'm doing it on his behalf) and have it recleared, but I have pretty much every single one of the issues noted above and now it pains me to look at some of this.

Coyote is it possible to get in on a waiting list for decals, or has that ship completely sailed? I'd be in for any/all that are available. I reached out to Kruzman but I don't even know if he's taking on new work at this time. I had heard a bit ago that he was more or less leaving the scene (hopefully untrue!) so I'm just not sure. I want to make this 'right' for my friend and not just slap lipstick on it and call it a day. Ultimately I know he'll be happier if a bit more effort is put into making this what it really should have been straight from CPR.

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Kind of feel like I'm bringing this back from the dead, but... Now that I'm seeing all of the things that are BAD with this playfield, I'm questioning how I want to move forward. I was just going to take mine (I'm doing everything on behalf of my friend, who actually now owns my old Meteor, so just know that when I say "me" or "I", I really mean him..but I'm doing it on his behalf) and have it recleared, but I have pretty much every single one of the issues noted above and now it pains me to look at some of this.
Coyote is it possible to get in on a waiting list for decals, or has that ship completely sailed? I'd be in for any/all that are available. I reached out to Kruzman but I don't even know if he's taking on new work at this time. I had heard a bit ago that he was more or less leaving the scene (hopefully untrue!) so I'm just not sure. I want to make this 'right' for my friend and not just slap lipstick on it and call it a day. Ultimately I know he'll be happier if a bit more effort is put into making this what it really should have been straight from CPR.

Decals have been made. I may have one or two left on hand, if you're interested. I will need to check and make sure.

AFAIK, Kruzman is still doing fields, but he's good, and in high demand. You may be waiting a year or so. (Again, I can't speak for him, heh, just saying based on what I have heard/know.)

#226 2 years ago

Just a FYI the new batch of Meteor play fields are listed on CPR and they include the number values at the drops. Not sure about anything else listed in this thread, but that was the most glaring issue.

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from ibis:

Just a FYI the new batch of Meteor play fields are listed on CPR and they include the number values at the drops. Not sure about anything else listed in this thread, but that was the most glaring issue.

Well, now that I've paid someone to apply decals and reclear, if they were going to offer a trade back, I wouldn't take it. At least I got the last PF they were going to do silkscreening on, I guess. The other issues don't really bother me, but missing text is pretty bad.

Good that they corrected it though.

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Well, now that I've paid someone to apply decals and reclear, if they were going to offer a trade back, I wouldn't take it. At least I got the last PF they were going to do silkscreening on, I guess. The other issues don't really bother me, but missing text is pretty bad.
Good that they corrected it though.

At least according to the pictures on the CPR website...it looks like ONLY those score values were added. The rest of the..... meh.... items... appear to still be there.

#229 2 years ago

At least according to the pictures on the CPR website...it looks like ONLY those score values were added. The rest of the..... meh.... items... appear to still be there.

Looking at the overlaid colors in the main Meteor thread, I'm wondering if CPR's one single donor playfield was screened improperly, with one of the colors (the purple there) on TOP of the black, instead of under it. Since CPR admitted they only use one of each thing to base their repros off of (which is how we got the horrid wrong backglass originally), I would not be surprised if the field they had based the repros off of had this overlay like that.

#230 2 years ago

Im just finishing up the Meteor swap I have. After redoing the entire game top to bottom stencils, new backglass, CPR playfield, and many many hours, it is disappointing to see the things CPR missed. I will say it looks pretty dam good after playing beater Meteors for years. Its all shiny and looks brand new and plays really really fast.

Mike

2 months later
#231 2 years ago

For the record, today my last Score decal was sold.

I ONLY have one set (3) of the Rocket DT decals left. Doubt I'll get any more made, since CPR seems to have fixed their misprint.

#232 2 years ago

Thanks the decal worked great on my restore. I just covered with a strip of Mylar.

Quoted from Coyote:

I ONLY have one set (3) of the Rocket DT decals left. Doubt I'll get any more made, since CPR seems to have fixed their misprint.

#233 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Can I snag a set of the rocket DT decals? I thought I was getting a set of those but must not have been very clear -- my bad!

#234 2 years ago

Can I snag a set of the rocket DT decals? I thought I was getting a set of those but must not have been very clear -- my bad!

Sure thing! Send me a PM with your address!

So that means, I'm out. I technically have a SINGLE Rocket DT decal, but one isn't very useful to anyone. Glad these have gone to folks working on restoring these Meteors.

1 month later
#235 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me what black paint they used for the cabinet? I just ordered some stencils. I've finished the playfield it was in bad shape and clear coated it. Time this machine goes back togetther , it's been to long. Cheers

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from Sawyer10702:

Can anyone tell me what black paint they used for the cabinet? I just ordered some stencils. I've finished the playfield it was in bad shape and clear coated it. Time this machine goes back togetther , it's been to long. Cheers

You may have better luck posting this in the Meteor game thread, as this is for the playfield, and the ink they used on the eplayfield has nothing to do with what they used on the cabinet.

3 weeks later
#237 2 years ago

I am really enjoying the new code for the Meteor and the score numbers would be meaningless,I was upset about what was left off,but now I don't care,the new code is great,can't see playing the old game very often

3 weeks later
#238 2 years ago
Quoted from Svendtube:

I am really enjoying the new code for the Meteor and the score numbers would be meaningless,I was upset about what was left off,but now I don't care,the new code is great,can't see playing the old game very often

Svendtube I also plan on using the new code and rules set available - what do the drop targets score in the new code?

I just took my CPR Meteor playfield out of the box (I think I was one of the first to get one) as I am now at last ready to do the swap. I was dismayed to find that the woodgrain is now clearly visible and I can also feel it with my hand. Do you think the grain will be an issue going forward or can I just leave alone? I really don't want to have to add clearcoat, but think I may have to go that route now.

I was also disappointed to find out last night that the 3 bank drop target slot is not long enough for repro drop targets with the hat on top - I plan on keeping the originals in there so it shouldn't be a problem unless one breaks....

#239 2 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I just took my CPR Meteor playfield out of the box (I think I was one of the first to get one) as I am now at last ready to do the swap. I was dismayed to find that the woodgrain is now clearly visible and I can also feel it with my hand.

My experience is identical. I will send it out for some sanding and a reclear. I should add that I need to have the missing score text added via decal as well (Thanks, Cottonm!). Once you've seen it, you'll always notice it, or at least that's how it works for me.

Steve

1 month later
#240 2 years ago

Who has scans of the entire playfield? Maybe it is time to redo this one...

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from woz:

what do the drop targets score in the new code?

I think they score the same typically, but when you start a mode and have to shoot the different missiles, or when you complete the orpheus challenger, all the scoring is increased.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Looking at the overlaid colors in the main Meteor thread, I'm wondering if CPR's one single donor playfield was screened improperly, with one of the colors (the purple there) on TOP of the black, instead of under it. Since CPR admitted they only use one of each thing to base their repros off of (which is how we got the horrid wrong backglass originally), I would not be surprised if the field they had based the repros off of had this overlay like that.

I snapped a side by side when I did my Meteor swap a few months back. The only issue I had was that the #3 drop target opening was 0.3" smaller on the repro than on my playfield. I let CPR know and they adjusted their cad file for future runs. You can see some of the fine details from the screen printing were lost when it was vectorized, but all in all I think it's fine. I didn't have any clear coat issues other than a tiny dust nib that didn't rise to the level of justifying sanding it down and applying another coat of 2PAC.

IMG_2064.JPGIMG_2064.JPG

#243 2 years ago

...Also if you are wondering what happened to my original playfield, I used it to practice touch ups and clear coating on. It's now some fancy wall art.

IMG_2893 (resized).JPGIMG_2893 (resized).JPGIMG_2894 (resized).JPGIMG_2894 (resized).JPG
#244 2 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Svendtube I also plan on using the new code and rules set available - what do the drop targets score in the new code?
I just took my CPR Meteor playfield out of the box (I think I was one of the first to get one) as I am now at last ready to do the swap. I was dismayed to find that the woodgrain is now clearly visible and I can also feel it with my hand. Do you think the grain will be an issue going forward or can I just leave alone? I really don't want to have to add clearcoat, but think I may have to go that route now.
I was also disappointed to find out last night that the 3 bank drop target slot is not long enough for repro drop targets with the hat on top - I plan on keeping the originals in there so it shouldn't be a problem unless one breaks....

I had a similar issue with my CPR meteor. It showed wood grain and the score values were missing from the METEOR drop targets. When I contacted CPR they said the grain was typical. No response to the missing score values. For the score values I bought water slip decals and covered with a small piece of mylar.

#245 2 years ago

CPR has fixed the Score Values on the Meteor playfield........
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/meteor-playfield/

Quoted from StratDoc:

and the score values were missing from the METEOR drop targets

#246 2 years ago

Doesn't help him.

#247 2 years ago

I got one of the new repros from CPR and am very happy with it.

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I got one of the new repros from CPR and am very happy with it.

Same here. Mine was pretty good. Plays way faster than original

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-playfield-reproductions-coming/page/5?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.