(Topic ID: 112678)

Meteor or Chasing LED strips Low cost ideas?

By OLDPINGUY

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111655-i.jpg
    84148-i.jpg
    IMG_23456749079754.jpeg
    #1 9 years ago

I am toying with the idea of stocking some meteor strips.
    Perhaps you have seen the Icicle Meteor Christmas Outdoor decorations.

At this time they would be in an assortment of single colors, 12V, and likely make sense
    to tie to a flasher.

Like 3 feet, for $10-$12, if volume, maybe all under $10

(RGB controlled, as others have shown, are another project)

Id love them along the sideboards, but lifting the playfield...It wont work? right?

Shooting lane wood...thats OK?

All colors, black background.

Anywhere else to use?

Any ideas?

Worthwhile to stock?

LMK your thoughts and ideas....Thank you for this help!

#2 9 years ago

I have played with this a bit in the shooter lane. For me anything chasing or interactive in that location just does not work for me, too distracting. It is not bad when you tie it in so it only chases when the shooter lane switch is triggered. I find a simple solid color works the best.

IMG_23456749079754.jpegIMG_23456749079754.jpeg 84148-i.jpg84148-i.jpg 111655-i.jpg111655-i.jpg
    #3 9 years ago

not sure what "chasing" means to different people, I've put LED strips up the shooter lane and the reflections off the ball gives a pretty good chasing effect. "animated" "chasing" EL-wire is pretty neat stuff to play with too, if you've seen it. I think a fast strobe focused right up the shooter lane firing one second at 8-10hz would be a pretty cool visual if it hadn't already been done, any color filter could be put in front of it for different schemes.

#4 9 years ago

Get some to test first... I tried an automotive one that was about a foot long and it would only blink the first 2 leds because it needed the power on longer to actually chase. Like at least 1 second for one complete chase. It was tied to a flasher. May need some additional components to get these timed right.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the input, guys.

It appears that the shooter lane is about the only location....really only good for a handful
    of games. It sure would have been nice if all games had some more side clearance for mirror blades, vinyl art, LED strips, etc without worrying about scraping them up.

In sleeping on this...I couldnt think of anything else, either.....hmm......

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-or-chasing-led-strips-low-cost-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.