Meteor MPU won't boot past 3rd flash

By chaosrooster

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 3 years ago

Hello, I have a project Meteor I've been rebuilding and trying to bring back from the dead. Initially when powered on, the game would flash 7 times on the MPU however no control lamps worked, the GI would not light on the pf, and only a few would light up on the back box. Sometimes you could start a game other times not. Checking voltages I discovered the bridge rectifier board was bad, TP 1 and it was either TP 3 or TP 4 had 0 readings on my DMM. I rebuilt the board replacing header pins, diodes, bridge rectifiers, fuse clips, and resistors. I also repinned new connectors on J1, J2, and J3 going to the board. Now when I turn the machine on, the voltages are good on the rectifier board but the MPU only flashes 3 times and won't boot further. All GI lights are lighting up on the pf and back box and some random control lamps light up and stay on. I thought I might have a bad 5101 chip at U8 on the MPU since I'm stuck at the 3rd flash, however I swapped boards using a new Alltek MPU I have and it's still not getting past the 3rd flash so I'm not sure it's an MPU issue. Wondering if I should just completely replace the bridge rectifier board with a brand new one or perhaps repin the connectors again. Thoughts? Any input is certainly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

Does the MPU board get to 7 flashes when you disconnect J1, J2 and J3 from the MPU board?

If yes, plug one connector back in at a time to find the subsystem causing the issue - you'll likely have a short circuit on a signal which can cause the U10 PIA chip to fail the MPU LED test on powerup.
Most commonly happens when a playfield switch is shorted to a lamp socket.

#3 3 years ago

The Fakers Guide: no fourth flash means U10 (6821 PIA) is bad.

So yes, pull everything not needed to boot (pull the right side cables). If it still happens, debug from:

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm#flash

Search that page for: "The MPU Diagnostic LED Flash Sequences Explained."

#4 3 years ago

If it boots with only J4 on the MPU make sure MPU j1 is not getting swapped with a lamp driver board connector. I have seen that happen a few times and it will cause the PIA test to fail.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I unplugged J1, J2, and J3 as directed and the game booted 7 flashes. Plugging them back in one by one J2 was the culprit. Pf inspection found a diode on one of the left slingshot switches was bent and touching the adjacent lamp socket. That appears to be the problem as I adjusted it and the game now boots with J2 plugged in.

Nice to see this thing finally up and running. Started a game and some drop target switches are misbehaving so I'm going to try and sort that out now. I appreciate the help thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-mpu-won-t-boot-past-3rd-flash?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.