(Topic ID: 172083)

Meteor Lower Left Bank Freaking out - loudly!

By bdPinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stn_assembly (resized).jpg
IMG_4655 (resized).JPG
IMG_4653 (resized).JPG
IMG_4652 (resized).JPG
IMG_4651 (resized).JPG
IMG_4650 (resized).JPG
IMG_4649 (resized).JPG
IMG_4648 (resized).JPG
IMG_4647 (resized).JPG
images (resized).jpg
IMG_4498 (resized).JPG
IMG_4490 (resized).JPG
IMG_4487 (resized).JPG
IMG_4486 (resized).JPG
IMG_4484 (resized).JPG
DSCF1562 (resized).JPG
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

The lower left target bank has never been right. the leftmost target always just fell, and the other two targets would be the ones that registered. Well, now the lower left set of targets just goes bananas, it keeps scoring, and resetting, and scoring and resetting ad infinum, or until I get sick of it. While that's happening, the other set of targets doesn't reset. None of the switches on the drop targets are incorrectly contacting - I'm going to guess that it's one or more of those diodes on the switches - they look like they're original. Thoughts?

Oh, on this game, once in a while the game will just go crazy and the sound is so loud you can hear it down the block - even when you turn DOWN the pot. It usually only lasts a few seconds, but by the time it quits or whatever I've already turned the stupid thing off.

Thanks guys.

-Brian

#2 7 years ago

Need to know a little of the background on this game, has it ever been gone through thoroughly (electronics). Rebuilt power supply? Changed logic supply filter capacitor? repinned connectors?

With only the information presented, I would suggest testing the switch matrix at the CPU to determine if this is a board problem or a playfield problem. If it turns out to be a playfield problem, I'd rebuild all those drops so they are smooth as butter mechanically, and with new diodes and possibly new switches (or at least cleaned and adjusted). Meteor is all about drops, and they have to work superb.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Need to know a little of the background on this game, has it ever been gone through thoroughly (electronics). Rebuilt power supply? Changed logic supply filter capacitor? repinned connectors?
With only the information presented, I would suggest testing the switch matrix at the CPU to determine if this is a board problem or a playfield problem. If it turns out to be a playfield problem, I'd rebuild all those drops so they are smooth as butter mechanically, and with new diodes and possibly new switches (or at least cleaned and adjusted). Meteor is all about drops, and they have to work superb.

Gone through? No, not by credible people. The game has been flaky since I got it - a story for another day. It appears to have been played to death, and then hacked on by someone who didn't know too much, they had taken off the secondary flipper switch and wired the upper flipper to the first flipper directly. Secondary re-installed, flipper working correctly. This I think is indicative of the work done on this machine though, if it has been done it's likely it wasn't done correctly. But that's all in the past now...this is my foster pinball machine.

I shall fix the target bank, and then get out the butter and silk for comparison when I'm done. I'll report back.

Oh, re filter cap, I almost replaced that filter cap earlier, but there was some question as to whether a larger than specified cap would be a problem, most people seem to think no, but since it hadn't out right broken, I thought I'd leave well enough alone until a) more information came available on my larger cap plugging and playing, or b) it stopped working altogether.

Thanks!

-B

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Oh, re filter cap, I almost replaced that filter cap earlier, but there was some question as to whether a larger than specified cap would be a problem

No, you can go larger, just never smaller. In one of my games I had the same cap as shown in this pic from the online repair guides...a 15000 uf 20V cap.

badcap3 (resized).jpgbadcap3 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I bet left nut most of the connector pins are cracked at the solder joints ,on MPU and the other boards including the power supply too.
This causes all types of switch problems and locks up etc ,
Replace them don't try to just reflow the joints , the corrosion won't let the fresh solder take , so best to replace headers and new crimp connectors to on the wires.
This takes some time to do , But you will end up with a more reliable game .
The Target bank problem could be mis adjusted and or dirty switches.
good luck with the Meteor

#6 7 years ago

Did you try a switch test on the Game?
Press the self test button 4 times. that will get into the switch test .
Reset all the Target banks and remove the ball ,
You should get 00 on a display if none of the switches are stuck closed.
The lower left bank switch no's are 19-21.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Replace them don't try to just reflow the joints , the corrosion won't let the fresh solder take , so best to replace headers and new crimp connectors to on the wires.

Just got home, read the messages. I'll get to testing and replacing that cap. WOW! That's a huge one!! Mine is a higher rating, but smaller package.

If I remember correctly they are NOT the .156s that I just bought a Butt load of? Why can't all the games be made from a standard set of parts. Is it at least the same crimper?

I went to get diodes from Radio Shack. WHOH!! 1.25 a piece?? Holy cow! I guess the electronic business is catch-as-catch can in the local retail market. I guess I'll
Stock up on those and whatever connector I'll need for stem/Bally boards. AND get a decent sized bag of diodes too.

Is t normal to have a $75 a month or better bill with Marco/BAM? I guess it's less costly than boating.

-B

#8 7 years ago

Oh heavens..don't buy retail electronic parts. You can get 1N4004 general purpose diodes for about $.06 each if you buy them in a quantity of 100 from an electronics distributor like Newark, maybe even cheaper elsewhere. Just use Marco for very "pinball specific" items.

Yeah, that cap is a huge package. Most of the time I use much smaller packages than that. This much more commonly:

cap-01 (resized).jpgcap-01 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I walked out of the radio shack. Yes, I have an order on some place on amazon. I got some shampoo too!

Okay. Tested all the switches, the all read perfectly. It really don't think it's a switch adjustment problem.

What I DID discover however is that the lower set of targets works fine as long as the upper set of targets is set. It's only when you knock down the upper left bank that the lower left bank startes resetting over and over again even though it never dropped. Then it scores each reset since even after I manually reset the upper left bank, it takes a few seconds to catch up. So- WHY is it getting confused about resetting the two banks?

Another topic, but related I guess -is it normal for the targets to be numbered 2-3-1? I noticed both sets of switches on the left side SEEMED like they were out of order, but, since both of them are like that I figured that must be how it comes?

Finally, what about the EXTREMELY LOUD noises it makes sometimes? I remembered on my Bally Spy Hunter, which seems to have the same hardware, it had a second potentiometer for the sound in the back box. I turned that one down too in hopes of quieting it down, but sometimes it still screeches.

This game played pretty good before I left for vacation a week ago.. Not perfect, but it was fun to play..

-B

#10 7 years ago

Hmmm. This target thing is sounding more and more like a logic problem with the MPU as this conversation continues. If the switch test passes perfectly, something awry on the MPU board is signalling the reset solenoids to fire repeatedly. Could be a lot of things, so a little difficult to pinpoint on the forum...but we'll keep at it.

Check all the coils in coil test, I'm pretty sure they are ok...if the coil is firing to reset the targets that tells you that the output circuit, driving transistor, are working ok. I am approaching this similar to what mission control said to the Apollo 13 crew when all their systems were in a state of havoc - he proposed they start by listing everything that worked.

Volume controls are not going to solve the sudden loud noise problem, except for saving your sanity by lowering its level. This could be related to the drop target problem. If the MPU is sending some erroneous signals to fire the coils it could also be sending erroneous signals to the sound circuitry. Has the MPU board ever had corrosion? Any signs that has been cleaned before? The battery is removed from the MPU, correct? Another thing you may try is to firmly seat any socketed ICs (corrects for the phenomenon known as "chip creep") You might remove the MPU board and inspect front and back, post some clear pictures of the board out here in the thread as well. A beneficial test, if possible, would be to buy/borrow another MPU board even if temporary. Substituting a known working board would confirm that we are dealing with a problem isolated to the MPU board.

As far as the target numbers are concerned, are you saying the target faces within a bank are mixed numerals? They should be grouped as "1's", "2's" and "3's" on each bank.

image-28 (resized).jpgimage-28 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

When I did the coil test the other day, it seemed strange. I swear I'd run it before, and it was very straight forward, 1-20, or whateve rit was, and the coils would fire in order- the targets would go down in order (meteor), but it seems like it wasn't working right. I'll run the coil test again this evening and see what I come up with.

Target #s. No, the numbers printed on the targets are correct, it's the CPU's values of those targets. When you knock them down in order, 1,2,3, on the same target bank, the Test switches go in an odd order, like 21, 23, and then 22. not 21, 22, and 23 consecutively. The middle target switch number is out of order.

I don't recall seeing any acid damage on the board. You could be right, it could be an MPU problem, and the game could be further cooked than I thought, but since it was working (not perfectly, but it was playable) and now, a week later it acts so bizarrely. Such is the nature of pinball machines.

I'll keep plugging away. I have an EBD next to the Meteor. That's my only other Bally/Stern of that era at the moment. I have ancient EMs, and Newer System 11 stuff, but no other boards. Would the system board from the EBD work for this test? I really hate involving known GOOD hardware in swapping situations. When I was a kid I sort of got the idea that boards almost had viruses that could pass from hardware to hardware. Even now I am SO careful when I plug things in not to plug them in backwards, or somehow bend the pins, or any of the dozen other things that can thwart a diagnostic process.

I suppose I could just unplug the speaker for now, It's a cart before the horse type of issue. It's so loud I cant' turn it on to begin debugging it!

Thanks guys. I'll get pics to confirm acid/no acid.

-Brian

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

No, the numbers printed on the targets are correct, it's the CPU's values of those targets. When you knock them down in order, 1,2,3, on the same target bank, the Test switches go in an odd order, like 21, 23, and then 22. not 21, 22, and 23 consecutively. The middle target switch number is out of order.

Yeah, that is correct. If you look at the switch matrix in the manual, the column with the left top switch bank, consecutively down the column they refer to the targets as "top", then "low", then "mid" - which gives you an order of 19,21,20 if you were to drop them manually.

Borrowing a board from a good working game can be a little risky. I've done it a few times, myself. It's helpful troubleshooting...BUT, you do have to be very careful with transferring software ICs, and replacing cables. You also need some confidence in the other circuitry of the broken game, that you don't have a problem elsewhere in the game that could damage your working board. If you are not comfortable with it, don't do it then. You don't need to wind up with two broken games.

#13 7 years ago

The odd switches sequence are right . If you have a manual , It shows the lower left bottom target is 23, middle 24 and top target 22 , same on the middle left bank the number 20 bottom , 21 middle and 19 on the top .
far right bank bottom 10, middle 11,and top target is 9
So sounds like your switches are working correctly.

#14 7 years ago

Bad 5101 chip?

#15 7 years ago

I don't want to sidetrack this thread (I'm very interested because I have sound issues on a Meteor I just acquired) but I have a question about the wiring for the mpu A4J3. My switches all register correctly in test mode. The coils, however, don't fire correctly. I've verified the coils are good (going to ground each coil fires just fine). I have studied the switch matrix wiring and I think whoever had this before has it wired up incorrectly. For instance, firing the pop bumper causes the M drop target to drop. Other coils won't fire at all. Right slingshot switch causes one of the drop target banks to reset. Just all messed up.
Can you please (oh please) take a photo of A4J3 wiring and identify all the wire colors and pin location?
Thanks!!!

#16 7 years ago

Regarding the .10 Connectors-

If it was 5101, that would be cool, because I happen to have some of those!

---

When I was looking at it a few minutes ago, I discovered that the RIGHT target bank has the same sort of relationship that the left two banks have. When you drop the Lower Right bank of 3, the Meteor Bank starts resetting just the way the left lower bank keeps resetting until you reset the upper left bank!

Somethings sounds wonky with a switch matrix or something- This one causes that one, and on the other side versa-visa.. It sounds like some odd logic problem that might be caused by a malfunctioning switch matrix, or- ?? I haven't had cause to print the manual out yet, but I guess I do now.

Regarding the Pins on the CPU board, I HAVE pins for the 156s, so I'll have a look at those, but I do not have the .1s. Is it probably the female plugs need to be redone as well? I may have to wait a few weeks to get another batch of stuff from GPE..

-Brian

#17 7 years ago

I'm gonna ask something silly..

When you go into the test mode, and watch the targets reset, are they firing *in the right order*? The order should be -
1 Targets Up
2 Targets Up
M, E, T, E, O, R memory drop.
METEOR Up
3 Targets Up

I ask because if a normally-operating game loses a wire from a reset coil, the game will attempt to reset the targets quickly like you're saying. In this case, from what you describe, it sounds like the game is trying to reset the 2 or 3 drop targets, but is firing the wrong coil. So the coil continues to fire over and over, scoring because the game thinks the targets dropped again.

IMHO, it sounds more like an address issue with the MPU sending commands to the solenoid driver board.

#18 7 years ago

When I watched it go through the coil test - No. It wasn't in any regular order at all! If figured I must have done something wrong, or not had it on the right test, or the Fiz-Bit was up, I don't know. Anyway, I'll try that coil test again, and hopefully I'll get some more reasonable results.

-Brian

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

I don't want to sidetrack this thread (I'm very interested because I have sound issues on a Meteor I just acquired) but I have a question about the wiring for the mpu A4J3. My switches all register correctly in test mode. The coils, however, don't fire correctly. I've verified the coils are good (going to ground each coil fires just fine). I have studied the switch matrix wiring and I think whoever had this before has it wired up incorrectly. For instance, firing the pop bumper causes the M drop target to drop. Other coils won't fire at all. Right slingshot switch causes one of the drop target banks to reset. Just all messed up.
Can you please (oh please) take a photo of A4J3 wiring and identify all the wire colors and pin location?
Thanks!!!

Hope this helps . This is from my project meteor. They havent been re pinned yet!

DSCF1563 (resized).JPGDSCF1563 (resized).JPG

DSCF1562 (resized).JPGDSCF1562 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Confirmed - the switch test is fine, the Coil test on the other hand is - AFU. I haven't confirmed every solenoid yet, but for instance, both coil 4 & 5 both reset the lower left bank, and both 1 & 3, fire the knocker. It seems like it fires the coil when it's supposed to as well, but, the next

It seems like MOST if not all of the other coils have a problem. I guess all the Qs could have gone out at the same time, but I'd think it's something central- U2 74LS154? Thats at the root of it all... Someone else? If I do end up replacing that chip, it looks like it sorely needs a socket!

Oh, and I took some pictures. I'll post them. I remember thinking when I got it that it had some acid damage, but, I guess the lower right side of the CPU board just looks sort of funky.

#21 7 years ago

Thanks Ralph67, for the pic. All my wiring connections look to be correct. I'm having a very similar coil firing problem like Brian.
I'm just starting on this Meteor. Just starting to get it operational. This is a project machine. I put in a new Alltek mpu and solenoid driver board. The original lamp driver has 2 tips that need to be replaced but that can wait. I don't get all the sounds out of the sound board. Unplugged for now. The switches are very dirty, but I can get them to pass the switch test wiggling them around. I'm going to clean them up and repin the dirty connectors for J2 on the solenoid driver board (A3J2). Could the dirty switches and dirty A3J2 connector be causing the switch matrix to get bad data?
And on the mpu, I have the dip switches set for Stern clock speed. I did a memory clear and have the game set for meteor.
In coil test, not all the coils fire. The meteor drop targets 6, 8, 9 and 10 fire instead of some of the other coils in testing.
What does work is left bottom drop target bank, left top target bank, flippers, out-hole, coin lock-out.

In game play:
Close right sling switch: O drop target fires
Close left sling shot switch: Top left drop target resets
Close pop bumper switch: M drop target fires
Closing all switches on meteor drop target: Outhole coil fires

This thing is possessed.
Does anyone see a pattern here that I'm missing? I hope it's just filth and the pending clean-up will fix it.

#22 7 years ago

@Enaud, by your in game play description, the problems you're having with the wrong solenoids firing is because you're missing a solenoid select signal between the MPU board and the Solenoid Driver board.

Specifically: the connection from the MPU board connector J4 pin 3 to the Solenoid Driver board connector J4 pin 5. Either of those connector pins has a poor/open connection.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

@Enaud, by your in game play description, the problems you're having with the wrong solenoids firing is because you're missing a solenoid select signal between the MPU board and the Solenoid Driver board.
Specifically: the connection from the MPU board connector J4 pin 3 to the Solenoid Driver board connector J4 pin 5. Either of those connector pins has a poor/open connection.

Yeah, I kinda agree - reflow header solder pins to remove any cold-solder joints you could have.

#24 7 years ago

I did a bunch of reading about theory on this system, and it sounds like somehow u2 is getting bogus data. I have the replacement t header so I can replace instead if reflow..

Re attached pics- #1 is the board in my EBD I could swap, looks to be a different revision of the board.. is that bad?? #3 is possible a if damage/ repair and #4 you can see a burnt connector, as well as one that has already been replaced.

-Brian

IMG_4484 (resized).JPGIMG_4484 (resized).JPG

IMG_4486 (resized).JPGIMG_4486 (resized).JPG

IMG_4487 (resized).JPGIMG_4487 (resized).JPG

IMG_4490 (resized).JPGIMG_4490 (resized).JPG

#25 7 years ago

@bdPinball, by your description, the problems you're having with the wrong solenoids firing is also because you're missing one of the solenoid select signal between the MPU board and the Solenoid Driver board.

Your problem specifically points to: the connection from the MPU board connector J4 pin 2 to the Solenoid Driver board connector J4 pin 4. Either of these connector pins along that wire has a poor/open connection. Please check them.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

#4 you can see a burnt connector

Both those burnt pin/connectors on the red and orange wires on the long connector of the Meteor Rectifier board are for general illumination to the backbox. So if the backbox G.I. lights sometimes cut out, that's probably where the problem lies.

#27 7 years ago

I'm on it! Not sure how I'd do it, but you're saying if I could just jump those two connections the game should stop with the errant coil business? Figures it's the headers I Don't have. I'll get to looking. Thanks.

#28 7 years ago

J4 is indeed the culprit. Reseated the mpu side (again? I swear I did that already) but the game operates again.

I'll order the headers.

You guys are the greatest.

Now about the sound issue- normally when it's a pot issue the sound is LESS not more, right?

I guess since the main problem- the resetting targets thing -is at least identified for future repair, should I mark this as cooked? Or were guys still working on something?

-B

-

#29 7 years ago

And besides- I've never found a way to mark a topic finished on the mobile site-

#30 7 years ago

Good to hear Brian . Oh and those SDU boards are interchangeable if needed.
Yes mate do the pins and connectors that should make the Meteor a bit more reliable

#31 7 years ago

And I found the Finished Button!

Maybe there is hope for me. Let's see.. sound on my black knight, or back to my flash?

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Now about the sound issue- normally when it's a pot issue the sound is LESS not more, right?

-

Pop in some NVRAM. The sound is the first victim of the 5101 going bad.

http://nvram.weebly.com/

#33 7 years ago

Thanks Quench for the great suggestions! I repined A4J4, A3J2 and A3J4 connectors. Now all the coils fire correctly!
Tomorrow I'll move to the cleanup stage. Lots of work to do there.
Now, about the sound issue. At the end of the game I get a scratchy rocket sound but that's it. The same sounds come up in the solenoid test. I checked out a youtube video to see what all kinds of sounds there are. But other than the rocket, I get nothing.
I'm not sure how to approach the sound board. Suggestions?

#34 7 years ago

@Enaud, good to hear it's working properly now!
Regarding your sound query, so basically the only audio you get is the rocket sound at the end of the game? i.e. during the game it's silent - no background sound or game sound effects when you activate switches?

There's a repair guide here for the sound module you have that's worth looking at:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html

#35 7 years ago

Clip that battery off the motherboard ASAP

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Thanks Quench for the great suggestions! I repined A4J4, A3J2 and A3J4 connectors. Now all the coils fire correctly!
Now, about the sound issue. At the end of the game I get a scratchy rocket sound but that's it. The same sounds come up in the solenoid test. I checked out a youtube video to see what all kinds of sounds there are. But other than the rocket, I get nothing.

I'm actually getting that now on my game as well. After a few quick power cycles of my game, I lost all sound effects except background noise. Then, after a few days (and more power cycles), everything died except the explosion sound. Unlike you, though, I get the explosion sound when I get all METEOR targets down and at end of game.

I haven't tracked it down yet, but I have a strong suspicion that one of the logic chips on my board blew. I just have to track down which ones..

#37 7 years ago

I had this sound issue on mine. I noticed that when I had no sound that a couple of GI rows in my back box was out. There is a square connector that feeds the lights on the backbox in the head. I just wiggled this connector and the lights came back on and the sounds was completely back.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Clip that battery off the motherboard ASAP

I gather that is directed at me?

I had wondered about that. My EBD has the opposite problem, no battery at all, and I have to set it every time I turn it on. In both cases then install external battery packs with 3* AA batteries? I have a AAA pack that has 4 batteries in it.. And connect the leads to the places on the board currently linked to that tubular battery?

-B

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Could be more cracked pins on mpu or sound board , and the original ribbons cable are not the best imo , I have made some new cable in the past , If you have time but probably better just buying a new set ,
You should check the volages on the SB. And a new cap kit while your checking the sound board is a good idea ,
I think i have a list on the voltages, ill go look and get back to you

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

I gather that is directed at me?
I had wondered about that. My EBD has the opposite problem, no battery at all, and I have to set it every time I turn it on. In both cases then install external battery packs with 3* AA batteries? I have a AAA pack that has 4 batteries in it.. And connect the leads to the places on the board currently linked to that tubular battery?
-B

Oh yes i thought that to , cut it off and clean up with white vinegar and water 50/50 then wash it off again in hot water, it will dry quicker or blow it dry
Put a memory cap in place of the battery, you may need to scrub the tracks clean of corrosion.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Could be more cracked pins on mpu or sound board , and the original ribbons cable are not the best imo , I have made some new cable in the past , If you have time but probably better just buying a new set ,
You should check the volages on the SB. And a new cap kit while your checking the sound board is a good idea ,
I think i have a list on the voltages, ill go look and get back to you

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html
Found this link for you

#42 7 years ago

I'm going to say 1/3 of the plastic posts in mine are nearly disintegrated. Then, because the base isn't sturdy, the band either bends the screw, causes the screw to become loose, or more likely, Both!! So all the screw holes have bad examples of toothpick-shim jobs. I'm just happy to be able to clean it up some, and play it for a while.

At least until the rocks begin to fall from the sky...

IMG_4498 (resized).JPGIMG_4498 (resized).JPG

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

I'm going to say 1/3 of the plastic posts in mine are nearly disintegrated. Then, because the base isn't sturdy, the band either bends the screw, causes the screw to become loose, or more likely, Both!! So all the screw holes have bad examples of toothpick-shim jobs. I'm just happy to be able to clean it up some, and play it for a while.
At least until the rocks begin to fall from the sky...

Get some new posts Brian , I fix the holes with a cut down thick matchsticks , the big BBQ matches type are great and wood glue ,(pva). If you were closer id send you some posts lol. Good luck ...

#44 7 years ago

Thanks Ralph, however I've got plenty of extra posts from my honey-rethembination project. That game must have 30 red posts! Not identical to the original, but it seems like the clear plastic posts are prone to chipping, and in many cases like in this picture, break down entirely!!

As for the match toothpick idea, yes. I find matchsticks to be slightly softer than. Toothpicks, and seems to work a little better in my experience. My experiences sure usually in the furniture drawer handle realm, which may not see as much use as thesedo.

#45 7 years ago

I guess I had somehow thought that re-seating that J4 jumper had fixed the sound going berserk- Nope. It still happens from time to time. VERY unnerving.

-Brian

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

I guess I had somehow thought that re-seating that J4 jumper had fixed the sound going berserk- Nope. It still happens from time to time. VERY unnerving.
-Brian

Reseating is not a long term fix, especially if the header pins have been sanded or the connector pins are corroded. You'll need to replace them for reliability.

#47 7 years ago

Dothedo is right about replacing the pins/jumper. I can tell you that when I brought my Pinbot home it would work flawlessly for weeks and then at the worst possible times at parties it would dump and reboot. I was just being lazy and really knew that the MPU power cable should be repinned. I had finally had enough and repinned it, then the problem never returned.

#48 7 years ago

Yes. I will get the appropriate connectors from Ed at GPE. I'm still licking the wounds from the bill on the LAST set of .156s + Crimper. I'll get them directly, it's just that I have some coils, and other doo-dads I need to get from Marco, and I can only justify so much an outlay per month. I belive it's likely the problems with the displays will likely be fixed with header replacement as well.

I wish it would be quiet though. It doesn't happen that often, but since it would wake the ladies in the house, I better not play after 9. :I

-Brian

#49 7 years ago

There are better ways to awake the adult ladies in the house

#50 7 years ago

Got my sound working! Last night I brought the ribbon cables in and checked for continuity on each pin. Pin 1 was broken. So, I repaired that and tested this morning. All sounds are working! So, the restoration continues. I've rebuilt three drop target banks and am half way through the meteor drop target bank. It's starting to take shape!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-lower-left-bank-freaking-out-loudly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.