• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Superchicken
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cat.jpg
026.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Games starts and works.
I move it and now not booting.
Displays glow in corners but no digits.
Red led on mpu on.
I have original and modern mpu. No change.
New rectifier pcb.

This happened once before, I dont remember if all I did was reset connectors.

#2 4 years ago

check for +5v on the MPU.

#3 4 years ago

Could definitely be a connector issue. There are a lot of preventative maintenance problems with these old games.

I would start by checking the voltages at the MPU, as mentioned. Solenoid fuses seem to like to blow for me when I move games which would cause the MPU LED to lock on, though I would expect that less with the new fuses which would be in the new rectifier board.

#4 4 years ago

You are lift tilted. Check the captive ball in the cabinet. I bet it stuck with the switch closed. Don't ask how I know this.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

Could definitely be a connector issue. There are a lot of preventative maintenance problems with these old games.
I would start by checking the voltages at the MPU, as mentioned. Solenoid fuses seem to like to blow for me when I move games which would cause the MPU LED to lock on, though I would expect that less with the new fuses which would be in the new rectifier board.

Blown PF solenoid fuse would do nothing. Game would boot. Blown rectifier 43v fuse will stop the zero X timer, so with that failure it would flash up 6 times and fail the 7th POST flash.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

You are lift tilted. Check the captive ball in the cabinet. I bet it stuck with the switch closed. Don't ask how I know this.

Stuck slam tilt should just cause instant reboot once attract mode hits. The CPU is not monitoring the switches until attract mode begins.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Blown PF solenoid fuse would do nothing. Game would boot. Blown rectifier 43v fuse will stop the zero X timer, so with that failure it would flash up 6 times and fail the 7th POST flash.

Actually, it wouldn't do nothing and the game would NOT boot. But you're right about the 7th flash. Remembered later that we're talking Bally and it would flash 6 times. Whoops

No +12V would also cause the MPU LED to lock on as it's part of the reset circuit.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Stuck slam tilt should just cause instant reboot once attract mode hits. The CPU is not monitoring the switches until attract mode begins.

Nope. With the lift tilt stuck closed it just sits there dead. Turning the cabinet on end to move to move the game, jams the ball to the end of the guide. Because of this I always remove the lift tilt ball.

026.jpg

#9 4 years ago

I agree, check all tilt switches.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

Actually, it wouldn't do nothing and the game would NOT boot. But you're right about the 7th flash. Remembered later that we're talking Bally and it would flash 6 times. Whoops
No +12V would also cause the MPU LED to lock on as it's part of the reset circuit.

The PF solenoid fuse is just for the 43v on pf. This fuse does not interupt the MPUs 43v line it uses for zero crossing. Blown pf fuse game will boot, chimes, flippers, knocker work, but no PF solenoids. Blown 43v fuse on the rectifier board = no boot because no 7th flash.

The LED on the MPU is powered by 12v and not 5v. No 12v, No diag led.

Nope. With the lift tilt stuck closed it just sits there dead. Turning the cabinet on end to move to move the game, jams the ball to the end of the guide. Because of this I always remove the lift tilt ball.

026.jpg

This is incorrect. Stuck slam switch will cause the game to reboot once attract mode starts and repeat over and over. It will not stop the power on self test flashes. Trust me on this one. The software is not monitoring switches until attract mode. You can try it yourself, hold closed the slam switch on the coin door.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The PF solenoid fuse is just for the 43v on pf. This fuse does not interupt the MPUs 43v line it uses for zero crossing. Blown pf fuse game will boot, chimes, flippers, knocker work, but no PF solenoids. Blown 43v fuse on the rectifier board = no boot because no 7th flash.
The LED on the MPU is powered by 12v and not 5v. No 12v, No diag led.

Right. I was referring to the fuse on the rectifier board when I said "solenoid fuse". I didn't notice that you thought I was talking about the PF fuse because that wouldn't make any sense at all. Like you mentioned, the playfield fuse is after the bridge and after the flippers so it wouldn't cause the MPU to not boot. I blew the diagnosis, but I haven't completely lost it

Quoted from barakandl:

This is incorrect. Stuck slam switch will cause the game to reboot once attract mode starts and repeat over and over. It will not stop the power on self test flashes. Trust me on this one. The software is not monitoring switches until attract mode. You can try it yourself, hold closed the slam switch on the coin door.

Agreed. Take a look at the schematic. Slam switches are in the switch matrix and the CPU has no way to know what the switch matrix is doing until the game code is running.

#12 4 years ago

Ok. Here is my Catacomb booted with a slam tilt locked closed. There is no rebooting.
cat.jpg

#13 4 years ago

Ok. Here is my Catacomb booted with a slam tilt locked closed. There is no rebooting.
cat.jpg

I just put catacomb roms into my nine ball and hard tied the slam closed. It just reboots 7 flash, reboot 7 flash over and over.

I put a scope on the switches. The matrix is not even strobing until attract mode. The slam switch is not active until after the power on self test. The CPU doesn't even know it is closed because it isnt strobing the matrix. If having the slam switch closed makes your MPU not boot, something else is wrong and crashing out your PIA.

#14 4 years ago

Here is a thought i just had super chicken...

I notice your player four has a digit lit. The switch strobes are multiplexed with the display latches....

PERHAPS... you have have a slam switch shorting out against the coin door giving a path to ground. Perhaps ONLY when that switch is closed you are mucking up that PIA line by holding it low (and latching a display). I havent looked to see if Player 4 is associated with the slam strobe.

#15 4 years ago

I'll look. The game this originally happened on was F2K. I'm working on it so it isn't setup to test on right now.

#16 4 years ago

I didn't find any faults in the slam tilt. During game play a slam tilt does not reboot the game just locks it until the circuit is returned open. Then it reboots. If I close the switch multiple times quickly, it looks like it is throwing up pieces of assembly language in the player 4 display.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside