• Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic poll

“Which LED config would you use for the METEOR Rocket Bonus lamps?”

• All warm white - most like Incandescent. 7 votes
    47%
  • All warm white, except for second white insert, which would be cool white. 2 votes
    13%
  • All cool white. 0 votes
  • Color Matched. 6 votes
    40%

(15 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4165 (resized).JPG
IMG_4166 (resized).JPG
IMG_4157 (resized).JPG
IMG_4158 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

So, thought I'd get folk's thoughts, since I'm making this board.

Originally, the board was going to be just for me, as my metal bands for the lamps were horrible, and while I could get used ones, likely the sockets on them would start failing eventually as well. So, it wasn't difficult making a board, and when I order mine now, I'll have to get some extras, so I could offer them to anyone interested.

So, I was wondering what others thought about LED colors to use. (Personally, I'm likely either going for the all warm, or all warm except the second white insert, but..)

#2 2 years ago

My rule of thumb for LEDs on early SS games is warm white, except for red and blue, which I color match.

2 weeks later
#3 2 years ago

Agreed, warm white.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks guys.
Working on the next proto, sending files off Monday.

Will fix (tighten) the mounting hole location, as well as add solder points for the wires, so people who can't crimp don't have to use the pin headers.

The proto is going to have the 5K lamps (the second 'white', the first 'white' being 1k) as Cool White, to compare.

2 months later
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Thanks guys.
Working on the next proto, sending files off Monday.
Will fix (tighten) the mounting hole location, as well as add solder points for the wires, so people who can't crimp don't have to use the pin headers.
The proto is going to have the 5K lamps (the second 'white', the first 'white' being 1k) as Cool White, to compare.

This sounds really cool. Any help needed?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

This sounds really cool. Any help needed?

Hey -
I posted an update in the Meteor's owner's thread, guess I should here, too -

Sent final files off Friday, to get last board. Hopefully, the last board. The average turnaround time is about four weeks, I will be on two road trips over the next month and a half (to Cedar Rapids IA and back, then to Willits CA and back), so I should be able to verify operation on them mid-June. If it works as advertised, then I'll order a quantity of them.

Since the 'spinner bonus' lights match the exact layout (even with mounting holes), if this rocket bonus works as describes, then when I order some for production, I'll also have those made and available.

Will plan then, to make a board for the Meteor drop target lights, and (maybe) the bonus x lamps.

I'll only be making a small batch - maybe 20 sets - at first, because I'm doing this on a whim, am not a company, and won't take 'preorder money' and not sure how many folks would be interested.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey -
Sent final files off Friday, to get last board. Hopefully, the last board. The average turnaround time is about four weeks, I will be on two road trips over the next month and a half (to Cedar Rapids IA and back, then to Willits CA and back), so I should be able to verify operation on them mid-June. If it works as advertised, then I'll order a quantity of them.
Since the 'spinner bonus' lights match the exact layout (even with mounting holes), if this rocket bonus works as describes, then when I order some for production, I'll also have those made and available.
Will plan then, to make a board for the Meteor drop target lights, and (maybe) the bonus x lamps.
I'll only be making a small batch - maybe 20 sets - at first, because I'm doing this on a whim, am not a company, and won't take 'preorder money' and not sure how many folks would be interested.

I'm in for two at least. LMK when to send the $$.

3 months later
#8 2 years ago

Can't wait to see photos of the lit product in the game. Colour matched is my pref, but the warm white with a row of cool white would probably be a close second. Intensity is just as important as temperature though, so I hope you can capture them all lit simultaneously in lamp test mode.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey -

I would be in on this when its ready.

#10 2 years ago

Hey guys -
I guess I should favorite this thread or something, since I keep forgetting I started it. Talk about airhead.

Anywas -

Quoted from semicolin:

Can't wait to see photos of the lit product in the game. Colour matched is my pref, but the warm white with a row of cool white would probably be a close second. Intensity is just as important as temperature though, so I hope you can capture them all lit simultaneously in lamp test mode.

I decided NOT to go with color-matched, for two reasons -
(1) Color itself - there's a lot of different shades of similar colors (re - the 'Shoot Again' and the Outlane inserts.) that would lose any subtle color variances if I used a color LED behind it, and
(2) Cost - Getting over qty of 1300 of the SAME LED gives you a large cost cutting with price breaks. As opposed to, say 100 of one color, 125 of another, etc.

The final boards will have cool white in the 5k white inserts, with warm white in the 1k and everywhere else. The 6k LEDs will be a little dimmer because of the insert's transparency. At full matching brightness, with the transparent non-textured insert was far too bright and blinding.

Here are all of the latest pics I got from the manufactrer. In these shots, the silk-screen is red. But it's a dark, dark red (maybe even transparent ink) and barely shows up. So, I'm working with them on finding a better color to use.

IMG_4158 (resized).JPG

IMG_4157 (resized).JPG

IMG_4166 (resized).JPG

IMG_4165 (resized).JPG

#11 2 years ago

Can't wait to see it in a game lighting the inserts. Good stuff!

#12 2 years ago

Hey guys -
The board is finished and on a slow boat from China. (..Literally.) I'm rather excited. I'm no professional, and this is the first thing I've ever 'mass produced'.

I'll get a picture uploaded of the final board when the factory sends it to me, and then get shots/videos of it in action and post once I get it in.

I am 99% done with the Spinner board and the Bonus X boards as well - I'll be getting a quote on those in a few weeks. They should come faster since all the trial and error is done with.
--Mike

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

My real reason for this post is to ask -
What is the 'PAA Sticker' on the IPDB Meteor site? Where did it go? My game doesn't have one, and wondering if I should worry about getting a replacement.
--Mike

This sticker was also on Nineball: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1678&picno=66565

The Pinball Association of America was an initiative of Steve Kirk (he was its President and founder), and he stated that Meteor and Nineball were "selected for tournament play" (in this case, "selected" by Steve Kirk!). It's kind of interesting, and yes that's the way the games came from the factory, so a full restore would include this sticker.

#14 2 years ago

Got any spare stickers, Grant?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

This sticker was also on Nineball: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1678&picno=66565
The Pinball Association of America was an initiative of Steve Kirk (he was its President and founder), and he stated that Meteor and Nineball were "selected for tournament play" (in this case, "selected" by Steve Kirk!). It's kind of interesting, and yes that's the way the games came from the factory, so a full restore would include this sticker.

Neat, thanks! Whatever apron I have on mine never had the sticker (no residue, faded art 'tan lines', etc) so was why i was curious about it.

#16 2 years ago

Update on the boards -
The sample should arrive this week sometime, however, I am going to be up near NY for the last half of this week. So, next week I will get pics and video of it installed, and verify everything is to my liking, and then place the full order. So, I'm sticking with my gumption that they will be available beginning of October. (1 month to produce, then a couple weeks to ship.) I have noticed an error in this board already - something I never picked up on. It's extremely likely noone else will notice either, so I'm leaving it. (I will actually give a board away for free to the person that notices it. It's not noticeable in the images above, but will be once I post my pictures.)

Next week I week be getting quotes for the Bonus X and the Spinner boards. It's very possible that if I get the quotes soon enough, I will have all three done at once, even. (No sample needed for these.)

I'm still working on the Meteor Drop Target board. I'm hoping those will be ordered mid-September, for sale beginning of November.

After that - that's it. I *may* make little boards for the two inserts at the Rocket Drop targets, or for the standup, but.. unsure right now.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Update on the boards -
The sample should arrive this week sometime, however, I am going to be up near NY for the last half of this week. So, next week I will get pics and video of it installed, and verify everything is to my liking, and then place the full order. So, I'm sticking with my gumption that they will be available beginning of October. (1 month to produce, then a couple weeks to ship.) I have noticed an error in this board already - something I never picked up on. It's extremely likely noone else will notice either, so I'm leaving it. (I will actually give a board away for free to the person that notices it. It's not noticeable in the images above, but will be once I post my pictures.)
Next week I week be getting quotes for the Bonus X and the Spinner boards. It's very possible that if I get the quotes soon enough, I will have all three done at once, even. (No sample needed for these.)
I'm still working on the Meteor Drop Target board. I'm hoping those will be ordered mid-September, for sale beginning of November.
After that - that's it. I *may* make little boards for the two inserts at the Rocket Drop targets, or for the standup, but.. unsure right now.

I'm happy to run the board through it's paces.

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

I'm going to be sending this board off to have a collector look at it - specifically for feedback on the LEDs. I *really* hope they work, since changing anything right now would add more time.

Another random question -
At this time, I'm providing 'pads' on the back of the board for soldering wires directly to the board (if you do not want to add headers). However, my supplier has a new part in that is a small 'loop' which may be easier to solder to.

Does it matter which is used? Do you care? If so, what would you prefer?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'm going to be sending this board off to have a collector look at it - specifically for feedback on the LEDs. I *really* hope they work, since changing anything right now would add more time.
Another random question -
At this time, I'm providing 'pads' on the back of the board for soldering wires directly to the board (if you do not want to add headers). However, my supplier has a new part in that is a small 'loop' which may be easier to solder to.
Does it matter which is used? Do you care? If so, what would you prefer?

Are those holes spaced for a 156 header?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Are those holes spaced for a 156 header?

.100 headers, and they will be populated.
Any .100 plug should fit.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

.100 headers, and they will be populated.
Any .100 plug should fit.

Nice.

4 months later
#22 1 year ago

Which, if any are Available now?
Pricing?
I would like to order.
-Bill-
708 717 8555

#23 1 year ago

Hello!
They are not ready yet. The project is *temporarily* on hold as I work on another project.
Once they ARE ready, it will be a complete set:
(1) Rocket Bonus Lamps
(2) Spinner Score
(3) METEOR Drop Target Score
(4) Bonus Lamps

And *possibly* (still undecided) the Rocket Drop Wow/Special lamps.

-Mike

2 weeks later
#24 1 year ago

That sounds like a phenomenal mod kit. I can't wait.

1 year later
#25 62 days ago

Big bump. Did anything come of this project? Looked to be in nearing the finish line. Definitely interested in it.

#26 62 days ago

Due to some medical reasons, I had to put it on hold.
All the boards are designed - the next step is to send the CAD files to a maker and get quotes for the sets.

Hopefully by December, I will have some guesses on final prices.

Thanks for poking this, too. I've been meaning to post an update.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside