(Topic ID: 327554)

Meteor: Is there any logic to which drops get spotted?

By DakotaMike

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221107_125959 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I was wondering if anyone knew what the logic for spotting Meteor targets was? The star rollovers, standup, and inlanes can all spot Meteor drops at various points, and I was wondering how the game decides which of the Meteor targets to drop when one of those switches is hit.

It doesn't seem entirely random which of the METEOR target gets spotted, but neither can I see a distinct pattern. I'm doing some switch matrix troubleshooting, and knowing what the logic is (if any) would help. I was wondering if the game always tries to spot the targets in a particular order, or if the each switch has it's own preferred target to spot? Or if it's entirely random?

Anyone know?

20221107_125959 (resized).jpg20221107_125959 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

I bet slochar could answer your questions.

#3 1 year ago

L184E:
loadbmem MEM0046 ; get continuous timer
aandb $03 ; limit to [0..3]
eqgoto L188B ; 00, branch
aandb $03 ; limit to [0..3]
eqgoto L1877 ; 00, branch

bacomp $01 ; 1?
eqgoto L1872 ; timer was 01, branch

bacomp $02 ; 2?
eqgoto L186D ; timer was 02, branch

; timer was 03, spot meteor target in order OETE2OTERM first one not down
checklampvalue $23 ; O
ifsetgoto L18AC ; O is lit, branch
; timer was 02, spot meteor target in order ETE2OTERM first one not down
L186D:
checklampvalue $24 ; E
ifsetgoto L18A9 ; E is lit, branch
; timer was 01, spot meteor target in order TE2OTERM first one not down
L1872:
checklampvalue $25 ; T
ifsetgoto L18A6 ; T is lit, branch
; timer was 00 2nd time, spot meteor target in order E2OTERM first one not down
L1877:
checklampvalue $26 ; E2
ifsetgoto L18A3 ; E2 is lit, branch

checklampvalue $23 ; O
ifsetgoto L18AC ; O is lit, branch

checklampvalue $25 ; T
ifsetgoto L18A6 ; T is lit, branch

checklampvalue $24 ; E
ifsetgoto L18A9 ; E is lit, branch

; first timer check was 00, check timer again to drop RM, if both down branch back to spot E2OTE first one not down
L188B:
aandb $04 ; limit to 0 or 4
eqgoto L1898 ; it's zero, branch
checklampvalue $22 ; R
ifsetgoto L18AF ; R is lit, branch

L1898:
checklampvalue $27 ; M
ifsetgoto L18A0 ; M is lit, branch
goto L1877 ; branch

#4 1 year ago

The only randomness is when the code grabs the continuous timer... You have no way of timing that though.

What are you trying to fix?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The only randomness is when the code grabs the continuous timer... You have no way of timing that though.
What are you trying to fix?

Well, occasionally on a ball one, after all of the targets reset, one or two targets will drop and score as though one of the pf switches was hit.

However, on subsequent balls this doesn’t happen. Which I think is because as you play, fewer of the pf switches are lit to spot Meteor targets.

I think the vibrations of all the drops resetting is causing one of the pf switches to close briefly. I was hoping the game logic might tell me which switch I need to look over. I’ve been trying to find the balance of getting the switches to register nicely, but not get any false hits. It’s proving more challenging than normal.

My other thought was that maybe I’ve got a bad diode or switch capacitor somewhere instead. And that the ball 1 game state was the only time that the symptom presented. However, given that I do get plenty of Ball 1s where don’t get any phantom drops, I’m leaning towards a too-close switch somewhere.

#6 1 year ago

Look at the star rollovers up top they are near the 6 bank, and they should have switch caps on them (although they don't need them IMO.... only the spot meteor standup does, and maybe the slings/pop)

Check the score to get a clue as to what switch. The spot will give you the drop score, so if you start a game, it resets the 6 bank and you get one falling/spotted, you will have that drop score (2k or 6k) plus whatever the errant switch is. If you just get the targets, your bank isn't resetting properly and the drop is falling from gravity.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Look at the star rollovers up top they are near the 6 bank, and they should have switch caps on them (although they don't need them IMO.... only the spot meteor standup does, and maybe the slings/pop)
Check the score to get a clue as to what switch. The spot will give you the drop score, so if you start a game, it resets the 6 bank and you get one falling/spotted, you will have that drop score (2k or 6k) plus whatever the errant switch is. If you just get the targets, your bank isn't resetting properly and the drop is falling from gravity.

Well, and the problem is that none of the switches score any points when lit. The inlanes either spot Meteor OR score 500. But given that I never get phantom 500s, I’m leaning towards the rollovers too.

They are also the closest to the big bank. Part of my challenge has been that the leaf switches change position slightly when the pf is fully vertical and fully down thanks to gravity. The reality is that I need to thoroughly clean all the switches and probably replace a few. But I’ve been too busy to devote a lot of time to it. As the game is on location 40 minutes away and this is a crazy time of year for me.

#8 1 year ago

Never noticed that but yep they don't score other than the target they drop. And also they all would score 500 so you couldn't tell which was doing it. One clue though is that whichever switch it it's corresponding lamp goes off. All should be lit at game start.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Never noticed that but yep they don't score other than the target they drop. And also they all would score 500 so you couldn't tell which was doing it. One clue though is that whichever switch it it's corresponding lamp goes off. All should be lit at game start.

Ah, I didn’t think of that. Good tip.

#10 1 year ago

Those drop targets can have trouble staying up often.
I wouldn’t rule that out, I’ve had to bend and adjust the armature that trips them down, as that’s what also holds them up.
Also, if it is a switch, it might be found in switch test by jarring the playfield.
Another possibility Could be the capacitors on the switches.
Hope you find it easily, Meteor is a blast!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from DNO:

Those drop targets can have trouble staying up often.
I wouldn’t rule that out, I’ve had to bend and adjust the armature that trips them down, as that’s what also holds them up.
Also, if it is a switch, it might be found in switch test by jarring the playfield.
Another possibility Could be the capacitors on the switches.
Hope you find it easily, Meteor is a blast!

Thanks, yeah Meteor is great. I’ve pretty much ruled out the drop targets themselves, as I only ever get an errant drop on a Ball 1 and it’s never the same particular target.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 169.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-is-there-any-logic-to-which-drops-get-spotted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.