Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211108_150059 (resized).jpg
20211108_150016 (resized).jpg
20211107_143954 (resized).jpg
20211107_143936 (resized).jpg
20211107_143838 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Very new to fixing my pins, very very new. No experience whatsoever, but don't want to call a repairman every time. Recently acquired 8 pins, all late 70's/early 80's Stern, Bally, Gottlieb. Thanks to pinside forums, I've got my Big Game, Eight Ball, & Hyperball working again

Meteor: Can anyone tell me what's going on here (besides blown fuses)? What's the black box? Looks like some corrosion. Game turns on but no play. Should I be replacing the board with that corrosion present?

20211107_143838 (resized).jpg20211107_143838 (resized).jpg20211107_143936 (resized).jpg20211107_143936 (resized).jpg20211107_143954 (resized).jpg20211107_143954 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

What's the black box?

A frikin 25 amp resetable fuse.

They put in higher fuses until they wouldn't blow. I'd get it out of there. Your circuit breaker on your wall is probably 15amp or 20amp. You could start a fire.

Get some help on the game. Local collector or tech. ChrisHibler does board work, you could have him go over your boards.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

And the corrosion isn't corrosion, it's the cement resistor on the side crumbling apart; also not good.

EDIT: Well, in addition to some corrosion

#4 2 years ago

yes replace the board

the plugs don't look too bad, but advisable to check, if not, replace the connector pins with trifurcons.

#5 2 years ago

I’d sure measure the voltages as a starting point. But that board does look like it has seen better days. The three-quarter amp fuse is missing. That fuse protects the display high voltage.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#6 2 years ago

Now's a great time to practice your soldering skills. You can get a complete replacement board kit for $30 and it will improve your situation dramatically: https://nvram.weebly.com/bally---stern-rectifier.html

#7 2 years ago

Thank you everyone for the info and for not making me feel like an idiot I'm going to attempt to replace the board myself - a completed board. I am not anywhere near confident enough to solder anything. Thank you ChrisHibler for the PinWiki link - found a great 'pinball for beginners' article that will help me tremendously!

#8 2 years ago

Well you will have to do some soldering to attach the wired from the transformer to the new board.
They are not plug and play but this type of soldering isn't as hard as trying to build the kit board from scratch.

You can do it if you practice a bit with soldering. Transfer one wire at a time so you don't mix any up...

#9 2 years ago

Any recommendations on a soldering iron for beginners? I think I'll just go for it. Gotta start somewhere! Thanks for the help & encouragement!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...solder.

#11 2 years ago

The cement resistor fell off when I started taking the board off. Lesson 1: don't turn on your machine til you look it over. Lesson learned. Thank you for helping prevent a fire in my pole barn. I really appreciate all the replies!

20211108_150016 (resized).jpg20211108_150016 (resized).jpg20211108_150059 (resized).jpg20211108_150059 (resized).jpg
#12 2 years ago

If I were you I would call pinball resource and get a rectifier kit. 70 bucks. You will have to solder the connections to back but it also comes with new female connectors and pins. That burned pin on that connector should be replaced. I want to say that’s the bus for the GI.

#13 2 years ago
#14 2 years ago

The one from Pinball Life is good and has all the connectors and new pins.
You're going to need a crimper and learn to crimp those connectos on the wires that go to the molex connectors.
Especially those two with the burns, you could probably get away with just replacing those two pins for now.
Those are the GI (general illumination lights) I believe. Pretty common for those to get toasty in older games
Once you replace those pins and the board, it will be good to go. Then you can find out if any of the other boards need repair or replacement!

#15 2 years ago

https://nvram.weebly.com/bally---stern-rectifier.html

If you're feeling like learning

Although you'd probably like to have a soldering station to do that.

#16 2 years ago

Practice your soldering. You can do it. I was once like you, and didn't know how either. You need to know how to solder, and rebuild connectors. I recommend using solder with lead in it if you can find it. I still find some at Auto Zone that has the lead. Plus learn how to un-solder too. I use the braid stuff, but I do have several solder suckers too. Good luck! You have some great machines there..........

#17 2 years ago

You have eight old pins. You will be soldering and crimping, unless you decide to pay someone else to complete these tasks. I will simply add that it's worth picking up the right tools, if you feel confident that you will be in this hobby for a while. I was able to find a decent used soldering station and I splurged on a Hakko 808(?) desoldering gun (so much better than a braid or inexpensive solder sucker). Board work was much easier with better equipment, if you have the budget for it. That said, plenty of people get by with less expensive equipment.

Replacing the rectifier board and repinning the molex connectors is standard rehab procedure for these old games.

Congratulations on the eight pins and have fun learning the skills above.

Steve

#18 2 years ago

Ordered the board kit, soldering kit, desolder braid, & crimper. Thank you all for your help & encouragement. I'm excited to start!

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from SJ23:

Ordered the board kit, soldering kit, desolder braid, & crimper.

Practice. And Youtube has plenty of short how to videos.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

You have eight old pins. You will be soldering and crimping, unless you decide to pay someone else to complete these tasks.
Congratulations on the eight pins and have fun learning the skills above.
Steve

Thanks! Paid a tech to get my Centaur working bc it's been my favorite pin since I was a kid & I had to play it once I finally got it. Looking forward to learning how to fix them myself now. Seemed overwhelming at first but this forum has helped tremendously.

#21 2 years ago

I would get a solder sucker for sure when doing board work like this.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would get a solder sucker for sure when doing board work like this.

Like this? https://smile.amazon.com/VT-001-SS-Aluminum-Resistance-Silicone-soldering/dp/B0849MCLDW/ref=mp_s_a_1_6

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

I will simply add that it's worth picking up the right tools, if you feel confident that you will be in this hobby for a while. I was able to find a decent used soldering station and I splurged on a Hakko 808(?) desoldering gun (so much better than a braid or inexpensive solder sucker). Board work was much easier with better equipment, if you have the budget for it.
Steve

I will definitely keep my eye out now. Thanks for the tip!

#25 2 years ago

That one doesn't have a guard on top to protect you when you release the plunger/suction up. Sure as I'm sitting here it will smack you in the eye.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I run a cheaper

TheLaw's link has one with the safety guard.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That one doesn't have a guard on top to protect you when you release the plunger/suction up. Sure as I'm sitting here it will smack you in the eye.

TheLaw's link has one with the safety guard.

Ordered the cheaper one with safety guard. Thank you for the advice

#27 2 years ago

I ordered this solder/desoldering station from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTXCHGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Some of the best money (~$150) I have spent in the hobby. Makes a lot of board repairs so much easier.

I've used both the Anarchy PCB rectifier board and the Homepin rectifier board in my Trident and Meteor respectively, and they both work great.

Anarchy PCB (https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0070-00)
Homepin (https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AS-2518-18)

2 weeks later
#28 2 years ago

Hallelujah I replaced the rectifier board (by myself ) & it turns on!!

But...the MPU only flashes twice & doesn't start a game. The board looks good & it had a remote battery already installed. I took the new mpu out of my big game & tried it...it flashes 6 times & tries to start a game. Reading around a little, maybe the ROM is bad? Or needs a new MPU? Am I reading that correctly? Do I buy new ROM & see if it works or is there a test I can do? Any suggestions?

#29 2 years ago

if your testing to see if the rectifier board is working it's best to check the test points with a multi meter first.

no third flash on the Meteor mpu is most likely related to either or both the 5101's at U8 7 U13.

but essentially if you are just testing to see if the mpu board is okay you only need to connect J4 on mpu board.

if you are missing the 7th flash most likely the 43VDC is missing.

Meteor and Big Game have different jumpers and ROM's, so a Big Game mpu won't work in a Meteor and vice versa.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

https://nvram.weebly.com/bally---stern-rectifier.html
If you're feeling like learning
Although you'd probably like to have a soldering station to do that.

This is the best way to go...learn and repair as you go! They are super easy to put together! And new wires to the transformer while your in the neighborhood!
I put these in every old pin I get....which is all I have...best of luck to you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 199.95
Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-help-a-newbie?hl=redwizard000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.