Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170124_163846527_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20170124_163743462 (resized).jpg
stern (resized).jpg
Meteor_Flipper2.jpg
Meteor_Flipper3.jpg
Meteor_Flipper1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BarryMulvihill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

heyo,
so ive become very familiar fixing EM machines. this is my first real look at/fix up of a ss machine.
everything seems to be working but all three flippers do not work. all fuses in the machine are good.
where do i look? i have the schematics and manual. i would think if it was one flipper it would be a coil, but cause its all three, im a little more confused.
ems dont have motherboards. this is new to me. any info/leads would be so appreciated.
thank you,
barry.

#4 7 years ago

Yes the fuse on play field is good too.

Yeah ill start with the rectifier header pins. Thank you for the tip.

One last oddity I will mention is that if I press right flipper button the shoot again light lights up.

I gotta go to hospital cause my daughter's bein born lol. I'll keep posted as to any fixes. Hopefully I still got free time for this lol.
Thanks again,
Barry.

1 month later
#5 7 years ago

alright, so ive undergone more investigation and observation.
flipper relay on SDB DOES NOT engage when powered on.

it does if i attach alligator clips to q15 and ground on Solenoid board.
i replaced q15 just in case. still same outcome.

i attached alligator clips to side rail and flipper coil. The right flipper (and third flipper DO engage). with same test on left coil, left flipper does not engage.

My two hunches are that it is a blown diode on a coil somewhere, or a power/wiring problem from a daisy chained/ solenoid to solenoid.

QUESTIONS:
1. what color wire is the main power that is daisy chained from coil to coil? and/or what lug would power wire be attached to on coils?
2. could it be a diode? this is my first main ss machine fix. i can only imagine when seeing the diodes attached to coils it may be crucial.

also, please let me know of any other lead. all works but flippers now. im so excited to see it work.
thank you.
barry

#6 7 years ago

Bump for leads

#9 7 years ago

No q15 was not grounded when I grounded the flipper coils.

Gotcha on the flipper relay. For some reason I thought it should engage when fully booted up .

So if it's not a diode, my only thought is it's a gap in the Daisy chained power to the sloinoids. ... Would that make sense? And what color wire/which lug on coils should be my main focus?

Quench I responded before seeing your post. I will try tests tonight. Thank you

#11 7 years ago

Okay so I have confirmed power to both flippers. Wiggling left flipper while grounded got it to activate and now it activates every time while grounded. Right flipper activates while grounded as well.

Grounding Q15 will activate flipper relay while in attract mode. Once I start a game it will not.
... Does starting a game put flipper relay in activated state for whole game or just when flipper button pressed? I'm wondering if grounding Q15 in game doesn't work because it's already activated?

BUT WITH ALL THIS, FLIPPERS STILL DO NOT WORK DURING GAME FROM PRESSING FLIPPER BUTTONS.

Also I tried on Quench advice,wiggling the j4 connectors to no avail. I did not jump them yet tho...

Anything I'm missing? Any leads? I feel I'm close.

(I should add to that during solinoid test, only solinoid that doesn't fire are the flippers)

#13 7 years ago

During solinoid test flippers do not get activated if buttons are held.

I'm at work now, will check for 43volts when I get home. I will also confirm grounded Q15 does let flippers move, but I'm pretty sure I tried and they did not move.

Quench thanks! She's awesome but def taking away from pinball tinkering time lol.

#18 7 years ago

alright! so with all your awesome hints, i took my multimeter and checked continuity with all associated wires. all were good till i checked the blue and red wires attached to flipper buttons. multimeter did not respond, so i followed wires, and they were attached to a connector leading to J2 on the light board. there was a red and blue wire on the J2 SDB but not attached to flipper buttons. aka the wrong blue and red.

i attached the red and blue from flipper buttons to J2 SDB and BAM! flippers work!

someone previously wired this game incorrectly. i still have investigation to do, as far as the other wires attached to connector leading to J2 light board. i have a hunch all of them lead to J2 SDB, but all is well.

thank you so much for your help and clarification. i had schematics, but this being my first SS fix, your detailed pics were a huge help.
game on homeys,
barry.

IMG_20170124_163743462 (resized).jpgIMG_20170124_163743462 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170124_163846527_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170124_163846527_HDR (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BarryMulvihill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-flippers?tu=BarryMulvihill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.