Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20181214-220426_Telegram (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181214-145555_Messages (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello.
I'm in a bit of a rush to fix this weird issue with this Meteor (the issue has existed since I bought the pin recently). Got a classics tournament at my house on the weekend and would love to include it!

The issue is that the Right sling switches will not fire the slingshot. It will drop the R target on meteor drops

The left sling switches will drop E on meteor.

Some other solenoids will sometimes rarely seem to misfire but I cannot reproduce it like I can with the slings every time!

Watch video here.

Things I have tried.

1. I clipped off the 2 remaining caps on some switches.
2. I replaced the solenoid driver board with 2 different boards (from stern magic and quicksilver) the issue still exists and some other switches where going off on their own I think with the other board
3. I found an old thread on pinside with a similar issue that said to repin J4 pin 3 on mpu and j4 pin 5 on solanoid. I did that and no change. I redid some other pins but not all. They visually look fine...
4. I went into switch test and tested every switch.... Every one appeared in the display as it does in the manual when triggered.
5. I manually fired both coils by grounding them and the coils work fine.
6. I checked the manual and the wires going to the coils on the slings are plugged into the correct connector...

I'm sure it's something silly and maybe just some different pins I need to check. I'm just the world's super slowest repinner so I don't want to spend time repining something unrelated since there are so many plugs

Thank you for any help provided.

#2 5 years ago

Looks like someone has some wires swapped around in some connectors. Do the slings fire at all with any other switch hits?

Hopefully someone can send you a picture of the J2 and J5 connectors and wire colors on the solenoid driver board (SDB). But it looks like someone has the left sling (SDB: J2-4) wired to the first 'E' target (SDB: J2-12). Then the right sling (SDB: J5-11) wired to the 'R' target (SDB: J5-14).

The question is what are the sling coils wired to??? If they're simply swapped around, do the rollovers above the METEOR targets or any of the lit inlanes fire the slings? If so, then you've got those coil wires swapped around.

At this point you could just swap J2-4 and J2-12 as well as J5-11 and J5-14. It won't hurt anything. Just release the pin lock and swap the connectors and wires in the housings.

#3 5 years ago

Nothing fires the slings. Not even in the solanoid test thingy.

I do have what seems to be a prototype playfield as I had a dead bumper missing on the right of the meteor targets. But a roll over is there so I guess that probably has nothing to do with it.

And as per point 6. The colours on the connector for the power to the slingshots match up to the pins listed in the manual...

#4 5 years ago

Check the connectors on the SD board. It sounds like they are misskeyed, off by a pin, or swapped.

#5 5 years ago

Somewhere along the line you've got some wires swapped. If it's not at the SDB, it's at a connector downstream or even wired wrong under the playfield somehow. The wires that are going to the first 'E' and 'R' targets need to get wired to the left and right slings respectively. Then the next thing is determining what wires are supposed to be connected to the drops.

#6 5 years ago

keep in mind the solenoids are addressed. 4 wires bring the address from the mpu to the sdb. If one of the pins is not making a good connection then the address of the coil to fire will be wrong. I'd take a good look at the small .100 connector on the sdb and see if it needs recrimping

#7 5 years ago

Good news and bad news!
The good news is the game was wired wrong.
These 2 pins in my game where swapped.
I got a picture from someone

The bad news is now the first E target when hit and is scoring forever while it's pressed down.
No other switches on the drop banksseem to have the same issue

Video:

Screenshot_20181214-145555_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181214-145555_Messages (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

Went into switch test
And the E target sets off its one switch and also switch 23 lower left bank drop. Circled in purple.

Also just noticed that the lower left drop will not reset on its own. All switchs work. But only the upper left will reset both drop banks.

Screenshot_20181214-220426_Telegram (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181214-220426_Telegram (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

Completing the right 3 bank also resets the meteor target bank. Not sure if that is meant to happen or not. I'm guessing not....

Also the sound has mostly been now not working for the last 2 days it comes back some times. Speakers make a weird sound when the meteor target bank resets.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Completing the right 3 bank also resets the meteor target bank. Not sure if that is meant to happen or not.

Since you've found a solenoid wiring mistake at a solenoid driver board connector, you should check the others.
The solenoid driver board schematic shows which solenoids are driven by each driver transistor. Very briefly ground (one at a time) the metal tabs of those driver transistors marked Q1 thru to Q16 and make sure the solenoid as marked activates. If not check the connector wire color/position as shown on that schematic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-firing-off-wrong-solanoid?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.