• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by setzkor
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 3 years ago

The 'METEOR' drop target bank on a recently acquired Williams meteor isn't behaving as I would expect. On a one player game it resets all of the drop target (up - which I believe is correct). It then drops some of the targets back down. The problem is that the ones that drop don't correspond 100% to the state of the targets at the end of the ball. I guess I expect the targets to remember and mimic their exact state at the end of the prior ball. Before I starts ripping things apart, however, I thought that I would confirm my understanding of the proper operation of the 'METEOR' targets. Can anyone confirm that I have an issue here?... Or maybe I misunderstand how the memory function works. Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

The METEOR targets should reset to the same state as the end of the previous ball for any given player.

My old Meteor had this issue initially but it was purely mechanical. The little coils were firing to drop the targets properly but the target would stay up or partially up. Had to tear apart the drop mechanism and clean/repair/replace/tweak/bend/twist all the intricacies and springs to get it to work 100%. Note you have to reinstall the mechanism and test it at the angle of the game to be sure it works well - testing it in hand or on a bench isn't indicative of successfully fixing them.

Before that though, watch the coils through test mode and make sure all 6 letters drop in sequence. If they do work properly in test mode, you might have some sort of switch issue where the game isn't actually detecting what targets are actually down at the end of a ball.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks! I love drop targets but they can be such a pain when they don't work correctly.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

Thanks! I love drop targets but they can be such a pain when they don't work correctly.

Agreed.

The majority of drop target problems I've encountered are mechanical related due to wear, corrosion, bent pieces, worn out springs... electrically they are just switches and coils and aren't much different than troubleshooting a slingshot or pop bumper.

#5 3 years ago

I just went through a similar issue on Meteor. Put the game into switch test and make sure each target switch registers with the correct switch number. If that checks out, go back into test mode, hitting the button until 1 is in the credit window. Step through each setting/audit (1-17 I think) by press the test button. If you see trash in the score displays, disjoined numbers like "02 520" clear it using the reset button next to the test button. Restart the game a see if anything changes. I my case I had some bad ram (U8 & U13) that was causing problems. Also, not all of the sounds were there, which is another indicator of bad RAM. I replaced them with some NVRAM (http://pinitech.com/products/stern_mpu200_ram.php , http://nvram.weebly.com/) and it fixed the issue. If the garbage keeps coming back in the audits suspect the RAM.

Another common issue is a PIA failure at U10 and/or U11. An easy way to test is to swap the 2 chips (U10 >U11 and U11>U10) and see if you now have a different problem. If so replace one or both (http://nvram.weebly.com/mc6821p-pia.html).

#6 3 years ago

Great information... thanks everyone!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

The problem is that the ones that drop don't correspond 100% to the state of the targets at the end of the ball.

Does this mean that only some of the dropped ones go back down? Is it always the same ones that don't drop back at the beginning of the next ball? Or do ones that haven't been dropped on the previous ball drop at the beginning of the next?

Did somebody try to rebuild the bank before?

I have a Meteor that used to have an issue like this, and I have a theory about this one, but I need more specific info.

mark

#8 3 years ago

It appears that some that shouldn't drop do, in fact, drop and others that should drop don't. I looked at it a bit tonight and it seems that I have at least one switch that isn't registering correctly but that doesn't explain everything. It might be a combination of mechanical issues and switch input issues. I'm going to look more at it tomorrow.

#9 3 years ago

Do the "bad" targets drop immediately or after a slight pause? If immediate it sounds like the target is not being held by the metal stop correctly. This piece of metal acts as a ledge for a lip near the top of the target. It may need to be bent.. Err I mean adjusted correctly to hold up the target.

If it's after a pause that sounds like the coil is firing at the wrong time, and may be harder to diagnose.

Another issue that I had on mine was needing to bend the entire front of the housing out some to allow enough travel for this metal stop to the coil to allow one to drop when the coil fired.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Do the "bad" targets drop immediately or after a slight pause? If immediate it sounds like the target is not being held by the metal stop correctly. .

Yes, that's what it does. I think that might be it. Will try to take a look at that this weekend. Thanks!

#11 3 years ago

Good luck. The way this target is set to work is the large coil resets all targets, then each target that needs to drop does so one at a time after a bit of a delay from a pull by the small coil for each drop.

FYI it may be easiest to pull the bank from the game to diagnose mechanical problems. It's 4 screws to the playfield and a connector (possibly with a hold down that needs to be unscrewed as well). Then you should be able to take it to the bench. Pull up on the large coil to reset targets up, then pull back the now visible metal bar near the small coils to check drop.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside