• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 5 years ago

The displays decided to start acting up on my meteor. The issue is strange, and I have not encountered it before. Before explaining the issue all connection joints on the displays have been reflowed, and I have moved displays around to see if the issue is display specific.

In attract mode for high score display, the first digit is out on each display. When the high score alternates to "00" in attract mode the third display show "05" and the fourth displays does not light at all. During a game, all displays work properly with the exception of the third display. While scoring points all digits work properly on the third display. However, once the player turn ends the first digit does not light when the current score is displayed.

Am I looking at a MPU problem? It is running an Alltek all-in-one mpu board.

#2 5 years ago

Unplug each display one at a time (with the power off of course) and see if one display is causing all the problems. If so, replace the chip on that display.

#3 5 years ago

What happens when you run a display test...are all the numbers in order all 1s,2,3,4 or out of order?

#4 5 years ago

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I forgot to mention all digits display correctly during the display test.

Unplugging one card at a time does not change the behavior.

This morning the displays decided to act a little differently. During attract mode all digits were displayed except for the first digit. When it alternated to "00" only the first display showed "00". All other displays were blank. During game all displays worked correctly except for the third display which exhibited the same behavior as before.

#5 5 years ago

Some thoughts...

unplug the switches (mpu j2 and j3) to rule out common PIA port between switches and the display is not pulled to ground. sometimes the coin door start button ends up shorting against the grounded coin door and it can muck up the lamps and the displays.

Try one display at a time. I've seen a bad decoder on one display effect the rest.

Put the game is display test and with a logic probe compare display signals leaving j1 to a working game/ mpu.

Gently flex on the MPU board and J1 connector during test to see if the problem comes/goes.

3 months later
#6 5 years ago

Any update on this StratDoc I have a similar issue with my Meteor. Just started out of the blue.
Joe

#7 5 years ago

barakandl posted some excellent suggestions to begin troubleshooting the problem, quoted here:

Quoted from barakandl:

unplug the switches (mpu j2 and j3) to rule out common PIA port between switches and the display is not pulled to ground. sometimes the coin door start button ends up shorting against the grounded coin door and it can muck up the lamps and the displays.

Try one display at a time. I've seen a bad decoder on one display effect the rest.

Put the game is display test and with a logic probe compare display signals leaving j1 to a working game/ mpu.

Gently flex on the MPU board and J1 connector during test to see if the problem comes/goes.

#8 5 years ago

Yes, here is the update.

The pin has an Alltek board. I was having some issues with another pin and pulled the Alltek board from the Meteor and installed it in the problematic pin for troubleshooting purposes. When I reinstalled the Alltek board in the Meteor I began having display issues. I completely cleared the Alltek board - removed battery, did a hard reset - and that resolved the problem. Evidently some of the settings from the other pin did not clear by just resetting the on-board switches. For good measure, I also repinned the connectors from the board.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah you really need to step through and clear each audit one by one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.