IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Does anybody know if the Swinks Stern coin slots will accommodate a SBA coin. I know it's trivial but I would like everything proper. If you look closely these coin slots, they have a longer opening for the SBA. Swinks doesn't have a link to contact unless you have an order number and I haven't ordered yet.

I stumbled across this thread and thought to chime in, I designed the internal slot to be the maximum height and width to allow any coin. Original I helped out a aussie that wanted to accommodate a 20 cent coin which is quite large. If you need a measurement of the auctual designed opening just yell out.

As for Shapeways you can message the designer, near the part is who it is by and you can click the designer and then a new page comes up and then you can contact.

Here is a link to the growing range of my parts and mods
http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinks&sort=newest

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Ordered a couple of these right after the link was posted.

thanks for the support Taylor

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Thanks for the info, do you think maybe in the future Shapeways can remake the credit/start button for the Sterns?

basically yes it is possible.

The way Shapeways works is a designer designs an item and places it on Shapeways and they do a print check via software to see if it will work, once approved it is ready to go. When a item sells Shapeways gets roughly 80% and I get roughly 20% as a royalty payment.

The bonus is I am in Aus and Shapeways is in New York so postage is cheap to the majority of you.

I also recommend becoming a Shapeways member and sign up for email notifications as every few months there is a sale on materials or free postage so some small savings to be had.

As for the credit button I just need real accurate measurements or borrow the part and I can then reproduce an accurate model/part and send it to Shapeways. Shapeways materials will be different to the original part as the white nylon states polished nylon but it isn't shiny because the part had it's particles bound with a laser and tumbled (polished) which is different to injection molding - but for one off part manufacturer is better than nothing.

I refined the search to reproduction parts only at Shapeways for older games. These basically came about through pinheads reaching out to me for a part so did it as a favour but where possible I offered a upgrade so will last longer - like the Bally backbox light shrouds with screw mounted holes or the Bally ball launch arm with added strengthening so to hopefully last alot longer.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinksrepro&sort=popularity

5 years later
#2191 2 years ago

sorry about the price of the repro's - it is set by Shapeways professional printing service - all solid laser bound nylon not hollow prints.

the rib and no rib are to suit a bracket set one way or flipped the other way

#2192 2 years ago

also in my experimenting there is a slight difference in the bottom anchor point of the drop target between the the Bally's and Stern's so they will sit slightly different.

Stern & Bally Comparison (resized).pngStern & Bally Comparison (resized).pngbottom difference (resized).pngbottom difference (resized).pngtop difference (resized).pngtop difference (resized).png
#2194 2 years ago

from my research and experimenting I found it interesting that the top plate can be swapped to suit the long or short catch but do not know the history - I just proved to myself that flipping over the bracket allows the different targets to work.

I was sent a Stern drop assembly to then re-engineer the classic targets and out of curiosity drew up the Ballys to compare purely out of interest.

8 months later
#2502 2 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

i"ve done all the "fixes" on the Meteor drop targets and they still are not always resetting properly. New targets, cleaned and adjusted the frame. Added a thin piece of plastic on reset bar, tightened the springs, the coil tabs are all at 90 degree angles to the plate. Not sure if I missed anything.
Open to any suggestions. thx

Tombstones or hooded targets?

#2506 2 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

They are the hooded ones from PBR.

I am doing reproduction tombstone drops, first batch is pretty much allocated at this stage but will be doing more if there is interest
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tombstone-drop-targets-13a-11-any-interest

here is one pinsider use of them in a meteor with Marco decals

Drop Targets - Meteor (resized).jpgDrop Targets - Meteor (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2518 1 year ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Drop target decals. Anyone here make them? I am thinking of switching the targets themselves out to black as part of my 2021 conversion. The stock decals probably won't look right. Would like a white lettering or maybe orange. Couldn't find anything in the threads for decal making when I searched. TIA.

I started making the tombstone targets and in doing so researched the target decals available
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tombstone-drop-targets-13a-11-any-interest/page/2#post-6894002
haven't seen coloured though would be cool

3 weeks later
#2532 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

A problem started occurring on my Meteor a couple of nights ago that I've not encountered before and I'm looking for some guidance.
I restored this machine 6 months / ~200 games ago and I haven't had the glass off, playfield up, or the backbox open since March till Thursday night when I noticed this behavior.
Meteor has 6 switches that will spot (drop) a drop target in the METEOR bank if the corresponding switch lamp is lit:
Upper Rollover Button
Middle Rollover Button
Lower Rollover Button
Stand-Up Target
Left Return Lane
Right Return Lane
The problem is with the Left Return Lane. When the SPOT TARGET light is off, the switch registers correctly and awards 500 points. When the SPOT TARGET light is on, the switch still registers 500 points and does NOT drop one of the METEOR drop targets. The Right Return Lane, along with all of the others besides the Left Return Lane, operate normally with the correct points (500 with the SPOT TARGET lamp off) and dropping a METEOR target if the lamp is lit (and awarding 2000 points).
Here's what's wrong: If the Right Return Lane SPOT TARGET lamp is lit, and the Left Return Lane SPOT TARGET lamp is NOT lit, and you roll over the Left Return Lane switch, a METEOR target will drop, the score awarded is 2000, and the right SPOT TARGET lamp turns off.
Here's a sort of Truth Table of the what's happening on my Meteor with the red indicating incorrect behavior:
[quoted image]
So mechanically, everything seems to work so I'm not suspecting any wiring or connector issues. Which leaves some sort of logic problem. Not sure where to start?
The MPU is a one-year old Alltek, and I've tried clearing the memory. I do have the original MPU that has some reset issues I haven't fixed yet. It does boot once in a while all the way to attract mode, so I'm thinking of maybe trying that to see if the problem replicates. If it does replicate, then at least I know the issue isn't with the Alltek board.
Thanks in advance for any advice....

what was your playfield again - is it a hard top (much thicker), clearcoated ( a little thicker) - just wondering if your roll over button is affected height wise?

#2534 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

This playfield is a CPR Gold. I did have to trim away some excess clear around the rollover buttons during assembly, but that's fairly common with these CPRs. The rollovers are working fine electronically, and physically they don't bind up at all.
Just to be clear - the issue is with the rollover wire in the Left Return Lane.

no worries, process of elimination + some frustration

4 months later
#2614 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Anyone have suggestions for adjusting these drop targets. I am having issues with some of them falling back down when they reset. It is not consistent but usually at least one falls down.
I have taken it apart and a previous owner replaced the actual drop targets. Everything seems okay mechanically and it works on the bench but not when installed. The drop targets seem to be pressing against the front of the wooden slot in the playfield and I am wondering if this is pushing them back. However, I am also hesitant to start trying to shift the whole assembly back in case it is something simple. My only other thought is that the springs pulling back the holding tabs are not in tension and may not be applying sufficient forward force to the drops when they raise. Any advise would be appreciated.
[quoted image]
Small Springs
[quoted image]
Targets up
[quoted image]
Targets down

The targets you have in your game are hooded and incorrect for the game but sold as the repros from Planetary and PBR but are actually a little more flexible in the plastic type which does affect the use.

check out this thread for info on the proper reproduction shape which are getting great results.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tombstone-drop-targets-13a-11-any-interest

I am not trying to sell my targets, rather don't link seeing people have issues with non correct targets - but just good to know your options

6 months later
#2728 11 months ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Thanks!! I reached out to Swinks.

Sorry, just replied - time difference

Apparently the history is that the original molds were modded to hooded and PBR has that modded mold so the tombstone mold no longer exists.

The issue with the repro hooded ones is many they have too much flexi and bounce back and then forward before the tareget can drop - effectively bricking.

My repros a a replica of the original and are made of solid PA12 Nylon and have been performing well.

5 months later
#2794 6 months ago

What about a custom offset post - happy to design and make one / file available.

Then you could keep the hole and rotate the post to suit - just need some measurements sent and can create that for you guys

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.