IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2605 1 year ago

Anyone have suggestions for adjusting these drop targets. I am having issues with some of them falling back down when they reset. It is not consistent but usually at least one falls down.

I have taken it apart and a previous owner replaced the actual drop targets. Everything seems okay mechanically and it works on the bench but not when installed. The drop targets seem to be pressing against the front of the wooden slot in the playfield and I am wondering if this is pushing them back. However, I am also hesitant to start trying to shift the whole assembly back in case it is something simple. My only other thought is that the springs pulling back the holding tabs are not in tension and may not be applying sufficient forward force to the drops when they raise. Any advise would be appreciated.

IMG_20221025_175848432_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20221025_175848432_HDR (resized).jpg

Small Springs

IMG_20221025_180015938_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20221025_180015938_HDR (resized).jpg

Targets up

IMG_20221025_180030376_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20221025_180030376_HDR (resized).jpg

Targets down

#2607 1 year ago
Quoted from semicolin:

If it works on the bench and not on the board, the process of elimination tells me that the problem is the board. Drop targets should not touch the front edge of the hole in the playfield. I don't think your bank is in exactly the right place.

That was my initial thought but I was hesitant because it either involves slotting the metal holes or filling and re-drilling the playfield which I was hesitant to do.

#2610 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I went through hell last year getting my METEOR drop target bank to work consistently. Ultimately, I got it dialed in with several assists from fellow pinsiders. You can start reading thru the adjustments I made from here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stern-meteor-project/page/4#post-6750766

Thanks, I will take a look.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

When you say, "works on the bench". Does this mean you have it plugged into the harness and the coil test can drop and reset the targets without issue?

Manually, so maybe something is happening "at speed" that I can't see.

#2612 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

In order to get mine right I did it on the bench and used my bench power supply. Many will work by hand but not always when powered.

Off hand do you know what voltage it is? If not I can look it up in the manual.

#2616 1 year ago

Thanks for all the advice. I will try this out tomorrow. Just got back from a long drive to pick up a Spanish Eyes.

#2617 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Ok - this is what you need to do. Lift the playfield to the angle that you use the prop stick. Get a board that is wider than the cabinet and put it across the opening to make a table. Then unscrew the 6 bank and set it on your makeshift table with the harnesses connected. Now turn on your game and run the coil test. Take note of which ones don't drop and turn off the game. There is a little brass set screw for every memory coil. Lossen the ones that don't drop and twist the coil a little to the right or left, tighten and retry the test. You would think the lugs of the coils should all be in line. That is not the case. Some will be off center to work. Repeat this until they all drop in the game controlled coil test.

Well you were right. Even though they work manually they do NOT work reliably when connected. In fact they are pretty random. It is not just one target that fails.

I am going to try Mathazar's fix from his old post first and see if that works for me:

I must've fiddled with adjusting the reset bar a couple dozen times, shimming it, not shimming it, making sure it's not bent, etc. etc. In the end, it was sethbenjamin 's advice to clamp the plunger in the pulled in / up position and adjust the reset bar from there with the targets at a tiny height above the memory coil fingers (instead of adjusting the bar will everything is at rest) that did it. No more randomly falling targets on a reset, but I STILL had one target that would occasionally fall on the first reset, but not subsequent ones.

#2618 1 year ago

Well I think I fixed it. I was trying to figure out what to shim and playing around with it and realized that when I manually drove it I was driving it from the right side (opposite coil) and when I tried to manually drive it from the coil side it wouldn't work every time. The long bar that resets the drops has some slack and droops down near the "R". I loosened the shaft collar on that side and biased it up a little and then it seemed to work. I tested again on the machine and it worked every time.

I am happy it works now but am a little skeptical because it wasn't just the O and R on the end that were falling back down but sometimes the M so it doesn't really make sense that the slack bar was causing that. However it seems to be working for whatever reason so I guess I will just leave it. Thanks for the help.

IMG_20221028_132357208 (resized).jpgIMG_20221028_132357208 (resized).jpg
#2620 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

That is why the stern round rod has that adjustment. Bally uses a spring as a helper on that side, but the differing heights achievable on stern games due to the twist are helpful. Hopefully you didn't have a divot worn into the round rod as even if you adjust it, it will tend over time to go back to the divot. Just rotate the bar way out of the divot or you can get a new one at home depot, lowe's etc. - it's just a round rod.
I assume you checked as well for any slack in the link... and replacing the original metal coil sleeve in the reset solenoid with a nylon type helps a lot as well. The targets reset better with a nice SNAP vs. a slower stroke.

This is a fussy mechanism.

1 year later
#2819 5 months ago

I am restoring my Meteor and my shooter rod has some wear on the chrome. I was looking to replace it but for some reason I can't seem to find an exact replacement. I am sure it is out there somewhere but does anyone know where to find these?

20231102_054717 (resized).jpg20231102_054717 (resized).jpg
#2826 5 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

You can use a Gottlieb A-5920. Pinball Resource has them.
[quoted image]

Awesome, thank you all for the help.

1 month later
#2862 3 months ago

I am rebuilding my Meteor and the power board next to the transformer was all hacked up, I replaced the board but I need to rebuild the connectors. I was hoping some kind soul could take a close picture of the wires on the connectors to the board so I could double check before I rebuild them.

20231223_063145 (resized).jpg20231223_063145 (resized).jpg
#2865 3 months ago

Perfect, thanks a bunch

#2866 3 months ago

There doesn't happen to be a diagram for the "E" numbers from the transformer to the board? I followed the new board directions carefully but it might be good to double check. Not all the transformer post numbers exactly corresponded to the directions (it said they might not) but I think I matched up the "E" numbers correctly.

20231223_063746 (resized).jpg20231223_063746 (resized).jpg

#2868 3 months ago

Thanks again

#2869 3 months ago

Sorry but can you guys sanity check this for me. I have a discrepancy. The instructions for the new board and the schematic have the E1/E2 Red/Yellow swapped. It seems like my red and yellow wires off the transformer are reversed per the instruction expectation. However, it seems like I should default to Lug 5/7 -> E1 and Lug 1/3 -> E2 regardless of wire color?

20231223_102025 (resized).jpg20231223_102025 (resized).jpg20231223_102031 (resized).jpg20231223_102031 (resized).jpg

#2870 3 months ago

Well I think the schematic is throwing me off. I went back to the original board pics and the "E" number and wire colors match exactly the instructions and the instructions say that the "E" number for the new board are the same so I think I should just match original color wire to "E" number and not focus on the transformer lugs or schematic. Per the schematic Lug 1/3 should go to E2 but in the original board Lug 1/3 (red) goes to E1 and this matches the instructions.

20231222_131249 (resized).jpg20231222_131249 (resized).jpg20231223_110130 (resized).jpg20231223_110130 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
3 weeks later
#2897 3 months ago

I am rebuilding my Meteor and just wanted to double check. Is it okay to just straight replace the incandescent with LEDs? Do I need an add-on board or anything? I was also thinking of using Yoppsicles, I used them on my Paragon and it really made the playfield much tidier. I would test it but everything is torn apart.

#2899 3 months ago

Okay that is good. However for the GI they stick up into the playfield and I don't think the Yoppsicles will work well for that so I want to just replace with LED bulbs.

#2902 3 months ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

Flicker isn’t an issue with GI. And sadly they don’t make yoppsicles for GI. I’ve been using the retro bullet bulbs a lot recently from comet. They have a higher dome to them so they are same shape as an incandescent. In the natural white.
Here’s a lost world I’ve been finishing up and tuning the last week. It’s cool white Yoppsicles with natural white bullets.

Perfect, thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.