IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2557 1 year ago

Happy to have just joined the club by purchasing a Meteor that has some project elements, and I'm really looking forward to digging further into this machine. Some of those project elements might be addressed by way of replacing the Bally/Stern rectifier board, which I'm told is a good first step and a good idea or even a must from other pinsiders regardless of machine status. That said, my skills are limited and I want to be sure to choose the simplest route possible with no soldering. Looking at my options and the related instructions for the product, it looks like the xpin replacement board might be the way to go for me:

https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-bly2518-ebr/

Opinions are welcome!

#2558 1 year ago

Weekend bump.

#2560 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I repinned all my connectors at mpu,sdb and rectifier.
Good place to start.
Check into Dick hamills new meteor code once you are up
and running.
It's fantastic.
Also wolfpac led displays in red are a cool feature to add.
Then you don't need the high voltage .
Can sell your old displays .

Have fun.
When I get a new pin i read the entire owners
thread. You will learn alot.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I wish I had the skill level to do repinning. I read just a bit of the thread and did see the new Meteor code and watched the video. Absolutely intriguing. I still have a lot to learn about this title. As you suggested, I will read the full thread.

#2562 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Believe me when I say I have fat sausage fingers but after reading about and watching pindudes youtube video and getting the right crimper and crimps it's not hard.

You just repeat repeat repeat

It feels good to me to actually do minor repairs on boards etc.

Was scared before .

Thanks. Appreciate the encouragement. I used to be scared of soldering as well, but no more. One never knows . . .

2 weeks later
#2568 1 year ago

Can someone please verify the correct fuse value for F4 on the bridge rectifier board? I'm not finding it in the manual.

#2570 1 year ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Can someone please verify the correct fuse value for F4 on the bridge rectifier board? I'm not finding it in the manual.

F4 = 5A

Thanks so much. And for Meteor 2021!

#2571 1 year ago

Glad to say that my project Meteor is now running after I installed a new xpin Bally/Stern rectifier board and a friend diagnosed some MPU problems and replaced a few chips. Now I'm looking into some other upgrades.

Is there an option for plug-and-play low-voltage 7-digit (rather than 6-digit) displays for this title, or am I dreaming?

#2575 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

If you have the right software sure. You do have to run a wire from the mpu board connector to all the displays except the match display (fits in an empty space in the harness).

There are several 7 digit variants of meteor floating around, but I'm not sure if the meteor 2021 on the arduino support it (probably could be added relatively easily if not.... the 7th digit enable isn't used for anything else on mpu200 games when they are 6 digit)

All of the makers of 7 digit bally/stern led displays would be able to be used.... pinitech, wolfpak, pinled, xpin, etc. (except maybe the xpin 7volution displays, they do something different)

Very detailed. Thanks!

Quoted from slochar:

I no longer have extra ROM chips to do this but the software is now at http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/

Again, thanks!

#2577 1 year ago
Quoted from Evets:

And now I've learned that slochar is seymour.shabow. I mention this only because you helped me quite a bit in the RGP days when I was starting out, and I'm delighted to learn that you are still here. Anyways, thanks for all the help when I first got into the hobby.

Evets--you're most welcome. Glad I was of some help to you in the past, limited as I am in my skillset. I would never have sustained this long in the hobby without the help of pinsiders.

On the 7-digit display upgrade, I've decided against it and will likely stick with my original displays (or add 6-digit replacements) and invest my Meteor money into other upgrades. Still troubleshooting some minor switch issues and considering those other upgrades, so I'm sure I'll be posting more questions to this thread. Again, thanks for your advice, and long live pinside!

#2579 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

If you do the Arduino/2021 Code update mod to your MPU, not only do you get a very cool new rule set and sound package but your 6-digit displays will do 7-digit scoring (via scrolling). I love it.

This is exactly the upgrade I am thinking of once I'm done troubleshooting the few remaining issues, and part of why sticking with the 6-digit works for me. Thanks for confirming.

#2580 1 year ago

When I boot my MPU--the original board--I get two beeps, then a pause--followed by five beeps. Can someone confirm if this is the correct number of beeps or whether it's implicating an MPU chip issue?

#2583 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's fine it corresponds to the LED flashing during the bootup tests.

The 3rd beep takes a longer time than the equivalent flash on a bally board because stern has a full byte on the 5101 pair instead of a nibble on the bally boards, so it's got more values to test in the ram than the bally does.

Superb. Thanks!

#2584 1 year ago

Thanks, Mathazar, for these videos. They are indeed most helpful and give me more and clearer detail about Meteor 2021 than any of the other related videos I've seen. Especially after seeing these, I am considering buying the Arduino/2021 kit from pinside. However, my key limitation is that I know nothing about installing a speaker or amp in a pin and how difficult this task would be for me if I had the 2021 kit. I'm not interested in anything high-end--I'd be very happy with just a basic speaker that would be easy to work with, but I'm not even sure what to buy--much less how to hook up a speaker from scratch in a Meteor with this mod. Is there perhaps a thread or video that gives such detail? Any advice would be appreciated.

#2586 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

This thread will be of interest to you - it was started by Dick Hamill (the guy who wrote the Meteor 2021 code and sells the complete Arduino kit) - lots of good info there:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979

In short:
- You can use a simple sound bar for a speaker. You wire it to amp.
- You do need an external amp as the WAV trigger board in the Arduino kit can't drive speakers....it's just a "line out". The amp can be as simple or complex as you want or need. You can retrofit it somewhere in the pin cabinet or it can be outside, doesn't matter. Here's a link to the amp I used....$30 on Amazon: amazon.com link »

Great. I will study up. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=joeschall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.