IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1671 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Price check: I have a Meteor playfield...good condition. Drops are there, all of the posts are there, rails and guides there...spinner is missing. only the upper left corner plastic is there. the dead bumpers are gone (but I have some others) and the "live" bumper is gone above the playfield...everything is present below the playfield. Flippers are there.
No real wear. There is some slight cupping but not enough to materially impact gameplay.
If you were going to unexpectedly sell this, what's fair?

the spinner missing is a tough one, not always easy to find the right stern replacement...

#1675 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

PBR sells some old stock Brunswick spinners cheap that should be compatible.

Note that 'compatible' isn't the same as correct, even with a decal. Stern spinners of this era seem to be lighter than others, so you often aren't going to get the same spins.

I agree, they are cross compatible but i remember seeing a side by side comparison showing slight difference. I should actually pull one out from each type of machine and size/weight them

#1688 3 years ago

coin door and cabinet look good, PF have seen a good life. I think you right in writing off the MPU but you never know!

#1695 3 years ago

the MPU looks good from here, cut the battery off and you should be good to go, lucky!

#1698 3 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Lol yeah I completely missed the single battery. Displays don’t come on, just a couple orange dots. And no solenoids fire nor will a game start. There’s issues somewhere, just gotta find them. Might be easier once I get it unloaded and can check fuses, etc

the one thing I always do is replace the rectifier board and repin its connectors. Some $ and time but always save future headaches

#1710 3 years ago

I like the PBL ones myself, since i always order form there and it comes with the whole set of accessories

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1737 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Thats what I ended up doing, but especially with the solder on it, it barely fit into the slot, took a few tries. And in order to get them to twist together well, I had to strip them further, so you can still see a bit of the copper once inserted, which worries me (probably fine though)

Can you post a pic of the end result Zac? I am curious to see what it ended up looking like

2 weeks later
#1772 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

My last effort before I punt.
I tried putting in a new sdb and new mpu and I get the same result. ( already new rectifier) No firing of any coils. All the voltage tp are normal and the coils have voltage at the lugs. The connectors have been replaced at some point as well, don’t look bad.. does it have to be a connector ?

wait so with the big bank unplugged all the machine coils are fine but when you plug the bank, all the coil stop working but no fuse blow? That is pretty strange since the coils are driven by their own transistor.
I assume if you desolder the bank coils (Voltage and groun wire) but plug in the rest of the bank then the machine coils work fine? That would isolate it to the bank coil, coil diode or wiring (backward?)...

#1774 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

so before it worked with the bank not connected. Now it doesn’t work no matter

Well at least it makes sense your "most likley" bank bad coil/diode/wiring must have shorted the under PF fuse or the rectifier fuse. I would check and replace those then unsolder the coils on your bank, plug the bank in without a connect coil and turn the game back on.

If everything works with that one coil off at least you have identified the issue at the bank coil.

#1776 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I’ve checked and even replaced all
The fuses on the rectifier. As well a new rectifier with new fuses. I’ve also pulled the unpf fuse 3 x to check it and it’s good as well..
I had hoped switching the boards would have done it but even the new sdb showed all leds signaling power.
Thank you for reply

that is weird, have you check if you get power to your coils from the wire directly? It would help to know if it a power issue to the coil or a grounding issue. Hard to imagine that it wouldn't be a power issue to the coils if none of them work. If you don't find your 43VDC at the coil, or any of them, then trace it back, if it is not the fuse, it could be fuse clip, broken wires, bad connector/pins, etc...

If you have power to all your coil but none work then that gets more complicated as there is serious logic issue from your SDB and MPU so none activate...

#1781 3 years ago

I always keep a copy of the instructions that comes with PBL rectifier board, I have also added a picture of my Meteor rectifier board cabling. The info should be in the manual as well but let me know if you need more info:

20201013_111246 (resized).jpg20201013_111246 (resized).jpg
20201013_111258 (resized).jpg20201013_111258 (resized).jpg

#1784 3 years ago
Quoted from GeoKansas:

wire that is secured to the base transformer (front left side) and what that wire is connected to. I think I forgot to do this and why my Meteor is on the fritz.

The green wire coming out of connector J3-1 you mean? Those are playfield wires, looking at the Manual/Schematics
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1580/Stern_1979_Meteor_Manual.pdf
Page 35, It says General Illumination return for your backbox, i doubt that would be the issue.

Are you getting the 120VAC to the rectifier board? On J2-6 and 7? Any power on the testing point? Did you check the F6 on the rectifier board which is your incoming power?

#1786 3 years ago
Quoted from GeoKansas:

I really just want to know where the bottom wire bolted on the TRANSFORMER's left front post is connected to. When I took both the rectifier and the transformer out to repin my connectors I must of misplaced this wire and forgotten where it goes. I know there is a wire coming from the bottom left screw lug on the transformer. I just don't know where or what it connects to between the rectifier and the transformer. I think it goes to a cluster of other wires that are strewed to the board somewhere in that area. Thank you for your reply. Any photos showing this specific area would be greatly appreciated.

i'll have to have a look but did your transformer has lug labeling on its wrapper? you can cross reference lug number to rectifier board position from the instruction sheet i posted earlier.

#1790 3 years ago

duplicate

1 week later
#1804 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Joined yesterday. Project game in
Chicago. Not booting fully. Buddy has
working mpu for me. Will get it working
then gonna refurbish. Excited to be in club.
Getting ready to read this entire thread.
[quoted image]

serious tape job to keep that door close!

2 weeks later
#1845 3 years ago

that looks pretty awesome... with an extra fan too?

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

There's all kind of wires soldered in the back of the rectifier board as well, so it worries me a bit to figure out where they are all going, but I'm willing to dive in with a good copy of the schematics to trace everything correctly. Its definitely odd to have the bridge piece in between the molex connectors and the rest of the wiring... I'm glad there are replacement rectifier boards out there and the prices aren't bad. I'll definitely use new molex connectors since I noticed the large one at the bottom is in two pieces with some burn marks.

the stern rectifier board on Pinballlife comes with full wire color schematics and connectors kit, it should sort out your problem

5 months later
#1990 3 years ago

that's a cool idea, i'd defintely but some for fully restored project like QS, SG, Cheetah, Seawitch

#1997 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Thanks!
Now I'm super confused though. I'm almost certain the double blue wires from the loom were hooked to an outer lug BEFORE I messed with anything, with the orange wire from the loom being on the opposite side (pretty sure I reversed them and caused a dead short, killing both coils). So, double blue on center lug... Not outer, opposite to the orange wire from there loom? And orange on the outer lug on the NON banded side of the diode?

i thought it was weird when i look at the picture, the power to the flipper coil is always on the outside, the banded side of the diodes, middle one is the other side of the EOS, and the opposite is for the ground. The power is often the one with the double wire to take it to the other flipper.
While on a double stack sw for the upper flipper the ground also connect to the 2nd stack that close when the flipper is up, moving ground to the upper flipper

20210419_201350- (resized).jpg20210419_201350- (resized).jpg

#2013 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

The double blue is on the outer lug. It's just the angle of the picture. Sorry for the confusion.

whoa i see it now, crazy! I was really wondering how that could work with the V to the center lug

#2047 2 years ago

and obviously taking the board out, it could be a connector thing but i would clear the audit first, reboot and see if starts fine, add some credit and try to start a game.

1 month later
#2080 2 years ago

it may have been a previous version without the post, then was added later in the run, they made tons of those

1 month later
#2163 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

PBR sells them

Pinballife has the whole assembly though not the insert by itself:
https://www.pinballlife.com/star-rollover-assembly.html

1 week later
#2176 2 years ago

i think i used replacement from pinballlife before but i am pretty sure they were plastic
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=grill

1 month later
#2293 2 years ago

i may had that to my game when i go through them. i had a machine i bought where the knocker was missing but the spot where it was all nice and crispy, some of the wire directly above the it under the PF seemed to have gotten hot too...

1 week later
#2299 2 years ago

wasn't Meteor type 1 plate like the older Stern? I guess if you get a full replacement assembly and not reusing the shooter shaft flipper bat then it should be fine?

#2302 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The gen 1 isn't a bad design except for where the plate cracks at the weak spot.

for sure, most of the machine i worked on with gen 1 had at one broken plate on that narrow section :/

4 months later
#2471 2 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Picked up a Meteor that was at the Lake Placid 1980 Winter Olympic Park, from what I know there are only two. Needs a good cleaning, will post some pictures when I'm done.
[quoted image][quoted image]

very cool!

3 months later
#2542 1 year ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I have an issue on my meteor. When i start the machine, the system boots, goes into attract mode and i get alternating 40 and 180 on the display. Has anyone seen this before?

bad MPU? original or repro? Any acid damage

#2549 1 year ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

Original mpu. Fully working for the yr that I have had it. Looks like there had been acid damage but was taken care of before i got it.

if you have another one lying around, i would try to swap and test. See if you can confirm it comes from the MPU.

5 months later
#2645 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

yeah, that's right, forgot about the scrolling feature. Thought about adding that to some games for 8 digit scoring....
rarely comes up though.
I wish the bally/stern displays were like the gottlieb ones where you had control over all segments so I could put text on the displays.

Talking about Weebly MPU board, is there a way to update the game code from an older board to the latest version?

7 months later
#2746 9 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

The N bobbin just has the lugs on the side rather than the top. Not sure why that really matters, but a stern J-26-1200 of Bally AN-26-1200 works just as well.
Put an in-line fuse on that buster when you reinstall.

i always forget about that...

3 months later
#2830 5 months ago

not full proof but i usually like using the Titan db, the original manual are often wrong-

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/3087

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00
$ 199.95
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=hisokajp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.