IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

272 posts in this topic match your search for posts by coyote. You are on page 1 of 2.
#3 8 years ago

Wouldn't mind adding one to my permanent collection. Meteor was the first pin I've EVER played, broke, and helped fix. When I was 10.

8 months later
#63 8 years ago

Apparently I'm a member.

I'm not sure if I lucked out or not, but $300 for a game. Pretty much sight-unseen. The backglass is in *great* condition, and PF is good at worst. The MPU needs to be replaced, battery acid, I believe.

I pick it up this coming Thursday, so..

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Apparently I'm a member.
I'm not sure if I lucked out or not, but $300 for a game. Pretty much sight-unseen. The backglass is in *great* condition, and PF is good at worst. The MPU needs to be replaced, battery acid, I believe.
I pick it up this coming Thursday, so..

Yup. Apparently, I bought a Meteor. The owner wanted $300, and I couldn't really say no, even sight-unseen.

Picked it up today, and nothing majorly destroyed - just *extremely* dirty. Backglass is an B+ or A, and the playfield has no bare-wood wear, only some dirt ground into the paint up at top and insert edge wear. Amazingly, my QA label is still on the playfield - my game's birthdate, Oct 19th, 1979..
YhwVWXP_(resized).jpgYhwVWXP_(resized).jpg

So, a couple questions - does everyone's game have this? 'Bat Power Control', hooked into the upper flipper:
svG7wB3_(resized).jpgsvG7wB3_(resized).jpg

And what am I missing down here on the transformer pad?
CtknpOm_(resized).jpgCtknpOm_(resized).jpg

And, finally, I'm not getting my MPU to boot up. However, readong online, I should have a 'flicker' before the flashes start. I don't get a flicker - my LED goes on as soon as I turn the game on, stays on for a half a second before going out. Is that a 'flash', or is that the flicker? (I'll post a video tomorrow of the LED..)

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Nice find. Mine was from January 1980 and I don't have the flipper control knob. In terms of what you are missing on the transformer board... The transformer is normally farther back on the spot that's faded... The rectangle in the back is the paper explaining the transformer wiring.

Thank - Yeah, I'm in the mode right now of trying to figure out what was added by previous operators/owners, and what's original. There are some strange things (but nothing hugely wrong!)- like an empty lamp socket not screwed down, no bulb. No clue as to why it's like that - couldn't replace the bulb, or maybe the SCR's stuck on? So, the apparently 'flipper power control' is the biggest (possible) non-factory thing that was added. My driver board was replaced by a Bally-labeled one, though the MPU and other boards are Stern. Someone, at some point, removed the battery and added a 3-AA holder, but I do not think they added a diode to stop the charging. D'oh.

Until I get past the booting issues, I won't be able to check the lamps/switches etc. The rocket targets all seem to work fine by hand, the Meteor targets, however, are sticky and the mech will need to be cleaned.

And thden I'll need new rubbers, bulbs, *possibly* playfield glass and legs, at least.

#69 8 years ago

And here's a question for everyone -

Anyone know the two different sizes of star posts? Some (like slingshots and up by the 'METEOR' targets) are *slghtly* shorter than the ones out along the edges of the field. I needs to get a handful of new ones (or each size!), and would hate to get the wrong ones, or two handfuls of the same size..

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

Can the lamp sockets in the bonus lights be replaced? I have a few that are flakey but don't see how they can be replaced. If so, does anyone sell the sockets? Or does anyone sell the whole bar with the sockets?

I think those sockets can't be replaced on the bracket - would need to buy 6 or 7 individual sockets (which are still sold..). IMHO, i wouldn't replace the bracket, and go for individual sockets.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

No problem. I wish someone would make a circuit board version like they did for the old KISS.

I was actually considering this when I posted my reply. I may make up a board, for kicks. Don't think it'd be worth it in the end, though.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I was actually considering this when I posted my reply. I may make up a board, for kicks. Don't think it'd be worth it in the end, though.

Okay, question - since work is real slow, I threw together a board outline. But figured I'd ask ya'll - if you're interested, what you'd prefer:

(1) A single board for the three rockets, or a board that only handles one row of the rockets. (The latter, one extra board will get you the spinner lights, as well..!)

.. and ..

(2) How to connect the wires? I can either: (1) make simple solder pads for each wire, (2) give each connection a single-pin molex header, or (3) A single molex header for the whole board? (1 would require soldering wires in. 2 would require crimping on a header. 1 & 2 would require no wire cuts - meaning you could jump back to the old style easily. 3 would require trimming wires and crimping on a header.)

--Me.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

A PCB for the rocket lamps would be nice. I would prefer a header pin type connection. It would involve adding wires and crimping but I think it would look better when done. Only neg I see is that the PCB would have wedge base twist in sockets? Those are typically 555 lamps and they do run hotter than #44 lamps.

Yeah, that's one of the downsides. There are no 'screw-in' bayonet bases. There are a couple solder-in #44 bases, however, that would mean that: (1) Longer standoffs are used, which are harder to find unfortunately, and (2) when a bulb goes, you'd have to remove the whole thing. So, I went with the same ones used on WPC games, so that they'd be interchangeable.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Going back to the beginning of when you posted pics of your transformer, It looks like the transformer was replaced with a different one. It should be stamped 16B on the top. This is where you need to start, check voltages at the rectifier board's test points and then the solenoid driver test points. The game will never boot if it doesn't get 5V and 12V. It also needs the coil voltage for the 7th flash. If the sound board is working, the game will chime with every flash of the MPU, the flicker doesn't chime and is very quick blink og the LED.

Well, I made progress since then. My MPU is a little strange in the fact that the first 'flicker' isn't a 'flicker'. It's more of a 1.5 to 2 second fade. Turn the game on, the LED instantly comes on and a hum eminates from speaker. After about 1.25 seconds, the LED will quickly fade off, and the hum will diminish. Then the first blink comes.
My problem was - I wasn't sure if that first on time was 'the flicker' or the first flash. If it was the flicker, it meant my 5101 chips were bad. So, I just got a used MPU off of here (I posted a wanted ad) and sure enough - if has a quick flicker and flashes. So, I snagged the 5101 chips, plugged them into my board, and yup, it powers up. So, I have a (mostly) working game. A *LOT* of bulbs out, broken drop targets... all rubbers were removed (waiting on new ones to arrive now). All coils worked, haven't gotten to the flippers yet.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

One of my Meteors had the the lamp socket mod where you solder the control wire directly to the center tab of the socket. Look at pinwiki. It's a lot of work but it's reliable since the connection goes directly to the bulb, eliminating the current to flow from the solder tab to the bulb. This is where they fail because over the years, the insulator dries out and shrinks, causing the bulb to stay loose and not make good contact with bulb tip. Remember, controlled lamps are switched through the ground side of the circuit. The positive voltage comes from the trace wire under the pf. So basically the base of the socket is the hot side.

Yeah, I saw that. Honestly, I'd rather go the easy route (for me?) and make a small board to mount in there. Since I don't plan on LEDding it out (at least for now, I haven't seen any good LEDed Meteors yet..!) I would hate to have to unscrew that specific row to get to a single bulb.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'm glad your game is running now, yeah sometimes ya gotta spend some cash. It's odd that the you only got 1 flash. usually it's 2 flashes when 5101 is bad. The 5101 sockets are subject to corrosion if the battery leaked, it's a good idea to replace them as this may give you more trouble down the road, usually when you have people over for a pin party lol.

*Was* working. I swear, I have hte worst luck as a tech. Was great when I was getting paid for it, but now.. arg.

New rubbers showed up today, as well as the NVRAM card. Pop out my 5101's and pup in the NVRAM. Turn game on, confirm it boots, and all's good. Turn game off. Start putting in new rubbers. Most of them go in alright, but find out that dumb-arse me ordered too many 1.25" and no 1"'s. Luckily, the 1.25"s fit just well. (Does anyone's machine actually follow the manual layout for rubbers around the upper flipper?) Flip switch, and.. .nothing. No hum from speaker, no life whatsoever. Arg. Getting voltage at the cable, and the .. (crap, I can't remember the name of it - small silver box back at the back of the cabinet. Traffic control cabinets use them too, but they're muxh larger. I just can't remember the name right now..) Anyways, getting power at the power switch input. Nothing on the output side. Seriously. I somehow *broke my game's power switch*. Holy carp.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Check out Pinball Life for the flipper mechs.
I'll be restoring my Meteor next year. The pf is currently getting restored, I have a NOS back glass and cab stencils. May try to have a cab reproduced since mine is rough.

My BG is in really good condition, with only a few scratches in it. My PF is useable - a small worn spot in one of the rocket's white exhaust, so it's not noticeable. However, a LOT of planking. I have it all waxed now, and it's smooth as butter - but you can feel the 'planks' as you draw your hand over. I was going to wait on getting PF done to see if CPR was going to reproduce them.

Next on the job is to rebuild all the drop targets & mechs. (New ones on order..) Then I'll attack flippers.

While I'm thinking about it, does your (or anyone's, again) game have an unused GI hole in the back of the playfield - one on either side under the large arch plastics? Mine have holes, but no sockets. Was curious if that was normal.

--Me.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I actually prefer the 555 screw in sockets on a board like WPC. I run LEDs (using 2LED frosted) so it doesn't matter if they run hotter. I would like it if you added a resistor to the circuit. Or at least, the holes for them so people can do LED mod.
Would you do the METEOR lamps too?
I would prefer three separate boards. would be nice if they screwed in the same holes.
A single connector would be cleaner but not reversible.
Not sure if the METEOR and Spinner lamp banks are the same width (I think so), but if so, you could run a six lamp board and a 7 lamp board. Then you would need three of each for most of the lamps in the game.

The spinner and rocket lamps are all the same distance apart. (The spinner just wouldn't use the last socket, same as it is now with the metal brackets.) So one design of the board could be used 4 times and handle the rockets and spinner. Another board would need to be done to handle the Meteor targets - different light spacing. D'oh.
I thought about the resistor, but the difficult part is being able to fit the board next to each other - the space required would make them a very tight fit. I should have a drawing for a sample board tomorrow or Friday to show, in either case.

I'm swapping my time between actually working on my game, trying to get it up and operational, to my actual job and these boards. Fun!

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from Spamman2k:

I just joined the club! yay! my play field looks real bad, other than that it plays great. from what I see in this thread, it looks like I will be having a hard time finding a new play field :-/

13120429_1163832296992243_246220804_o_(resized).jpg

That looks like the one that was at the Gettysburg auction last weekend.

CPR *may* be doing a repro run of them; they're taking votes now - you can so submit your vote at:
http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think this could be a good switch replacement: ebay.com link
The silver box is a line filter and the red thing on it is the MOV or surge suppressor. These rarely fail, I only replace them when doing a full resto.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

I'd like to see how these come out and will buy if you make extra. On my first Meteor, I just replaced all the rocket lamps with new single mount sockets and it was alot of work. Also tight with not much room to change a bulb.

Thanks, I'm seeing if I have a switch laying around, if not, I'll order that. Soimple switch. Just.. surprised and annoyed that.. somehow I broke *that*. Sheesh.
And yeah - seeing the other replies, yeah, I could just directly solder them. My main concern is having to remove the whole thing to replace a bulb, moving it may cause wires/solder points to fail again. So, I should have a drawing of a board up soon, and I may order a set for myself to try out first, then either make the PCB file public (so you can go make your own) or order them if folks want. I'm not planning on making any money off of them. (No need to..)

#90 7 years ago

Quick question -
Will these new drop targets work? (On right. Note the long ridge under the three, down the center of the shaft. My original doesn't have it, and the small half moon is what catches and keeps the target up.)

IMG_20160428_210058_(resized).jpgIMG_20160428_210058_(resized).jpg

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

The left one looks like a Bally drop target and the one on the right a Stern.

You have GOT to be f*ckin' kidding me.
After I posted that pic, the top of the 'R' DT came out of the game (it was broken in half, one of the reasons I ordered new targets) and IT matches the one on the right - the new ones. I went online to look at other drop targets for 'stern' (i.e. Marco's) and they all match the one on the right as well. I also found a drawing of the assembly, and mine looks almost identical - the ONLY difference is that in the pic (ref, here: http://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/D-393-3-L/large.jpg ) the switches seem to be mounted on the bottom. Mine are on the back. But all the brackets look to be the same.

Can anyone get a closeup pics of one (don't matter which rocket #..) of their assemblies? Would love to use it for reference.

I'll try reassembling it with the new targets, but I'm not sure what catches the target to hold it up. Currently, it's the small half-moon at the taper. If the small extension there is supposed to hold it up, that may be a little too high out of the playfield? I'm not sure. I'll give it a try tonight.

i swear, this game is gonna make me go bald.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

All of my Stern Drop targets look like the one on the right with the long ridge. The chiclet/tombstone ones and the hooded. They rest on a metal ledge that is on the inside of the mechanism under the playfield.
Inside_Drop_targets_(resized).JPG
Drop_switches_(resized).JPG

AH! hah!
Thanks! That answers it.

On mine, that bracket that you say they rest on, is mounted the other way - the flat is up against the bottom of the playfield. And my switches look just like yours.

I can't even guess to say how this happened, and.. would probably just get a headache trying to figure it out.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

The one on the right is the newer stern style, circa 1980, started on later run of meteor. Some of the later Meteor had these targets on the upper bank. To use the the newer (hooded style) you need to change all of them to match. The earlier flat targets is called "chicklet" style. What is the T you need? I have extras...

Thanks for the information. My game's dated Oct '79, but there's no way of telling what previous owners/operators did. And thanks for the offer - I don't need any targets, I actually bought a complete set (all 15), since they all were horribly worn, replaced, or broken. I just was comparing the one I took out to the one I put in (before dismantling everything else) and then noticed the style/ridge difference.

--Mike

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It's not Bally, rather early Stern. A Bally target will not work in a Stern DT bank. If you look at some earlier stern such as Hot Hand or Dracula, you will see these "chicklet" targets.

Interesting. What changes were made in the assembly to support these? Anything other than flipping the top plate?

I went ahead and reassebled my #3 Rocket assembly. I reversed the top plate and installed it. While it *technically* works, I do NOT like these targets. First off, they sit lower, so the artwork gets cut off. (And, if the artwork was higher, it'd be visually cut off by the top lip of the 'tombstone'.

Here's a shot of my new #3, and an shot of the existing #2 -
IMG_20160429_220703_(resized).jpgIMG_20160429_220703_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160429_220651_(resized).jpgIMG_20160429_220651_(resized).jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice right now, as all the DT banks - except for #2 - had broken or missing targets. D'oh. So they'll all get replaced. But I'll be looking for new targets in the 'chicklet' style. Heh.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That's a good question, but sorry I don't have an answer. I'm not sure if they changed the mechanism along with the targets. My theory is that they made the later targets with the lip on top because the flat ones were often getting broken from hard hits. The hooded target seems more robust. Now the numbers sitting low on the pf could be another issue. Is it possible that the 3 is stamped too low? I have an NOS number 3 target here and the 3 is about 1/16 below the underside of the lip. When I have a chance I'm going to measure the 2 styles side by side and see what the difference is. Also where did you buy the repro targets from?

Be interesting to see what you measure. ALL of my targets are low (I've now done the 1's and 2's, and they sit low also.. The 'METEOR' targets I'm working on now.) I compared a good tombstone target from the METEOR stack to one of the new ones, and they looked similar - the body of the old one was taller / longer, which made it stick out of the playfield higher. But like, a fraction of an inch. That, combined with a lower ink on the numbers could very well cause this.

And, sorry to everyone else for flooding/spamming the thread with my drop-target issues. Honest. If someone wants to post LED pics or something, feel free.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Yes, but my Stern chiclet/tombstone targets have that same ridge.

I just finished going through the 'METEOR' targets. They (both chicklet and tombstone - they were mixed) all did have the ridge - the ridge sits on the coil latch for release. These - the new ones I got - also sit a lot better on these than putting the ridged ones in the rocket targets. Strange, but I'll take it for now.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yes PBR and classic arcades also sells them but I don't know if his are from the same mold. Another PITA is "bricking" with the repro targets, but that's a whole other issue. Also the memory coil release levers have to be tweeked on the METEOR dt bank.

Dumb question - what is 'bricking'?

And yeah, when I put in my new targets, I had to adjust both the springs (tighten them) and the release coil latches - had to lower them a *touch*.

#116 7 years ago

Oh, another dumb question -
The ribbon cables from my sound board (two of them) have 1 less pin than the header on the MPU. (So there are two unused pins on the MPU..) What's the right orientation for these?

Played the first game on my game since I brought it home. Flippers need to be rebuilt, switches adjusted, but it's solid. I'm happy with it. Had fun playing a game. Not bad for a $300 game.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Bricking is when you hit a drop target dead on and it doesn't drop. Notorious Stern thing. I think it is more with the repro targets being more flexible than original. If your game has sound, leave the ribbon cables alone. There are unused pins on the J5 header of the mpu. IIRC they are the 2 far right side. My Meteor is all apart right now so I can't tale any pics.

Ah! Huh. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

I had to disconnect the cabels when I was working on my MPU, and just never reconnected them. Now that the rebuilding is done on the DTs, need to finish hooking up the sound. Thanks.

#121 7 years ago

Thanks - got it! I guess the IRQ from the MPU (pin 34) isn't used? Seems odd, but hey, what do I know.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Also looks like you are missing the instruction card (am currently redoing all of mine).

Meteor_transformer_instructions_(resized).jpg

Actually, I have that one - it had been pushed back into the back of the cabinet - I found it after I took my picture. I have all of those sheets that Lovef2k has - though I'll likely take him up on the deal once I go to rebuilding and repainting my cabinet.

I'm still working on the lamp boards - it's a little more difficult than I anticipated, due to the small size (width) they have to be to fit in along side each other on the rocket bonus lamps. I leave for California in a couple days, so I likely won't be able to continue laying out the board until I get back.

#135 7 years ago

Is the 'Ball in Play' lamp behind the backglass supposed to be 'always on'? Wondering if I have a short in my lamp driver board..

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

No, only when game is active for the specific player, probably a shorted scr, easy fix. If you go LED then you might as well buy the Alltek lamp driver board since it has a jumper to eliminate strobing. Jumper connects to the feature lamp bus inside the backbox behind the lamp/display board to the Alltek board. I see them all the time for $99.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably be getting a new board, since in addition to that one stuck on, I have a handful that aren't lighting at all.

#143 7 years ago

Looking good!

What black did you use for the base?

1 week later
#162 7 years ago

Hey guys -
Come cabinet questions...

Were the legs stainless or grey-painted?
Anywhere to get new legs?
Will newer leg plates (mounted inside of cabinet, that bolts screw into) work in the cabinet?
Any place have new siderails?

-Mike

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

While waiting for paint to dry, time to tackle the rectifier board - will replace with a new PinHead board

What is a "PinHead" board?

#185 7 years ago

Was Meteor's door textured like that? Mine's stainless..

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I have never seen a stainless coin door on a stern. I know the early games like wild fyre and stampede had a grey painted door non-hammer tone, just smooth. Post a pick of it.

Okay, I was wrong. Apparently, it was textured grey. However, because of it's age and something some previous operator did, it's feels sanded smooth and done up in silver. I can feel the texture in the paint, but it's real light. I mistook it for stainless until I got close enough to study it.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Willathrilla:

Having the same issue. I tried shortening the springs, they're a little better but still not good.

Quoted from SealClubber:

Has anyone had an issue with the repro drop targets not staying up? If so, anyone know a fix?

Curious, how do your targets sit? Is the text cut off on the bottom, on the playfield?

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Something a little different...

Looking really good! I may steal that in years to come when I rebuild my cab..

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

That cab look great.
Yes my letters are a little cut off at the bottom.

My repros sit like that, and mine fall off too, see below..

Quoted from Willathrilla:

Here's how mine sit

Yours look perfect. Next time I go downstairs, I'll need to compare how high your text is on the targets - it's possible my text is just lower than it should be.

I did notice that my targets, *in general* are lower than they should be - when they're down, they sit below the playfield. Occasionally a ball will get stuck in this lower section, resting against a target that's up.

Mine fall off sometimes - when reset, maybe 80% of the time, one (usually the 1st 'E') will fall back down. Getting the reset coil to go higher may help - I'll have to try this. Not necessarily for the actual *height*, but more time for the target to 'settle down', fall forward and hold against the memory latch.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is the 'Ball in Play' lamp behind the backglass supposed to be 'always on'? Wondering if I have a short in my lamp driver board..

Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, thanks. I'll probably be getting a new board, since in addition to that one stuck on, I have a handful that aren't lighting at all.

For the record, on my game, the 'Ball In Play' isn't controlled, it's part of the GI. I thought that's strange, but.. owell.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Yeah it was probably repainted. The rustoleum hammer tone silver is almost identical to the original finish. It takes some practice getting the hammer effect to spray evenly. It's great for the legs as well.

Good to know! Once I finish with the PF and move on to the cabinet, I'll give it a shot.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Busy weekend - coin door fully restored. Will buy a new lock since the plating is falling off.

Woah, woah, woah... No coin lock-out coil?

Quoted from Gryphun:Also replaced the speaker and polished the metal.
This speaker was recommended to me since its 8ohm, 92dB sensitivity, and response range is 70-9kHz - perfect for the highs, build up, and lows of meteor.
My daughter picked the color for the speaker mount (she wanted it to match the purple on the back glass)

Interesting to see how this speaker sounds..!

On another note - is there a replacement MPU board available that still USES ROMs, and isn't an all-in-one like the 'Ultimate' board?

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Nothing actually, I don't know why he raised his price so much. Still even with either Alltek or Twobits, there's no free play option. Only Free play on Bally games. Coyote doesn't want the Alltek so that's my only other suggestion. Heck, for the money you can have the original MPU rebuilt if it's worthy.

Yeah, didn't realize it was that expensive. I'll keep my original board. There was a reason, but at the moment, I can't remember what it was. I'm getting old.

#220 7 years ago

Idiot question guys..

I got new flipper assemblies since mine are so out of whack they're unsalvageable. What is the part # (or link to) a switch that the lower right flipper uses on the EOS switch to activate the upper right switch? And, what switch should be used on the cabinet for the flipper buttons?

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

You order the standard EOS switch that comes in the rebuild kits, and add-on a Bally EOS form A (BLY-ASWA-1045). I got mine at PBR, Marco also lists them.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/ASW-A10-45
You have to stack the switches on the same screw as the original.

Got ya, thanks!

Last stupid question for tonight - did the Meteor originally ship with red flipper buttons, or white? (My game has one of each, so..)

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Mine were white. Soon to illuminated red

Quoted from SealClubber:

I think original were white but red looks better IMO.

I'm leaning towards the red. What're you using to light them up, Gryphon?

#227 7 years ago

Wow.. clean flippers. All mine are toast - wouldn't surprise me if they're original to the game, so I decided to change them all over to the WPC type. If anyone wants the old mechs, send me a message here..

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Ordered a couple of these right after the link was posted.

You go for white, or a color?

#246 7 years ago

I hope you guys don't start calling me an outcast now..

....Sorry.

IMG_20160530_172046_(resized).jpgIMG_20160530_172046_(resized).jpg

#253 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I will probably do that to all my future Bally Sterns. Replacing the originals is expensive.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

They look good, how is the game play?
And yes... Do you use the fat stern/Bally bats?

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Did you use the OEM Stern bats?

I actually haven't played it yet. I ran into an issue with the bats - Of the three bats, I have two different kinds, and I'm not sure which is normal, but only one type will work -

The upper one has the screw-in base, to hold the white bat. The shaft looks too long (which makes me think this isn't normal for this game), as the set-screws weren't in the bat's recess. The two lower ones are one piece, and the set-screws set into the recess at the bottom of the bat just fine. However - the issue is that with the lower ones, they're *too short* for the new flipper pawl to get a grip on. (Short ones are 1 7/8", the longer one is 2 1/8"..) So, I need to order new bats.

Issues I ran into weren't as many as I thought -
1. The second switch on the EOS doesn't fit. The BR flipper has a switch to activate the UR flipper. There's no (safe) way to get a dual-switch stack on the WPC mechs, and have it operated by the pawl. So, I 'hotwired' the UR flipper feed.
2. The UR flipper mech had to be rotated - it wouldn't fit in the same location as the old mech. And then rotated, it interfered with the spinner. So I had to grind a mounting leg off to clear the sppinner. You can see it in the picture - I added some electrical tape for safety - didn't want anything shorting +40v to the switch circuits. Wiring was then an issue too, but that was an easy fix.
3. I also went with the LOWEST WPC flipper coil on the top - since the distance is *so short* to the Meteor targets, I figured a FL-11753 would be fine - once I get new bats in, we'll see how that strength does.

So, now I have to wait for bats to come in. I'm *really* anxious to try it out. The old mechs were pretty much horrid. I got all three mechs, with the high-power EOS switches, proper stops, and coils for about $35 a piece from Pinball Life. So, I'm in about $120 with shipping.

--Me.

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I just rebuilt my flippers and the longer shaft is for the top flipper.

On purpose? Whatever for?

The Marco repros all have the longer shaft, so I ordered them, and will drop them in as soon as they arrive.

#260 7 years ago

Update on the flippers -

Well, I'm really glad I did it. *HUGE* difference. If you're not a regular player, you likely wouldn't notice, but I could easily tell - a lot smoother in action and snappier.

Now, keep in mind that my originals were *horrible*, likely. I doubt they were rebuilt in the last 20 years. However, I *really* like them now.

The choice for the FL-11753 coil on the upper flipper was *perfect*. With standard EOS gap, it's perfect and not too strong for the drops.

The *down* side is that I ordered these flipper bats - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-5 They have the right length shafts (2 1/8") - remember, the lower ones in my game had 1 7/8" shafts, and were too short for the flipper pawl to grab on to - BUT the body of the flipper - the bat, is actually a few mm's WIDER than the originals - so I get a little bit of ball-hop coming off the wire guide. Even with that little hop/bounce though, ooh, I blew my old HS out of the water.

I also sent off for the first round of light boards earlier today. Anxious to see how they fit in.

#269 7 years ago

Interesting, thanks guys. In either cadre, the older - shorter shafts - will not work with the WPC mechs..

#273 7 years ago

Hey guys -
Random question of the day. On an original MPU-200 board, for the dip-switches, which was is 'On'? Left, or Right?

I tried setting some game options recently, and have noticed that the game's actual operation is different than what I have selected. (Both game options and coin options..) Reversing the switches, still get something different than what I *should* be getting.

Wondering if I have an older ROM version..

1 week later
#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Finally have some time to continue working. Soldering, not the cleanest I've done but good enough for now.

Neat.. Looks good!

Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

In the club! Just picked it up today, it's working but needs a major cleaning. Nice back glass as well. Paid $575....Score!

Good job! Looking forward to pics!

First test light boards came in.. And they look good, they line up better than I expected:

IMAG0016_(resized).jpgIMAG0016_(resized).jpg

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Is it possible to snap a close, detailed pic of how your flippers are wired? I tried to install one of these new flipper mechs on the left flipper. I must have wired it wrong because when I tried to flip, the solenoid fuse blew. I threw a breaker fuse to test and am now getting nothing when I press the flipper button. I will also need to order new bats because I didn't know I needed the longer shaft for this upgrade when I ordered my parts. Do you have a link to the correct ones?

Sure, see this. Note that I wired the EOS in to break the Common, NOT the power feed. This shouldn't give your sky grief though, you may have a bad diode on your coil..

IMAG0023_(resized).jpgIMAG0023_(resized).jpg

IMAG0022_(resized).jpgIMAG0022_(resized).jpg

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

What angle degree do you guys have/like your Meteor set up to?

I keep mine the same as my TZ - between 6.5 and 7.

#323 7 years ago

Question -
Who has a 7-digit display mod installed?

Is there a ROM that will still report numbers in 10's, but not flash/display "000" when a game starts?

#333 7 years ago

Quick small update...
Parts came in for the light boards. I assembled them. Unfortunately unable to mount them in game yet, as my screws were too short.

Here's an image showing one all together with light sockets, one together without, and the back of #3.

Spacing of the boards in the game is VERY tight - mainly because the sockets are wider than what's in the game. I may try adding a spacer in the middle to support the board. But because the circuit traces have to run down the sides, it may not be possible. The two-pin headers are for the conmon/power wire, and both pins are connected - save with three populated 2-pin header at they other end. Help wiring that common.

Unless I have a lot of interest, I may not offer these up. It's about $11 per board, not including the headers and spacers, and assembly. Since you need four for the game (3 rockets, 1 spinner) that can add up. I am going to get a quote from another manufacturer that can also populate the board, and see what they want and price breaks

-Mike

IMAG0039_(resized).jpgIMAG0039_(resized).jpg

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

What do you think total cost on a complete set is?

Just did the math, and the parts and PCB (from a low-run producer) would be max $35 a board, so you're looking at a whopping $105 for three, $140 for four. Again, max. I'm adding in base shipping charges to this - the more I order on the same order, the cheaper shipping works out to be. But, I figure it's better to go over and then run under than it is to go under and have to say 'oops, more!'. This also dosen't take into account any of my time assembling.

The biggest cost is the board - at $15 a piece, that's just about half of everything. The twist sockets are next, at $4.50 per board (7 of them), and then the spacers are $1.10. The spacers kinda tick me off, as the black ones are out of stock everywhere and I can't find a non-pin supplier that sells spacers. The ones I selected I can get from Digikey.

I originally made this board so that one version could fill the 4 slots. It may be cheaper (and I'm going to find out) if ONE board covers all three rockets. I'm also going to contact a PCB manufacturer/populator and see what they quote me at - a larger quantity may be cheaper.

In short - because of the cost, I don't think it's worth it. Now, I may look into making a board with LEDs on it (RGBW LEDs, to allow warm white and colored spots of light under each insert..) but that's a ways off, and I'm not sure I'm LEDing my game yet.

Edit: Looks like if I get enough boards to do 5 games (20 boards), I can get the price down to just under $7 a board - half of that cost. That's not bad..

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Would it be possible and more cost effective to make a single PCB for the rocket inserts? This would eliminate the need for insulators between the boards and allow the 3 rows to be closer to each other.

Yeah, can be done. I'm working on a board now to test. Again, though, the downside is that the board would ONLY be used for the rocket lights - couldn't be put into the spinner row of lights. The larger size board means that the single board would cost more than a single small board, but hopefully it won't be 3x the cost. :

Quoted from Lovef2k:

This would also bring the mounting spacers and screw count from 6 to just 4 of each...

Not 100% on that - with all the light socket holes, the board flexes. I'm tempted to leave all 6 spacers in when running it this way.

#344 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Games that use these lamp boards don't usually cover all of the inserts anyway so I would be happy with just getting the rocket inserts on the one board. That's where most of the congestion is.

Oh, yeah, sorry - I meant that with this current design, the SAME BOARD would be used 4x in one game, for the 3 rockets and #4 for the spinner. If I moved to the larger board, then yes -

Quoted from Chosen_S:same here, Coyote, if you plan to do a run of these, count me in if you need buyers to get the cost down for a "kit" of sorts for the rocket inserts
suggestion to get them printed on a thicker wafer, so maybe the flexing isn't so much ?

I can try going thicker - problem with that are the standoffs, then.

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Ok gents. Running into an issue. Couple things to keep in mind - new Alltek mpu, rectifier board + new connectors on J1, J2, J3.
Machine starts up (led blinks 7 times then go in haze - normal operation for Alltek board).
I can self-test and go through different audits via test button on coin door - all solenoids seem to be working except game will not start and all flippers are dead.
Any ideas? Thanks

In test mode, if you hold down flipper cabinet button, do the flippers pulse after the coils all fire and before sounds play?

Do you have a credit on the game?

In switch test, does pressing the start button register?

3 weeks later
#366 7 years ago

I haven't been able to work on these much because of summer projects, but I finally got the three boards mounted in the game, just so I could play ut. Here's a shot of them installed (not wired yet).

I'm still working on the 21-light board. Should have a proto of it near the end of Sept.

IMAG0073_(resized).jpgIMAG0073_(resized).jpg

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

I am reading 45 volts on pin 1 J2 on the SDB. Pin 2 is reading 95v, is this correct or should it also be 45?

I'll check later tonight, once I finish getting my boards in and can power it up.

#369 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'll check later tonight, once I finish getting my boards in and can power it up.

I forgot to reply - I got a reading of 40v on both.

#370 7 years ago

Random question - Does everyone's games keep the Bonus Lights and Rocket 3 Bumper as their last status from the game, with no light show?

1 week later
#378 7 years ago

Since this thread's been quiet for a while, I figured I'd check and get thoughts -

I'm working on the 21-light board (instead of the 3x 7-light boards) for the Rocket Lights, and torn between two options. Figured I'd see which was prefered -

(1) A board with the cutouts for the 555 sockets, or
(2) A board with 5050 LEDs for the inserts (color TBD), and with an optional resistor to use with original boards?

The #2 would be cheaper (believe it or not, the LEDs and assembly would be cheaper than the twist-sockets). I COULD do both for those interested, but they would be a LOT more expensive because of split resources.

--Mike

#380 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm game for either type, sorry, I'm no help '

That's cool! Better than a vote for 'neither'!

Something I always wondered about the game -
What's the significance, if any, with the rocket counter colors? How come all the colors are unique, except for #1 and #5 (white)?

#382 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What's the significance, if any, with the rocket counter colors? How come all the colors are unique, except for #1 and #5 (white)?

Quoted from SealClubber:

It looks better when lit up and in attract mode than just plain white?

Nono, I mena, wy did they choose those colors, and why would they duplicate 'white', and none of the others? (i.e. Was there only 6 colors in use back then? )

#384 7 years ago

Okay, another three stupid questions..
(1) Can someone PM me (or post here, if you really want) on how to recreate the 'infinite bonus countdown' bug?

(2) When you get all three rockets at the same level, 'WOW' is lit. I've noticed a couple times now that when WOW is lit on a rocket drop target, *sometimes* when the ball hits the target, the 'WOW' will not be awarded, but the rocket count will raise up. (Almost like the game is increasing the rocket BEFORE evaulating 'WOW', and since the rocket was raised, WOW is unlit and not awarded.)

(3) Can someone familiar with the 7-digit mods send me a PM? I have some questions that I haven't been able to find online.

Cheers!
-Me.

1 week later
#392 7 years ago

Hey guys -
I lost one of my bookmarked sites, and searching doesn't come up with it, so I'm at a loss -
Somewhere there was a site on how to convert a 6-digit game (like our Meteor) to a 7-digit, using original 7-digit glasses. There was an extra wire that had to be run from a board to each of the displays.

Anyone have details on that, or know of the site that has info on that?

Quoted from dothedoo:

Okay, another three stupid questions..
Only middle target scores WOW. Frustrating when you align all rockets and all center targets are down.

I missed your original reply, sorry - but holy crap, I did not know that. That increases the difficulty like, 3 times. Thanks!

--Mike

#394 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Okaegi explains how to do it in his Embryon write up.
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html

Thank you! That was the page I had bookmarked!

#396 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Just want to let anyone who wants to know, a fellow pinsider is taking interest for making repro side rails for early solid state sterns. If he can enough interest to make 10 pairs, he will do them. I'm in for 2 pair.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/38592

Interesting - are side rails not available? (I haven't looked, but I know I'll be needing them..)

(Whohoo.. shipping from Canada, too..!)

#399 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Would TaylorVA not make these?

Huh. I thought we were talking about the cabinet side-rails, not the playfield ones.

#401 7 years ago

Huh. True, but the ad also states that there's a 'pair' of them. On Meteor, we would need three. (Shooter lane, then left & right.)

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Just want to let anyone who wants to know, a fellow pinsider is taking interest for making repro side rails for early solid state sterns. If he can enough interest to make 10 pairs, he will do them. I'm in for 2 pair.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/38592

Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Would TaylorVA not make these?

Okay, to clear up the confusion -
He's making the cabinet side rails - the plates that are on the outside of the cabinet that the glass slides into. These are NOT the wood rails on the playfield.

Taylor doesn't do metal.

#404 7 years ago

Hey guys - two part questions -
1. Anyone have part numbers / diagram for the dead bumpers in the game? I don't see the assembly listed in the '81 Parts Manual.
2. Is the pop bumper supposed to be B-196-1 or B-695?

#407 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

It's not the B-695. That's the pop with the plastic base and plastic rod/ring used in games 1980 and up. I think Seawitch was the last game to use the pops with the metal base.
The B-695 base will not fit the hole in the playfield. You'd have to either make the hole larger or grind down the circumference of the base.

Thanks! I didn't have my game in front of me, and couldn't remember which it had.

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I just ordered new dead bumper bodies, skirts, and bases from Pinball Resource and these were their recommended parts:
2 dead bumper bodies (GTB-25A)
2 yellow dead bumper skirts (A1217Y)
2 pop bumper bases (B10432W)
Obviously some Gottlieb substitutions in there, but all looks to be correct. Haven't installed them yet.

Many thanks! Somehow one of mine had its body break at the base, so figured I'd get all new parts.

#410 7 years ago

Okay, another strange question -
For the coin door config - was there a standard on coins accepted? Any options available when purchasing?

1 week later
#412 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Any update on the lamp boards?

Probably another month or so before I get first test ones in. It's been slow because of work (And wife and I splitting up..)

But, I have two protos that I'll be getting done - one with 5050 SMD LEDs (same units that are in most bulbs for sale out there), and one that has the screw in lamp holders.

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Sorry to hear about the marital thing, that's gotta be rough. I appreciate what you are doing for the Meteor, I'm sure it will work out.

It was mutual, we parted on good terms, and I wish her the best. Just means my projects were delayed because of logistics.

2 weeks later
#420 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I have a restored and clear coated Meteor PF on the way! Will post pics when it arrives, hopefully on Monday.

Awesome! Who did the work?

Unrelated - have a general question for all owners here - if you could add or changed ONE RULE to the game, what would it be?

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It was done through a pinpal that I have known for quite a while, I don't even have the guy's contact info. It did take more then 6 months to get it though. As for Meteor rules, I'm not into changing rules but I would like to have the roms with the bug fix and go to 7 dig scoring.

Looks good. I'm debating between getting mine restored/cc'd or waiting for CPR.

On another note, I'm afraid to ask - has anyone seen the movie this game was made after?

1 month later
#454 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Maybe someone will see something I don't. Does this look correct?

I'll look tonight, once I get home. I did this to my game recently, and had no issues. So, if noone gets back in the next three hours or so, I'll compare it to mine.

On mine, the only thing I did differently was take out the upper right flipper switch - since I couldn't get enough room on the EOS switch to handle cutting in the upper switch.

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Maybe someone will see something I don't. Does this look correct?

That looks right comparing to mine.

Check the diodes on the coil.

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

Would activating the flipper with a broken diode cause the trave to burn up?

Could, certainly! It would effectively short to ground then.

1 week later
#470 7 years ago

IMHO - stick with the OEM 'alternate' ROM. The /10 ROM is okay, but my OCD can't stand not having a score end in '0'. The 'Home' ROM is buggy. There's a newer version, mostly under testing, if you're interested send me a PM. But frankly, the OEM 'alternate' is an official Stern release that fixed the unlimited bonus countdown.

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What did the home rom change?

The one that's posted, I don't know. I know the guy that made it, and when I asked him, he said it was buggy as heck, and recommended not to use it.

#475 7 years ago

Odd request -
Can someone measure the board size of the display (6-digit) PCB, length and width?

#480 7 years ago

Thank you so much! All I have are 7-digits in mine, and the previous owner never wired in the 7th digit. D'oh.
Working on a custom, personal board for the displays, as I wait for the letest revision of the rocket light board to come back.

#481 7 years ago

Silly question -
Can the WMS/Bally leg brackets (http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=144) be used in the Stern cabinets? A couple of mine are stripped, and I'd like to upgrade, stiffen them up.

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

You can but you will have to remove the wooden corner braces in the cab. I tried using this on F2K and the corner braces were a little too wide for the brackets to fit flush on both sides. Of course removing the wood braces will weaken the cab structure so maybe try making smaller braces and glue them in first and then add the new leg brackets?

Thanks! I'll go ahead and get the correct one for now, and then once I re-do my cabinet, I'll upgrade them all.

Another silly question - was the game *supposed* to have blinker bulbs in the backbox behind the 'METEOR' name?

#485 7 years ago

Okay, apparently I'm just going to spam this thread, as well. Sorry guys.

Got the new light board in from the PCB plant, and I have an important question -
How important is it to have built-in resistors for putting LEDs in?

The current design has two spots for a resistor network that can be soldered in, if you want to use LEDs with an original board. However, the latest board didn't work out as they're in the way of the screws to mount it to the playfield. So, either I make the board larger - sticking over the screws on either the top or bottom to fit them, or remove them completely. Right now I'm just thinking that I'll remove them (anyone that uses LEDs will likely put them in other sockets as well, which would require use of a newer light driver board..)

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I don't think the resistors are necessary. Since the rest of the playfield doesn't have them anaway, I just use the Alltek lamp driver and you can add all LED's no problem. Someone also made a mod that firs on the lamp driver board that adds resistors at the header pins, either way you want to go. Pluus waht would happen if it did have resistors and you want to use standard lamps?

Yeah - originally the board wouldn't have the resistor soldered in, allowing the end-user to solder them in. But, I agree - hundreds of other ways to tackle it, so, one more board ordered, make sure it works out. Excited.

Re - the flippers. Am I the only one that upgraded to the WPC flipper mechs?

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Cool, I can't wait to get one of these boards. Die hard Stern fans will leave in the old junk flippers lol...

This board took me a LOT longer than it should have, because of other projects (including a new MPU-200 board I'm messing with, and messing with adding rules to the software..) In the meanwhile, while my TZ keeps kicking my ass and making me angry, I have always jumped back to my Meteor.

#501 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Think I just got the Meteor software bug today...
» YouTube video

Yeah. Plug in the ROM set labeled as 'Alternate'. It fixed that up.

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

"This game does have a software bug and it's even copied onto the Altek boards. Every couple hundred games or so if you have the 1X, 2X and 4X bonus lit and end the ball the game will go into an (almost) endless loop of counting the bonus over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over 255 times then end. Just an FYI."
My game has an Alltek....

Oh - with an Altek then, I think you're stuck like that.
The most common 7-digit ROM has the bug, as does the /10 ROM.

The bug isn't necessarily dependent on the spinner, but does have to do with the Bonus X and the 'Collect All Rockets' light on the outlanes -
As I understand it, the 'Collect All Rockets' routine saves data to a RAM location that is right adjacent to the Bonus 'X' save location. If something CPU intensive happens, a race condition will occur where the 'Collect All Rockets' code will save and then clear a value as another thread is trying to read the Bonus X. The Bonus X thread will then get an incorrect number (255), and think that's your bonus. It will then count down your rockets (even if you have none) from 255x. Interestingly, how the lights are stored in RAM, you can watch the 'Game Over' light on the backbox switch on and off - that light, essentially, is your '8x' bonus light.

The ROM set listed as 'Alternate' is officially released from Stern, and it changes the RAM location for one of those two functions, avoiding the collision.

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

This always annoys me. Seems to me like the altek eprom should just have all the rom images in it, so if I read it, find the image, and replace it and write it back to the rom, it should work, but I tried to find the Hot Hand rom image in there when I was modifying it and couldn't find it. Even if it's in some weird format, couldn't they have at least left an empty socket or something?

I completely agree. It's why I won't get one, and why I'm making my own newer MPU-200 board. (It's in the works, but plan is to allow larger EPROMS for easier burning and more program space, as well as more RAM space to store data. Meteor uses ALL the available RAM, save for a couple nibbles (total of 1 or 2 bytes..) So adding anything is very difficult, and is where the above bug came from.

One of the things I wanted to add was code to allow the 'Meteor' (pop bumper) to 'fight back' - when the ball hits the pop bumper, one rocket bonus will be *taken off*. Muhaha.

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sounds cool! Is there any notable limit to how much the 6800 can support with modern EPROMs and ram chips? I'm not clear on exactly what the size limitations of the Stern boards are, but I know they're pretty small...

Essentially, the unused portion of the addresses in an MPU-200 board means that the game code can take just under a 27C256 (32kb) in size. (Total available EPROM address is $0 - $EFFF) When these boards were made, only EPROM space available was four 2716 or two 2732s (8kb total). Meteor's ROM does not have much empty space in it either- there's maybe 1/4 left available. So, more EPROM space (plus, ability to burn the image to more common chips like a 27C040) and more RAM space (doubling by 2/3rds.)

Sorry, I'm rambling technical.

#514 7 years ago

I went ahead and ordered final versions of the lamp board. I got three of the incandescent (#555 twist-in socket, used in all DMD 90's games) boards, and I ordered one all-LED board, using the same LED units as Comet's '5050' LED bulb. If there's enough interest, I can get a handful made, but cost is on the upper-end. (If I have 10 people, cost would be about $70 a piece. Higher with less people, lower with more.)

By the end of the month - likely after the holidays, I'll be able to take pics and show them, once they arrive.

1 week later
#517 7 years ago

Holy crap. I way, way underpaid for my game.
ebay.com link: itm

And apparently, Meteors are hard to find!

#519 7 years ago

The new lamp board is in! Whohoo...
IMG_20161215_201404 (resized).jpgIMG_20161215_201404 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161215_201334 (resized).jpgIMG_20161215_201334 (resized).jpg

Two potential issues with it still, which frankly bugs the heck out of me, but..
The first is that the mounting holes for the standoffs - I designed them over what I had on hand originally, way back on the very first go-round. The ones I had on hand were NOT the WMS/Bally black ones that they used in the 90's. I dunno where I got these from. The black ones however, are smaller and don't lock into the hole. Argh. So I need to either find ones that will fit, or get another round of boards made with the holes shrunk down some.
The second problem I can't test until I have standoffs. I believe my mounting holes are maybe .1" too wide from top to bottom. I can't double check until I get standoffs. It's possible it will work, just be a tight fit.

With the holidays coming up, I may not be able to proceed on this until after the new year. But, honestly, if I can (1) find standoffs that work, and (2) the holes aren't too far off-center, then these boards are good.

I have an all LED board coming in, supposedly sometime next week, but we'll see.

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Looks pretty good so far, I like having a single board over 3 separate boards. Do you have the lamp bases, I assume they will be wedge base type? Is there a schematic showing the pin outs? I noticed 8 mounting holes in the board, will we need to use all 8? I'm thinking something like this will work? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/254-5032-01

I can supply lamp bases with the board - they're available straight from Digikey as well. Same bases (or at least, they're compatible) that are used in M/W WPC games.
Pinouts are really simple - there's three headers, one for each Rocket. Pin #1 on each one is for 1k Lamp. Pin 2, 2k lamp, etc. The two-pin headers at top are for the lamp bus.
You don't have to use all eight. You can use as many as you need to to hold the board in place. The six on top and bottom line up with the existing mounting holes. The two in the center were just so that a stand-off could be inserted to keep the board from flexing too much. (Though, testing it, they won't be necessary. The single larger board is a LOT more sturdy than the smaller 1-rocket boards.)

The single boards also fit for the 6 lamps under the spinner, which once I get the proper standoffs, I plan on using one of mine for. (Might as well..!)

Also, a bump: CPR still has the Meteor as 'looking for interest'. If you haven't signed up for a playfield, please do so. The more of us sign up, the sooner it'l get bumped up! http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

2 weeks later
#530 7 years ago

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

My second "test board" came in while I was out. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow..

1483490626065 (resized).jpg1483490626065 (resized).jpg

1483490646555 (resized).jpg1483490646555 (resized).jpg

#534 7 years ago

For the record, the coin door blue 'credit' button label that Marco sells is *not* metallic. It's horrible.

I was already pretty much writing off Marco - this pretty much sealed the deal.

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I noticed that myself. I get them from the Pinball Rescue.net, the same guys that might someday get the meteor plastics done lol. I have an extra I can mail one to you, PM me your address. Oh and the Marco DT decals for F2K suck too!

Thanks! You're awesome! I'll PM you, though no rush - I ordered it since I'm thinking about tackling my (horrible) coin door next month, but haven't started yet.. I'm looking into available methods to recreate that.. marbled(?) look.

For those interested in the LED board above, I opened a poll - curious to get thoughts:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-lamp-board#post-3530754

1 week later
#538 7 years ago

Thank you, Lovef2k! I have to get my door off, and disassembled before painting, so it'll be at least beginning of spring, but, I can't wait. I did pick up the paint; and yeah, it looks really really close!

For those interested in my light board, a question -
I like how the LED board came out - so much - that I'm thinking that I won't even worry about making the incandescent board. If anyone here was thinking about getting one from me, and not wanting the LED board, drop me a PM, lemme know.

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I like the LED one but if a lamp goes out will we have to replace the whole board? Also will we need to run the alltek LED/lamp driver to stop flickering/strobing?

In theory, a single LED shouldn't fail. If it does, say, withi na year (usually when most LEDs die a premature death), I'll send a new board as long as you send the old one back so I can replace the LED. Unless you can solder large SMD, in which case I'll send you a few replacement LEDs.

The final revision will have a jumper, so that in the case the light board doesn't draw enough current for the lamp board, you can solder a small jumper on and make it compatible. (Or, if using a new lamp board or LED adaptors, leave the jumper off.)

I'm also narrowing down the right standoffs to use, so in a couple weeks I hope to have everything put together for my final test board.

1 week later
#544 7 years ago

Strange question..

What ever happened to Steve Kirk after he designed Meteor?

#550 7 years ago

Hey guys -
Wanted to give an update on the Meteor lamp board.

First, good news!
I'm going to be sending off for two more prototypes. Decided to have another proto run, as I wanted to add a couple things:
(1) Wire solder points, so those that do not know how to crimp a molex connector and don't want to cut their wires can still use the board.
(2) Load resistors, so that, in the odd chance this is the ONLY LED board in your game, you don't need LED adapters or another lamp driver board.
I'm going to want one person here to test the board in their game for me. Don't PM me yet! Wait until I post here near the end of Feb once I have the board in.

Now, the bad news.
After this prototype, assuming that they both work, it will be several months before I will order my first round of them. The main reason is because of ... money! No, I'm not broke. HOWEVER, 2016 was a bad year for my company, and I did not get the expected bonus. I have two big road trips coming up this May. Beginning of May I'm heading up to Cedar Rapids, IA, and at the end of May I'm heading out to Willits, CA. I live on the east coast. I need to make sure that my accounts have enough balance in them in case the unexpected happens along 'The Loneliest Road' in the middle of Nevada.
Once I get back from my trip - around the 15th of June, and again assuming these last protos are good - I will get a batch made and available to everyone.

Just wanted to explain the upcoming delay.

#555 7 years ago

Another quick question on the lamp boards -

Would $60 a piece be too steep for a single Rocket lamp board? I'm looking at getting various quotes right now..

#562 7 years ago
2 weeks later
#567 7 years ago

Look what I got today in the mail!!

Whohoo!

IMG_20170217_184642 (resized).jpgIMG_20170217_184642 (resized).jpg

#572 7 years ago

Quick thoughts on comparing the two. Not saying anything is better or worse, just stating how I see it first:

- Printing method is different (obviously! We're talkin' 35 years here!). Because of this, though, there's a lot less overprint on the new plastics. My old ones had overprint, not noticeable when the GI was off, but when back-lit, it was. The new ones don't have any, of course.
- The registration of the colors is spot on - much better than my original plastics. On one of my back arches, the white was HORRIBLY off-registration, and I didn't even know it until I got these..!
- The orange color is lighter than my original when backlit.
- The light purple (pink?) color is lighter on the repros, both front-lit and back-lit.
- The repros are thinner, by a *fraction*.
- The repros post holes were a little tight on mine - likely because my originals were just worn.

Now, my opinion?
These. Are. Awesome. I'm thinking of ordering a second set, just to have. Plus, now I have a plastic to hang on my game's keychain!

Quoted from zacaj:

Either of you got intact left sling or upper arch plastics you no longer need?

Drop me a PM.

#573 7 years ago

Argh. Would help if I uploaded the pics..

Backs - the original is on the right.
062PkQi (resized).jpg062PkQi (resized).jpg

Fronts, the original is on the left.
MzCrqyN (resized).jpgMzCrqyN (resized).jpg

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

So there's no protective paper on the back side like CPR's?

I will admit.. I have no idea what this means or is. (Never got plastics from CPR, and OEM plastic sets, when ordered from WMS, never had anything except the peeling film on the top.)

The plastics came with a film on the front - you can kinda see it in the light reflection in my very first picture. I took that off before I went through them and mounted them in.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

The plastic above the upper flipper on mine is broke. Can I buy yours?

"Above" the upper flipper? Do you mean above as in up-field (at the METEOR targets), or the one that's over the standup target and spinner? If the former, then sure! If the latter, then no - mine was shattered, and is now in the trash.

#582 7 years ago

Hey, guys -
Noone gives a flying monkey about it.
MSCH, MorotCityMatt - who cares. Let him sell the game for whatever he wants. If you OWN one, you WANT him to sell it for that much, because it measn then yours is worth more.
Gryphon - Drop it. You're a marine, ignore it.

Jeez, don't bring that crap here. If you HAVE to fight about it, take it to PM, *please*.

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Coyote,
I think $60 would be a great price point for the lamp board.
In addition to this board have you also considered a replacement board for the lamps next to the "meteor" drop target bank?
You could offer a replacement set. Just a thought.

Actually yeah - I have the schematic ready, just haven't measured out and laid out the board. Same with the lamps for the spinner and the three bonus X lamps. Will probably NOT wait until they're all ready, and release them as each one is ready.

1 month later
#599 7 years ago

For all you guys that just joined the club..

Welcome!
Now get your a$$es over to CPR (http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html) and sign up for the Meteor PF. We need to get it in the pipe!

1 week later
#601 7 years ago

Just a quick update on the lamp boards..!

I have the final test board ordered. I should get it beginning of May. *However*, like I mentioned earlier this year, I'll be out of town on two road trips (first half-way across the country, second all-the-way across the country).

So, I won't be able to test it until mid-June. However, I'm expecting it to be good.

Right now, I will be making a single board for the rockets, and another board for the spinner lights. After I have those done, I will do a board for the METEOR drop lights.

After that - no plans. If someone has an idea, open to it. Right now, the boards that ARE going to get made will be a limited run (mainly because, I'm a poor bastard, and can't afford to order a huge stockpile )

1 month later
#674 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Any updates on the LED boards?

Will let you know this coming weekend. I just arrived back in town Saturday, and have to catch up with missed work and unpacking this week. If the electrical characteristics work, and match what I requested, then I can start offering them, and it will make the spinner board and the other boards ('bonus x', METEOR drop boards) much quicker, as I don't have to worry about production.

Will post, probably this Sunday, a few pics and video of them. This means that next week I will be waiting on a larger-order quote.

#676 6 years ago

I'm not expecting any surprises, since I checked resistor values, voltage and current one final time before sending this board off.

The ONLY thing I'm curious about is that this board will have solder pads, so that if a user wants to, they can directly solder the lamp wires to the board. (Instead of getting a molex connector and crimping them on.) While I don't expect any issues, it's possible that they will be unuseable in one form or another.

#678 6 years ago

AARGH.

I must have *the worst* luck with ordering PCBs. Maybe I need to try a different manufacturer.

So the last two days I went over the board - everything was A-okay. The only odd thing was the warm-white LEDs - they were different from the cold-white ones:
zqkCfqh (resized).jpgzqkCfqh (resized).jpg
They had black fronts to them. I kinda liked this, actually! So, after checking all the resistors and traces, the board looked really good..

Until I plugged it in.

All the warm white LEDs were... *RED*.
Argh!

While I'm waiting to hear back from the company that assembled it, I'm going to go ahead and contact a couple Chinese manufacturers, and start process to get quotes on larger amounts of boards.

--Mike

#680 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Bummer, but you're heading in the right direction. I applaud your efforts.

I thought I put this reply here, but it ended up in a different thread.

Anyways, they're working to make it right, and I'm not expecting any issues, since again, I had tested everything outside of the game.
I had sent some quotes off to Chinese places, and after this debacle with the current company, I'm thinking of going the Chinese route.

From the initial quotes I got, looks like I can get the main rocket boards down to $50-$55 a piece, not including shipping. It's possible it will be less - but also possible it will be more. However, that looks to be the average right now.

--Mike

#682 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Curious, what percentage seems to be labor vs BOM, any idea?

I could have SWORN I replied to this. I must be going crazy!

Anyways, it seems to be a mix, though a lot is labor.

The percentage of the Chinese price of the US price is -
PCB Manufacturing - 8%
Parts (LEDs, etc) - 153%
Labor/Assembly - 24.8%

Interestingly, parts are more expensive, but the PCB cost is decimated, literally. Labor is a quarter of the US price.

While I'm finalizing repair of the mid-assembled board, I went ahead and started messing with it, and noticed something I thought I'd see if folks here wanted to chime in.

I'm NOT a fan of the super-nova LED lights.
You will notice that your Meteor game has three different types of transparent inserts - the completely cloudy, like the 'WOW' and 'SPECIAL', and MOST of the Rocket Bonus (all except 3k). Then, there is semi-transparent - the in/outlanes and 'Spot Target' inserts. Then the mostly-transparent, like the Shoot Again insert and the Rocket Bonus 3K.

The brightness of the LEDs I based on the transparent inserts - looks, IMHO, perfect. However - the same brightness under the opaque inserts (the rest of the rocket bonus) seems on the dim side compared to a Comet LED bulb in another socket.

So - since I haven't put in final order, would folks have an issue if the LEDs were different brightness? To cut down on the transparent (3K) inserts? Or would everyone prefer them all the same, and just notice the transparent ones brighter than the rest?

1 week later
#687 6 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

So, I found I have this bug. Have gotten it a few times. Can someone point me to where I can get updated ROMs that fix this? Anywhere I look doesn't show a changelog.
Thanks.

Changelog? These assembly guys didn't even know what a changelog WAS back then.

You want the 'Alternate' ROM set - that was released by Stern at some point, and it has the issue fixed.

#689 6 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Thanks. I can't find this though. Do you know someone or place that could burn it for me? I could buy the set at Marco, but it doesn't list if it's this version. Any placed I looked didn't have any info that showed this. Any help would be appreciated!

I can, if you ask nicely enough.
It's in the 'ROMs' zip file, labeled 'U1A'. The other ones remain the same, aren't different.

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

If you would be able to burn it for me, I'd really appreciate it. Of course I'll cover the cost.

Send me a PM.

3 weeks later
#694 6 years ago

Hey guys, wanted to give an update on the lamp boards!

The company I (was) using corrected their mistake, took a month to send me a new one. And ON the new one, a couple LEDs were dead. (Bad solder job.)

So, I'm not going with them.

However, while I was waiting for them to fix their mistake, I contacted a few Chinese companies, and got some quotes. They were cheaper, of course, and interestingly, manufacturer time is the same as the company I WAS using. (About a month.)

So, the price should be around $55 for the board. And this board will be the most expensive, due to the size. I'm currently waiting on a couple sample boards form them, and when I get them and test them, they'll be available for sale, then a month later when the full order comes in, the rest will be available.

Shortly after THAT, then, the spinner lamp board should be ready, as well as the Bonus X board.

--Mike

#697 6 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Hi Mike! Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into this. These boards are really great and I look forward to buying when they're available.
This is a minor criticism, and I mention it only because it's something important to me and I imagine many others here. It's not really something that you can do for this production run, but may come into play in future projects.
Personally, I'd be willing to spend a few more dollars for a product made in the USA or Canada. Your project is unique, so beating out the competition pricewise is a non-issue.
This community can help connect you to assemblers that are contributing to our local economies and producing a reliable, affordable product. It unfortunate that the first supplier was unreliable, but as someone with experience with overseas assemblers, I can tell you that quality issues are a problem everywhere.

If anyone wants to send me details of US PCB Assemblers, I would be absolutely more than willing to talk to them, get quotes.

For baseline - and I don't mind sharing prices because I am NOT a company, I AM NOT trying to make any money -
The prices I was quoted, per board and NOT including shipping from Chinese assemblers was $42 a board. There WERE some low-baller companies ($18/board!) but they did not want to use the LEDs I specified, and I could not guarantee the brightness or LED quality, so I did not pick them.

The company I was using until the odd messup gave me a quote of $68 per board. Taking into shipping, the large board would be upwards of $90 a piece.

Keep in mind, I'm also not ordering *thousands* of boards - for two reasons, namely: (1) I can't afford to make a payment of $5k at once! And (2) - I highly doubt *thousands* of people will want these. My orders are for 75 boards, which I feel is an amount I can probably move before having them statrt to collect dust. And I could be waaay off on that.

So, anyways, I ramble. If anyone has some assemblers, I'd love to get quotes from NA, and hopefully get them low enough to where they'd fit in the price point. (My guess is that the sweet spot for the largest of the board, the Rocket Bonus, is around the $60. Any more than that, and people will just clean their lamp brackets and put in comet LEDs. Or at worse, buy new lamp brackets/sockets.)

Related, I am also VERY, VERY anxious and want CPR to pick up the Meteor playfield. I had some thoughts about Meteor ROM, a small PIC, RGB LEDs in the rocket bonus area, if I could get a field with all white inserts. (Use an unused address/output to send commands to the PIC to flag what's happening, and switch RGB colors..) But this is all a pipe dream. Emails to CPR go unanswered, and they're not even planning on making the field, so.. *shrug* The only thing here that I DO have is the disassembles code to add in catches and set outbound addresses.

#699 6 years ago

Yeah, I'm not discriminatory! Forward info, and I'll get quotes from them.

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I've seen good prices from 7pcb.ca as well as miselectronics.com. ocmmanufacturing.com is local to me but I don't know much about them.

Thanks! Once I finish up the Spinner board, I'll get quotes from them. I'll post results here, too, for comparison down the line later.

1 week later
#706 6 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Sure, it would be nice to have a comparison. There are so many vendors for this work and once a reliable/affordable one is found then we can all throw them some love. And cash.

While I agree with your thoughts, the problem is is that most people vote with their wallet. (And, I do too - often. I ain't immune to it.)

I have the Spinner and Bonus X boards just about done. Once they are, I will get quotes from those above, see what they offer.

On another note, I will admit that I am *quite* surprised by the current company that is making the Rocket LED board. Not only have they worked with me on a couple issues (logistics, clarifications, even helped define and explain a procedure that I hadn't run into with the earlier producer I had (the one that messed up the last board..) On to top that, they have *literally* been sending me daily updates.

A shot of the sample board they're sending me is attached. There IS silk screen on it, but they weren't aware that the red ink isn't fully opaque. Apparently, noone ever ASKED for Red on Black before. So, they refunded me the price of this sample board (essentially getting it for free) and I'll be changing the ink color on the full run. This picture (and a handful of others) were sent on this morning's (their evening) daily update.. The board is finished, now they assemble the parts onto it.

One of the changes I'm going to do is slightly round the corners. They look far too sharp in this image.

IMG_4157 (resized).JPGIMG_4157 (resized).JPG

IMG_4166 (resized).JPGIMG_4166 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#709 6 years ago

Hey guys -
I posted an update in the thread I started, and will likely try to keep all updates there (because I'm so scatterbrained that if I don't, I'll forget to post, double-post, or just do something crazy.) But, the board is finished and on a slow boat from China. (..Literally.) I'm rather excited. I'm no professional, and this is the first thing I've ever 'mass produced'.

Anyways -
My real reason for this post is to ask -
What is the 'PAA Sticker' on the IPDB Meteor page? Where did it go? My game doesn't have one, and wondering if I should worry about getting a replacement.

--Mike

#712 6 years ago

Huh. Mine looks like it was never installed. (Or, was an apron from a different game.)
Thanks guys. I accidentally posted about it in my light board thread as well, d'oh.

1 week later
#719 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Looking for spring 5A-171 - drop target return springs. They are out of stock at Marco with no "sample" spring to run a comparison, and action pinball they are stupid expensive. Does anyone know of a substitute part number? They are 1" at rest and there are a bunch of parts that look like they might fit the bill (#265-5003-02) but could be thicker, thinner, etc. My google-fu has failed me.

When I get back from NYC this weekend, let me check my past orders. I ordered some at the beginning of this year, and don't remember who I got them from.

#725 6 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

You could always pick one up and then wait to see if CPR pulls the trigger on the Meteor playfield.

WHich means -
If you (anyone!) hasn't signed up for a playfield, DO SO!

2 months later
#754 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

OK, so I never heard of this bonus bug until this weekend when my Meteor was used in a major tournament and it happened at least three times! My game has the 7-digit display mod and software. So I am trying to find a ROM set that has both the 7-digit and the bug fix in it.
Doing a little investigation of the ROMs on IPDB, it appears the bug fix only modifies U1 and the 7-digit fix only changes U2, U5 and U6. This leads me to believe that if I combine the U1A ROM with the U2, U5 and U6 ROMs from the 7-digit fix, I will get the 7-digit scoring with the bug fix too???

You can try. I haven't tried that to be sure.
I have a beta version of a 7digit ROM (completely rebuilt on 7digit OS instead of hacked), but it has other bugs at the moment.

#756 6 years ago

I have the same issue with those targets - I believe that you need to adjust the stop (not the targets, but the bar that the targets rest on, to make them push up a little farther.

3 weeks later
#770 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Any updates on the ladder LED board???

While the LED boards are complete, they're on a temporary pause right now, as I'm working on something better, with help and permission from @herg. Something MUCH, MUCH better.

#777 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Oooh, this could be interesting!

Have some testing to do which should be completed before the new year, and then - IF THE TESTING PASSES, I'll pop up an announcement.

#779 6 years ago

Ok, should I replace flippers with WPC or just brand-new Stern-type? Is there really a difference in how the two feel/play?
-Nate

I did, but many folks here say it's a bad idea, not keeping original to the game.
I like it, but I'm also the odd one out, apparently.

#789 6 years ago

Re: Dead bumpers.

That's correct for the game, IMHO.

1 month later
#809 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Any updates or sneak peeks?

Heh. Not yet. Since new year's, I've been really busy away from home. I have to do some more tests with my mess, and if it's successful, I send out to have a prototype board made. Hopefully by the end of this month, I should know if it's doable.

1 week later
#815 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I had to strip a Meteor recently (BAD termites) so if anyone is looking for specific parts to this game let me know

If you have a good spinner (artwork better than 50%), I'll take it. Mine's trashed.

Also, a reminder for folks!
Meteor playfields could get remade! Go sign up at CPR's site!

1 month later
#835 6 years ago

Possible those other sets of holes are used for kickers? (Slingshots, pop bumpers?)

1 month later
#870 5 years ago

It's a combination of things to happen, and it's because of a single memory address being used for two different counters.

If you use the official 'alternate' ROM, it fixes this issue.

#873 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I still need to combine ROMs to create a set that does both the 7-digit mod and the bug fix. As a side note I'm going to try to get it loaded onto one of the aftermarket MPU boards...

Which 7-digit mod? The OS conversion, or the hacked-on version?

#875 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I didn't know there are two? I used this one and did the very simple wiring mod: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html
If there is an OS version, it would be nice if it was put into the Alltek board with a switch to select...

Was asking because the current OS 7-digit has the memory bug in it. (I prefer that version though, as the 7-digit hacked version adds a handful of repeating unnecessary calls, and therefor slows down overall processing - most noticeable in the speed of the bonus countdown..)

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Whoever is making these should make the 1s digit increment on a rollover and prevent the need for new 7 digit displays
What language is this stuff written in?

Assembly.
And there is a /10 version. (Personal preference, though, I have to have my scores olend in 0.)

1 month later
#891 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Any news on the LED board or whatever this is? I'm tired of having to fix the rocket ladder sockets constantly. A light board would be awesome!

Drop me a PM.
I have not had a large run done. But if they are really needed, send me a PM and let me know. If I get a small quantity, I may be able to place a small order, to help you guys from needing to do more work.

The board for the METEOR drop targets isn't done yet, but available ARE:
(1) The Rocket Light Board, and
(2) The Spinner lights.

So, let me know what you want, and I will get prices for a small run.

#894 5 years ago

Put me down for a rocket light board please.......
What's the "spinner lights??"
-Nate

Send me a PM.

Yes, it's the same setup as the three rocket lights, so it has the same issues.

#895 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Send me a PM.
Yes, it's the same setup as the three rocket lights, so it has the same issues.

Edit to add:
This is NOT a production run. This is a very small run for those that just HAVE to have the boards because of non-working strips. (Rocket Bonus & Spinner Score). Because of this, the PCBs will be *RED* instead of black, and the price will be HIGHER. I can't estimate a price until I know how many are needed, but I am expecting $125 for the Rocket Bonus.

Because of the price, I am only expecting those that are having issues with the lamp strips to want to order them. The price will vary depending on how many are ordered, so the final price will be adjusted accordingly. I am not making any money off of these, as I get a rush out of people having something in their game with my name on it.

I won't know on shipping time until I get proper price, which should be by the end of this week. I am GUESSING it will be a 4-week turnaround, so middle ot August.

As of right now, I have people interested in 6 Rocket Bonus and 4 Spinner Score. I ahve to get the files together and sent off to the manufacturer. Would like to place order Friday (to avoid an unnecessary two-day delay) so I'll close orders on Noon EST Friday.

#897 5 years ago

Okay, update for anyone still on the fence:
Expected cost of the boards will be:
Rocket Bonus: $100
Spinner Score: $50.

Depending on how many people want them, they **LIKELY** will be cheaper. Expected delivery date, August 17th, but could be later.
Will place order next week.

If Interested, drop me a PM.

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

This is for the proto versions?

Yes. Production versions likely won't be ready 'til the end of the year or so. And then, the other ones will be ready as well. These work - they just will be red PCB instead of black. Everything else will be the same.

2 weeks later
#907 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Mayfair Amusements stocks 1000s of used backglasses. Bgresto is the only one making repro Meteor backglasses. Pinsider Racingpin has a Meteor backglass last time we talked. Also try Pinsiders too-many-pins and ibuypinballs as they have a lot of used backglasses.
If the above leads don’t work try posting in these Facebook groups:
Pinball Machines and Parts Wanted
Pinball And Arcades <Parts only>

For the record, I believe that BGResto's does NOT include any mirroring, however. (Something to keep in mind, at least.)

2 months later
#978 5 years ago

Are the 22-26AWG crimp contacts the size that I want to use?? Of course, when I sit down to make an order, Great Plains is out of stock!!!

Go to Mouser.com or Digikey.com

3 months later
#1093 5 years ago

Hey..

Can ya'll verify for me..

Did Meteor ship with #455 bulbs behind the backglass at all?

#1097 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I don't see any, only 44/47 bulbs

Interesting, thanks!!

#1101 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

it's the same socket size right?
Just a different type of bulb, do they go in the lighting baffles?

Yeah, the head of the bulb is different (more rounded) but they fit in the same socket.

Quoted from vec-tor:

#455 lamp...
Gottlieb would use a different lamp socket to delineate the #455 lamp on there back box.
Bally used cupped back box spots on Captian Fantastic pinball; Wizard did not.
Data East used #455 in there back box... but did not have a marker; usually the bottom row G.I.
Data East and Williams would use the #545 wedge lamp... Williams used black wedge socket to
_delineate.
Stern/Williams/Gameplan/Bally 1980's back box as a rule... used #455 as accents to
the back box, what ever the Operators likings were. #455 was/is more expensive
than the #44 or #47 lamps... some Operators would use #55 ouch!
This lamps would be on sale and where cheap.
#130 lamp, nobody knows about... small with a round head... good for having an air gap
from the back board to the backglass.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

Somebody must have changed them to get the flickering effect.

I was asking because my Meteor has (since I've had it) #455's in all the sockets behind the game's logo. From the look of these bulbs (some burnt out, some have corroded bases, etc) they have been in there a while. However, I don't remember if the other Meteors I've played back in the days had the blinkers or not.

1 week later
#1110 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I am. are they out of the "boutique zone" ?

Supposedly. But the email address, when you pre-purchase, says (or did when I did) thanks for the interest in the boutique listing.

1 month later
#1145 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I joined the club today! Yay!!
I am having a problem, however. The lights come on and it is making a two toned sound over and over and not ejecting the ball. It keeps flashing "shoot again" on the backglass. Any ideas?

Sounds like the outhole kicker isn't firing. And since you made no mention of drop targets resettting over and over, I'm guessing you have a blown fuse, or no coil power.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

As he mentions, if it is saying "shoot again" it is like it thinks the ball drained. What happens if you put the ball at the plunger manually? Do targets register?

If you shoot the ball, and do not his a switch and the ball ends up in the outhole, the game will do exactly that - flash the 'shoot again' light, reset all the drop-targets, and try to serve you the ball again. This is why I asked.

Quoted from Daditude:

The flippers do not flip, the drop targets dont raise up, and the score just goes up and up.

Okay, you have no coil power. At all. Did you check the fuse under the playfield?
You need to look at the schamatic, and find out where your coil power is not making it to the playfield.

1 week later
#1178 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Has anyone used the Stern MPU-200 NVRAM Adaptor from https://nvram.weebly.com/ (bottom of the page) successfully in their Meteor? It replaces the U8 and U13 chips. I was thinking of putting one in mine so I don't have to mess with a remote battery holder.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I ran it in mine without any issue. Sound or otherwise.
I eventually replaced my MPU200 because of stuck/broken DIPs, but I still have the board.

2 months later
#1224 4 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

the high voltage fuse blew on the way home apparently

On the way home?! Did your vehicle get struck by lightning? Are you okay?

Welcome to the club!

2 months later
#1284 4 years ago

You may have a bad PIA.

Get Leon's Test ROM and see if everything works as expected. Or, if you can't get a copy of the ROMs, try changing out both PIAs.

#1287 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

This is a new (purchased last year before he offered user configuration) weebly mpu. Game was pretty much sitting til I got a chance to dig into it this summer. I assume PIAs could be bad even if new. I can move my Alltek board over and set it for Meteor and check status. How would a test rom work on the weebly, by chance?

Oh, I missed that fact!
How the ROM would work, no idea off hand unfrotuanely. And while PIAs COULD go bad, it's less likely of a thing.

Try disconnecting your sound board, and see if issues clear up or not.

3 weeks later
#1295 4 years ago

Coyote
I wanted to clarify this test with you. I disconnected the ribbon cable (its new), not the power connectors on the bottom. Were you meaning power? I can retest if so. The random sling issue has gotten fairly rare. Happens every 5 or games. The HSTD light issue happens all the time. Hit a METEOR drop, it flickers, sling fires, it flickers, hit the dead bumpers, it flickers. Pop bumper, surprisingly does not make it flicker. GAAHHHHH!

That's what I meant, yuppers. Disconnecting the power plugs would kind of do the same thing, but leave the (dead) board connected to the circuit and could cause other issues. With the ribbon cable disconnected, you're removing it from the address/data lines altogether, so it's a better test.

Another thing I would check is your +5v. Maybe it has a LOT of AC ripple which is causing issues? Or a bad cap on the MPU? (I don't remember if you mentioned replacing the MPU and still getting the issue or not, sorry!)

2 months later
#1370 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

CPR had Meteor playfields up as "printing now", but I noticed today they are no longer on the site. I was definitely late to the game, but curious if anyone got a purchase e-mail from them? Probably gone already....

I signed up for them, twice, and haven't heard a thing.

3 weeks later
#1401 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The wait was worth it and finally over!! In photos, my restored PF on the left, CPR on the right. Very pleased with the PF. Smooth clear with no flecks or boogers. Wood thickness and dimensions are consistent to original. Major cutouts for flippers, slings, drops and pops are very consistent to the original. I verified by placing the CPR over the original and I can see all cutouts aligned very well.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting. I too am surprised they left out the rubber sizes.

Also, did they use the wrong color for the secondary, outer insert keylines? (Easiest to notice comparing the two playfields and the lights in front of the "METEOR" drops..) Or, did your playfield just fade that much? I can't tell on my OEM field since I'm not at home at the moment. ..

#1405 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think CPR has only done 2 classic Stern pfs, the other being F2K. That one also didn't have the rubber sizes, not sure why, but they are not necessary since they are shown in the manual.
Keylines, My original was restored so I cannot verify the extra thickness on mine but they are both yellow.

Not complaining, just noting differences. I looked at yours more closely, and it just looks like it was restore work. (I got home late last night and didn't go downstairs. Now that I'm up, I will be working in the basement this long weekend, so I will be taking a look.)

I also noticed on CPR's site (and verified on your images) it looks like they missed a dimple up behind the Meteor drops, and have another added hole in the back arch. More light!

#1408 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

It could be a missing dimple, or my pf had an extra hole there.

Oh, no. That post was added during production. Mine has it to, as does the other handful of Meteor's I've seen. (I'm guessing because they had reports of the ball hitting that rubber and smashing one of the bulbs back there.)

(And you're right, I was mistaking one of the registration marks as s drilled hole on first glance!)

#1410 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

That could be but I think it was just missed. With no post there, you would have an unused hole on the plastic piece. All you need to do is place the plastic piece over the existing dimples and mark the location of the missing dimple. I'm not sure but maybe doubling up on the rubber ring will reduce the chance of breaking the GI lamp?

Oh I don't see it as a problem - just noting differences.

1 week later
#1423 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Positive:

Hey All,
Happy to have just joined the club and have a MET that's acting a little strange. The "O" drop target is not registering consistently. When I am in switch test mode, everything seems fine. All switches work as expected. But when playing a game, the "O" only registers about 50% of the time. In fact, if it's the last drop standing, it never registers and the bank won't reset. Oddly, it seems to work less the later in the sequence that drop is hit. So far, I have not noticed this behavior on any of the other switches.
Any ideas?

Not sure anyone here can help with your Metallica, but in test mode, are you testing by using your finger, or by flipping a pinball around?

#1432 4 years ago
Quoted from Kolrath:

Hello All!
Wanted to stop in and ask all you owners out there if you have some repair advise for me. I recently replace my rectifier board since the old one was hacked and cooked. I was able to flip it before replacing but had no scores display. Now that i have put in a new Gulf pinball rec board i have score displays again but now no flippers or drop bank resets. i did testing and have all the proper DC but for some reason have NO AC at Test Point. I have also check all fuses and those have been good. the other funny thing is my 8 pin appears to have something in the wrong place since when i shift the wire around i get GI with no inserts and in another no GI but inserts. i can only think i have messed up wire placement since the game flipped before this replacement but now doesn't. Any advice would be great and if you have pictures would be awesome since most times i can follow that better.
Thanks all![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

AFAIK, Meteor only used *8* pins on the top left connector. It looks repinned with a wire on pin #9. Check that plug and verifty against the schematics. Note that Pin 1 on the board, for all three connectors, starts on the left -> right.

#1443 4 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Love the 7 digit mod. Another item on the to-do list!

I did the 7-digit mod on mine, but I went .. the non-standard route. I used original Bally plasma displays (because the Stern 7-digits have larger boards. This let me keep the mounting method for the displays and not have to adjust or remount the brackets), and did the wiring myself - I added a single-pin molex connector to the added wire, so that if I wanted to jump back to 6-digit, I just disconnect it and all is good. I'd odd in the fact that I LIKE the 'soft' glow of plasma displays.

#1446 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If you haven't seen them yet you should check out pinitech's new displays, they really got it dialed in

My OCD dosen't care for a period as a comma - unless I happen to be traveling overseas. I have been watching his projects, though!

#1451 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

They're not periods any more. They contracted a factory to produce custom LED arrays with real commas modeled off the original glass. I've been a purist for plasma glass for a long time, but I finally caved and bought a set for Xenon in white. It's perfect... like nailing it out of the park perfect.

Interesting, I hadn't caught that. Will need to look it up, now..!

#1455 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

The playfield in my Meteor is original and the 7 digit displays are the Uno displays by pinitech. I’m running a new MPU that has the 7 digit code built in.
I’m not doing a swap on this game. Hope to find a beater in the next year to put it in or I’ll pass the playfield on to someone that needs it.
New Meteor rails just got finished up.[quoted image]

My PF is on its way. I may order a set of blues from you for my Meteor soon. Whenever you open back up. I think the blue would look sweet.

#1458 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Dang Mike! You weren't the first one on the list lol...

I know, I know.

Though I did technical sign up twice, when it was under 'Boutique', and then under 'Preorder'. It's possible they saw the double sign up and bumped me down.

At the moment, expected delivery is Thursday because the box has been sitting in Indianapolis for the last three days.

#1466 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

anyone have an idea how much extra weight is needed for the repro drop targets? My new ones look nice but dont fall all the way down consistently and I see people have added weights..
thanks

I have repro targets, and never needed weight. Are you using the right springs?

#1467 4 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Has anyone purchased a CPR mirrored Meteor backglass? I picked one up on the holiday sales and pulled it out for an install... the mirror layer has a foggy look to it, it's not a crystal clear mirror look like the original. Is that the new expected look for mirrored CPR backglasses? Just want to confirm if that is the new expected look or if I might have a bad print.

I just got mine, and looked closely at it. I hate to say it, but it's not "mirrored", it is "metallic silver". Comparing side-by-side, you can see the difference.

#1469 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

It looks like it’s the original springs.
They go down, but not always all the way down.

Check, perhaps, your switches - if they are too tight, they can stop the fall of the target. If the target (when not all the way down) is resting on the switch's activator, try loosening them (the switches) up some.

#1477 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Is it just me or is it missing a bunch of score values below the meteor drop targets?

Go read and catch up on the thread you you yourself started.

#1481 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Oh. Oh noooooooooo. Oh no oh no oh no.... nooooo.... that's not good at all.
Makes me glad I snagged a NOS field off of here a couple of years back. It's still waiting to be swapped in this summer.

You're telling me. My original PF isn't recoverable, due to previous operators/owners spilling some oil onto the field, and soaking in. I'm stuck with this repro now, and.. hope to at least make it as best as I can - even if it means having it re-cleared and putting on decals for the scores.

1 week later
#1488 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I almost hate to say this, but if highclasspinball is going to produce playfields that don't have the artwork errors, I'm just going to buy from him.

My number 1 right now is Peter - @buthamburg. He does limited runs of them, and limited titles per year, but the Getaway field I got from him was flawless. I actually traded it to @kruzman for a re-clearing of my Meteor field. I'm waiting on a small touchup to the numbers before I lay them all out and get a quote on decals.

Quoted from slochar:

I"m hoping the rail I ordered from Marco fits it.

Please keep us informed - I realized back when it arrived that my existing rails.. ffffffck.

1 week later
#1491 4 years ago

Huh/
I got an email from CPR this morning.

They're telling me I can order my playfield if I want!

... They sent me the same email back in January. .. I am constantly amazed how these guys can sit down and not fall off their chairs.

Okay, sorry, that was low. But no mention of the mistake in the email - it is the same email I got back in January. Guessing this means I can order another if I want to..

#1493 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Is anyone attempting to make a water slide and mylar fix for the new CPR playfield? Or is anyone willing to take some of my money for for it?

Absolutely HUGE conversation over here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-playfield-reproductions-coming
In short: Yes.

#1499 4 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Just got my email, it says they only have 11 Playfields left

With or without scores? /sarcasm

#1501 4 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Yeah still no scores that is probably the main reason I’m not getting it. That and it went up $50 even though I preordered.

Don't blame you. I WAS going to order two - one for wall art. Not now.

1 week later
#1502 4 years ago

Quick question...

Are the Meteor Bonus 7k inserts the same color as the Special inserts?

#1504 4 years ago

Okay, thanks!

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Yes, mine are.

Thank you!

1 week later
#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

1. Sound is terrible, nothing missing, but cuts in and out and is scratchy, inconsistent.

Clean your volume pot first.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

2. When the ball has drained, the game takes 10 to 15 seconds to recognize the ball is sitting on the drain switch, I’m pretty sure the switch is good, I could replace the switch, but it ohms out just fine.

Is the game doing anything score-wise as you wait? If not, go into switch mode, make sure all switches are open, and drop the ball in the outhole - see if there's a delay before the switch number pops up on the displays.

#1528 4 years ago

Honestly, likely it's the MPU and the version of the software it's running. Since you can't change it, you may be SOL.

#1530 4 years ago

You know, I have yet to see the movie.

Stuck at home now.. I may torture myself.

#1535 4 years ago

+1 for Weebly - awesome dude, and his replacement MPUs not only can work with custom code, but opens up more RAM space for future development and modifications to existing game software. Seriously, can NOT get better than that.

Reports have stated, too, the the Alltek guy just refuses to modify or update the software in his boards, so the fact that Weebly likes to work with us collectors (and customers) and Alltek doesn't speaks volumes to me.

#1538 4 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Anyone have the Weebly light board in their Meteor?

I do. What's up?

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Were you able to install LEDs without issue? I have the LED boards and some on the controlled lights still don't work. I also have some bad SCRs I believe so just replacing would save me time. Wondering about the LEDs though...

Yup, no issue here.

Note that because of Meteor's light timing, it's possible that the first handful of bulbs (on Meteor, it's the 1st Rocket Bonus) may still strobe without an extra resistor to bring current up even more..)

3 weeks later
#1565 3 years ago

Why the heck are your rollovers green and yellow?

#1568 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I had Reese Rails make me a set of rails to match the Pink/purple in the game. I think they will look great. Going to start my playfield swap in the next few weeks.
[quoted image]

I was going to talk to Reese about making a set - but I was thinking of going dark, almost midnight blue.

Be sure to grab a pick of these once installed!

1 week later
#1574 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi.
thanks for this tip! ? My meteor is doing exactly this with the rocket 1 row, Alltek board, all types of leds. Any tips on resistor size and mounting please..?
Thankyou!

I used 220 ohm, 1/4w, and just soldered it to the light socket.

#1577 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Great thanks, solder accross terminals or in series with led??

Yeah, terminal to terminal - in parallel with the bulb.

#1580 3 years ago

Rid is NLA. I don't remember off-hand the numb3r, but I spent all winter searching for a replacement. Even Steve at PBR didn't have any. Recommended the black, plastic knobbed standard one as a replacement.

1 month later
#1601 3 years ago

Operator. Wanted the playfield to not get any worse. Put varathane on it, then put it back in game. Playfield protected!

Not a collector or anyone that wanted to 'preserve' the game, beyond making it last longer and make more money. Remember, guys, these were commercial machines.

1 week later
#1606 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

What's the story behind the two different backglasses offered by CPR?
Which would you order?
Does it make a difference?

The story as far as I understand, is like this:
There was apparently some early, and less-common (not sure HOW uncommon) revisions of the backglass - (1) Proto/Sample Red Score windows? (2) Version with NO "CREDIT" and no Green layer, and (3) The most common, green layer with 'CREDIT'.
Someone offered CPR an 'NOS' backglass, and CPR did NO research on it, assuming the glass they got was 'standard'. It, sadly, was the one with no 'CREDIT' and no green color.
After the issue was brought up to their attention, they re-ran their glass with the green spot color. It still has no 'CREDIT' text, but supposedly is correct everywhere else.

Hence, you can chose which version you want.

1 week later
#1618 3 years ago

Is anyone running Andrew's latest board in their Meteor? I have an older version with the bug fix rom. Does the free play option on the newer selectable board also have the bug fixes? Sound and bonus bugs, that is.
Thanks for any assistance.
RC

Who is "Andrew"?
If Alltek, no. He refuses to update the software in his board.
If Weebly, then you need either (1) the lasted rev board from him, or (2) burn your own copy of v64/v74, and plug it into the board.
If someone else named "Andrew", contact him and ask.

#1626 3 years ago

Andrew is the guy making the weebly boards.

OKay, yeah, so just burn a chip and plug it into the open socket there, or ask him for an updated master chip.
No, the older version does not have bug fix & free play. That was made/finished only recently, so only the very latest will have that rev.

#1630 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

but you can't run that on an original board?

Sure you can. No reason you couldn't.

And yes, on these games for me, NVRam is fine.

2 months later
#1683 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I saw someone post about finding this the other day and ngl, I'm pretty damn jealous.
[quoted image]

Holy fuck no way, I want it.

#1685 3 years ago

Get in line lolol
I'm sure it'll get posted at full flipper $800000000 price.

$1bil my Xmas?

#1706 3 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I want it built and ready. I like quick and efficient. Hahahaha

Considering how the "E" wires are connected to your original board, you're going to have SOME work..

#1717 3 years ago

Weebly makes fantastic stuff. Best MPU out there. Provides an Audio board. While I've never used his rect board before, I have no doubt it works, and works well.

#1719 3 years ago

I like the LEDs - and commented a long time ago why more didn't have them. I was shot down for being 'stupid' and how 'impossible' it was. Well, jerks, what do you say now? *cough*

That aside, why not just make J1 9 pins, like every other board out there? Seems like a waste to have two identical boards for ONE pin on a connector.

#1726 3 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I saw above someone drilling out locks. Pnball/arcade locks are often low quality wafer locks and can be picked by simple "raking" - you can get a wafer rake for cheap online. Optionally, jam in an old and wide flat blade screwdriver and torque it back and forth and you can often force it to turn enough to open. Saves a lot of trouble and mess.

True.
But sometimes it's just fun to f*cking DESTROY something.

#1730 3 years ago

Ok gang, I'm back. I got the ribbon cables situated correctly. Right to left, and that got the machine to turn on, go through the 7 beeps, and the score displays come on. I can start a game, BUT there is absolutely nothing happening.
There is no power to the flippers, no power to anything on the pf. if I push the flipper buttons, I get just a TEENY amount of upwards movement from the right flipper but you can barely notice it.
What the hell do I check next?? I feel like I'm really close to getting it going, but the game just sits there, all GI lights and the background "thrumming" sound works, but the targets do not re-set. Something is amiss.
Please post things for me to check.
Appreciate the help!
-Nate

Coil power.
Fuse under playfield. (And other fuses.)
SDB board.
Rectifier board.

.. Start from the coils, and work your way towards the transformer. (Not physically; I mean electrically.)

1 week later
#1746 3 years ago

Ok, I checked the switch on the outhole. It opens once the ball is sent to the shooter lane - But, I am still getting "phantom scoring" and sounds with the ball simply sitting in the shooter lane.......................
Am I correct thinking that something is crossed somewhere, or something is shorting against something metallic beneath the playfield somewhere in the wiring?
Before I hit the start button, the machine is quiet, and the attract lights are on, but once I hit the start button, the thing goes wacky!!!
Thanks again for any tips,
Nate

Can you record a video, with sound?

2 weeks later
#1783 3 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

My star rollovers a tually went in loose with no clearcoat trimming needed. Got all the drops cleaned and rebuilt. Slowly coming together. This is my first attempt at a “restore” and I am learning constantly. Being an impatient person works against me as I have to remind myself to go slow and not screw stuff up.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you are going to toss them, or not use them, can I grab your off-white old drops?

#1788 3 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I think I tossed them, but if not they are yours.

Thanks! Let me know. Will pay you of course!

1 week later
#1802 3 years ago

Does adjusting the two set-screws on either side of the round bar where the platform that swings up to re-set the drop targets help at all to raise the drops higher above the pf line?
If you loosen those can you swing the bar in either direction to get more height and then re-set the screws??

No. AFAIK, those screws are just there to make sure that the lift bar grabs onto the rod. If my previous knowledge is correct, the height/depth of the targets aren't adjusable by it.

#1813 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Just throwing this out there. A while back I asked the guys at pinballrescue.net to make Meteor plastics. I took a while but they have been done for a couple years now. They did a great job on them and they matched the colors very well. Their price is $118, not sure what that equates to in USD but might be the same and they take paypal IIRC.
Not sure of the current Covid restrictions or time dealys though, but worth a look if you need to replace all of your plastics.

Got a set myself, and they're fantastic quality. Highly recommend. Hell, I have been toying with buying a second set, just to have on hand..

#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I replaced a set with the heat stamped ones , and they all sit lower than your R
Looks like the stickers would have been a better solution

Same here. I've lived with it, for now. But once I go to swap playfields, I'll likely fix that.

#1821 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

aside from switching to different targets and stickers, is there any way to life them higher. Or is it just bc the length is not original

Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I suspect coyote plans to route out a recess for the drop target assembly to fit down (up) into. That's about the only real way I could think it could be done easily. It'd only need ~1/8"

Honestly, I haven't yet thought about how. Part of me is thinking to pull out the old tombstone drops, retro-brite them, and stick them back in.

2 weeks later
#1860 3 years ago

Got the ribbon cables installed correctly.
When I turn on game, it goes through the 7 chimes and all score displays are lit.
Pressing the start button causes the machine to go into a loop of constantly resetting, and I have no reaction in slings pops, etc.

Above link is a video, really appreciate any guidance, I'm ready to play!!

What Lovef2k says.The game is seeing your outhole switch closed when there's no ball there. The game's software will serve the ball back to you if you literally get no points, and that's what's happening here.

#1864 3 years ago

working but obviously is not registering

It is stuck closed, so while a new switch wouldn't hurt, likely it may not be needed - I would check the switch contacts, make sure they're open and not touching, and then work towards the wire of the switch, and make sure there's no shorts (with no ball in the outhole). ..Depending on how expnsive a new switch is, this could save you some time and money.

#1872 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

To me, it looks as though the "drop" coil is locked on for the "R" which keeps it stuck in a loop trying to reset that bank which could keep the game from initializing properly. If it were simply a mechanical issue that cause the "R" to drop, the game would just think you hit the "R",

Unless the switch is ALSO stuck closed, either on purpose because the previous owner/op couldn't fix the drop target, or there's gneeral switch matrix issues, which would explain the outhole switch looking correct while the game still thinks it's closed.

Now I'm rather curious on switch test results!

1 week later
#1892 3 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

For anyone interested, I managed to get some post lights on the posts behind the 6 drop bank so i didnt have those 2 lamps always blinding me. Had to tweak the PCBs a bit. Post is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-light-mod-mod
Additionally, I tried out that adaptor kit that removes blinking from LEDs being driven by old lamp boards, and I'm sad to repirt that it only worked for about 1/2 of the LEDs that were flashing. I think the resistor values used on the boards are too high valued. One of my LEDs only stopped blinking with a sub 150 ohm resistance in parallel. Unfortunately, a 100 ohm resistor results in about 0.2 Watts of power dissipation, and most surface mount resistors are rated at 0.1 W. I could get some 0.25 W ones, but they would still get too hot for my liking. So in the interest of ease and time, I just bought the alltek lamp driver replacement board. I'll let y'all know how that works after it gets here in a few days.

Seeing the last pic in that linked thread, the back of the PF looks FAR dark now, though.

2 weeks later
#1898 3 years ago

After playing Meteor a lot I'm not sure I understand the red "Collect all Rockets" on the out lanes. You get all the rocket bonus build up every ball so what is that giving when lit?

It awards all of your rocket values, withOUT the multiplier.

Say Rocket 1 is at 3, Rocket 2 is at 2, and Rocket 3 is at 5 - when that's lit, and you roll over it, you'll be awarded 10k. And then at bonus, get 10k times your Bonus.

#1900 3 years ago

Ah, so it gives the rocket value in addition to/before it does the rocket x bonus count down. I didn't watch the score close enough just thought it was weird since you get the rocket score when you loose a ball anyway.
Thanks!

It's fast - it's really easy to miss. I only say this because for a while *I* was confused as well.

4 weeks later
#1909 3 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Anyone else have a red meteor in the upper playfield? A buddy of mine is restoring one and thinks it might either be a end of run variant or a prototype game.
[quoted image]

I almost looks like there's an additional screen color used there..
Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg
Other tham the obvious touch-up on the black, the design looks identical to mine, but where mine is all orange, that looks to have two different screens. Perhaps with a better shot of mine or someone else's, it'll be possible to see to two separate screens.

What's the explosion look like over by the spinner?

#1915 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Check the manufacturing date...should be in a few places.
It it is early in the run it is probably a prototype, later in the run, a variant.
If I recall correctly mine has a piece of paper with Mfg date in the head, the cab and on the bottom of the playfield.

If it has survived, there was usually a quality-control piece of paper stapled to the underside of the playfield (near the outhole) that would have the date stamped.

#1919 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaymach1:

Here's the explosion, it also has red. I'm guessing the games earlier in the run had red and then they did away with it for some reason. [quoted image]

I'm guessing the white was repainted, because the rubber sizes aren't there. Heh. And it looks like a VERY bright white.
That's fascinating as hell though - I'm going to guess that they likely purged the red into the orange to save a few bucks. One less color, one less pass, less ink used, less time needed.

That's the kinda playfield I would take apart inch by inch, and see what else, if anything, was altered.

2 weeks later
#1935 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If there is a stencil set for the back of Meteor I'd be interested in one. Someone painted over the back and it's all black. Would be nice to restore that.

I believe the company that makes the stencils, it has one for the back of the backbox.

Edit: Yup, see here: http://pinballpimpstencils.com/meteor/

1 month later
#1978 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaymach1:

Here's the red accent meteor that I'm almost finished with. I sprayed the final coat of clear yesterday. Just a wet sand and buff left to do.
[quoted image][quoted image]

IMHO, I really, really, *REALLY* like the added red highlight. I kind of wish you were able to get that scanned for record before assembling it. :I

#1980 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

I own a red Meteor variant as well. Planning to strip the pf next winter for a restore. I'll definitely scan and share for anyone interested.

I'll hold you to it. With the PF Mfr's no longer screening, I would love to see a repro of this version.

Maybe even including the METEOR 'score' values!

2 weeks later
#1989 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I plan to open a Pinside shop for the sale of tech cards and labels for various games. Since these were just done I wanted to offer this to the club right away.
These are very accurate replicas of the Meteor tech cards and warning stickers with some enhancements. I had these printed on heavier stock than the original flimsy paper were. 3 of the cards are specific to Meteor and the rest are generic to Stern MPU-200 games. List includes:
Meteor Self Test Display Numbers (mounted in cabinet right side front)
MPU Switch Settings/ Meteor Switch Assignment (Back Box)
Series Switches and Positions (Back Box)
Grounding Boards Warning (Back Box)
Self Test (Back Box)
Ground Connection Label (Back Box)
Stern 16-B Transformer Wiring Connection Instructions (Cabinet Floor Behind Transformer)
QC Checklist(Under Playfield)
Fuse ID 1.25A Slo Blo Fuse (Under Playfield)
Fuse ID Chart (Rectifier Board Mounting Plate)
High Voltage Warning Sticker, QTY 6 (Score Display Trays and 1 for Rectifier Board Shield)
High Voltage Sticker (Solenoid Driver Safety Shield)
Self Test/Memory Clear (Coin Door)
18 Pieces total.
The price is $45 and postage is included for USA. International okay.
I also have complete sets for F2K, EBD, Xenon, Flash Gordon and Bally Star Trek. Seawitch coming soon. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Does your Meteor DIP chart take into slochar 's updated ROM? (I was going to do this for the DIp switch chart, as I wanted to have a copy with the new functions on it.. )

#2025 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I thought someone in this thread made water slide decals to fix the missing numbers. If you're getting it cleared then you should be able to add them.

I did, yup. Not sure how many decals I still have available.

With Meteor being my 'gateway game', back in the mid-80's when I would go over to a neighbor's house and play one in his garage (and always wanted to help whenever I broke it..), I've spent a lot of money on this playfield, plastics from Rescue Pinball, and other things on the game... The shit job CPR did on this playfield really saddens me. I would be willing to dish out money for <b>someone else</b> to make a run of Meteor fields, and do it right. Maybe with the red screen added. I would do everything I could to get it, including stripping my own OEM field and sending it off. In a perfect world, someone like Peter or Wade would be top picks, but sadly I'm probably the only one that would still get one with all the CPR repros out there..

#2028 3 years ago

Count me in for a 'full set' if you have it. Just let me know how much and where to send payment and I'll get it done. I know those decals alone won't make this 'perfect' but it'll at least take care of SOME of the crap CPR clearly should have caught. I honestly didn't catch a lot of this until I went through the thread (but I also didn't really look that closely over it). I'm not sure how my friend would feel about a lot of these things if I pointed them out but given that he's a graphic designer by trade, my guess is that it would absolutely eat at him if I brought some of these flaws into his purview. Better to just quietly fix what I can and leave it at that, IMO. I love this game (and miss it, a lot, as a part of my collection) and it's the game that made us friends, so I want it to be as nice as possible when all is said and done. I don't think the swap needs to happen any time soon (could be 1-3 years from now and it would be just fine with both of us) so if that means taking a step back on what I had planned (dropping it off for reclearing in the next few days) then by all means. No rush means plenty of time to do this right, or at least as 'right' as I can.

Drop me a PM with your address, and I will find them and get them sent out next time I run to PO. (I need to assemble a WPC-S battery board and get it out too, so a run to the PO is coming up..)

1 month later
#2078 2 years ago

Yeah, honestly, I have never seen a Meteor without that extra post. Be interesting to see if there ware any out there. (And I mean assembled that way, not removed. )

#2084 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never seen a Meteor with the extra post and no post holes either

Yeah, but you're just strange. Everyone knows that.

Quoted from bigguybbr:

There is definitely some variation in the playfields. When I reached out to CPR about the #3 drop target slot being 0.3" smaller on their than my original playfield, they were able to pull out their 2 originals and verify that they were both indeed smaller. I posted the pics on my resto thread, but to compare, here they are.

Interesting! I am tempted to go measure mine now when I get home. I have not yet done the PF transfer, as I have another game currently being worked on. (And letting Ron's clearcoating cure.) Am curious what I'll find, now.

#2087 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Measured my original pf (red Meteor variant)

Was wondering if your PF would have that extra post. Good to know..

2 months later
#2185 2 years ago

Okay, with the recent talk of drop target names, and with Meteor my next PF swap coming up, added to the fact I needed to clean some things using the sonic cleaner, I got out the original drops that came out of my Meteor and got them cleaned up. The replacements were bought new, and ar ethe ones that have the large lip on the top of them.

When I got my game, the rockets were all original. But the 'METEOR' drops had some replacements in the set. Only one looks original, my "M" target. However, I am not entirely sure it IS original, as it is different from the rockets. Are all the METEOR targets supposed to be like this, for the 'memory' feature?

photo_2021-08-08_13-49-50 (resized).jpgphoto_2021-08-08_13-49-50 (resized).jpg

In case you can't see the echos of the text, the one on the left is from the "3" rocket, and the one on right is the "M" target. They are identical, except for the long lead-catch on the "M".

I am going to need at least 3 of these, at MOST 6, if these are not meant to be on the game.

Edit: The lightning bolt is 1 of two obvious replacements - they are identical to the "M", just with the bolt on the front of them. A third one (not pictured) was one with the lip that a previous operator actually ground off to make it fit.

#2188 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I recall seeing a photo somewhere on pinside of someone using those Bally targets in a classic stern with the metal target guide part of the drop bank assembly turned upside down.

Yes! When I bought the replacement drop targets (he hooded ones like the one in your first pic, far right), I had to reverse that bracket - it WAS at the top for these short-latch targets - so that the hooded ones would work right. I was going to revert it because they seem to sit lower than the plain (chicklet?0 ones, and I wanted to go back to original.

Now, comparing to both of Lovef2k and yours, I'm even more confused. Why would someone with my game replace ALL three set of rocket drop targets with Bally ones?

I'm effin' confused now.

Lovef2k - You you wanna sell a few, let me know. Need to get enough to make a straight 'METEOR'!

#2193 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Because that's the only way they were sold via classic arcades for years, even though they're wrong.

While this fact is true, I do not believe that all three complete assemblies were replaced, when three of my "METEOR' drop targets were replaced. As an operator, I would have only changed the targets, not the whole assembly. And if I had to get three targets in one order, I would keep the other two 'new' ones as spares.

Quoted from swinks:

also in my experimenting there is a slight difference in the bottom anchor point of the drop target between the the Bally's and Stern's so they will sit slightly different.

That one you have pictured, on the right, is different from the one that Mathazar posted in his pic above (first pic, far right). I have one like that - but the operator actually filed down that large top, I guess to make it fit in the existing mechanism with the existing targets. As far as I can tell - unofficial measuring - it's identical to the others both he and I have pictured.

Honestly, I find these small differences quite interesting and amazing, and the 'confusion' behind it. Like, for example, was the reversible ledge created before or after the two styles of 'chicklet' targets (with short catch and long catch?) or was there a need for the long ones, and then they decided to make he ledge reversible to handle both?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngphoto_2021-08-08_20-15-24 (resized).jpgphoto_2021-08-08_20-15-24 (resized).jpg
#2200 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I may try to retrobright them.

I'm retro-brighting mine. I got the set of hot-stamped targets, with the hoods on them, and while the font is correct, I do not like how they work.

#2207 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I would be interested to know if the retrobright removes the lettering on the OEM targets.

Not sure what you're meaning, all my OEM targets had decals on them - save for the ones the operator replaced with the bolts. (The star one I'm not going to do, since it was a 'hacked' job.) Unless you're meaning the difference in lack of fade between the yellow and white?

Quoted from play_pinball:

I just retrobrited the coin entry slots on this door. It took 3 full days in the sun to really see results.

I didn't even think about that - I may strip my door and do them all soon, with summer still in swing and the sun bright as heck..!

#2210 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I did that with mine for my Trident resto. I ran them through the ultrasonic cleaner first, then retrobrited them. Below is a comparison to the ones that were just ultrasonic cleaned, and the ones that were retrobrited.
[quoted image]

Ah, nice! I ultrasoniclly cleaned mine there before I posted my pics. Interesting, it didn't (really) damage the blue lightning bolts at all. Was surprised to see that.

#2232 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The shooter rod itself is isolated from the cab by the beehive on the Sterns. I can't think of a way to ground it. I would think since the inner plate is grounded, you should be fine.

Isn't there a coil sleeve in there as well?

1 month later
#2291 2 years ago

rkill.

Quoted from play_pinball:

Like this? Just added to my Star Gazer build by your recommendation. The bus wire is 18awg green to the knocker only for some reason.
[quoted image]

Yeah, that will work.
For future reverence, though, you don't need the two Grn/Black from the fuse to the coil, since they're joined at the fuse terminal.

1 month later
#2330 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I've seen it before, this mod I believe was done at factory on very early displays and then became standard once the PCB was redone though they got changed to a 2.2k resistors. Leave them there, they limit the 2N5401 digit driver transistors from being over-driven.
[quoted image]

Holy crap. Learn something new all the time. Nice!

#2337 2 years ago

Or the hold coil in the flipper coil is bad, wire broke, etc..

1 year later
#2626 1 year ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

I’m a bit of a rookie at this. What is the logic of swapping those chips? Or what should I be looking for after the swap?

Those are RAM chips, and they store different information. Swapping them will change how the game acts, and will tell us whether one is bad, or not. So this will rule them out so diagnostics can move on to somewhere else, or, address a bad chip.

#2628 1 year ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

BOOM! took a U8 chip off of an old Bally board and swapped it. Game is working perfectly now. A few other things I thought were odd, but hadn't dug into yet were also fixed in the process. Thanks a ton for the help. I suppose that chip was bad or the legs were just dirty. Either way it is fixed now. I'm certain I'll be bugging you guys with more questions soon. Have a great night!
Travis

Don't thank me. I just dumbed it down, because slochar 's the friggin' master with these systems.
Glad that got it though. Relatively easy fix. MAY wanna make sure the battery's not leaking and causing bad connection on one of those RAM chips. In case this hasn't been mentioned before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
272 posts in this topic match your search for posts by coyote. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.