IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2065 2 years ago

Hey all. I'm working on a restoration of my own Meteor (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201)

While I was working on the large 6 bank drop target, I got a call right in the middle of when I had the left most leaf switch completely disassembled.

Does anyone have the correct order that the leaf switch stack goes back together. I just want to check and make sure I have it right.

**edit When I say left most it is looking at the switches from the back. I think it would be the letter R on the target bank**

#2067 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Why would it be different than the other 5 switch stacks? Can you look at those for correct order?

Absolutely. I was getting in my own head. I read another post where someone had their switches set up differently for half the targets. It's good. Time to move on to other things.

#2075 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Were you thinking of where people were using the bottom mounted switches instead of the back mounted? (Possibly because the bent type arm is hard to source)

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. Beers may have been involved

#2076 2 years ago

I tried searching posts for “posts” but didn’t find anything, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered in length.

Comparing my CPR to my original playfield there is an extra post wedged in over the meteor drop targets. Is this needed? Does it make any significant change to the game? I noticed it’s not even shown on the little diagram on the old playfield.

338B4AA3-8152-44A2-AFC9-66560FCEF638 (resized).jpeg338B4AA3-8152-44A2-AFC9-66560FCEF638 (resized).jpeg58196043-088B-435D-BB81-5E71CF3A10D1 (resized).jpeg58196043-088B-435D-BB81-5E71CF3A10D1 (resized).jpeg
#2081 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, honestly, I have never seen a Meteor without that extra post. Be interesting to see if there ware any out there. (And I mean assembled that way, not removed. )

There is definitely some variation in the playfields. When I reached out to CPR about the #3 drop target slot being 0.3" smaller on their than my original playfield, they were able to pull out their 2 originals and verify that they were both indeed smaller. I posted the pics on my resto thread, but to compare, here they are.

IMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2084 (resized).JPGIMG_2084 (resized).JPGIMG_2085 (resized).JPGIMG_2085 (resized).JPG
#2091 2 years ago

This is a good side by side that shows how terrible that gold blob around the purple looks.
That playfield looks decent, why go through the hassle of CPRs half assed repro?

It has some paint loss on it in spots that someone colored in with a sharpie. I'm going to try my hand at my first playfield restoration eventually, but didn't want to have to count on my skills out of the gate. It may not be to everyone's liking, but the playfield does look good in person.

IMG_2064 (resized).JPGIMG_2064 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#2097 2 years ago

I posted this in the SEI thread but figured I would ask here too.

I’m having an issue where my GI lights flicker, and occasional feature lights flash when using my flippers. Does anyone happen to know what it might be? Could it be a bad ground somewhere or a capacitor issue?

I made a quick video where you can see the tilt light flash for no apparent reason as I mash the flippers.

#2102 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

So to revisit CPR's latest playfield run.... I read a lot about the problems with the original playfield CPR did, the most obvious being the missing scores for the "Meteor" drop targets. I see they fixed that with the newest run of playfield. How much of the rest of the font, art etc issues were addressed?
I'm asking because I was "lucky" enough to buy the last of the first run playfields, back in December. I'm considering buying another one if enough of the issues were addressed. I have a second Meteor that could use a playfield but for the money, if the missing scores were the only thing fixed I'll probably just live with it.

I posted this side by side on my restoration thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201

You can see all the differences. I don't get too bent out of shape about slight font differences. The #3 drop target slot was too small for the tombstone style drops. I contacted CPR and they are going to widen it on future runs.

IMG_2064 (resized).JPGIMG_2064 (resized).JPG
#2103 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveSpade73:

I have a problem and could use some help. The other day I came I to the room and the machine was making a never ending audible tone and all the numbers on the pin scores were blank. I turned it of and back on and it booted up fine. When I hit the start button the game started but the targets didn't reset and the ball didn't shoot out but the flippers work. The machine will register a score if you hit the ball on a bumper. Anybody have any idea??

What have you checked so far?

#2113 2 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Finally got the playfield swap going after having to send the playfield out to Neo to add the missing text water slides and letting it sit for a few months. Top side pretty much done.
Suck CPR didn't even make the holes for the t-nuts, we didn't notice till after the clear coating but all good after drilling all the holes.
I think the custom purple Rails from Reese Rails look great, once the plastics are on I think they will look better also.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good. I almost went with the similar color purple for the rails when I made mine. In the end I did black because I like how they blend into the inside of the cabinet

0350B040-84C5-448C-894E-94050ED64216 (resized).jpeg0350B040-84C5-448C-894E-94050ED64216 (resized).jpeg
#2114 2 years ago

Is there a longer bushing required when using the Pinball Life Classic Stern flipper assembly?
https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

My current one sits only slightly proud of the playfield surface and rubs slightly. I would think it should sit about 1/8" above the surface. I measured and it is 1 3/8”.

B93FDD15-FEE5-4EB8-981D-6543B5A2C334 (resized).jpegB93FDD15-FEE5-4EB8-981D-6543B5A2C334 (resized).jpeg
#2116 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

There are two types of bushings for classic sterns. One for mechs that are flush with the playfield, one for mechs that are raised off the playfield. The only one that pinball life sells is the second, longer type which works with its type 2 assemblies. https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-nylon-flipper-bushing.html.

I bought the full assemblies from pinball life with the base plate that is raised off the playfield I linked above, and that included the bushings. I'm wondering if the CPR playfield is thicker from the clear coat, or the Pinball Life baseplate is thicker, and now I need even longer bushings.

I did measure from the top of the mounting plate to the playfield is 12/32" (3/8"). Is this normal or should it be closer to 1/4"?

#2118 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I just found out about these after another guy and I both posted about flipper dragging on other classic Sterns: https://www.pinballlife.com/nylon-flipper-shaft-spacer.html
Iirc, you can also get #14 brass washers from Home Depot or wherever.

Grabbed some #14 brass washers. Helps with the playfield clearance, but now the set screws don't quite grab the recess on the flipper shaft. Might get stuck someday. Oh well...

#2120 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

the grooves are a problem if you do things that affect the flippers relation to the PF surface (overlays, hard tops, new pf, clearcoat etc) I just get rid of them and use these. the purist wont like it but it solves problems.
A3994-5 $5.10ea -See: http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.htm

Are the shafts longer than the classic stern ones Pinball Life sells or are they just missing the recess? I can’t tell by the picture.

#2129 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Okay so I'm finally back here to fix this meteor for my friend and I want to verify that my connections are right. Looks like I have blue and orange flipped but I'm a bit confused where the incoming black wire should go. Can someone confirm this for me before I start soldering? Does the incoming black wire go to the tab on the switch that would intermittently touch with the orange wires from the coil?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You might want a picture that shows the diodes to make sure they are going in the right direction. Here are some pics of mine before my playfield swap.

DD1D720D-AA5C-4FFA-A74F-A0AB6A209B3D (resized).jpegDD1D720D-AA5C-4FFA-A74F-A0AB6A209B3D (resized).jpegE13EC003-2DCA-447C-BE53-CB1ED13E5CFB (resized).jpegE13EC003-2DCA-447C-BE53-CB1ED13E5CFB (resized).jpegEF179EB8-3A46-4589-BE1C-76C16C9C3CDC (resized).jpegEF179EB8-3A46-4589-BE1C-76C16C9C3CDC (resized).jpegF1FAD455-58A7-4630-A068-EC118271BBA6 (resized).jpegF1FAD455-58A7-4630-A068-EC118271BBA6 (resized).jpeg
#2131 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Yup, all good to go now! I thought I had him all sorted out but the goofy wiring in here had me questioning myself. Thanks for the pics!
[quoted image]

Awesome! Can’t wait till mine is playable

3 weeks later
#2136 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Joined the club this week with a decent project Meteor - good bones, but needs a lot of help. Got it flipping a game within an hour of unloading it from the truck and now I'm starting to tear it down to go through everything.
I started a resto thread here if anyone wants to follow: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1979-stern-meteor-project[quoted image]

Not bad. Cabinet and playfield look nice from a distance. It’s a fun game to restore. I finished mine not too long ago and it’s going to be a permanent fixture in my game room. You’ll enjoy it.

6AEA9A7A-7991-4F53-B38C-55F769C07A46 (resized).jpeg6AEA9A7A-7991-4F53-B38C-55F769C07A46 (resized).jpegDEFA3721-5316-459C-BCA8-8804E3DED3CA (resized).jpegDEFA3721-5316-459C-BCA8-8804E3DED3CA (resized).jpegFFC1F080-2CF7-4B63-A4FB-8ADBEF7B4842 (resized).jpegFFC1F080-2CF7-4B63-A4FB-8ADBEF7B4842 (resized).jpeg
#2137 2 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Finally finished my meteor restore/playfield swap. It went from a wretch to a pretty nice example. Also did the 7 digit conversion.
[quoted image]

I like the speckled powder coating and the red plunger and beehive look great. Nice job

#2146 2 years ago

I just put the 1 ohm 5 watt resistor on the upper flipper of my meteor. Makes a big difference especially with the CPR playfield that plays so much faster already.

1 week later
#2165 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Thank you. I found it there.
Next question. Have any of you guys tried to touch up the spots around the inserts?
[quoted image]

They are pretty easy to touch up with an acrylic paint pen, but then you need to clear coat the playfield.

If the playfield has been waxed, it tends to collect in those grooves around the inserts where the paint chipped out, so you need to clean the crap out of your playfield first to avoid the clear fish-eyeing from the residual wax.

From what I can see, your playfield looks pretty good. I would just give it a good cleaning and keep it waxed. Under home use, it isn't going to get much worse than it already is.

2 weeks later
#2197 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Question for the group - I'm doing a playfield swap onto an early run Gold CPR. In the posts behind the METEOR drop target bank, there is a dimple missing for the 8th post. For anyone who's done an early CPR....did you go ahead and add that missing post or just leave it out? Will balls get stuck behind there without it?[quoted image]

Some had the extra post, others didn't according to when I talked to CPR. Really only helped to save the 44 bulbs from breaking. If you are using LEDs, it's not really a concern. I left it off of mine, and haven't had any issues.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201/page/2#post-6314671

Quoted from Mathazar:

These early CPR Golds are just full of fun little issues. Got the missing score waterslides in for below the METEOR DT bank and I'm not going to worry about the wrong font being used for the "Advance & Score Rocket Value" text in front of the three 3-bank drop targets. Will also likely change to refurbed Chicklet targets instead of the repro's I bought (with the larger tops) to avoid the smaller hole issue for the 333 drop target bank. Now on to the next (last?) "manufacturing blemish"...
So there's an extra hole for second GI lamp socket above each out lane. For anyone who's done a Meteor CPR - did you just go ahead and populate/wire up the extra light or just use one of the two? If you just used one of them, which one did you use?[quoted image]

I added extra sockets and installed "bendies" to shine some extra light in the middle of the playfield. I also added sockets to the 2 extra holes in the upper arch. With LEDs I'm not worried about overloading the GI circuit. It definitly is much brighter than it was.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201/page/3#post-6347888

#2208 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'm retro-brighting mine. I got the set of hot-stamped targets, with the hoods on them, and while the font is correct, I do not like how they work.

I did that with mine for my Trident resto. I ran them through the ultrasonic cleaner first, then retrobrited them. Below is a comparison to the ones that were just ultrasonic cleaned, and the ones that were retrobrited.

IMG_2326 (resized).JPGIMG_2326 (resized).JPG
#2209 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I've tried retro-brightening some white (now yellowed) chime boxes for my Mata Hari and it didn't do much. Tried it multiple times using the manufacturers directions, trying natural sunlight first and then a dedicated UV light, not much improvement at all (and it was messy). If you're successful with whitening your targets, I'd be very keen to know what brand stuff you used and the process that worked. I'd be willing to try it again.....meanwhile, I try not to look at my yellowed chime boxes.

I used an off the shelf 3% Hydrogen peroxide solution. I filled a wide shallow clear plastic storage container holding my drop targets and flippers in one non-overlapping layer. I then filled the container with hydrogen peroxide so there was about 2" worth. I added in a heaping tablespoon of oxyclean. I left that in the sun for a day and let it work its magic.

#2214 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

May have to do with your solution. I ultrasonic cleaned some junk/broken Centaur drop targets as a test, using Comet Pinball's ultrasonic powder solution. The art was totally removed.

This is what I use. It's pretty gentle on plastics but works great on metal and wiring harnesses. That said, I accidentally tossed in a coin indicator and it removed all the silk screened ink/paint from that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012GQOBM8

Quoted from Mathazar:

This is what I attempted to use (photo), per recommendation from another pinsider, on my Mata Hari chime boxes. Since the chime boxes are so large, they actually didn't "soak" in this solution while in the sunlight. The recommendation I got was to generously paste this stuff on the chime boxes, seal them in large plastic baggies, and let them sit in direct sunlight for a couple of days. Didn't do much.
I'm wondering if that process faltered because the chime boxes weren't submerged in the solution during the sun phase. Since the drop targets are small/flat in comparison and can be totally submerged in a shallow bin, maybe I'll give this a try on my Meteor chicklets.[quoted image]

From what I have read, after a day in the sun, the reaction is done and the solution can be tossed. Letting it sit any longer is basically letting it sit in water.

For the larger stuff, the modification from what I have done is to use Xanthan gum to make it into a gel/paste you can brush it on so it has good contact. You need to be careful to wrap the larger stuff evenly or you get streaks. This would lead me to just buy more cheap bottles of peroxide (they are 99 cents for a 32 oz bottle around me) and submerge the larger parts as well.

#2219 2 years ago

Got a little play time on the Meteor while messing with my camera set up.

#2223 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

My project/players Meteor came with a Beehive playfield protector to help the game survive some play before a proper restoration could move forward. One of the few issues the protector introduces is a small lip near the drop target banks that frequently traps a slow moving ball above a dropped target. These can not be shaken loose.
[quoted image]
So today I printed some clip-in standoffs to help keep the drop targets at the same level or just slightly above the top of the playfield protector.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I had thought about some makeshift solutions like popsicle sticks or some beerseal, but these clip nicely into place at all four target banks, are easily installed, stay in place when working on the game, and are easily removed.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Problem solved. Hope this helps anyone else that uses a playfield protector.
[quoted image]

I like what you did. It’s a very elegant solution that seems easy to scale depending on the height adjustment you need.

Now I might need to get a 3D printer if I end up doing a hard top on a Pharaoh.

#2241 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

My meteor project is coming along. She’s not perfect but she’s looking nice and shiny. Still need to repaint the spinner and replace the drop targets. I also included a before and after coin door pic.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job touching up that coin door. Night and day difference!

2 weeks later
#2249 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Must've missed all the chatter about the new Meteor ruleset. Does that complete Arduino sold by Roygbev install ok on a barakandl PCB?
Thanks.
Nate

I know it works on the Alltek and the original. I don't think it works on a Weebly. The barakandl is a Weebly right?

1 week later
#2266 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I just replaced all my drops and the M target doesn't seem to want to stay up. I’ve heard that this is an issue for this game. Has anyone run into this issue?
[quoted image]

It usually has to do with those new targets with the larger top. Sometimes you have to adjust the placement of the drop target unit to get clearance so it doesn't drop right off the bat after resetting.

1 week later
#2275 2 years ago

My wife and I were playing a game of split flippers when I heard a buzzing and noticed the left sling locked on. Turned off the machine, the coil releases. I turned it back on and the coil immediately locks on again. Should I check the associated transistor in the morning, or is there a better place to start?

#2278 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The driver board transistor for that coil probably went bad. Do you have a DMM? If so, power off. unplug the three larger connectors from the driver board. set the DMM to diode test. red lead on ground. black lead touch the tab the transistor that does the locked on coil. Good test is about 0.400 to 0.600. If it reads 0.00 or below about 0.400 the transistor is probably bad. The manual or card in the backbox should tell you the transistor number, or you can just test each one. Use TIP102
If the transistor is bad, also check the coil diode, or just replace it. Sometimes the coil diode just physically breaks of from 40 years of vibration and that will blow out the transistor. To test the diode on the coil you need to lift one leg of the diode off the coil. The low resistance of the coil messes up the diode test when in circuit.

Quoted from A_Bord:

I keep a pile of transistors for the driver board. Doesn't happen often, but when I get a lockup I don't even bother testing the transistor, just pull it and replace, plus a diode replace as stated above.

Tested the diode and that was fine. Swapped in my spare solenoid board and it was back to working like a champ. Looks like Q2 is probably bad. I hate swapping out the transistors on the Alltek board. It's a PITA.

3BF301A0-C95B-4476-9F9D-5B0F01D61476 (resized).jpeg3BF301A0-C95B-4476-9F9D-5B0F01D61476 (resized).jpeg
#2280 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Clip both leads near the transistor case. Get some solder on your iron tip. Needle nose grip on the middle nub. Wet iron tip on the large tab. Once the tab solder melts you can pick it up by the nub. Then clean up the leftover leads stuck to the board. Original looks like 13n10l so use that or better 15n10l, 17n10l, 22n10l, irl540, 40n10l.
Might be under warranty?

I had some on hand. I had to swap one before from when I was putting the machine back together and wired a flipper coil backwards, so I bought a half a dozen of the surface mount and a half dozen of the through soldered transistors in the event I did anything else stupid. All back together and working again so I’m not going to bother with a warranty claim.

Thanks barakandl for the tip on testing the diode. I learn new stuff all the time.

#2288 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

In Bally/stern Games add a 1.25a sb fuse to the knocker and chime box.

Do you have a preferred method and location to fuse the knocker coil? Or is an inline fuse holder pretty much anywhere in that circuit good enough?

This seems like something I should do to both my Trident and Meteor at the same time.

1 week later
#2295 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Just got an email notification from CPR that Meteor playfields are back in stock for a limited short run:
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/meteor-playfield/

I wonder if they have fixed the issue with the slots for the drop targets being too small.

To get what I'm talking about, see: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201/page/2#post-6314641

#2298 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Bought a new replacement right flipper plate for my meteor.
Starting my first ever playfield
swap. Has anyone else used this plate from pinball life?.
If you have can u post a pic.
Sounds dumb but I can't see how to reassemble the right way.
[quoted image]

D2A8F272-CB4C-446C-AA9F-EA1968120EC5 (resized).jpegD2A8F272-CB4C-446C-AA9F-EA1968120EC5 (resized).jpeg

Please note that the plate is thicker than the original, so you will need a spacer or #8 brass washer so the flipper doesn’t drag on the playfield

#2307 2 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

In search of a couple of reasonably priced Meteor keyfobs...somebody's gotta have an extra couple of them around...each new set of plastics comes with four.
If I can't find two reasonably priced keyfobs...I'm looking for a Meteor project with a blown out playfield....so I have an excuse/need to order a set of plastics...
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
A couple of generic "Stern" keychains would work too.

I think you need to define what you think is "reasonable". I see them on ebay for anywhere from $17 to $25 each with $6 shipping. You could always make your own for less if you want to go that route.

ebay.com link: itm

#2309 2 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I think "reasonable" is just that.
It isn't my intent to argue about the piracy that is practiced regularly in the hobby based on "capitalizzim" or "it'z biznizz"...yet, you gotta pay what the man asks--or not.
It's also true that ebay has some steep embedded fees that cause folks to pad their prices in order to protect their $10 profit.
$25--perhaps plus shipping-- is a bad joke when you consider that every set of new plastics comes with FOUR keyfobs...so to do the math here--if a guy buys a new set of plastics and sells the fobs at that price, then his cost for the set is $40-50...which seems skewed to me. The plastics are the important part--they should be worth more than the keyfobs, right?

Just put a price to it. Are you willing to pay $10 plus shipping? $5, free shipping. Say what you want to pay, and see if anyone wants to sell it at that.

#2311 2 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I would think that $10-15 shipped might be reasonable

There you go.

#2314 2 years ago

Working from a post from killerrobots (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-wall-art-w-programmable-leds-a-guide#post-6551656) I started turning my old playfield into some cool wall art using an arduino and some ws2811 addressable lights.

IMG_2838 (resized).JPGIMG_2838 (resized).JPG
#2316 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

This is driving me crazy. I'm rebuilding my pop bumper
and the pics I took months ago suck . Where do these pieces go?
Haha thx.
[quoted image]

Those spacers go between the pop bumper base and the mounting plate listed as 4A-123-16 in the drawing

20048164-B861-481C-B779-5548BCC42DBD (resized).jpeg20048164-B861-481C-B779-5548BCC42DBD (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#2325 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Got my spinner adjusted the other day. Took a little while but really cooks now.
I've added decals to both sides since this video.

Looking good!

1 week later
#2347 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Got all the cabinet cards and labels in. Backbox door repaint is done and I'll start re-assembling that tonight with a newly cleaned wire harness. Hoping this week is the week I put the new playfield in, turn the power on (in stages...no need to blow up all the PCBs all at once!), and see what kind of troubleshooting I'm in for after everything is back together.[quoted image]

That feels very deja-vu.

I like the powder coated rails.

IMG_2115 (resized).JPGIMG_2115 (resized).JPG
#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Anyone know where i can find the correct legs for my Meteor? i'm not looking for authentic just the right height. Mine sits really high compared to the rest of my pins.
[quoted image]

28.5" long are the right height. These work and for $65 they are a good deal

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-gray-legs-set-of-4.html

#2355 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

So I fire up game to do some more tweaking. All my control lamps are flickering which they haven't done since I applied power a week ago.
I've had an alltek light board in since power up.
Anything anybody could point to for me to check.
Went out with wife for some margaritas for a bit.
Thx.

Do they flicker when you hit the flippers? I noticed that after my rebuild with LEDs. Seems to be normal

#2359 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Uh, oh. Playfield is in the cabinet now and I'm working through a punch list of items on my way to a flipping pin. Worked through the electrical, lamp, and switch issues so far and actually played my first test game tonight. Then noticed this.....WTF? Right flipper and the middle drain post are too close together and the ball won't drop through with the flipper in the down position. It's not like I can move that post or move the right flipper. What the heck do I do?
This is an early run of the CPR playfield with the missing DT scores (which I've added back in). I can take the rubber of the middle post and then there's enough clearance for the ball to drop through. Do I just try to find thinner rubber (for the post or flipper bat or both)? I suppose I could fill in the hole and drill a new one next to it to move it left, but I really, really don't want to do that.[quoted image][quoted image]

My center post on my meteor is off center when looking at the graphics, but is perfect for game play. They have some odd issues with the CPR playfields.

#2362 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I was so excited to get this playfield. I didn't plan to put in a new CPR for this project....was just going to get it running as a nice player, maybe re-stencil the cabinet, and then wait for Outside Edge to someday produce a hardtop. But I got the CPR for a steal - brand new, never used from a guy local to me so no shipping costs or sales tax. The price was so low (slightly more than I paid for new CPR plastics and cheaper than what I paid for a new CPR backglass). The guy I bought it from took a bath - he paid full price from CPR a couple years ago but never used it. I didn't care that the METEOR DT scores were missing - I had the waterslides in the correct font and put them on myself. The wrong fonts for the other DT banks text didn't bother me, either. The smaller cut out for the 333's DT bank didn't affect me because it worked ok with tombstone drop targets (which I had).
During topside assembly for the playfield swap, I noticed even before the flippers went on that the middle drain post seemed closer to the right than the left. It become more apparent after putting on the flipper bats and the rubbers, but I noticed on other Meteor machines that some playfields had that "slightly to the right" look so I pressed on. It wasn't until I actually put a ball in play that I saw that the ball doesn't even fit between the two. You've got to be kidding me.
I'm going to think about it some more, but I've got a feeling the only right move is going to be to fill in that hole with wood epoxy and carefully drill a new hole slightly to the left. It should be close enough that the base of the post, while in the new hole, will cover the old hole. If not, perhaps a very thin washer between the playfield surface and the post base will extend enough to cover the previous hole.
Arrrghh......I was so close to finishing this thing.

You might be able to use one of Cliffy 's carbon fiber washers to help hide the hole filled the wood epoxy. It might even look kinda cool on the black background.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/jjp_guns_n_roses.htm

CF-washer-compare (resized).jpgCF-washer-compare (resized).jpg

jjp-gnr-base-02 (resized).jpgjjp-gnr-base-02 (resized).jpg

#2366 2 years ago

I measured mine too with calipers as I did my install since it appeared that the graphics were off registration. The dimples where right on mine, and measured the same as my original playfield, but you can see it is off center from the graphics.

39264CAC-32C1-406D-AC15-DF4B02D61A42 (resized).jpeg39264CAC-32C1-406D-AC15-DF4B02D61A42 (resized).jpeg

#2373 2 years ago

Yikes, that center post thing is horrid. Such a disappointing reproduction.
If it were me, I'd probably move the flipper hole as it'll be hidden by the flipper.

I think calling it horrid is being a little dramatic. And moving the flipper will definitely change the geometry so won’t play as designed.

Mine plays great, and the post isn’t too far off from my original. Still one of the nicest meteors out there.

1 week later
#2385 2 years ago

Have any of you sold a fully restored Meteor? I need to make some room in my game room, and was thinking of posting 3 pins I have restored for sale, hoping to move 2 out and make room to bring in one new one.

While I was adding up everything from my Meteor restoration, I realize I'm into it for about $5500 (all new Alltek boards, CPR PF/BG/plastics, new rails and legs, sound system with arduino controller, etc).

If I listed it on pinside with a list of everything that went into it, do you think there would be any interest, or do you think it would just draw a ton of ridicule to price it to break even on a pin that can be had for around 1100-1500 in "players" condition.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I think it would be a pretty niche market to get north of $5K for a primo Meteor and ya, you'd likely have to endure a bunch of "you're crazy" comments. But I'm the same boat - I've got about $4200 in my restore with what I'm calling a "Meteor LE" with powder coated legs and armor, CPR playfield, backglass, and plastics, LEDs, new boardset, and on and on. And Arduino is on the way! Got notice it shipped yesterday, so over the Christmas holiday my Meteor LE should be complete. No intention of selling, but if/when I do I think I'd be pleased to get $3200 out of it.

I’ll probably end up keeping it. It was a fun project, and I probably have one of the nicest Meteors out there. I do see a bunch of similar quality quick silvers and star gazers listed at 6-7k, but people are crazy for those right now for some reason.

#2389 2 years ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

So who did the artwork for the reproduction? Have them send me the files and I will improve them and make a new and improved reproduction.

Huh?

#2392 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I think it would be a pretty niche market to get north of $5K for a primo Meteor and ya, you'd likely have to endure a bunch of "you're crazy" comments. But I'm the same boat - I've got about $4200 in my restore with what I'm calling a "Meteor LE" with powder coated legs and armor, CPR playfield, backglass, and plastics, LEDs, new boardset, and on and on. And Arduino is on the way! Got notice it shipped yesterday, so over the Christmas holiday my Meteor LE should be complete. No intention of selling, but if/when I do I think I'd be pleased to get $3200 out of it.

You’ll love it. It adds more depth to the game play, and if you get the wav trigger, having music and call outs is awesome. I have a switch y the coin box so I can start it for people to play with original code, then turn it off and toggle the switch to the new code and let them experience the difference.

#2397 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I bought these on recommendation from another Arduino user.
bigguybbr - indeed, I'll be mounting this switch inside the lower cab near the coin door running the cable back up to the Arduino![quoted image]

I actually use these ones so that I can toggle the jumper at the same time I toggle the cabinet speaker input, so there is no hum.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMH174C

IMG_1915 (resized).JPGIMG_1915 (resized).JPG
#2398 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I bought these on recommendation from another Arduino user.
bigguybbr - indeed, I'll be mounting this switch inside the lower cab near the coin door running the cable back up to the Arduino![quoted image]

Brief video of it in action from before I did my resto

#2399 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I have briefly looked into the new code but was thinking that you pulled the sound card ribbon cables and put in the anduino in its spot. I guess im not sure what the whole process is for the switch .

The sound cables get attached if you want to use the sb300. It acts as a pass through if the jumper isn’t there. The switch just saved you from having to open the back box to select the code. I took a picture from my Trident since that was easier to get to.

5EE491A6-7A94-41F4-A647-79C1D3523FD4 (resized).jpeg5EE491A6-7A94-41F4-A647-79C1D3523FD4 (resized).jpeg6C22DF4B-016B-4ABF-8C9F-241011F8758C (resized).jpeg6C22DF4B-016B-4ABF-8C9F-241011F8758C (resized).jpeg
#2401 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

Ok Im with ya know. If the switch isn't selected for the Arduino it doesn't boot up and the sb300 does. The new board fits in the same spot as the ribbon cables but still has pins to attach the ribbon cables.

by-jove-i-think-you-got-it (resized).jpgby-jove-i-think-you-got-it (resized).jpg
#2403 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

What is the pin-out that you have on your switch. I see that its a 12 post

I have 2 wires going to the J3 jumper on the Arduino PCB (RoyGBev makes these). Then I use 6 pins for toggling the input to the cabinet speaker. (I know it should be SB-300, but I made the graphic a while back and didn't feel like redoing it. I'm lazy)

fbdd9e4670ae7549ef0d2fbd804e08bafedaf0f4 (resized).pngfbdd9e4670ae7549ef0d2fbd804e08bafedaf0f4 (resized).png

#2406 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Before anyone goes too far down this path -- for my first board (REV 1, formerly sold by RoyGBev or others), there was a weird speaker noise because I didn't have a way of holding A4J5 pin 16 low, so the SB300 would chatter. On later revisions (I recommend all new machines be built out with REV 3 boards, if possible), I address the SB300 correctly and the chatter goes away.
Of course, depending on your op amps and caps on your SB300, you may get speaker hum.
Anyway, my point is, if you can live with the natural hum of your SB300, and you have a REV2 or greater board, you shouldn't need to use more than a single throw-single pole switch to control the Arduino. There's nothing wrong with the arrangement that bigguybbr has (it's the way I did my first SB300 machines), but if you have a REV3, you can get away with the switches that Mathazar mentioned.
The only downside of the REV3 is that you need an Arduino MEGA2560, which is a few dollars more ($12 versus the NANO at $4). But, on the plus side, it has 8x the space so if anyone wants to they can build out a much, much more complicated version of METEOR.

All good points. On my set up, since I share the use the cabinet speaker as a subwoofer off my amplifier when running from the wav trigger, if I leave it connected when getting output from the SB-300, it back feeds into the amp, and makes some really horrendous noises coming from the speakers. The toggle how I use it, prevents this from happening.

If you are using a seperate set of speakers, such as a sound bar, this isn't a concern.

#2408 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

It's ready for the public to enjoy.
[quoted image]

Looks awesome!

#2423 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

All good points. On my set up, since I share the use the cabinet speaker as a subwoofer off my amplifier when running from the wav trigger, if I leave it connected when getting output from the SB-300, it back feeds into the amp, and makes some really horrendous noises coming from the speakers. The toggle how I use it, prevents this from happening.
If you are using a seperate set of speakers, such as a sound bar, this isn't a concern.

I just made a quick vid of how I did this same thing with my Trident (an awesome game if you can get it)

2 months later
#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:So I am still battling the 6k light on rocket #3 being out. Looks like I have a grounding issue? All connectors on the lamp driver board are disconnected.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Those press fittings are always trouble. I would suggest replacing them with the twist socket boards

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1078-pinballreplacementparts/05119-stern-meteor-555-socketed-lamp-board-set

#2460 2 years ago

I haven’t seen how big those are in person. The inserts for the missiles are small and tight together. Not sure if there is enough clearance. Love yoppsicles though.

10 months later
#2660 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

You will use the larger holes below the battery. You may need to add a small jumper wire to connect the holes to make proper connection if there is any corrosion.[quoted image]

Exactly. It fits lower down on the board.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 169.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.