IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#819 6 years ago

Does anyone that installed a new fresh set of drop targets still happen to have the originals you pulled out? I just joined the club and noticed that two of the drop targets on my machine have the extra lip on the top. I'd like to find a good used M and E drops without the lip so that when I take the assembly out to service it I can replace those and have a matched set. At some point I may spring for a full set down the road but would be happy if I can at least get these two. I'd be glad to buy any good original spares without the lip that match these so I have some on hand in case any break. Please send me a PM if you have something that may help.

Robert

Meteor_targets (resized).jpgMeteor_targets (resized).jpg

#820 6 years ago

It looks like the previous person that "shopped" the game I bought may have messed up on the placement of the red playfield posts. I can see that there are two different heights and one thing that caught my eye is that the spinner sits on an angle. If anyone has a good picture of how the spinner is supposed to sit let me know.

Also it appears that a couple posts are cracked and some had been replaced with a different style/pattern on the post. I'd like to confirm what style should be on the game and try to get more of those so they all match.

Seems like a fun game so far and I look forward to cleaning this up.

#823 6 years ago

Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like the game should have all faceted posts. Most are like that on mine but some star posts are mixed in on one side. There is also one missing and a couple broken that I need to replace. Also the spinner is sitting on an angle because the installed one short and one tall. I guess they could not make up their mind on what was right so they used on of each.

I just want to make it right when I get a chance to clean and wax the playfield and install fresh rubber rings. Looks like I need to get one of the post screws too for the missing post.

#824 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone that installed a new fresh set of drop targets still happen to have the originals you pulled out? I just joined the club and noticed that two of the drop targets on my machine have the extra lip on the top. I'd like to find a good used M and E drops without the lip.

I just saw that these drop targets use stickers so if I can't find any with the M an E then just regular ones will work and I can order a sticker set. Does anyone have extra plain ones they pulled out when putting in a new set?

#825 6 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that with LED's in the coin door that they can be seen if you look between the lock bar and playfield?

I had some extra white LED's that I just put on the coin door. They look great from the outside but I've noticed that you can see them if you lean over the playfield a bit and look down by the lock bar. It was bugging me a bit so I wanted to make a shield to keep the light going where it should. Modeled up the first version last night to try. Have a few adjustments to make and then print it in black to help block the light more. As it is this first attempt seems to help a great deal. Will see how the next version works.

Does anyone have spare coin door parts? I need one of the screws that holds the chute to the door as well as one of the coin switches and bracket that holds that switch with the screws. With that I could have all three coin mechs working.

Robert

Meteor_CD_missing (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_missing (resized).jpg

Meteor_CD_missing2 (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_missing2 (resized).jpg

Meteor_CD_fix (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix (resized).jpg

Meteor_CD_fix2 (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix2 (resized).jpg

#839 6 years ago

I tried out the 2nd version of the light shield for the coin door lamps. Made these out of black ABS for use with LEDs. Made a huge difference. I no longer get the light shining up behind the lockdown bar. I may make a couple more adjustments since I want to make them 1mm taller and bring the sides shown on the left and top out a few mm to ensure they cover the hole. I wouldn't recommend use these with regular bulbs since there would be too much heat there.

Robert

Meteor_CD_fix3 (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix3 (resized).jpg

Meteor_CD_fix4 (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix4 (resized).jpg

#840 5 years ago

The final version of the lamp cover for the Meteor coin door fits perfect! The lamp socket it holds it in place. I made it 1mm taller and bumped out the one side and top another 3mm to ensure it covers the coin door hole. One picture shows one new one with the previous version and then a couple that show all the new ones installed.

Now I just need to get a couple of those short screws like the ones used to secure the lamp sockets and that extra middle switch assembly/bracket. Then I can install the coin mechs again.

Meteor_CD_fix4a (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix4a (resized).jpg

Meteor_CD_fix5 (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix5 (resized).jpg

Meteor_CD_fix6 (resized).jpgMeteor_CD_fix6 (resized).jpg

#841 5 years ago

My nephew came over while I was working on the game and I think he is now hooked on this machine! This is a great example of a game that you don't have to have a lot of extras to make it a fun game. Eventually I will get this setup next to my Blackout.

#842 5 years ago

So, I have been working on my coin door. It had one broken .25 mech installed. I just put in a pair of .25 metal mechs and one SBA mech on the door. Also found that two slots were covered in duct tape to keep people from using those slots. Took a while to get that and all the old dried up adhesive off.

After all these years it is hard to tell what parts may have been mixed up. The game currently has the SBA mech on the right and the .25 on the left and in the center. Is that how these were normally configured? I have a blackout and it has the SBA in the middle and the .25 mechs on the right and left. I wasn't sure if the Stern should be like that or the way it is now. If your machine came with two .25 and one SBA mechs how are they positioned?

Still need to find the mounting bracket and switch for below the middle mech. It looks like all three switches are the same. If anyone has an old coin door being parted out I could use those parts and a few screws. Maybe even one of the white .25 entry slot plastic pieces.

#843 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone that installed a new fresh set of drop targets still happen to have the originals you pulled out? I just joined the club and noticed that two of the drop targets on my machine have the extra lip on the top. I'd like to find a good used M and E drops without the lip so that when I take the assembly out to service it I can replace those and have a matched set. I'd be glad to buy any good original spares without the lip that match these so I have some on hand in case any break. Please send me a PM if you have something that may help.

It looks like I need to add an O to the list. If you have any spare METEOR chiclet style drops let me now.

#846 5 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that contacts on some games could have been installed backwards. Maybe that is the case on your game. Are they all like that or just some of them?

1 week later
#855 5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I also have a Blackout and it has the SBA mech in the center. I wasn't sure if Stern was setup differently. I'll move that slot for the SBA to the center like my other game. Still need to find a bracket and switch for that center mech but can add that later when I find it.

#858 5 years ago

Can someone confirm what power cord came on these when new? Is it a flat one or a round cord? The one on mine is a yellow cord that I think started life as an extension cord. I'd like to replace it with the correct one.

#859 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I would love to help u with those parts but all mine are in storage until our house is finished. Just so you know Stern vid games w the black doors have the same inards and a ton of them on epay right now. The only difference is the absence of the white credit button.

If you ever do get to them I'd be glad to send you a set of the light shields I made for installing LEDs in the coin door.

1 month later
#864 5 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Does anyone have pics of the 6 bank target removed from the machine showing all wire connections?

I just pulled mine out last night to rebuild it and install new targets since the O just broke off. I can take some pictures of it. Do you need pictures of the wires on the switches or solenoids?

#865 5 years ago

Maybe these pictures will help.

IMG_1037 (resized).JPGIMG_1037 (resized).JPGIMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1038 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPGIMG_1041 (resized).JPGIMG_1041 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#887 5 years ago
Quoted from sideshowbob:

Just joined the club and my Meteor needs a LOT of work. I've been able to track down most of the parts I may eventually need except for a replacement coin door. Somebody went at this thing with a crowbar/hammer. Any ideas where I could find a replacement or what other machines would have a compatible size/setup. Not too concerned about having 3 coin slots since it will be HUO on Free Play. Thanks.

If you find a replacement coin door I could use a couple parts off your trashed one if they are still good. Need an extra coin switch with bracket and a couple if the screws.

1 month later
#930 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That's the coin lockout, so that coins put in when the game is off will be rejected. I always just remove them since my games are on free play

You remove them or just disconnect them? Wouldn't it be better to just leave it in place (but disconnect) so it can easily be converted back to the quarter sucking machine it was meant to be?

#938 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Where's a good source for buying pins and connectors? I know someone mentioned where to buy with a link, etc but damn if I can find it now.
Thanks.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp

1 week later
#940 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have good pictures of the neck attached to the meteor cabinet? The head on mine seemed like it was tilted forward and I think it was replaced. Mine is a rectangle the same height on all for sides. If I'm not mistaken it should be taller in the front and the sides angled. I'd like to confirm that and the correct measurements.

Does anyone reproduce that neck section for the old Stern games? If not I know someone who does wood working and could make one with the proper measurements.

#943 5 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

The base for the head does taper. Here's a few pics, remember the front piece needs a gap to keep the glass edge protected.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the pictures. It confirmed what I thought. Someone replaced the neck on my machine and it isn't tapered correctly. It explains why the head was leaning forward.

I had to take the machine down to store it temporarily and noticed it. When I pull it back out to setup again I'll have to see about replacing it.

3 weeks later
#971 5 years ago

Can someone with an original power cord take a picture on how it is routed in the cabinet? Also, is it supposed to be a round cord or one of the flat ribbed cords? The one on my machine isn't right and I would like to get a proper replacement.

Thank You!

#973 5 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

The cord is a flat ribbed on. It hangs loose in the cab and ties into the line filter.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you! Now I know what cord to pickup and how it should be fastened in the cabinet.

3 months later
#1082 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Can anyone upload a better scan of the lamp schematics table? The one on IPDB isn't readable... I've got a weird issue with all my wow lights flickering

Are you running LEDs on the original boards?

#1084 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

No Leds. It's just the four wows. Trying to figure out if there's something in common.
The weirdest bit is that they all flicker even with J3 unplugged, which supposedly is what one of them is powered by, if I'm reading it right. But that shouldn't be possible. So either the scan is bad or I've got a short somehow?

Definitely check over all the wiring. It is easy fro things to move around and you may have something shorting against one of the wires. Or one broken off and touching.

2 weeks later
#1103 5 years ago

Another option is to use a few of the comet flame/fire LEDs for the rocket exhaust. It is a nice effect.

1 week later
#1113 5 years ago

Looks like a nice machine! Meteor is a fun game. If the lights in the coin door shine up between the lockdown bar and playfield I have a fix for that. There is a post earlier in this thread that shows the new covers.

1 month later
#1144 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I joined the club today! Yay!!
I am having a problem, however. The lights come on and it is making a two toned sound over and over and not ejecting the ball. It keeps flashing "shoot again" on the backglass. Any ideas?

Can you pull the backglass and get a picture of the boards inside? It will help to know if you're running the original boards or have aftermarket replacements in there.

If you have the original boards is the battery still on the MPU board and did it leak? Battery damage is common.

You should also see a diagnostic LED on the MPU. When you turn the game on watch it and count the flashes.

#1155 4 years ago

If you have a Meteor with the original power cord could you get some clear pictures on how it is secured in the lower cabinet and attached to the filter box? Someone had done sort of a hack job and spliced in part of a yellow extension cord for power. I have the correct original replacement cord and would like to install that the way it was from the factory. Securing it in the proper locations with enough slack before it get soldered to the filter box. I didn't see any good photos that show the way it should be done. It may help others having good reference photos in this thread.

Thank You.

PW_1 (resized).jpgPW_1 (resized).jpgPW_2 (resized).jpgPW_2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1160 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Does this help?[quoted image]

Yes! I was able to get the new power cord installed and secured just like it would have been originally. Thank you.

#1162 4 years ago

That is a great point you bring up.

I have gotten into the habit of checking the voltage difference between all my machines. Just put the meter in AC and check across lockbars on each machine. Found one with a bad ground and nearly 60vac between the two games. Replaced the plug on the bad cord and back to 0 difference.

My Meteor was properly grounded. It just had a yellow extension cord as the power cord. Now it has the correct long flat cord secured just like it should be.

#1174 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Has anyone used the Stern MPU-200 NVRAM Adaptor from https://nvram.weebly.com/ (bottom of the page) successfully in their Meteor? It replaces the U8 and U13 chips. I was thinking of putting one in mine so I don't have to mess with a remote battery holder.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have one in my Flight 2000 and it works great! No more battery.

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Meteor has compatibility issues with NVRAM chips. I used the Pinitech adaptor in all of my other games, but for Meteor I used the TNT Battery Eliminator: https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/franks-famous-battery-board/

Any other details on that? Is it something specific in the ROM code or maybe just a bad NVRAM module? My Flight 2000 has the same MPU-200 and it hasn't had any issues. The first time I powered up I had to clear settings and set all the adjustments, etc but nothing since.

1 week later
#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hello,to everyone,new owner here,was needing the decals on the drop targets>The ones that spell " meteor" does anyone know who sells these??Thanks,great pin!!

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DT1477

2 weeks later
#1218 4 years ago

I woul take out the whole assembly and test it on the bench. Maybe the gap on the switches is just a little too much.

2 months later
#1255 4 years ago

I was able to work on and test the whole assembly on the bench. Just used a variable bench supply to work the coils.

7 months later
#1515 4 years ago

It is important to check the switch with a ball to see if it registers with that. You could also try reseating the connector for the switch matrix at the MPU. I’ve had to rep in some of those due to weak and brittle pins.

#1525 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Perhaps it's time to re-cap that sound board. Easy job if you have basic soldering skills and a de-soldering tool as well.

May want to check the speaker too. I had to replace the one on my game. Helped a lot!

#1533 4 years ago

I have an Alltek in my Meteor and it runs and sounds fine. I think it is one of the later Alltek boards since it doesn’t have batteries. It was in the machine when I bought it.

I’ve since been able to get a hold of the correct MPU-200 and am going to get that back in the game. I’ll be able to use the updated code with that. Not an option for the Alltek. Just going to reserve that Alltek for testing.

#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I found a few 4 ohm speakers that might be fine. I’ll try one in tonight.

Certainly someone would report this with alltek, if not I will if the speaker or amplifier isn’t bad

Mine had an 8 ohm speaker. I've seen both 4 and 8 ohm speakers in games so I would double check. This is the one I installed and it sounds great.

20200329_194518 (resized).jpg20200329_194518 (resized).jpg
#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from Y3AG3R:

Were you able to install LEDs without issue? I have the LED boards and some on the controlled lights still don't work. I also have some bad SCRs I believe so just replacing would save me time. Wondering about the LEDs though...

I've installed these with the original Lamp driver boards on both Meteor and Flight 2000 and they look great!

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/1flux-bulbs

Color matched the inserts for the controlled lights. Made a big difference on Meteor.

I also used a few of these in the backbox GI behind the rocket exhaust:

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/fire-bulbs

It is a very nice effect!

Backbox on Meteor still has lamps but I moved to frosted white (not Super Bright) on the Flight 2000 backglass and will probably do the same on Meteor. I don't try to color match backbox GI since that usually turns out bad.

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

You likely replaced a working amp. The spinner sound cutting out is a known rom issue. There is a fixed rom that Stern released. You may have damaged a trace. Recheck your work and see if the traces go where they should. Maybe put the old amp back in.

Where did the new amp come from? Was it from ebay? There are fake parts out there and many just don't work.

Were those caps part of a cap kit? That board usually had axial capacitors. I've seen boards that had radials installed instead and I usually pull all those out and put axials back in.

#1548 4 years ago

If you can get the proper axial caps (there are several places that carry them) I would swap them out. With all the vibrations, etc of the machine it isn't good to have the large body of the cap just hanging free by the leads. If the board was meant for radial leads and the spacing matches then the are usually tight against the board and it isn't an issue.

You can try Great Plains Electronics, Big Daddy, Digikey, or Mouser and they all should have the right caps. First two may have cap kits.

#1550 4 years ago

Can you you post a picture on your Alltek MPU and a close up that shows what ROM version is in it? I have an Alltek in mine and it works ok. Plan on pulling it out and switching back to an MPU-200

Maybe you have an older ROM on your Alltek that just needs an upgrade.

#1552 4 years ago

I’ll see if I can get a picture of mine to compare tomorrow.

#1560 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I have a line on a project Meteor...the guy says it'll probably need new boards...
What is the story with Classic Stern boards? (my pins have been early Williams and I've just sent them to Eugene for bulletproofing)
I know that there is a light board that is needed to keep LEDs from strobing or ghosting.
I would assume that the power supply would be easy to recap.
What the are ups and downs of the various other boards out there?
(Also NVRAM...I've had Eugene put NVRAM on my boards...I assume it (or something else comparable is available).
Also, I'm aware of "new ROMs" for some "good, old GOOD pins, like, say Firepower. Are there new and improved ROMs for Meteor?

If the MPU doesn't have much ACID damage then I would rebuild it. There was a weird issue with the original Meteor code that didn't play nice with NVRAM but I believe the updated code slochar has done fixes that. You can run it on the original board or the Weebly. If you get an Alltek MPU your stuck with the original code.

I really like the original Bally/Stern driver boards and have rebuilt a bunch. There are some updates to add a few jumpers on the back of the board but they are solid once gone through. I often have to replace the .100" headers as well as the main 5V cap.

If you are going to replace any boards then it will probably be the rectifier board as previously mentioned. Those tend to be fried and there are several good replacement boards out there.

Attached is a picture of an MPU-200 that I recently repaired. It was damaged by prior repair work. Someone had pulled up a trace and severed a couple others. The final repair is shown too. It also had a bad 5101 and 6821 chip. Have a few others in the queue but those had battery damage and more traces to rebuild.

20200323_181831 (resized).jpg20200323_181831 (resized).jpg20200323_205404 (resized).jpg20200323_205404 (resized).jpg
#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Thanks very much guys. I hope to be joining the club after this quarantine.

If you like drop targets you'll enjoy it. The game really grows on you. It's a keeper machine for me! If you have any issues with the boards I can help. I've rebuilt and updated a bunch and can verify them in the machine. I also have some shields for the coin door that fixes the issues with the LED's shinning up between the lockdown bar and playfield.

2 months later
#1597 3 years ago

You can totally tell it is a used playfield. Wear around the inserts and you can see the circles where all the posts were installed.

#1600 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

It's been in my Dad's garage for at least 10 years, and before that it was in a barn for who knows how long. I didn't think people were putting on their own clear coats 20 years ago. Just kinda confusing, because even now it's not a very valuable game to go to the trouble to strip the playfield, clear coat it, and put it back together. I mean it's a good game and it's getting appreciated more these days, but at the time this CC was done to it, it musta been a $500 game.

Maybe that it why they didn't go the extra step to touch up the artwork, etc. The circles for the posts should be hidden when the posts are re-installed. If you are going to all that work to clear coat I don't know why someone would skip those other steps.

2 weeks later
#1617 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I heard that the black ones disintegrate sooner as well.
I prefer the feel of traditional rubbers to the various "new-fangled" and wildly bouncy ones like Titan.
Having said all of that, red would look pretty cool, I think.
I'm kinda torn...there's a damaged "green" glass at CPR (has what looks like a 1/4 x 1 inch gash in the black above the credit window)...save $60 and touch up paint it myself? It would still be better than any glass I have now...undecided...

I typically use the white on all the games but went with Yellow (with blue on the slings) on Dr who and it looks awesome. When I refresh my Meteor I am leaning towards trying out colors. I think orange may look good (at least on the slings) and other colors that complement the playfield art.

#1633 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

What is the preferred battery solution for an original board...pros, cons...give it all to me.
I'd like to avoid AA batteries, even off board.
I'd like to avoid the NVRAM/ROM conflict.
What is the preferred fix?

While I think NVRAM is the best for running the alternate updated version of the code I think the question would be more toward what would be the best battery option to use so that any version (even original) will run on the board. For that I see a few options:

- Run NVRAM (limits use of original ROM's)
Great option for new code but if you want to start out with the original code or go back to original code then the NVRAM has to come out. (leave circuit as-is)

- Run the original style rechargeable battery. (not really an option and I wouldn't install one if asked...)
Just listed for completeness sake. Would leave the circuit as it.

- Use a remote AA battery pack with three AA Energizer lithium batteries. Plenty of capacity for long RAM retention.
Not a bad option but I would install a disconnect so the board could be easily removed if needed without a large battery pack dangling off. Board needs blocking diode added to prevent trying to charge the AA's.

The next two options are popular but the concern is that the MPU-200 has TWO 5101 RAM chips to twice the load. How much will that

- Use a large memory capacitor (easy to install, no other board changes needed)
A good option for some but I'm not a fan since I don't think it will hold settings and scores as long as I'd like and the extra drain with the 2nd RAM will decrease that further.

- Mount a coin cell holder for a CR2032 type battery.
I think this may be a good option since the batteries are easy to get, replace, and don't tend to leak. Have used them many times for people but just wondering on the current draw and life with two of the 5101 RAM chips. This also needs the blocking diode installed to prevent charging the coin cell. I would lean toward this option but would like to hear if anyone else is using a CR2032 on the MPU-200 and how long it lasts. If you're talking at least 6 months to a year then this would be fine.

#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I used Frank's Lithium Battery Board CR-2032 cell holder from TNT Amusements: https://www.tntamusementsstore.com/wptnt/product/franks-famous-battery-board/
It's extremely reasonably priced. I actually consider it free, and I paid $13 for an autographed collector card with Todd's mug on it.
Was fine for well over a year until I upgraded to the new ROMs and 7-digit displays, and now I run nvram. My entire collection is now running battery free, and Meteor was the last one to be converted.

Thanks for the feedback! I have several extra coin cell battery holders and can mount one right to the board and add the blocking diode. Just was concerned about it powering the extra RAM chip but it sounds like it shouldn’t be an issue.

#1638 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I soldered in a new rechargeable Li-On battery. The OG battery was actually holding up fine, but obviously it was time. What's so bad about the rechargable route?

The newer Li-On may be a lot better than the Nicad but I just don’t trust any type of soldered battery. Just fixed too many boards because of battery damage. Personal preference on my part. As long as you inspect regularly you’re probably fine.

#1642 3 years ago

Found this on a Stern Lamp driver board that just came in for Meteor. the one in my game doesn't have any mods like this nor any other lamp driver board that I've ever worked on. Going to strip this off and put it back to the way it was supposed to be and replace any bad SCR's, etc.

Have any of you seen something like this on a lamp driver board?

20200714_124808 (resized).jpg20200714_124808 (resized).jpg20200714_124822 (resized).jpg20200714_124822 (resized).jpg
#1655 3 years ago

On my Meteor I installed three Comet Flame/Fire LEDs behind the rocket/missile flames for the backglass. Attached is a picture where they were installed. I think it has a nice effect.

meteor-fire (resized).jpgmeteor-fire (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#1658 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Does anyone have a link for a power supply rebuild kit? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

1 month later
#1713 3 years ago

I'd still opt for the solder version. If you do use these no solder versions be sure to go back and occasionally re-tighten the screws on those terminals. They can loosen up. Those are used on a lot of 3D printers an some have melted down because of poor connections there. I always check and re-tighten them when doing maintenance on them.

#1715 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Every time..

They're screwless connectors, not screw terminals. Another point of failure especially with the high constant current load on the lamp wires.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-another-bally-18-power-supply-yup

Thanks for the clarification. I would avoid that version then. If I had to use it I'd still solder as originally intended. I wouldn't trust those push connections.

#1733 3 years ago
Quoted from XPinPinball:

For those interested, these insert style terminals have a UL rating and to remove the wire once set, requires more than 5lbs of force to pull them out of the terminal.
I realize that there are others out there, I have used several over the years, all good. I decided to make my own because I like LED's under fuses to tell me if the fuse is good or bad......

Having LEDs under each fuse is an excellent feature and I’ve done that on many of my own projects. That is a huge plus and a bonus for easy troubleshooting.

The picture in the image posted wasn’t clear on the terminal connection and they looked like the screw terminal version. Screw terminals are well known to cause issues in 3D printers, etc. While the spring variation may be better then the screw version it still isn’t one I’d prefer to use.

Did you also have pads to allow soldering so this could be universal and use either termination style? If not, why? Having both would cover those who really aren’t a fan of adding another connection point to eventually fail.

While those spring terminals make this an excellent test board and I think I may like one for myself just for testing. Unless it had a solder version it wouldn’t be one that I’d permanently install.

1 month later
#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

I picked up a Meteor this weekend from shabazz18 and want to install colored LEDs. Anyone have a good guide to what color LEDs to put in the backbox? I'm thinking orange for the meteors, blue for the missiles and orange fading to white for the Meteor logo and white behind Stern.

Actually just frosted white LEDS look best. If you want to dress it up a bit I added a few of the fire/flame LEDs. Just one under each rocket tail. Only color LEDs were color matched under the inserts

2 weeks later
#1877 3 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

pinball_nate are those special flashing effect bulbs in your backbox?

I used a few of the Comet Fire/Flame LED's and put one under each rocket exhaust. Pretty cool effect.

2 months later
#1934 3 years ago

If there is a stencil set for the back of Meteor I'd be interested in one. Someone painted over the back and it's all black. Would be nice to restore that.

#1937 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I believe the company that makes the stencils, it has one for the back of the backbox.
Edit: Yup, see here: http://pinballpimpstencils.com/meteor/

They do and ordered a set do to the back of the head!

3 weeks later
#1958 3 years ago

How are you handling the sound? It mentions WAVtrigger but I didn't see any specific versions of that. It looks like there are a couple variations and would like to get the correct one to try.

Is that just installed parallel with the original sound board/speaker with a dedicated speaker for the WAV trigger? It seems that done like that you could easily switch between playing the completely original version and the new enhanced one easily.

Ordered all the parts (except the WAVtrigger) and can't wait to try this.

#1961 3 years ago

Will look for the notes on the new version. Should be able to update/modify the old carrier boards. Thank you for the update and explanation!

1 month later
#2024 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Didn't notice them until I read through that thread..and now it hurts even more.
Note: I didn't buy this from CPR, my friend did. So I never looked through any of the information (or even the listing on CPR) prior. Ultimately it's HIS game now, not mine. I'm hesitant to mention any of this to him because I worry he'll feel the same way if I do. Sometimes not knowing and living in bliss is better. But I'm trying to help him do things right by this machine as we go (IE clean up any hack job bullshit, replace gunky old switches, clean/coat/molex drop mechs, etc) and this kind of throws a wrench in things.
I reached out to Kruzman, and I posted in that thread..to see what kind of options I have to make things better. I was just going to have it recleared by a local guy I know and trust but with all of the other problems...I just don't know.

I thought someone in this thread made water slide decals to fix the missing numbers. If you're getting it cleared then you should be able to add them.

#2042 2 years ago

Have you tried to add credits? After changing the batteries I seem to recall I had to step through a lot of the setting and reset everything.

#2044 2 years ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Robotworkshop I thought maybe I needed to clear the ram or the audit data or something. But, I can't see any way to do that, not online or in the manual. Do note, when it was acting strange I first took the actual batteries out, when that didn't work I removed the whole battery holder now, still no luck .

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-mpu-200-how-to-clear-5101-ram

#2048 2 years ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

Robotworkshop now I guess I didn't search the right things, or RTFM properly
I will give this a try in the morning, thanks

It’s something we do so infrequently that most of need to go back and look at the book.

1 month later
#2082 2 years ago

You may be able to carefully round the upper outer corners on the two drops on the ends. That would provide the clearance you need. Practice on an old one to see if it will work and look good.

1 month later
#2177 2 years ago

Looks like my upper flipper is acting up. It has started sticking in the up position. Going to see if it is just the sleeve or of there are any burrs on the plunger. Has anyone had those parts get magnetized before? Going to dig into that this afternoon.

2 weeks later
#2233 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The shooter rod itself is isolated from the cab by the beehive on the Sterns. I can't think of a way to ground it. I would think since the inner plate is grounded, you should be fine.

I think instead of asking how to ground the rod it may be more appropriate to ask if it should be grounded. I don't think it has to be and haven't heard about anyone asking about it before. It's a good question though.

Does anyone actually have a grounded shooter rod on an early Stern like this? It's possible other games do if they have a metal mount and the springs/washers touch metal on metal

#2245 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

I have what I assume is an early-ish run of Meteor. It has 3 coin entries, a single menu switch, and the red screen layer. Interesting how a number of changes seem to have happened midway through Meteor's run.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you put in LEDS on the coin door I have custom light shields to prevent the coin door lamps from shining up between the lockdown bar and playfield.

3 weeks later
#2267 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I just replaced all my drops and the M target doesn't seem to want to stay up. I’ve heard that this is an issue for this game. Has anyone run into this issue?
[quoted image]

Once setup and dialed in the drops on mine have been working great. I spent some time on it and most can be done on the bench with a stand alone power source for testing. Sometimes the small tab on the reset coil needs to be slightly adjusted too.

1 week later
#2281 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Tested the diode and that was fine. Swapped in my spare solenoid board and it was back to working like a champ. Looks like Q2 is probably bad. I hate swapping out the transistors on the Alltek board. It's a PITA.[quoted image]

Surface mount parts like that and that large custom surface mount IC are reasons I would avoid that particular board. Original boards once serviced and have the jumper updates are solid. Or get boards with more traditional parts for easier service.

As far as heavier duty parts I would offer a word of caution. While it is true that other parts can handle more current instead of the part going bad it can end up vaporizing traces on the PCB. If there is some sort of short I'd prefer to replace a part than rebuild traces on the PCB. At times I'll use more robust parts but some where there is concern about board damage I'll re-install the original equivalent part.

#2283 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Using a weak transistor and expecting it to act like a fuse is not practical. Use the better rated part unless availability issues or you are building a lot of boards and part cost is a concern. A shorted coil and original Bally weenie transistor will vaporize a trace just like tip102. Once the transistor shorts C to E it can probably pass more current than its rating.
It's usually q3 that gets smoked. In Bally/stern Games add a 1.25a sb fuse to the knocker and chime box. Then you should never have burnt up coils or circuit boards. I think it was a pretty major oversight not having dc side fuse on those coils. The 5a rect fuse does not blow until the coil melts.

My first reply i was thinking you had an original board with bipolar transitors. Mosfet transistors on the replacement tests are kind of a different. The tab may read short to ground with the power off if the gate pin is charged. Even the multimeter lead touching the gate of mosfet can turn it on.

I expect the fuses to act as the fuse. But since the TIP is one of the next in line I'd much rather see that pop than melted and vaporized traces. I don't install "weal" transistors. I match what was originally installed. They have to at least match what was there. I think that is practical and a good approach. I have been seeing boards come in where people had installed TIP102 which held but melted traces. So I will use them as appropriate. That TIP102 is an excellent part but there can be a downside.

#2285 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Why would the lower rated transistor not burn the trace? That doesn't make sense to me.
Once the coil/transistor is shorted it really does not matter. Specially on the original Bally driver board with the thin traces.

If the trace can handle more current than the transistor on it then it wins. Weakest link becomes the fuse.

I'm not saying to install weaker transistors. Just at least what was there. But is you exceed the original capacity on some boards the traces seem to become the weakest link. I'm just going by what I've been seeing come across the bench. If a board originally came with 102's then that is what goes back in. If it originally had TIP122's then those go back in.

I seem to recall reading a thread where Vid noticed something similar and have seen it mentioned other places too. I'm sure many instances also have a larger fuse involved (since that should pop first) but in that scenario I would rather replace a TIP than rebuild traces.

#2287 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I am calling BS on that one. You cannot expect the transistor to fuse open, 5a or 20a transistor. The transistor with the more rugged ratings has more in the positives column than any expectation of fusing open in a fail mode.
All bets are off when the transistor fails / coil shorts. Thinking a TIP122 is going to fail open and not vaporize traces once the lack of free wheeling diode blows C to E short is an unlikely expectation.
Fuse the unfused coils, use most rugged transistor possible. Doing that, no coils should ever burn and less likely to get a failed transistor under normal conditions. Fuses save the driver board from burnouts and melted coils.
Picture to scare you all into fusing the knocker coil (and chime). Knocker gets overlooked hiding in the cabinet and then this can happen.
[quoted image]
A whole another argument could be.... Would you rather this happens or a trace open. I can patch an open trace. I have not got this one back yet, but I am guessing there is hole burnt into the board under that mosfet.

I guess my experience has been different so far. I’m still going to put in parts that were originally specified whenever possible for a board unless it was known to be under rated (like the 100k resistors on Bally displays)

One thing we can probably agree on is that a lot of these issues are ultimately caused by someone overfusing a game somewhere else….

3 weeks later
#2312 2 years ago

Unfortunately it is hard to mail anything for $3 these days. Postage alone is usually more than that and the people have to get a padded mailer unless they reuse an old one. Often it ends up priority mail and you’re at around $9 to ship so best to pack flat rate shipping materials as full as possible. Unless it is small enough to slide through as a letter shipping can be more than the item.

There doesn’t seem to be a good way to inexpensively ship items.

It is frustrating to see I can get .99 items with free shipping sent to me from China and it would cost many times more than that just to take the unopened package to mail to my next door neighbor.

4 weeks later
#2339 2 years ago

Can you look in then end of the connectors that plug onto the MPU for the displays. I’ve seen some pins that were weak and others that had brittle contacts that were broken. May just need to rep in those.

2 weeks later
#2384 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

RGarriott - I can attest to some control lamps still flickering on Meteor even with an Alltek lamp board and an Alltek MPU (and even more control lamps flickering with an Alltek lamp board and the original MPU). As Lovef2k pointed out, I had to add 470 ohm resistors to the few (3) flickering control lamps to get them all working despite the fact that I was reading 470 ohms between J13 (power) on the Alltek lamp board and to every control lamp pin on the Alltek lamp board. That essentially means that the Alltek board is doing what it's supposed to do (add a 470 ohm load to lamps in support of LEDs) but there's something different on these early Sterns vs. Bally SS pins. On Bally's, I've had ZERO flicker issues (in three previous restores) in what is essentially the same board set design.
Adding the 470 ohm resistors at the lamps did not help the Alltek Lamp board + OEM MPU flickering issues (about 12 lamps). My next attempt at resolving that, when I get time, is to swap out the U14 Hex Inverter on the MPU. Stern used 4572's for that IC whereas Bally used 4049's.

I put in color matched Comet Optix LEDS in my Meteor with the original lamp board and no flicker. They look awesome in the game. Expensive but worth it. Also used frosted (not super bright) LEDs in the back box and three fire LEDs under the missile rockets. Highly recommended. Worked well with original code and the new Meteor 2021 code. Just a fantastic game. Have it right next to a Firepower which is another example of a game that doesn’t need to be overly complex to be fun.

3 weeks later
#2426 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Personally, I hate the red posts on Meteor, I put blue on and it looks so much better!!

Good to know. I have to replace all of the ones on mine and bought blue ones since I thought they would look good on the game.

2 months later
#2479 2 years ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Question about fixing some controlled lights that are out. This is my first go at doing so on any game. Just want to make sure my next step is the right one before I order the tools and parts.
If I was able to get the bad lamps lit by running conductive tape from the bottom of a working socket to the socket that is out, then this should mean my socket is good and the issue as at the pin connector on the board. Correct?
I can’t just leave it with the conductive tape because then if the working controlled light (ex: light 1 in the first rocket column) gets lit, then the bad light that is jumped (light 1 in second column) will also get lit. If these were GI lights then this conductive tape would be a nice quick fix.
If I do need to repin, can anyone confirm the molex connector and pin sizes I need? I’m sure I can search but if someone knows already I’d appreciate it. Thanks in advanced!

Standard .100" molex crimp pins on the boards. The larger pins on the driver and rectifier are .156"

#2492 2 years ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Disregard. Did some searching on this thread and learned that flickering LEDs is common on this machine, even if using an Alltek board or anti-flicker kit. Someone did say they used Comet Optix LEDS and have no flicker issue. Wish I found that before I previously bought the Meteor LED kit from Comet! At least happy to know I can stop chasing wiring/connection ghosts.

I am using the Comit OPTIX LED's color matched to all the inserts and think they look great. I have the original Lamp driver and I don't see any flicker. I'd also recommend a few of their fire/flame LED's to put in the GI in the back glass under the rocket tails. I used frosted white for the rest of the backglass GI. No color bombing.

#2494 2 years ago

I have no idea how they look side by side. They are bright but not too bright. I ended up doing all the inserts. Just start with small groups of the same color to see how you light them.

3 months later
#2536 1 year ago

Did you re-pin the .100" connectors going to the MPU? If not check the pins in the housing for the switch matrix. Some of the pins can be brittle and I had several break on a Stern Flight 2000 causing weird switch issues.

#2544 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Hey guys, I just joined the Meteor club. Picked up a project game with replacement boards, playfield, and backglass. Eager to add the 2021 code!
The one problem I'm having is ALL GI are out, both playfield and backbox. This is my first classic Stern, so I'm not really sure where to go from here.
I believe all the GI runs through the little rectifier board by the coinbox, but not sure how to go about troubleshooting from there.

Start start with that rectifier board and the connectors going to it. Have any of the connector housings turned brown?

4 months later
#2611 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Thanks, I will take a look.

Manually, so maybe something is happening "at speed" that I can't see.

In order to get mine right I did it on the bench and used my bench power supply. Many will work by hand but not always when powered.

1 month later
#2635 1 year ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I recently picked up a meteor and would like to convert it to 7 digit scoring. I’m pretty confused on which the correct roms are that I need and also which ones on my board will need to be replaced.
Tia!
[quoted image]

Unless that Alltek MPU has the ROM code for 7 digit you will probably need to go with another MPU.

Another option is to get the Meteor 2021 upgrade which will plug into that Alltek board.

#2641 1 year ago

Before you buy a replacement MPU you may want to look at the YouTube Video for Meteor 2021. It is done by plugging in a small daughter board and adding a WAVtrigger for enhanced sound. I seem to recall it can support 6 and 7 digit displays.

#2643 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

It does, but you still have to add the wire, and wouldn't help if he wants to play the original code with 7 digit updates. (That might be an interesting project.... recreate the original rulesets in the arduino coding... if nothing else to see how much shorter the source would be in the higher level code.....)
Instructions on adding the wire:
add 7-digit displays for player 1 - 4, add version nummber, recalculate checksum
Installation notes:
1) replace the four player 6-digit displays with 7-digit displays (we test it with orignal bally displays..)
2) Add an additional wire fom A4 (mpu) J1 Pin 7 to every player display pin 12 (for bally displays, don't connect the credit display !).
If you use 7-digit stern displays connect J1 pin 7 to every player display pin 11.
3) burn the files on 2716 eproms
After power on you will see the version number in the player two display
This is for the Oliver Kaegi version from:
https://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html
I do not believe that weebly includes this particular verison in his mpu; he likely uses this version:
http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/meteor66-76.zip
which has some more bugfixes (notable the 256x bonus countdown bug) and other things like a spinner counter and a drop sweep award.... I think I made that dip settable (and free play of course). Same wire for the 7 digit.

Definitely will still need the extra wire but the code was setup for both and if I'm not mistaken could display 7 digit scores on 6 digit displays. Which can keep the old displays. Just mentioning options to explore before buying boards.

2 weeks later
#2665 1 year ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Just added the Meteor 2021 code kit to my machine yesterday. Such an easy install and HOLY HELL what a cool upgrade to an already awesome game. Kudos to the creator and RoyGBev for his awesome board kit.
Does anybody have a recommendation for a part that would allow me to control the internal code selection jumper from the outside of the game? A remote controlled jumper if you will.

I just used a mini/micro toggle switch and installed it in the mesh screen under the left side of the head. Just ran the wires to ah connector that plugs in the upgrade board. I'll have to see if I can get pictures.

2 months later
#2690 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

You'll need an Arduino, and Weebly board.
May need a couple smaller things to go along with it, but as far as the MPU is concerned - that's it.

Yes, because AFAIK, the Weebly board's J5 doesn't have all traces running to it. ( barakandl may correct me, I'm running on old data here..) So, yeah, unsolder the harness and then plug it in.

You would still need the WAVtrigger for the new sound pack.

If the Arduino you bought is soldered to the J5 adapter board then you are better off buying another plain Arduino board to put on the Weebly board instead of unsoldering it.

#2692 1 year ago
Quoted from pintuck:

Thanks for your answers! I was thinking the same because I have the original Stern MPU, I would put the Meteor 2021 J5+Arduino on it, and get another Arduino only for the Weebly board and keep the single Wav trigger board in there.
Is it easy to upload the code on a blank Arduino? Haven't looked into it yet and figure its pretty easy figure out.
I pulled a copy of the 2021 code in readiness. I figure I can upload the code with it in the game as the game powers the Arduino.

It isn’t hard to install the code onto the Arduino. Getting things setup to do it the first time involve a few steps on the computer. You need to download and install the Arduino tools on your computer. Then download the BSOS base code and the Meteor 2021 game specific code. In the Arduino tool select the version of the Arduino you have. If using the Nano there are a couple different variations so if one hangs sending the code to it pick the other version with different boot loader. You can program the Arduino with a USB directly without it being in the pinball machine.

Additional things you need to check and may need to alter. In the code itself that you download there are some configuration settings you may need to change. One is for the revision of the adapter on how it plugs in which is 1, 2, 3, or 4. No idea what version the Weebly board supports. The other setting has to do with the WAVtrigger and the version of firmware on that

3 months later
#2740 9 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Thanks. The backglass isn't bad. A previous owner touched it up in several places, there is some minor flaking in several areas. It looks decent though....half the bulbs are burnt out so that may be why lol.

I’ve been using the Comet Optix LEDs in mine with the original boards. Color matched the inserts.

3 months later
#2803 5 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Going to fix up a dead meteor for a friend. When game power on I get GI. only. The board in cab with fuses has burned connectors. Start there? Should I replace that board. Or focus on connectors.
Thx
Mike

Sounds like the bridge board in the cabinet. Definitely start there and verify you have all the proper voltages. Then troubleshoot from there. You’ll find some great information in the early Bally/Stern section of pinwiki.com

#2813 5 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

If you’re wanting to avoid as much soldering as possible, you might look at the XPin solderless solution to the rectifier board replacement https://xpinpinball.net/product/xp-bly2518-ebr/

I would not recommend any solderless board for the rectifier board. Also avoid the home pin version since they use slightly smaller import size fuses. Regular fuses won’t fit.

#2821 5 months ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I am restoring my Meteor and my shooter rod has some wear on the chrome. I was looking to replace it but for some reason I can't seem to find an exact replacement. I am sure it is out there somewhere but does anyone know where to find these?
[quoted image]

I just clamped mine in the drill press. Used fine sandpaper, the scotch bright pads, then novis to polish the handle. Used novis to polish the rod. Not perfect but a lot better. The handle looks like chrome now. Do that part on all my shooter rods.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 169.00
$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.