IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball_Nate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#432 7 years ago

Gryphun:

Wow! Great job on that Meteor!!!

You will definitely find a buyer - beautiful.

1 month later
#463 7 years ago

Hunting for a Meteor, prefer decent playfield with all parts - light project ok. Don't want to get into board work.

3 months later
#590 7 years ago

I really want "MiamiRedSkins'" Meteor!!! Now that I can buy a board for $150. Anyone coming to Allentown from near him that could drive the (pre-paid for) game over for me????

Having a hell of a time finding this machine closer to me

-Nate

1 month later
#594 7 years ago

WOW Panzer76 - I HATE you!!

3 weeks later
#609 6 years ago

Bally AS-2518-21 - can these score displays be used in place of the originals in Meteor?

Thanks!

#611 6 years ago

Thanks zacaj!

#617 6 years ago

WooHoo! I'm joining the club, with a project Meteor bought at A-town. Probably will not start seriously diving into it until winter hits, but looking forwards to it!!

Beware, I will be on here a lot bugging the hell outta you other members for instructions.................help...............etc.......

#619 6 years ago

Lovef2k, no, I pre-arranged to pick-up a project pin posted here on the Allentown thread - playfield very decent shape, needs total overhaul, backglass not as good as some at the show.

Funny story, after never seeing Meteor at shows, and paying for mine first in back at the loading dock area, I then enter the show and I run into (wasn't it four?)!!! at Allentown running and for sale!!! - for only a couple hundred more I could of had a fully functioning game instead of project - Doh!!!

Oh well, - that was a funny "kick myself in the ass" moment!! Will still enjoy fixing this one up.

#622 6 years ago

I'd stick with the silver unless you do the lockdown bar and rails in black to match.......

#625 6 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I'm seriously considering doing all the pieces. The main problem is I can't find a place to get the damn side rails and lockdown bar in black.

You actually don't have to powdercoat. If you rough up the metal slightly with steel wool, spray with your choice of "smooth" or my preferred "stippled" spray paint, then coat with a flat or gloss clear coat spray - bam! Done. I've done this on my GoldenEye and it looks great.

May do this on Meteor as well...........

#634 6 years ago

"Meteor/5 ROM images .....effectively divide the scores by 10"

Can someone send me this/these ROM's?

PM me with price - thanks!!!

#638 6 years ago

Couple questions: is something like this what you use to burn ROMS?

https://www.amazon.com/Microcontroller-Programmer-SP200SE-support-AT89C52/dp/B00LO9MMKW/ref=sr_1_1

Second, SilverballNut it sounds like you are saying that you can't put these into an Altek board. Does that include the MPU Barakandl created for early Sterns??

#641 6 years ago

Thanks erichill and SilverballNut - for the info and also for the names of people to get these ROMs from.

-Nate

#648 6 years ago

WhiskeyTango, thanks for the info - I will need to order these, glad Pinball Life has the assemblies ready to go!!

1 month later
#685 6 years ago

Not at all, adapting brightness to the type of insert sounds like a plus.

5 months later
#768 6 years ago

Doing inventory for my Meteor project, rectifier board looks scary - is it a good idea just to replace with a new one???

Any updates on the ladder LED board???

-Nate

#769 6 years ago

Anyone replace the red posts with dark blue?

Thinking about using blue with black rubbers - white stands out too much.

-Nate

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

My last rectifier was scary looking & had been hacked a few times. Solder was everywhere. So I bought a replacement board from barakandl at nvram.weebly.com. I had all the replacement parts so I bought a blank board. If you can save it then try but if you want peace of mind & a reliable power supply then I would start fresh.

Thanks, I'm leaning that way. Not confident in my board soldering skills - but now I'll have a practice one!!

-Nate

#773 6 years ago

Anyone use Purple bulbs beneath the inserts?

Also thinking about slow color change behind the large corner plastics at top of PF.........?

-Nate

#778 6 years ago

Ok, should I replace flippers with WPC or just brand-new Stern-type? Is there really a difference in how the two feel/play?

-Nate

#784 6 years ago

Thanks for the flipper opinions - I may just rebuild what's there for the time being and see how they are - coyote I'll know who do pester if I do switch them over!!

I'm going to start a reconditioning thread soon (independent of the club thread) so hope you'll check it out and be available for moral support!!!

This is my oldest game and it'll need some re-pinning and other things that I haven't attempted as of yet to get it back running.

-Nate

#787 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Post a link to your thread here when you get started, please!

Will do - probably start posting this weekend.

-Nate

#788 6 years ago

Dead bumper body question: I have what look like two gottlieb (GTB-25A part number) bumper assemblies used for the dead bumpers up top. they do have the concave area for the rubber to fit into.

The pop tops do not fit these bodies, someone used a type of set screw drilled into the side to keep the top covers on..........

Pinball Life advertises a dead bumper body replacement but it looks like they do NOT have the concave area for the rubber??

I've got a lot of weird hacks while refurbishing my Meteor so questions will be forthcoming. Thanks in advance for guidance.......

popcap (resized).jpgpopcap (resized).jpg

#792 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Ah, classic Stern flippers, such a great design! A little late to this thread. As a flipper suggestion, I would replace the type 1 base with the type 2 base as seen in later Stern games, it has a slight offset and is not flat to the playfield as the original Meteor baseplate, stronger too......"

Thank you, I think I will be buying the entire flipper Stern assemblies from Pinball Life. Appreciate the detailed "what to replace" in case I piece it back together.

I have new caps, let me try them on the bodies I have and see how they fit.

-Nate

#793 6 years ago

Ah, there are two heights to the Meteor posts???

Crap.

Where can you find the lower height if they are not uniform - could you use the same height and "protect" the tops from scraping the plastics with a coat of liquid rubber or something?

I don't like the red and want to replace with purple all over.............but maybe I can't do that???

-Nate

#798 6 years ago

dothedoo where did you purchase the short posts?? Mine are really dried out and cracking, some already deteriorated........

TheLaw: Purple gross?? I think it'll bring out the purple in the pf - can't see why they ever put red in there?........the purple is dark enough so I think it'll look nice............

I am starting my Meteor resto thread tonight - more of a "refurbish" compared to what others have done to theirs - I'm not that concerned with making it look brand-new, just working with no problems and the playfield being decent/great with good play.

#799 6 years ago

Here's the link to the Meteor resto thread I started........

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-restoration-1#post-4150612

-Nate

3 weeks later
#802 6 years ago

Do Bally slingshot assys fit Meteor?

Need a couple.

-Nate

2 weeks later
#805 6 years ago

Finned or faceted posts? Which are original?

I had a mixture of both on mine............need to replace.

#807 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Faceted. Finned are Bally.

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#818 6 years ago

Just ordered a j-27 1700 coil for slingshots - why is the PBR replacement so much thinner than the original??? Was surprised at the difference between the two.

There's a photo of the two coils side-by-side in my Meteor resto thread.

1 month later
#826 6 years ago

How the hell can you determine which hole size you have for the coil stops?!?! Pinball life is offering two different size holes (6 vs 8)??

Mine look like the larger hole, they are copper colored.

-Nate

#829 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I always buy the dual-hole coil stops.

There are such a thing?? Oh geez.........okay, well that's a no-brainer then!!

I would think that messes with the alignment but I guess not since there is play at the other end of the coil bracket?

dothedoo thanks for being there - my Stern guide!!!!

#830 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Take off your coil stop and compare the screw with a #6 and a #8 screw?

Yep, had that idea also - but dummy me didn't realize you could get both hole sizes on the stops offered by Pinball Life!!!

#837 6 years ago

Ummm, ok............... so it looks like I'm using the #6 hole size regardless of the inclusion of a second set of holes - that second set are there for what reason no one seems to know..................

Think I got it now - I have the older base plate without the bent "legs" on it so the #6 should work - egad these Stern parts!!!!

1 week later
#844 5 years ago

Stern leaf switches - noticed a weird thing last night - it appears that all the contacts for the leaf switches are "weird." Instead of the contact "buttons" being where the flat-round part faces each other, one round part faces so that it is touching the BACK of the other contact button????

First noticed this on the target mech when I took it apart to clean it - is this how the switches are supposed to be?? I always assumed that both fronts of the buttons made contact???

#845 5 years ago

Stern leaf switches - noticed a weird thing last night - it appears that all the contacts for the leaf switches are "weird."

Instead of the contact "buttons" being where the flat-round part faces each other, one round part faces so that it is touching the BACK of the other contact button????

First noticed this on the target mech when I took it apart to clean it - is this how the switches are supposed to be?? I always assumed that both fronts of the buttons made contact??? (ie: faced each other)

#850 5 years ago

Thanks guys, I thought that wasn't right. I have disassembled the target and actually put it back the same way (doh!!) but as you say, hopefully it will work ok.

Yes, they all appear to be that way.

Thanks for the information - I'll turn them around if they look like they need it.

Wow, damn these old Sterns!!! hahaha.

-Nate

2 months later
#892 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The board for the METEOR drop targets isn't done yet, but available ARE:
(1) The Rocket Light Board, and
(2) The Spinner lights.

Put me down for a rocket light board please.......

What's the "spinner lights??"

-Nate

4 weeks later
#916 5 years ago

I just got a replacement J27 1700 coil for the slings and it looks so much thinner than one of the originals..........why is that? Has anyone else used these replacements and are they strong enough?

Below is a link to a photo of an original versus the replacement from my restoration thread - the winding on the coil is not as "robust" as the original. I want to make sure this is the right thing before wiring it back into my game.

Thanks

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_153442261112912&key=c7cb1c7c419234bebfc593e65880ba05&libId=jkwjk0xk0100qp6d000DAisltoqps&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fpinside.com%2Fpinball%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Fmeteor-restoration-1&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.pinside.com%2F2%2F29%2F2290eefe28e951564239943d5a5f3cf9d50a1b48%2Fresized%2Flarge%2F2290eefe28e951564239943d5a5f3cf9d50a1b48.jpg&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fpinside.com%2Fpinball%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2Fmeteor-restoration-1%2Fpage%2F2&title=Meteor%20restoration........%20%7C%20Restorations%20documented%20%7C%20Pinside.com&txt=

#918 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Measure it with an ohm meter compared to the other one.

Thanks for the tip - will do.

2 weeks later
#937 5 years ago

Where's a good source for buying pins and connectors? I know someone mentioned where to buy with a link, etc but damn if I can find it now.

Thanks.

4 weeks later
#965 5 years ago

Want to make sure I've got this wiring correct on the flipper that controls the 3rd upper flipper........ the black or dark brown wire with white on it is currently on the leaf-switch tab "second in" from the very end. The orange "jumper" wire is on the outermost tab and runs to the left-most coil tab (I put white arrows to show placement). I've seen these two wires also reversed, where the orange jumper is where the black w/white wire is..........does it matter which one is where???

On the upper flipper, am I missing a wire?? I have a jumper going from the middle tab of the coil to the outer tab of the leaf switch. Is there a wire that's supposed to be attached to the other leaf switch tab?

Thanks......

Flipcheck (resized).jpgFlipcheck (resized).jpgUpperFlipper (resized).jpgUpperFlipper (resized).jpg

1 week later
#974 5 years ago

Shouldn't there be a three-prong plug for Meteor??

I've gotta replace mine as well, but haven't gotten that far yet......

1 week later
#977 5 years ago

Are the 22-26AWG crimp contacts the size that I want to use?? Of course, when I sit down to make an order, Great Plains is out of stock!!!

#979 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Go to Mouser.com or Digikey.com

Great, thanks.

1 month later
#1047 5 years ago

Installed the LED light boards for the spinner lights and the rocket bonus - a LOT of wires to solder since I didn't use the pinned plugs option, but I tested with an AC adaptor and they seem to work just fine, I'll know once I get my project Meteor up and running.......

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg
#1052 5 years ago

lovef2k and NeilMcRae:

These are "prototype" boards that were offered for purchase earlier in this topic. I don't think they are available just yet - as this was a "test run" to see how they work out.

-Nate

1 month later
#1067 5 years ago

Ok, so how do you gap the EOS switch on the upper flipper in order to weaken the output so you're not smashing the ball into the METEOR targets at such close range??

The switch is normally closed, and opens when power is sent to it. I can understand if the switch is open you would just increase the gap, but I must be missing something??

Also, is this the easiest way to weaken the flipper other than replacing the coil?

Thanks!!

#1070 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You shouldn't need to mess with the eos if you've got the resistor in line with the coil.

I looks like using the resistor creates sparks, the pf below that spot was all black - is that correct?

#1071 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

By increasing the gap, you've made it so the switch opens earlier during flipper travel. This removes power from the high power winding so the flipper will depend on the hold winding to continue moving the flipper to full up position, thus weakening flipper power.

Ok, that makes sense, so I want the eos open so only the "hold winding" will move the flipper up. I'll give it a shot once I get Meteor powered up for the first time.

Thanks!

#1074 5 years ago

The 600 coil is used for the upper flipper to make it weaker, so that it won't break the meteor drop targets. Does your coil have two diodes attached?

I've replaced all the coils, I'll have to check that I used the 600 for the upper flipper - I probably did as I went by the parts in the user manual.

Even with the weaker coil, I'd hate to fire up my brand new game and see target heads flying off in all directions!!!

#1075 5 years ago

"The 600 coil is used for the upper flipper to make it weaker, so that it won't break the meteor drop targets. Does your coil have two diodes attached?"

I've replaced all the coils, I'll have to check that I used the 600 for the upper flipper - I probably did as I went by the parts in the user manual. It's been a year(!) since I replaced them.

Even with the weaker coil, I'd hate to fire up my brand new game and see target heads flying off in all directions!!!

#1079 5 years ago

I actually had the same coil at the top as the bottom flippers..........so I swapped it out for the 600 that was in there, and yes, it does have the two diodes attached.

Thanks for the reminder - don't know why I put all three the same, have been following the manual for parts. Glad I double-checked.

Man, what were they thinking, using that puny pf support bar?? I've been adding a second piece of wood trim as a prop arm because that original one has "FAIL" written all over it!!

So fun soldering and replacing a coil with the playfield installed

1 year later
#1664 3 years ago

Need some help, I refurbished my Meteor, have brand new power board, light board, and CPU, re-pinned the plugs running to the little power board beneath the pf and replaced that board also.

When I turn on the machine, I only get the GI lights coming on, there is no attract mode and no power to flippers, etc. I have a glow on the score displays, but not enough juice getting to them to fire up the digits......... I already checked the voltages to the small power board and they are all ok.

I am thinking I have the ribbon cables somehow mis-aligned, for some really dumb reason, there are more pins than there are spaces for pins on the ribbon cable ends?!?!?! Can someone look at my photos and tell me how the hell these cables are supposed to be plugged into the two boards?

Are there any other specific plugs/pins that I should examine that might be damaged and not feeding the right power? I inspected ALL the pins in the plugs and they seem tight and not broken, loose, etc.

Thanks, after getting this rough pin and really great shape, I want to finally play the damn thing! So frustrating......

Ribbon_Cable_1 (resized).jpgRibbon_Cable_1 (resized).jpgPower_Board_Ribbon_Placement (resized).jpgPower_Board_Ribbon_Placement (resized).jpg
#1667 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

start from the right side of the mpu and go left not skipping any pins. Do the same on the sound board.
There is a reset line in there that will prevent the board from booting if the cable is wrong

Thanks, let me try that and I'll get back to you guys. Incredibly busy lately.

#1668 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Cheddar is right:
Your connection at J5 (the red board) is wrong. There should not be a pin left blank in the middle. Shift the connector on the left over one set of pins.

Thanks, I'll check it out and report back.

#1728 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

What's the opinion on the nvram-weebly rectifier board? It's only $55 (fully assembled) delivered in US. Also available as a kit.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1055-nvramweeblycom/01123--new-bally-stern-rectifier-board-as-2518-18-ta-100

Works great, recommended.

#1729 3 years ago

Ok gang, I'm back. I got the ribbon cables situated correctly. Right to left, and that got the machine to turn on, go through the 7 beeps, and the score displays come on. I can start a game, BUT there is absolutely nothing happening.

There is no power to the flippers, no power to anything on the pf. if I push the flipper buttons, I get just a TEENY amount of upwards movement from the right flipper but you can barely notice it.

What the hell do I check next?? I feel like I'm really close to getting it going, but the game just sits there, all GI lights and the background "thrumming" sound works, but the targets do not re-set. Something is amiss.

Please post things for me to check.

Appreciate the help!

-Nate

#1731 3 years ago

Coyote, thanks for the input. Ok, I did a really dumb thing, so it solved part of the problem, but I'm still not "outta the woods" yet. See pic, and you'll notice the damn plug was put on backwards, so once I turned that around this morning after comparing my plugs with someone's photo from pinside, my mouth dropped open and spoke the one word, "Dummy!!!"

Went downstairs and switched that plug around, fired-up the game, and got the following: Attract lighting working, score displays "somewhat" working, it looks like there are a few "wonky" digits - will deal with that later. The ball fed into the lane after pushing "start" (I have a new ROM with the half-score scoring and free play automatically set).

BUT - the machine, without launching the ball, continuously goes through the "re-set" motions, re-setting the targets and also indicating scoring, this is in a loop that just continues every 20 seconds or so.

Suggestions? Would that reversed plug have messed anything up or blown a fuse? The fuses looked fine on the power-board beneath the pf.

Thanks!

Nate

duh (resized).jpgduh (resized).jpg
#1743 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Check the outhole switch in case it's stuck closed. This behavior you describe will happen if it thinks the ball is still in the outhole so it resets the playfield for the ball in play until the outhole switch opens.

Thanks, I'll check the switch and report back - appreciate it.

-Nate

#1744 3 years ago

Ok, I checked the switch on the outhole. It opens once the ball is sent to the shooter lane - But, I am still getting "phantom scoring" and sounds with the ball simply sitting in the shooter lane.......................

Am I correct thinking that something is crossed somewhere, or something is shorting against something metallic beneath the playfield somewhere in the wiring?

Before I hit the start button, the machine is quiet, and the attract lights are on, but once I hit the start button, the thing goes wacky!!!

Thanks again for any tips,

Nate

1 week later
#1755 3 years ago

That Meteor is looking good! Can't say I ever was a fan of the red posts, I put blue on mine and it looks SOOOO much better with the color scheme. Yummy minty pf!!

#1756 3 years ago

Ok, Bluespin, Coyote and Quench - thanks for the input on getting my Meteor playable.

I can indeed shoot some video, I will take a look at the rollovers and check that switch test. Really busy, so can't get to it often right away, but I DO appreciate your input!

Stay tuned........

Nate

#1758 3 years ago

Ok, checked all my leaf-switches for contact with game off, there were some switches closed on the drop targets and the brand-new switches and mechs installed for the sling-shots. DOH!

The roll-over stars all looked ok.

I also noticed that the mechs were not aligned properly and would not allow the switches to remain open with the new rubber stretched in front of them, and that the arm for the slingshot was sitting too far back to be effective.

Sooooooooo, I pulled off both mechs, doweled up the holes and let the glue dry overnight. I'll be re-assembling soon and report back! Hope the leaf switches were the problem.

One question, with the new arms for the slingshots, how close should the rubber be to the rocker arm when it is in the "resting" position" I figure it should be as close as possible to allow for maximum rebound?

Nate

#1770 3 years ago

My drops are sitting low, I think that has been a problem discussed earlier on this thread. I plan to secure a flat rod onto the lift arm beneath the targets to take up about a small portion of space so the targets sit fully displayed in their pf slot. Keep this in mind when re-assembling.

3 weeks later
#1801 3 years ago

Does adjusting the two set-screws on either side of the round bar where the platform that swings up to re-set the drop targets help at all to raise the drops higher above the pf line?

If you loosen those can you swing the bar in either direction to get more height and then re-set the screws??

#1810 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No. AFAIK, those screws are just there to make sure that the lift bar grabs onto the rod. If my previous knowledge is correct, the height/depth of the targets aren't adjusable by it.

Ok, thanks.

2 weeks later
#1853 3 years ago

Quick help - can someone post a picture of the two ribbon cables running from the sound board to the MPU?

Mine are not plugged in properly (wrong pins) and I can't get the machine running correctly, I think that is the problem. Why the hell did they make more pins on the board(s) than the ribbon cables have???? It's driving me crazy.

So if I could get a shot of the ribbon cables showing the clear order of pins used on the sound board, and then a shot of the MPU showing the clear order of connect I would really appreciate it!

One more whole shot of the ribbon cables also, mine appear to "cross" ie: the J1 is on the first row on the sound board but connects to the second row on the MPU and the J2 is on the second row on the sound board but connects to the first row on the MPU.

-Nate

DSC_8916 (resized).JPGDSC_8916 (resized).JPG
#1855 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Pins 33 and 34 are not used. I have seen 16 pin and 17 pin cables on these games. If you have the 16 pin ribbons, leave pins 33 and 34 open on the sound board. Same with the J5 on MPU if it has 34 pins. Make sure the ribbon connectors are matched to the numbers on the connector, pin 1 from sound board to pin 1 on J5 and so on. . Be sure there is no gap between the 2 ribbon connectors.
Also inspect the ribbon where it mates with the connector, if 1 wire breaks or dislodges, no workie. I'm pretty sure Weebly has replacements for these.

Thanks, I will get this into place and report back, it seems like this is making my game act up, I will inspect the wires, although they seem very hard to diagnose since they are very thin and coated with the plastic "ribbon". Urgh.

I do have 17 pin cables.

Nate

#1857 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Besides a visual inspection, if you have some new .100 header pin strips that you haven't used yet, place them into the connectors on each end and test with VOM. If your meter has a continuity test option with an audible sound, that would be the best, if not I suggest you buy the Fluke 117 for pin work.

I don't have any of those .100 header pins, I do have a continuity setting on my meter. I'm very "green" to this stuff but doing my best to learn. Thank you again, I'm getting ready to reseat those ribbon cables.....

#1858 3 years ago

Got the ribbon cables installed correctly.

When I turn on game, it goes through the 7 chimes and all score displays are lit.

Pressing the start button causes the machine to go into a loop of constantly resetting, and I have no reaction in slings pops, etc.

Above link is a video, really appreciate any guidance, I'm ready to play!!

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

On a side note, from factory these games came with the flipper bats resting against the two pins behind them. Your flippers are sitting quite high which will make it difficult to aim at the lower 1 and 3 targets. The flippers on this are not supposed to align straight with the return lanes like other manufacturers do.
Oh, +2 on what Lovef2k and Coyote said about the outhole switch being seen as stuck closed.

Thanks so much Coyote and Lovef2k and Quench!

I have looked at that switch, and it must be broken, it appears working but obviously is not registering. I will order a new one. Is there a substitute that I should know about - I know some parts are hard to obtain if relying on the Stern original parts and numbers......?.....................

Is that switch being unresponsive also related to not having any power at any solenoids?

Quench - thanks for the flipper hint! This is my first early Stern so I had no idea the placement was different - I would definitely be an un-happy flipper not being able to make those shots!!

Appreciate all the help, you guys are great.

Nate

#1866 3 years ago

Ok, damn. I looked at the switch tonight and made sure the contacts were not touching when the ball was not sitting on it. I also re-soldered the wires and checked for any damage. The machine is still going nuts. Here are some photos. Also, I had a WTF!! moment trying to deal with the diagnostic tests Man, I can't keep track of the number appearing on the score display and the "sound" of the solenoid to keep track of anything that wasn't firing?!?!

And the switch test didn't seem to be doing anything........I will post photos of the ribbon cable placement for ss-pinball, and the switch stack.

Video of the test modes may have to wait until tomorrow.

I appreciate you guys helping me - so frustrating to be so close!!

20201123_213912 (resized).jpg20201123_213912 (resized).jpg20201123_214024 (resized).jpg20201123_214024 (resized).jpg20201123_214140 (resized).jpg20201123_214140 (resized).jpg20201123_214357 (resized).jpg20201123_214357 (resized).jpg20201123_214418 (resized).jpg20201123_214418 (resized).jpg20201123_214445 (resized).jpg20201123_214445 (resized).jpg
#1869 3 years ago

Thanks, that brown wire is soldered to the lowest of the 3 tabs. I tried to get a clear shot a few times of that.

Quench, thanks for the leaf switch catch, I'll adjust that.

I appreciate your help with the diagnosis. Just for fun here is me in the video, to be sure, I had a confused look on my face!!

You can see where it looks to be cycling through the correct steps, pf lights all lit, etc.

I'll go back tonight and try the switch diagnostic again.

Excuse the score displays, I'll fiddle with those later......I guess one digit out could be the molex connector??

Thank you again, I'm trying my best!

1 week later
#1882 3 years ago
Quoted from djd9617:

pinball_nate are those special flashing effect bulbs in your backbox?

They are little flasher bulbs that came with the game, "old fashioned" round headed, clear. I'm going to move those two to the tails of the rockets in the foreground backglass.

#1883 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help! Meteor is finally up and running!!

Now, I don't know exactly what I did (!) but there were obviously some closed/touching switches that I missed first time around.

Lifting the pf, I inspected *everything* and checked wires for breaks, bends, all switches on drop targets, noticed a switch touching on the METEOR target bank. I also noticed the "R" remaining down, so I think fixing the closed switch solved that problem, I was thinking it was mechanical, but it wasn't.

After inspecting I closed the pf, fired it up (Oh, I also fixed that outhole switch so it was not sandwiched between a couple of leaf switches as someone noticed).

Bingo! Whatever I adjusted solved the problem. I did figure out that (to me) hard to follow switch matrix test, and noticed that "01" also displaying. I just touched the coin door switches, but didn't really do anything to them. Those Stern tests had me laughing, you're supposed to follow the numbers while they flip by at a good pace and *listen* for either a mechanical sound or a speaker noise!.........I was laughing trying to follow that, it goes fairly quickly through all the numbers!!!

Anyway, I'm a happy camper. I have a question about the EOS switch opening used in order to have the upper flipper reduce power. How exactly does that work?? Is that done at the right-hand flipper at the bottom or at the upper flipper leaf switch?? Photos if anyone did this would help me.

Thank you again, I appreciate your help, I think you guys are great and patient - you definitely pointed to the right general direction.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

Nate

#1885 3 years ago

slochar, thanks for the reply. I got it, and will open that upper fllipper gap so I don't break those targets.

The manual for Meteor says this, "....each solenoid to be energized, one at a time, in a continuous sequence........the number appearing on the Player Score displays is the same as the number assigned to the solenoid. The sound of a solenoid pulling-in as a number appears indicates proper operation. The absence of a sound shows a fault.....see Solenoid ID page in game book for help in Solenoid identification."

Anyway, it's working, thanks for everyone's input.

8 months later
#2248 2 years ago

Must've missed all the chatter about the new Meteor ruleset. Does that complete Arduino sold by Roygbev install ok on a barakandl PCB?

Thanks.

Nate

#2251 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I know it works on the Alltek and the original. I don't think it works on a Weebly. The barakandl is a Weebly right?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, a Weebly - I hope it'll work! I messaged Barakandl, no reply so far........I'm assuming that is Andrew?

#2256 2 years ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I wonder if driving A12 (J5:pin10) is even required on your board?
The reason I'm driving A9 & A12 low on the other MPUs is because CS2 of the PIAs requires a logic low on the two inputs of the U17C NAND. What happens on your board if we don't try to drive A12 low? Will the PIA be selected or deselected? Is there a place on the board where a signal for CS2 of the PIAs can be injected?
The reason I ask is because on REV 1 & 2 of the BSOS board, A9 & A12 were driven low by an IC, but on REV 3 everything is done by pins on the Arduino. I can tri-state A12 on the Arduino if there's another way to select the PIAs without contention.
(of course the other task would be finding a place to pick up the IRQ)

For the new Meteor code (Dick thanks so much for working on these older Sterns, that is awesome work you are doing!!), No on the Barakandl board for now, and YES if I purchase an allteksystems board is what I am seeing?

Dick, have you thought about re-doing the code for Wild-Fyre? That is a simple, fun game, but it could use a little beefing up as well.................

3 months later
#2425 2 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Does anyone have posts in a color other than red? Pics? How does it look? I've got a spare playfield that needs some parts...thinking of clearing it and am looking for inspiration for the reassembly (and I've got a few orders coming up and might as well throw in some posts and screws).

Personally, I hate the red posts on Meteor, I put blue on and it looks so much better!!

#2428 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Can you post a picture, I would like to see what the blue posts look like on the game.

Sure, my resto thread is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-restoration-1/page/2 Pages 2 and 4 have some playfield shots.

Here's one more.

20200718_173835 (resized).jpg20200718_173835 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2430 2 years ago

Having a crazy time figuring out an issue on my Meteor

The "3" drop bank is not working correctly. The bottom target (towards player) does not register, the top two targets go down, but once all three targets are down, the bank does not re-set, and you only ever score the middle and upper "3" on the rocket ladder.

I checked the wiring, it is complete and looks correct. What plug on the MPU are the targets wired to? I want to check that plug connector and am thinking about re-soldering the entire target bank to see if all connections are solid.

Also, my switch test is not working. I cannot drop a target and get a corresponding indicating number on the backglass.

Oh, also, my "Shoot Again" light always lights up after playing a ball for a short time, is this a setting that perhaps is set way too low on the dip switches?

Nate

#2439 2 years ago

Would this work for the drop springs? I have a similar problem with drops not remaining up - was glad to see your post.

How much of a difference is there in this spring (5003-00) and the 5003-03??

-Nate

1 month later
#2472 2 years ago

Ok, gameplay question, what is the outlane light on either side that says "Collect Rocket Bonus?" where your ball drains out?

The only thing I could remotely come up with is that somehow your 2x, 3x, etcetera bonus is held-over into the next ball-in-play unless you drain where this light is lit - then you somehow get points for whatever bonus level you had, and the bonus then re-sets to zero??

11 months later
#2677 1 year ago

Yes, what Robotworkshop said above, but in my case I ran a pair of jumper wires from the Arduino to the front of the cab for easy access in a tight lineup of pins.

So you just spliced more wire onto the 5v supply wires plugged into the new board and ran each end onto an end of the switch? Getting ready to install mine this week.

-Nate

Added 13 months ago:

Didn't mean to quote myself........getting back to the toggle switch, did you guys just extend the yellow and blue wire from the power plug on the new board and solder to an "on off" switch?

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball_Nate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=Pinball_Nate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.