IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #547 LED info. Posted by Gryphun (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider A_Bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1315 4 years ago

Hi all, just picked up a project Meteor. Overall in nice shape. Replaced and adjusted some flipper switches, cleaned up a few problem areas and aside from a flickering 2nd player display I'm only having one significant issue:

The kickout trough coil stops firing after the game warms up. I can turn the game on and get about 10 minutes of gameplay before the coil stops firing. The game cycles through the solenoids repeatedly until I manually move the ball off of the trough switch. It works again if I turn off the game for a bit and I've never seen it start working again once it has quit.

I have looked at the coil wiring and it looks fine. Operationally it is fine during those first 10 minutes which leads me to suspect something on the boards. Unforunately, I'm an EM guy and don't know where to start on the board. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit: behaves like this

1 month later
#1359 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Probably a header issue. Get the manual on IPDB, and identify which connector on your solenoid driver board goes out to your outhole kicker. That pin is probably garbage.

Circling back to say thanks. Reflowed the solder on the header and it took care of it.

Meteor pop bumper question: where does the pop bumper cap with the red star first show up? It isn't on the flyer. Did all games ship with the star on the cap or was that introduced later?

2 months later
#1454 4 years ago

Does anyone have a list of the full arsenal of parts needed for a re-pin/re-header on Meteor? I've gotten by reflowing solder here and there as needed but the time has come to do all of them. Figured if someone has a list already done it will save me a little time getting an order together.

1 month later
#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Quick question...
Are the Meteor Bonus 7k inserts the same color as the Special inserts?

Mine are, yes.

#1508 4 years ago

Achilles heel parts seem to be the board connectors simply because of their age. $100 and elbow grease will fix that.

Blown out playfields and cupped inserts seem to be the norm. Rumor has it there is a whole subset of Meteors with incorrect fonts, smeared details and missing playfield text...

On location I've seen trouble with the upper drop bank quite a few times.

IMO it is worth working through those things. The game is pure great.

2 months later
#1586 3 years ago

Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot an out hole kicker issue on my Meteor. The kicker coil doesn't activate when the out hole switch is pressed. All other solenoids fire just fine and cycle endlessly as long as the drain switch is closed. Voltage coming across at the wires but circuit stays open when the coil should be activating so it makes me think it is a board issue. I get continuity from the pin on the board to the wire at the coil. I just replaced all pins and headers on my solenoid board hoping to get rid of this issue but no luck. Beyond that I don't know much about board troubleshooting. Where do I go next?

#1588 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If you have no power at the coil that indicates a break in the power chain under the playfield. There should be two wires on the power terminal of each coil except the last coil in the chain. Check all of the coils and see if one of the power wires broke off.

Sorry - bad write up on my part. I have voltage at the coil - but the circuit doesn't close when the coil is supposed to activate.

#1590 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Try the grounding the transistor trick to see if the wires are connected as they should be. Cold solder and connector problems are prevalent in these as well.

Not familiar with this. Just jumper the ground leg of the transistor to see if the ball kicks out?

#1594 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

You can very quickly ground the tab of the associated transistor and it'll fire the coil if all is good with the wiring.

Wiring checks out ok. If I ground the pin at J5 - 8 or at the leg of transistor C16 the out hole coil fires. What do I do from here? How do I determine if it is a bad transistor and if so, what transistor do I replace it with?

3 months later
#1751 3 years ago

Ok, Meteor coin door - large Stern decal or no? Flyer and IPDB examples don't show a Stern sticker. I see some with stickers in member photos but most of those coin doors look rehabbed so it might have been added later.

If yes, which decal?

door_Stern_78 (resized).jpgdoor_Stern_78 (resized).jpgdoor_Stern_80 (resized).jpgdoor_Stern_80 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#1979 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

IMHO, I really, really, *REALLY* like the added red highlight. I kind of wish you were able to get that scanned for record before assembling it. :I

I own a red Meteor variant as well. Planning to strip the pf next winter for a restore. I'll definitely scan and share for anyone interested.

3 weeks later
#2019 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Look at where the magenta/purple meet the black, there is a weird boarder around the purple, that is not on any Meteor playfield I've seen and wonder if they added it on purpose for the "Gold" version.

That's just CPR's shoddy art department. They autovector everything and end up missing quite a few details. Not a high level of QC.

#2026 2 years ago

To be fair to the CPR buyers, there are a lot of Meteor playfields out there that are so trashed that CPR is the only "affordable" option. I know I'd fight tooth and nail to get my player's condition one rehabbed first, but not everyone is in that situation. It is just disappointing that there isn't a better option. When I finally tear down my "red meteor" version I'd like to go get it professionally scanned, either for posterity or with some hope that a different small manufacturer might do a higher grade repro.

1 month later
#2086 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

There is definitely some variation in the playfields. When I reached out to CPR about the #3 drop target slot being 0.3" smaller on their than my original playfield, they were able to pull out their 2 originals and verify that they were both indeed smaller.

Could be, but take it with a grain of salt. CPR always says that when they screw up.

Measured my original pf (red Meteor variant). 1 and 3 drop holes measure the same. "Extra" post is there behind the Meteor targets.

#2089 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Is your extra post reflected in the tiny diagram for the rubber too?

No, same as the one pictured above. Diagram shows six across the bottom and one at the peak.

1 week later
#2099 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

So to revisit CPR's latest playfield run.... I read a lot about the problems with the original playfield CPR did, the most obvious being the missing scores for the "Meteor" drop targets. I see they fixed that with the newest run of playfield. How much of the rest of the font, art etc issues were addressed?
I'm asking because I was "lucky" enough to buy the last of the first run playfields, back in December. I'm considering buying another one if enough of the issues were addressed. I have a second Meteor that could use a playfield but for the money, if the missing scores were the only thing fixed I'll probably just live with it.

Only the missing scores appeared fixed to me. All the poor font matches elsewhere on the game remained.

2 months later
#2221 2 years ago

My project/players Meteor came with a Beehive playfield protector to help the game survive some play before a proper restoration could move forward. One of the few issues the protector introduces is a small lip near the drop target banks that frequently traps a slow moving ball above a dropped target. These can not be shaken loose.

PXL_20210813_234910673 (resized).jpgPXL_20210813_234910673 (resized).jpg

So today I printed some clip-in standoffs to help keep the drop targets at the same level or just slightly above the top of the playfield protector.

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg

PXL_20210813_220433063 (resized).jpgPXL_20210813_220433063 (resized).jpg

I had thought about some makeshift solutions like popsicle sticks or some beerseal, but these clip nicely into place at all four target banks, are easily installed, stay in place when working on the game, and are easily removed.

PXL_20210813_222416425 (resized).jpgPXL_20210813_222416425 (resized).jpg

PXL_20210813_222436340 (resized).jpgPXL_20210813_222436340 (resized).jpg

Problem solved. Hope this helps anyone else that uses a playfield protector.

PXL_20210813_234945083 (resized).jpgPXL_20210813_234945083 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2244 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think the coin door with only 1 cherry switch is from a MPU-100 game or maybe even a EM? I have seen different variations of coin doors on Meteor. Some with only 2 bolt holes on trim and hinge. Some with 3 holes. Some with 2 coin entries, some with 3 which makes a little sense since the SBA coin was released in '79. Sterns coin door harnesses usually have the game title on the tag, look for that.
Other weird thing I noticed between 2 Meteors here, one has inset coin door trim, so the trim is flush with cab front. Other is top mounted above the door opening.
I have not seen any Stern doors with the volume pot attached, always on cab floor.

I have what I assume is an early-ish run of Meteor. It has 3 coin entries, a single menu switch, and the red screen layer. Interesting how a number of changes seem to have happened midway through Meteor's run.

PXL_20210820_173910881 (resized).jpgPXL_20210820_173910881 (resized).jpgPXL_20210820_173917844 (resized).jpgPXL_20210820_173917844 (resized).jpgPXL_20210820_174018749 (resized).jpgPXL_20210820_174018749 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2277 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

My wife and I were playing a game of split flippers when I heard a buzzing and noticed the left sling locked on. Turned off the machine, the coil releases. I turned it back on and the coil immediately locks on again. Should I check the associated transistor in the morning, or is there a better place to start?

I keep a pile of transistors for the driver board. Doesn't happen often, but when I get a lockup I don't even bother testing the transistor, just pull it and replace, plus a diode replace as stated above.

2 months later
#2419 2 years ago

If you can be patient it sounds like Fantastic Pinball is interested in remaking these.

2 months later
#2461 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I haven’t seen how big those are in person. The inserts for the missiles are small and tight together. Not sure if there is enough clearance. Love yoppsicles though.

I remember Yopp saying he was working on custom Yoppsicle units for Meteor. I hope that is still happening.

5 months later
#2563 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Believe me when I say I have fat sausage fingers but after reading about and watching pindudes youtube video and getting the right crimper and crimps it's not hard.
You just repeat repeat repeat
It feels good to me to actually do minor repairs on boards etc.
Was scared before .

+1 Not my native skillset but repinning these boards isn't difficult with the right tools and a little practice.

3 months later
#2597 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I just brought a Meteor home, pretty nice original game. Ordered the new code for it, can't wait to install it. I would like to replace the BG. I saw previous post about the color problems with the CPR version. Anyone gotten one recently and are they still off color wise?

Get the Coos backglass. It has much better mirroring.

2 months later
#2671 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Shouldn't the Meteor (object, not wording) be very dark as well, as its mostly green? It looks to be straight mirror on the Coos one, and is dark on the CPR image.

The meteor (object, not wording) is stippled between green and mirror so a lot is going to depend on where you're standing. Looking at mine and then at the photos I'd say the Coos version looks more correct. The CPR one has that silver material that doesn't really look like mirroring. There are also incorrect colors on the CPR. For example the R in METEOR should be the same color as the STERN just below it.

8 months later
#2778 6 months ago

Hey all, I have a METEOR drop target (O) that rapidly registers hits anytime it is down. The score just keeps ramping up until the bank is reset. Switches are cleaned and gapped correctly. I suspect a diode but was wondering if anyone else has run across something similar before I dig in.

#2780 6 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

The target should only score once due to the way the software works. It is likely another switch scoring.... Any mashed switches on the coin door?

Would it be something in the same switch matrix then? It only happens when the O target is dropped.

3 months later
#2886 3 months ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Ugh…Houston, I mean CPR we have a problem. Anyone else run into this? I already dealt with the nightmare of properly positioning the center post.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like pretty typical CPR quality. Sad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 169.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider A_Bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past?tu=A_Bord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.