0C (resized).jpg
0A (resized).jpg
IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4174 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpeg
20231230_105158 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,930 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 59.
#2051 2 years ago

Today I replaced the METEOR drop down targets. After I reassembled the housing I noticed that a White wire and an orange wire had come disconnected. I noticed that the M drop down switch was missing its wire. The only problem is that I don't know which one goes there. I do no that the other wire goes someplace else. I have the schematics but I am struggling with them. They was I'm reading it the colors called out do not match.

If I connect either wire the targets come up at the beginning of the game and all the lights in front of them are lit. Hitting the targets drops them but no pints are registered and the lights stay on.

Can someone please try to troubleshoot this.

#2052 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveSpade73:

Today I replaced the METEOR drop down targets. After I reassembled the housing I noticed that a White wire and an orange wire had come disconnected. I noticed that the M drop down switch was missing its wire. The only problem is that I don't know which one goes there. I do no that the other wire goes someplace else. I have the schematics but I am struggling with them. They was I'm reading it the colors called out do not match.
If I connect either wire the targets come up at the beginning of the game and all the lights in front of them are lit. Hitting the targets drops them but no pints are registered and the lights stay on.
Can someone please try to troubleshoot this.

See if you can grab a picture of exactly how you found it with the two wires disconnected. Then one of us can take a picture of the same area on ours. Also was it working ok before you replaced the targets?

1 week later
#2053 2 years ago

Haven't been back here in a week. Someone sent me a picture of their's and it worked. I have a new issue. Does anyone know where I can get a drop down target switch part number SW-471? Marco's doesn't have them. Ebay and Amazon don't have them. I messed a couple of them up and would rather replace them then try to fix them.

#2054 2 years ago

You can buy switch stack parts from Marco and PBR. If you pull apart your switch stack (keep track of the order) you can find the individual elements that got messed up. While you’re add it, order a leaf switch adjustment tool so you don’t bung up any more of them.

#2055 2 years ago

Meteor Slingshot Wiring Help Please
My meteor was found in the backroom of a store. It was super cheap and I realize why. THe wiring is really messed up. I am working on the slingshot switches that were cobbled together from various years and brands. I am hoping someone could post or send me closeups of the slingshot wiring both sides? The photos on IPDB do not zoom in close enough with any clarity.

#2056 2 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

Meteor Slingshot Wiring Help Please
My meteor was found in the backroom of a store. It was super cheap and I realize why. THe wiring is really messed up. I am working on the slingshot switches that were cobbled together from various years and brands. I am hoping someone could post or send me closeups of the slingshot wiring both sides? The photos on IPDB do not zoom in close enough with any clarity.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need another view.

6595FF5B-6C61-4F94-BC53-85CEA39531B8 (resized).jpeg6595FF5B-6C61-4F94-BC53-85CEA39531B8 (resized).jpeg

0C0AD774-4A5A-4714-B516-A266E71E216A (resized).jpeg0C0AD774-4A5A-4714-B516-A266E71E216A (resized).jpeg

#2057 2 years ago

Thanks for responding. If you can show what is on each switch that would be awesome. My game had wires hanging and a switch stack from a bally game. Didnt have the little caps. trying to order the parts I need and then see what the correct wiring is. I think as I do my swaps from now on Im going to start posting detailed wiring photos for others. I try to take them before the swap but this was messed from the start. Thanks again.

#2058 2 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

Thanks for responding. If you can show what is on each switch that would be awesome. My game had wires hanging and a switch stack from a bally game. Didnt have the little caps. trying to order the parts I need and then see what the correct wiring is. I think as I do my swaps from now on Im going to start posting detailed wiring photos for others. I try to take them before the swap but this was messed from the start. Thanks again.

Sling shots do not have a cap installed. Not necessary. Should have have 1 diode per sling shot. Pair of switches wired parallel for side.

#2059 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Sling shots do not have a cap installed. Not necessary. Should have have 1 diode per sling shot. Pair of switches wired parallel for side.

Per sid3

#2060 2 years ago

There is a switch with a diode and a switch with the arco .05 cap - the orange disc cap. I attached the picture of the mess I have. If I am wrong about that being a cap, i humbly beg forgiveness.

IMG_6467[87] (resized).jpgIMG_6467[87] (resized).jpg
#2061 2 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

I don't know how much more I can show you, I'm not going to draw a diagram. The photos above PLUS the info in the manual should be enough to figuire out whats what.

Why do you think they are not original? It looks like they had the same color wire as mine and the switch stacks don't look any different.

You know Stern copied Bally on almost everything right?

#2062 2 years ago
Quoted from scooter75:

There is a switch with a diode and a switch with the arco .05 cap - the orange disc cap. I attached the picture of the mess I have. If I am wrong about that being a cap, i humbly beg forgiveness.
[quoted image]

Yes that IS a cap and I stand corrected. My meteor has caps but I can't help with pics at this time, all my games are not set up right now. I can only lift coin door and peek inside for now.

#2063 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help/

#2064 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I don't know how much more I can show you, I'm not going to draw a diagram. The photos above PLUS the info in the manual should be enough to figuire out whats what.
Why do you think they are not original? It looks like they had the same color wire as mine and the switch stacks don't look any different.
You know Stern copied Bally on almost everything right?

Thanks for your help - I wasnt trying to be useless. The switch I photographed was off a parts playfield that was all cut up. the colors were different. The biggest trouble I was having was that the slam switch had a wire that it shared with the left sling. I didnt realize that this was the third wire. Ill figure it out. Thanks again

2 weeks later
#2065 2 years ago

Hey all. I'm working on a restoration of my own Meteor (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201)

While I was working on the large 6 bank drop target, I got a call right in the middle of when I had the left most leaf switch completely disassembled.

Does anyone have the correct order that the leaf switch stack goes back together. I just want to check and make sure I have it right.

**edit When I say left most it is looking at the switches from the back. I think it would be the letter R on the target bank**

#2066 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Hey all. I'm working on a restoration of my own Meteor (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-meteor-20201)
While I was working on the large 6 bank drop target, I got a call right in the middle of when I had the left most leaf switch completely disassembled.
Does anyone have the correct order that the leaf switch stack goes back together. I just want to check and make sure I have it right.
**edit When I say left most it is looking at the switches from the back. I think it would be the letter R on the target bank**

Why would it be different than the other 5 switch stacks? Can you look at those for correct order?

#2067 2 years ago

Why would it be different than the other 5 switch stacks? Can you look at those for correct order?

Absolutely. I was getting in my own head. I read another post where someone had their switches set up differently for half the targets. It's good. Time to move on to other things.

#2068 2 years ago

Cool, it'd been a bit since I had mine apart but I didn't remember any of them being different.

#2069 2 years ago

Recently aquired a very nice Meteor. Looks great next to Galaxy and F2K.
Looking for the fabled Stern unicorn...need a left sided slingshot arm. I know I can replace with a Bally but I'm kinda OCD and wanna try to stay original as possible.
PM me if you have one for sale.

#2070 2 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

Looking for the fabled Stern unicorn...need a left sided slingshot arm. I know I can replace with a Bally but I'm kinda OCD and wanna try to stay original as possible.

Do you need to replace a missing one, or is the one in there very sloppy?

#2071 2 years ago

Williams not bally. Just did it on my qs. No noticeable difference in sling power.

#2072 2 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Do you need to replace a missing one, or is the one in there very sloppy?

I need a new arm...just the stub sticking through the playfield. I feel bad cause he still tries to get to the ball..just falls short

#2073 2 years ago

I need a new arm...just the stub sticking through the playfield. I feel bad cause he still tries to get to the ball..just falls short

I have this leftover from an old meteor I switched to Bally style. Not sure if it is original style or left/right. If it's right, it's all yours...

PXL_20210529_232103235 (resized).jpgPXL_20210529_232103235 (resized).jpg
#2074 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I read another post where someone had their switches set up differently for half the targets.

Were you thinking of where people were using the bottom mounted switches instead of the back mounted? (Possibly because the bent type arm is hard to source)

#2075 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Were you thinking of where people were using the bottom mounted switches instead of the back mounted? (Possibly because the bent type arm is hard to source)

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. Beers may have been involved

#2076 2 years ago

I tried searching posts for “posts” but didn’t find anything, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered in length.

Comparing my CPR to my original playfield there is an extra post wedged in over the meteor drop targets. Is this needed? Does it make any significant change to the game? I noticed it’s not even shown on the little diagram on the old playfield.

338B4AA3-8152-44A2-AFC9-66560FCEF638 (resized).jpeg338B4AA3-8152-44A2-AFC9-66560FCEF638 (resized).jpeg58196043-088B-435D-BB81-5E71CF3A10D1 (resized).jpeg58196043-088B-435D-BB81-5E71CF3A10D1 (resized).jpeg
#2077 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Comparing my CPR to my original playfield there is an extra post wedged in over the meteor drop targets. Is this needed? Does it make any significant change to the game? I noticed it’s not even shown on the little diagram on the old playfield

My original PF has that extra post. My guess is that without it there was a chance the ball could smack into the bulbs there. That would have been an issue with incandescent bulbs since they are glass and fragile. With LEDs the post probably is unnecessary as those bulbs either have no dome, or it is plastic.

#2078 2 years ago

Yeah, honestly, I have never seen a Meteor without that extra post. Be interesting to see if there ware any out there. (And I mean assembled that way, not removed. )

#2079 2 years ago

It should have that post.

#2080 2 years ago

it may have been a previous version without the post, then was added later in the run, they made tons of those

#2081 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, honestly, I have never seen a Meteor without that extra post. Be interesting to see if there ware any out there. (And I mean assembled that way, not removed. )

There is definitely some variation in the playfields. When I reached out to CPR about the #3 drop target slot being 0.3" smaller on their than my original playfield, they were able to pull out their 2 originals and verify that they were both indeed smaller. I posted the pics on my resto thread, but to compare, here they are.

IMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2084 (resized).JPGIMG_2084 (resized).JPGIMG_2085 (resized).JPGIMG_2085 (resized).JPG
#2082 2 years ago

You may be able to carefully round the upper outer corners on the two drops on the ends. That would provide the clearance you need. Practice on an old one to see if it will work and look good.

#2083 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I've never seen a Meteor with the extra post and no post holes either

#2084 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never seen a Meteor with the extra post and no post holes either

Yeah, but you're just strange. Everyone knows that.

Quoted from bigguybbr:

There is definitely some variation in the playfields. When I reached out to CPR about the #3 drop target slot being 0.3" smaller on their than my original playfield, they were able to pull out their 2 originals and verify that they were both indeed smaller. I posted the pics on my resto thread, but to compare, here they are.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting! I am tempted to go measure mine now when I get home. I have not yet done the PF transfer, as I have another game currently being worked on. (And letting Ron's clearcoating cure.) Am curious what I'll find, now.

#2085 2 years ago

The CPR Meteor playfield has so many mistakes on it. I'd never want to run one.

#2086 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

There is definitely some variation in the playfields. When I reached out to CPR about the #3 drop target slot being 0.3" smaller on their than my original playfield, they were able to pull out their 2 originals and verify that they were both indeed smaller.

Could be, but take it with a grain of salt. CPR always says that when they screw up.

Measured my original pf (red Meteor variant). 1 and 3 drop holes measure the same. "Extra" post is there behind the Meteor targets.

#2087 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Measured my original pf (red Meteor variant)

Was wondering if your PF would have that extra post. Good to know..

#2088 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Could be, but take it with a grain of salt. CPR always says that when they screw up.
Measured my original pf (red Meteor variant). 1 and 3 drop holes measure the same. "Extra" post is there behind the Meteor targets.

Is your extra post reflected in the tiny diagram for the rubber too?

#2089 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Is your extra post reflected in the tiny diagram for the rubber too?

No, same as the one pictured above. Diagram shows six across the bottom and one at the peak.

#2090 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is a good side by side that shows how terrible that gold blob around the purple looks.

That playfield looks decent, why go through the hassle of CPRs half assed repro?

#2091 2 years ago

This is a good side by side that shows how terrible that gold blob around the purple looks.
That playfield looks decent, why go through the hassle of CPRs half assed repro?

It has some paint loss on it in spots that someone colored in with a sharpie. I'm going to try my hand at my first playfield restoration eventually, but didn't want to have to count on my skills out of the gate. It may not be to everyone's liking, but the playfield does look good in person.

IMG_2064 (resized).JPGIMG_2064 (resized).JPG
#2092 2 years ago

Half assed repro? Is there someone else's repro you would prefer or would you prefer this repro wasn't available at all? I'm fairly certain based on my experience there is a certain level of variance in all the original machines that came off the Stern production line. I for one am thankful I have the option to restore an original or obtain a brand new pf for these 40+ year old machines. It appears there are many that feel the same way.

#2093 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Half assed repro? Is there someone else's repro you would prefer or would you prefer this repro wasn't available at all? I'm fairly certain based on my experience there is a certain level of variance in all the original machines that came off the Stern production line. I for one am thankful I have the option to restore an original or obtain a brand new pf for these 40+ year old machines. It appears there are many that feel the same way.

At least they finally fixed the missing scores lol. Hopefully the small slot doesn't cause issues the the drop targets.

For the cost they should be perfect. Missing score, ugly brown gold splotches and wrong size slots is too much.

#2094 2 years ago

At least they finally fixed the missing scores lol. Hopefully the small slot doesn't cause issues the the drop targets.
For the cost they should be perfect. Missing score, ugly brown gold splotches and wrong size slots is too much.

Not to mention all the wrong fonts and stuff. "Half assed" describes it well. Especially when you compare to other repro playfields, most of which are much more accurate

#2095 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I mostly agree, it's better than no repro at all. I'm a little torn about the quality issues but in the end when you are playing the game, you don't really think about artwork flaws or colors.

Meteor was in the CPR "boutique zone" for years and I was on the list from almost the beginning so I was thrilled when CPR sent me an email. True, they could have spent a little more time with the graphics. I was more upset about the back glass and then they offered the green version after I had already bought the first release.

#2096 2 years ago

I have a Hardtop I am installing this summer on my Xenon, this thing is PERFECT, exactly like the original PF. I am holding out hope that OutsideEdge makes a Meteor Hardtop. They are less expensive and look much better than this CPR PF looks IMHO. Until they release one I will live with the somewhat worn PF on my Meteor.

#2097 2 years ago

I posted this in the SEI thread but figured I would ask here too.

I’m having an issue where my GI lights flicker, and occasional feature lights flash when using my flippers. Does anyone happen to know what it might be? Could it be a bad ground somewhere or a capacitor issue?

I made a quick video where you can see the tilt light flash for no apparent reason as I mash the flippers.

#2098 2 years ago

So to revisit CPR's latest playfield run.... I read a lot about the problems with the original playfield CPR did, the most obvious being the missing scores for the "Meteor" drop targets. I see they fixed that with the newest run of playfield. How much of the rest of the font, art etc issues were addressed?

I'm asking because I was "lucky" enough to buy the last of the first run playfields, back in December. I'm considering buying another one if enough of the issues were addressed. I have a second Meteor that could use a playfield but for the money, if the missing scores were the only thing fixed I'll probably just live with it.

#2099 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

So to revisit CPR's latest playfield run.... I read a lot about the problems with the original playfield CPR did, the most obvious being the missing scores for the "Meteor" drop targets. I see they fixed that with the newest run of playfield. How much of the rest of the font, art etc issues were addressed?
I'm asking because I was "lucky" enough to buy the last of the first run playfields, back in December. I'm considering buying another one if enough of the issues were addressed. I have a second Meteor that could use a playfield but for the money, if the missing scores were the only thing fixed I'll probably just live with it.

Only the missing scores appeared fixed to me. All the poor font matches elsewhere on the game remained.

#2100 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Only the missing scores appeared fixed to me. All the poor font matches elsewhere on the game remained.

Thanks. If that's the case I'll stick with the one I've got.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

There are 2,930 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-club-we-will-let-you-know-when-the-danger-is-past/page/42?hl=flipperfanatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.